|The Families in British India Society|
The society was formed in November 1998 to provide a resource for people
researching families and their social history in India from 1600 until the
present day. 'India' includes: the Republic of India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Burma as well as any area
including, Persia and the Persian Gulf, Afghanistan, the Philippines, Malaya, etc., that
was covered by the East India Company or was ruled by the India Department.
What Society Membership offers
- Two journals per year
- Research provided by Donald Jaques at the OIOL (a donation to FIBIS is requested for use of this service)
- Society Events, some of which will be open to non members.
- A Members Research Interests List - putting researchers in touch with each other. (We are investigating suitable ways of putting this online.)
- Other facilities and services are under discussion, suggestions will be considered
- The India mailing list provides a forum for discussion amongst researchers concerned with India.
To subscribe, send an email to India-L-request@RootsWeb.com with the word subscribe
on the subject line.
- Cathy Day runs the comprehensive Family History in India site
- a 'beginner's guide' to tracing your family
history in India. Included are tips on how to use church records and military
records, lists of microfilms you can order (even in the U.S.), a bookstore
with some recommended reading, maps of India at various times, regimental
histories, long lists of names associated with India in the Miscellaneous
Data section, information on cemeteries in India, associations you can
join, lists of professional researchers, and so on.
- Other sites that may be useful to researchers are the
"Historical Maps of India" and "Research Directories
- Those interested in military history should visit Todd Mill's India, internet links.
- If your family was involved with Indian Railways, you may enjoy navigating the links found at, Indian Railways: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
How to Join FIBIS
Membership follows the calender year and costs £10.00 (UK) or £15.00 (Overseas).
Write to Lawrie Butler for an application form.
Copyright © 1999 - 2001 of The Families in British India Society, Reg. UK Charity no. 1072403