Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Families of Warren County

Home ] A History of Pioneer Families of Missouri ]

Warning

Users of this material should be aware of its limitations. It was not painstakingly researched. It should be used like an interview, i.e., as a clue to further research, rather than as an authoritative source. See Dorris Keeven's comments.

Disclaimer: The opinions on these pages are those of the writers and don't necessarily reflect my own views. More..


Home
Bible
Biographical Material
The Black Book
Cemetery
Contacts
Deeds
Genealogy
Guestbook
John Jay Johns Journal
Letters
Links
Maps
Miscellaneous
Notes on Families:
Fawcett
 Johns
Lindsay/Glenday/Durfee
Obituaries
Orrick Johns
Pen of John Jay Johns
Photos
Pioneer Families of MO
Search
St. Charles, MO
Tax Records
Willis

Carl Friedrich Gauss Page
Wilhelm Ahrens Speech
Scan of Letter from Gauss
G. Waldo Dunnington Article

Chambless, Sanderson, Simmons

 

 

A-B     C-D     E-L     M-P     R-Z     Others

 

 

RIGGS.-- General Jonathan Riggs, whose name has frequently been mentioned in this work, and particularly as Lieutenant under CAPT. CALLAWAY at the time of his death, was the son of REV. BETHEL RIGGS, a Baptist preacher, of Campbell Co., KY. In 1812 he removed to MO., and settled within the present limits of Lincoln county; and in 1813 he organized the Sulphur Springs Baptist church. His son Jonathan, married JANE SHAW, of Campbell Co., KY., and they had 10 children: Samuel, Franklin, Tucker, Clinton, Nancy, Epsy, Lucinda, Matilda, Eliza, and Sally. Samuel was killed in Texas, by a runaway team. Franklin died in Wisconsin. Tucker lives in California. Clinton lived in Louisiana, MO. Nancy married JAMES SHAW. Epsy married ELI H. PERKINS. Lucinda married a lawyer, named RAYMOND. Matilda married JOHN MASSEY. Eliza married JOHN MITCHELL. Sally married DANIEL DRAPER. General Riggs settled in Lincoln Co., three miles north of Troy, on the auburn road, where he died in in 1835. His widow died in 1873, and was buried at Louisiana, MO. The remains of several of the children, who had died and were buried in Lincoln County, were removed in 1874 and re-interred by the side of their mother's grave.

RICE. -- An Englishman named Rice settled on the point in St. Charles county at a very early date, and started a large dairy.  His wife made cheese and sold it to the soldiers at Bellefontaine Barracks, in St. Louis county.  On one occasion, as she was returning home after having sold her load, she met a Mr. Loveland, a widower, who wanted to buy some cheese.  She told him she had just sold out, but her daughter had some, and if he would go home with her he could buy it.  So he went along and bought the cheese, and then courted the girl and married her.  The old gentleman often said, afterward, that that was the most successful trip his wife ever made -- she had sold all of her own and her daughter's cheese, and found a husband for the daughter besides. Holland Rice, a brother of this girl, was a farmer and cheese maker also, and had a happy turn of utilizing his resources. Being in need of a smoke house, he sawed off a large hollow sycamore tree, about fourteen feet from the ground, and covering it with clapboards, had as neat a smoke house as he could desire.  He then built a shed room at the side of the tree, which he used as a cheese house. [p. 182]

RAMSEY.-- Capt. William ramsey, a Rev. soldier, came to MO in 1800, and settled on a small stream in St. Charles county, which has since been known as Ramsey's Creek. He removed from there and settled within the present limits of Warren county, not far from the village of Marthasville. Capt. Ramsey was at the battle of Yorktown, and witnessed the surrender of the British army under LORD CORNWALLIS, and during the Indian war in MO. he commanded a company of rangers. He died in Boone Co., MO., May 22, 1845, aged 104 years. He was married twice, and by his first wife he had Robert, John, William, Jr., India, Elizabeth, and Peggy. Robert married a MISS SMITH, and lived near Marthasville. (A history of the murder of his family at that place has already been given) India married THOMAS GILLMORE, who was a ranger under CAPT. CALLAWAY, and present at his defeat. Elizabeth married DABNEY BURNETT. Peggy and William married BRYANs. John married POLLY MEEK, and after his death, his widow married FRANCIS HOWELL.

