2. Elizabeth2 Romaine (John1) was born on 13 Aug 1824 New York?, NY. She married Isaac Skidgell, son of Nicholas Skidgell and Amy Van Wart, on 16 Feb 1848. She died on 1 Jan 1853 Westchester County, NY, at age 28. She was buried Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, Sleepy Hollow, Westchester County, NY.
Children of Elizabeth2 Romaine and Isaac Skidgell were:
3. George W.2 Romaine (John1) was born on 11 Jul 1826 New York?, NY. He married Deborah Jane Cypher on 22 Nov 1846 Croton Lake Methodist Church, Croton Lake [Yorktown], Westchester County, NY, ; they were married by Rev. Daniel Devein (?). He died on 28 Apr 1906 Lower Spring St., Ossining, Westchester County, NY, at age 79. He was buried Fair Ridge Cemetery, Chappaqua, Westchester County, NY.
He and Deborah Jane Cypher appeared on the census listed as age 33 with Deborah age 32 and five children in 1850 Ossining, Westchester County, NY. He was enlisted at Brooklyn as a naval coal passer on the Federal gunboat "Nyack." He lists his birthplace as NYC, 11 July 1826, his father as John and mother as Hannah Logan, his occupation as Shoe Maker and his status as married. He served at the bombardment and capture of Forts Fisher, Anderson, Maine and Loane, and the capture of Wilmington, NC. He gave his post office address as Sing Sing, NY on 30 Aug 1864. He was a shoemaker in 1892 Spring St., Ossining, Westchester County, NY.
Children of George W.2 Romaine and Deborah Jane Cypher were as follows:
4. Mary C.2 Romaine (John1) married Charles G. Hurst. She was born on 5 Jul 1828 New York?, NY.
Children of Mary C.2 Romaine and Charles G. Hurst were as follows:
5. Jacob2 Romaine (John1) was born on 6 Sep 1832 New York?, NY. He married Victoria Baker, daughter of (--?--) Baker, on 20 Sep 1859 Ossining, Westchester County, NY. He married Jerusha Ann Wright, daughter of Charles Wright and Ann (--?--), before 1877 Westchester County, NY. He died on 12 Jan 1890 Pleasantville, Westchester County, NY, at age 57. He was buried on 14 Jan 1890 Sparta Cemetery, Ossining, Westchester County, NY.
He and Victoria Baker appeared on the census on page (or V) 134, John listed as age 27 and Victoria as age 22 in 1860 Ossining, Westchester County, NY. He appeared on the census probably listed incorrectly as "Romain George" aged 37 with children Sarah (10), Ella (9), Minot (5) and John (3) in 1870 Ossining, Westchester County, NY. He and Jerusha Ann Wright appeared on the census listing Jacob as age 46 and "Jerusha" as age 29, with three children in 1880 Ossining?, Westchester County, NY. He was a shoemaker before 12 Jan 1890 Pleasantville, Westchester County, NY.
Children of Jacob2 Romaine and Victoria Baker were as follows:
Children of Jacob2 Romaine and Jerusha Ann Wright were as follows:
He was a steeple-jack between 1890 and 1900 Westchester County, NY. Something of a daredevil, he died from a fall from North Highlands Methodist Church.
He was a "building construction foreman and formerly was active in the Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners, A.F.L" before 31 Jan 1951 Yonkers, Westchester County, NY.
She was a teacher with the Halsted School circa 1910 Yonkers, Westchester County, NY.
6. John2 Romaine (John1) was born on 20 Jun 1838 Westchester County, NY. He married Adelaide V. Friend on 15 May 1872 New York, NY. He died between 4 Nov 1910 and 19 Oct 1911 Allendale, Bergen County, NJ.
He was a shoemaker between 1861 and 1903 New York and Brooklyn. He was a Private enrolled as a three-month volunteer with the 12th New York militia between 19 Apr 1861 and 5 Aug 1861. (He received a pension.)
Children of John2 Romaine and Adelaide V. Friend were as follows:
Note: The information here is presented without citations and may include incomplete research or tentative conclusions. I present this information in the spirit of sharing -- so please share in return and give credit!
Changes: I make mistakes, my sources may be wrong and I may draw incorrect conclusions. If you wish to correct information, please feel free to contact me at the address below. Also, I have attempted to remove information on living people from these published files, however, if you wish to remove personal information for privacy, please contact me ASAP at the address below. Thanks!
© 1999 Paul W. Romaine