The following has been extracted from Volume
II. See this volume for additional details of the early Lygons
and other related family ancestry.
William Lygon of Madresfield Court, Worcestershire,
seventh in descent from Anne, died in 1720, leaving a daughter
Margaret, who married as her first husband, Reginald Pyndar, and
by him by mother of Reginald Pyndar, who assumed the surname of
Lygon. He died in 1788, having married Susannah Hanmer, daughter
of William Hanmer, and was father of William Lygon, 1st Earl Beauchamp
(1747-1816). The first earl, born July 25, 1747, matriculated
at Christ Church, Oxford, on May 2, 1764. He represented the county
of Worcester in parliament as a follower of Pitt from 1775 until
1806, when he was created Baron Beauchamp of Powycke, Worcestershire.
On December 1, 1815, he was made Viscount Elmsley and Earl Beauchamp.
He died suddenly at his house in St. James's Square, on October
21, 1816; he had married, on November 1, 1780, Catherine Denn,
daughter of James Denn, and by her he left William Beauchamp,
John Reginald, and Henry Beauchamp, successively 2nd, 3rd, and
4th earls, with other issue. Frederick Lygon, 6th Earl Beauchamp
(1830-1891), was born November 10, 1830, was the third son of
Henry, by Susan Caroline, daughter of William, second earl of
St. Germains. Frederick was educated at Eton (1844-1847), and
matriculated at Christ Church, Oxford, December 15, 1848. From
March 1857 to April 1863 he represented Tewkesbury in the House
of Commons in the Tory interest. In March 1859 he was appointed
a lord of the admiralty in Lord Derby's brief ministry. In October
1863, on his elder brother, Henry, succeeding to the peerage,
he was elected M.P. for West Worcestershire, and held the seat
until March 1866, when he became 6th Earl Beauchamp, on the death
of his brother. In the Disraeli administration of 1874-1880, he
was Lord Steward of the Household. He compiled a hymnal for Madresfield
Church in 1853. He died on February 19, 1891, and was buried at
Madresfield, Worcestershire. His eldest son, by his first marriage
to Lady Mary Catherine Stanhope, William Lygon became the 7th
The only references to Richard Lygon in the
Muniments are in August, 1507, when he acquired 'Brodmedow' in
Powycke, on March 1, 1508, and on June 2, 1511, when he granted
a lease of a messuage called Brightyntone. He was Justice of the
Peace in Worcester in 1509 and in 1510 had custody of the lands,
wardship, and marriage of Richard, son and heir of William Reade,
his brother-in-law. (Letters and Papers Foreign and Domestic Henry
VIII, 1510, p. 321). He and his wife had the following children:
Richard Lygon, Sr. died in Madresfield on May 1, 1512.
Elizabeth and Edward had the following children:
Jane Deighton came to America with John Lugg. He died and she married (2) Jonathan Negus. See the continuation of this lineage elsewhere in the Negus Line in Volume III.
Richard Williams was born January, 1608, baptized
January 28, 1606 in the parish of St. Mary the Virgin, in Wooten-Under-Edge,
near Gloucester, England. He died in Taunton, MA, 1692-93, and
his will was probated October 10, 1693, entered October 11, 1694.
They came to America about 1636 to Massachusetts, and seem to
have settled in Dorchester, MA, and were members of the first
Church there. Soon afterwards they moved to Taunton, MA where
Richard had taken up land, about 1636-37. He was one of the original
purchasers, of Taunton, from the Chanset Indians. He is called
"The Father of Taunton." Here a home was made where
their children were born. Their first farm, of over 100 acres,
was on the east side of the Taunton River. Richard Williams' name
stands second on the original "first purchasers" of
Taunton. This purchase was made in 1637, from the General Court
of Plymouth Colony, and is known as the Tetiquit Purchase, and
includes the present towns of Taunton, Raynham, and Berkeley.
Its boundaries were fixed by Captain Miles Standish and John Brown
in 1640. He also made other purchases of land in 1668, 1672, and
1680. The town of Dighton, MA, is named to honor and perpetuate
his wife's family name of Dighton. He was a tanner and a deacon
of the church and, at his death, was the largest owner of the
Taunton Iron Works, which his wife continued to administer after
his death. Taunton is the oldest settlement in Bristol County
and in point of time, third in the Plymouth Colony, after Plymouth
itself, to be incorporated in 1639. Frances and Richard had the
Katherine Deighton married (3) Rev. John Allin.
Date of Marriage unknown.