ROBBINS.-- Prospect K. Robbins was a native of Massachusetts, but came to MO. and settled in St. Charles co. in 1810. He served as first lieutenant in Callaway's first company of rangers. He was a finely educated man, a good surveyor, and taught school for a number of years in St. Charles county. He was the first, and for many years the only teacher of surveying in that county. He subsequently removed to Ste. Genevieve county, where he died.

RICHEY.-- John Richey, of Pennsylvania, married CYNTHIA MALLERSON, and settled in St. Charles county in 1818. He built a small log cabin and covered it with linden bark, and sixteen persons lived in that one little cabin. One summer they were all sick of fever, and not one well enough to wait on the others. The names of Mr. Richey's children were Rosanam, Emma, John, Thomas and Cynthia.

ROBBINS.-- Thaddeus Robbins of Pennsylvania, settled in St. Charles co. in 1818. He was a mill-wright by trade. The names of his children were Thaddeus, Welcome, Miranda, Sophia, Moses B., Frederick, Abigail, Thomas J., and Samuel. Thaddeus died single, while on his way to Pennsylvania. Welcome married MARIA MITTLEBERGER. Moses D. (before, it was B.) married POLLY BEST. Frederick and Samuel died single. Abigail married DAVID MCKNIGHT. Thomas J. married ELIZABETH EWING. Miranda married ELIJAH MALLERSON, of Pennsylvania, who settled in St. Charles co. in 1818.

RUTGERS.-- In 1801, Aaron Rutgers received a grant of 7,000 arpents of land, on condition that he would build a saw and grist mill, and open a store on Dardenne creek, not far from where Cottleville now stands. He built several mills before he got one to stand, and was at a very heavy expense.

REDMON.-- George W. Redmon, with his wife and 4 children, emigrated from Clark Co., KY., in 1828, and settled in St. Charles. He was one of the citizens who, in conjunction with NATHAN BOONE, took the first steps toward incorporating the town of St. Charles, and laying off the commons, which were leased for a period of nine hundred and ninety-nine years. Mr. Redmon died in 1833, but his widow is still living near St. Charles, at the age of 85 years. Their children were John W., Thomas J., Permelia A., and Lucinda. John W. is an active business man, and has acquired a comfortable fortune. He married ANNA MILLER of Columbia, MO. Thomas J. was a volunteer in the Black Hawk war; also in the Seminole war in Florida. He died in 1842. Permelia married CHARLES WHEELER, a lawyer, of Lincoln co., where she now resides. Lucinda married MAJOR N. C. OREAR, and died in 1852. Major Orear was for many years connected with the press of St. Charles, and was for a long time intimately connected with the manufacturing and commercial interests of the city and county. He removed to St. Louis a few years since, and is now engaged in the real estate business in that city.

STALLARD.-- Walter Stallard and his wife, HANNAH PITTS, were both of Virginia. Their son, Randolph, married MARY BULLETT, of Culpepper Co., VA., and they had 7 children: Susan, Maria, Lucy, Thomas, Joseph B., Randolph and Harrison. Joseph B. was a soldier in the war of 1812. He married HANNAH JOHNSON, and settled in St. Charles co. in 1836. They had 7 children: Maria L., Mary E., Amanda M., Mortimer, Adelia, Benjamin H., and George R., who died young. Mary E. married B. H. BOONE; Maria L. married J. C. LUCKETT; Amanda M. married A. S. CLINTON; Adelia married COL. THOMAS MOORE; and Mortimer married AMY CRAIG.

SHELTON.-- Capt. James Shelton was an officer in the war of 1812, and died in 1814.  He married Frances Allen, daughter of william allen, and they had -- Nancy M., Pines H., Mary M., and james N.  Mrs. Shelton and her children came to Missouri in 1830.  Nancy M. married William Frans, and had four children.  Pines H. was married three times, first to Rebecca Carter, second to Mary Wyatt, and third to Mary Scales.  He had ten children in all.  Mr. Shelton represented St. Charles county in the Legislature several terms, and was in the State Senate four years.  He subsequently removed to Texas, and served several terms in the Legislature of that State.  He now lives in Henry Co., Mo., and is an influential and highly esteemed citizen.  Mary M. married William M. Allen, her cousin.  James N. married Jane Carter, and removed to Texas, where he died, leaving a widow and several children.

