NameRobert COLEMAN III466
Birth1680, New Kent Co, VA
Deathbef 13 May 1748, Picadilly, VA:Caroline
Robert Coleman lived first in Drysdale Parish, King & Queen Co which became Caroline Co. On 2 Dec 1723 (Pat Bk 22, p. 226) Robert Coleman of King & Queen Co received a patent of 1500 acres of land in Spotsylvania Co, St George Parish, on the south side of the middle river of the Mattaponi. On 16 Jun 1727 (Pat Bk 13, p 90) he also acquired an additional 688 acres in that same county. On 9 Aug 1745, Robert made a Deed of Gift to son Thomas of 346 acres of these two parcels on the north side of Robinson Run. Witnesses were Thomas James, Richard Coleman, and Joseph Ray. Deed was recorded 1 Oct 1745, Book D, p 238, Spotsylvania Co.
On 28 Sep 1732 (Pat Bk 13, p 529) Robert was granted 400 acres in St Margaret’s Parish, Spotsylvania Co. On 4 May 1734 (Pat Bk 15, p 209) he acquired 400 acres in St. Mark’s Parish in the Great Forks of Rappahannock River. On 30 Aug 1744 (Pat Bk 23, p 723) he was granted 400 acres of Spotsylvania Co land.
After Mary died, probably circa 1735, because she no longer appears in land records, Robert was living in Caroline Co in a home he named “Piccadilly.” He gave his son Robert 440 acres in Spotsylvania Co in 1741 (DB C, p 155, Spotsylvania Co Records). On 4 Feb 1745 he gave 316 acres to his son John (DB D, p 172, Spotsylvania Co Records), part of the 1727 patent of 688 acres.
Marriage26 Jan 1702-3, VA466