SMITH.-- A Mr. Smith and his wife, of Germany, settled in Baltimore, MD., at an early date, where they made a fortune, and died. Their son, John A. Smith, was a soldier of the revolution, and became noted for his daring and bravery. After the close of the war, he married, moved to KY., and settled on Licking river, where he remained two years, and in 1799 he came to MO., and settled in St. Charles county. He had 2 sons and 1 daughter: John A., Daniel and Elizabeth. John A. married ELIZABETH SHELLY, and they had John A., Jr., Rebecca, Job, Asa and Daniel. Mr. Smith died of cholera. Daniel married ELIZABETH HOSTLER, and they had Levi, Jesse, Isaac, John, Mahala, Eliza and Daniel, Jr. He was married the second time to POLLY DRUMMOND, and they had one child, Duke Y.

SMITH.-- William Smith and his wife, JOICE HUMPHREY, settled in Montgomery Co., KY., in 1790. They had George, Daniel, William, Jr., Henry and Enoch. Mr. Smith's firs wife died and he was married the second time to MARY E. HOLLEY, of VA., by whom he had John, Robert T., Elkanah, Sarah, Elizabeth, Mary and Lydia. John married ELIZABETH LYLE, and settled in St. Charles Co. in 1819. Elkanah was married first to FANNY BOTTS, of KY., and after her death, he married SARAH GREEN, of MO. He settled in Callaway Co., MO., and built a wool factory in Fulton, in 1826. Elizabeth married MICAJAH MCCLENNY, an early settler and prominent citizen of St. Charles Co. Sarah married RICHARD CRUMP, who settled in Callaway Co. in 1820. Nancy married IRA NASH, of Boone Co. Henry came to MO. and settled in Warren Co. in 1831. He married NANCY DAVIS, and they had George, Mary, Salley, Nancy, Elizabeth, Owen, Maria, John D., Rebecca and William. George was a distinguished lawyer, and died in KY. Mary married ANTHONY WYATT, of Warren county. Nancy married JAMES MCCLUER. Elizabeth married JAMES J. SMITH. -The ceremony was performed by REV. DR. SMITH, and they had 17 attendants all named Smith.-Owen married ELIZA POST, of Callaway county. Maria married HON. HENRY ABINGTON. John D. married SUSAN GIZER. Rebecca was married twice; first to GRENADE HARRISON, and second to THOMAS TRAVIS. She is a widow again, and lives in Warren county. William married ELIZABETH WRIGHT.

SULLIVAN.-- William Sullivan, of Maryland, married SUSAN SIMONS, of VA., and their children were Jerry, Charlotte, Elizabeth, Virenda, Nancy, Davis, and St. Clair. Jerry served in the war of 1812 and married FRANCES COLLINS, of Albemarle Co., VA. they settled in St. Charles Co., MO. in 1825. Mr. Sullivan was a school teacher, and a member of the Old or Ironside Baptist Church. His children were Harriet J., Susan F., Nancy E., Clarissa A., and Mary C. Harriet married PLEASANT KENNEDY, of Warren Co. Susan F. married JESSE E. DARNELL, of St. Charles co. Nancy E. died single. Clarissa A. married FIELDING C. DARNELL. Mary C. married JAMES LOVE, of Warren Co. Davis married MARY SUMMERS, of VA., and settled in St. Charles co. in 1835. The names of their children were Frances, George, St. Clair, and William.

STEWART.-- William Stewart settled in Green's Bottom, St. Charles county in 1798. He married SALLY HOWELL, by whom he had Susan, John, Nancy, Francis H., Elias C., and Melcina, all of whom married and became substantial citizens. E. C. Stewart was sheriff of St. Charles county several times, and was a man of considerable influence in the public affairs of his county. William Stewart had a brother named Jackey Stewart, who belonged to the rangers during the Indian war; and on the day that CAPTAIN CALLAWAY was killed, he and JACOB GROOM were hunting and scouting in the woods not far distant, when they were attacked by the Indians, who fired upon them and wounded Stewart in the heel. Both of their horses were also wounded, Stewart's mortally, and after running a short distance, it fell from exhaustion and loss of blood. The Indians were close upon them, and it was impossible for Stewart to escape on foot, wounded as he was. But Groom, with great generosity, gave him his horse, and they both succeeded in escaping to Fort Clemson. A man named DOUGHERTY was killed by the Indians the same day, in the vicinity of Groom's farm. Jackey Stewart married LUCY CRUMP, and they had William, Edward, Joseph, Coleman, Mary, Sarah and George.

SCOTT.-- Felix Scott, of Monongahela Co., VA., settled in St. Charles co. in 1820. He was educated for a lawyer, and represented St. Charles co. in the legislature several times, and also in the state senate, and was justice of the peace in Dog Prairie for many years. He was a great fighter, but never got whipped. His son-in-law once challenged him to fight a duel, and Scott accepted the challenge. They were to fight with double-barreled shot-guns, and Scott was not to fire until after his son-in-law had discharged his piece. When the fight came off, Scott waited patiently until his son-in-law had fired, and then, instead of shooting him, he laid his gun down and gave him a good pounding with his fists. In 1846 Mr. Scott removed to California, and from there to Oregon. He was an ambitious stock raiser, and exhibited some of his fine cattle at the Oregon State Fair, but did not secure a premium. Determined not to be beaten in future, he went to Bourbon Co., KY., and purchased a herd of blooded cattle, which he drove across the plains to Oregon. But when he was within a day's travel of home, he was killed by a man who accompanied him, and his murderer ran away with the cattle, and was never heard of again. Mr. Scott was married twice. The names of his children were Taswell, George, Presley, Herma S., Nancy, Ellen, Harriet, Julia, Felix, Jr., Maria and Marion.

SPENCER.-- George Spencer married SALLY MCCONNELL, of St. Charles Co. April 14, 1807. Their marriage certificate was the first that was issued in St. Charles district under the American government. The ceremony was performed by EBENEZER AYRES, a justice of the peace. They settled on the Salt River road, about 3 miles above St. Charles, and raised 16 children. Robert Spencer, brother of George, was the first judge of the court of common pleas for the District of St. Charles, receiving his appointment in Dec., 1804. He lived on the point below St. Charles, and in 1822, built the first brick house in that locality. During the overflow of 1824, the water came up into the 2nd story, and not long after, the house was set on fire by lightning and destroyed. Mrs. spencer was a very energetic woman. She milked thirty cows, and made large quantities of butter and cheese for market. Wild cats and Catamounts were abundant in that region, and her cows would sometimes come home with holes eaten in their shoulders by these animals. The names of Mr. Spencer's children were Robert, Jr., Harriet, William, Joseph, Rebecca, John, Sally and Maria. The girls were all well educated, and taught school. Maria was the only one that married.

SUBLETT. -- William Sublett and David Swope, both of Kentucky, settled in St. Charles in 1818, and put up the first billiard table in that place.  Sublett served as a Constable in St. Charles, and afterward went with Gen. William H. Ashley on his Rocky Mountain expedition.  He had nothing but his rifle and a buckskin suit that was given him by the citizens of St. Charles.  He was absent five years, and walked all the way back, traveling at night and lying by during the day, for fear of Indians.  Gen. Ashley, who had formed a strong friendship for him, fitted him out with a stock of goods, and sent him back to the mountains, where he made a fortune trading with the Indians.  He then returned to St. Louis and opened a large store, in company with Robert A. Campbell.  Sublett thought a great deal of the Indians, and had a wigwam built in the rear of his store, where he maintained a family of them during his life-time.  He had no children, and at his death he willed his property ot his wife, with the condition that it should belong to her so long as she did not change her name.  His intention was that she should not marry again, but she afterward married her husband's brother, Solomon, and retained the property while while she evaded the intention of the will. [p. 187]


SHAW.-- Samuel S. Shaw, of England, settled in Philadelphia, where he married CHARLOTTE WOOD, by whom he had Samuel S., Jr., and John. The latter entered the service of the United States Navy, where he died. Samuel S., Jr., married a widow named WILSON, of Boston, whose maiden name was ANN B. THOMPSON, a daughter of AARON THOMPSON and MARGARET DAVIDSON. Mr. Shaw settled in St. Charles in 1819, and went into the mercantile business in partnership with a man named MECHATT. He died in 1823, and his widow continued the business for some time in partnership with Mechatt. She afterward married DR. LUDLOW POWELL, by whom she had 1 daughter, Ann, who married MAJOR ROSS, of St. Charles. The names of Mr. Shaw's children were Charlotte W., John S., and Julia K. The latter died young. John S. married MARY J. ELBERT, of Lexington, KY.

TAGGART.-- James Taggart, of North Carolina, was the father of the following named children: Sally, Anna, Elizabeth, Jane, Richard, Andrew, William and James. Sally, Richard, Andrew, William and James came to St. Charles county at an early date. The first died single. Richard married MARGARET JOHNSON. Andrew married RACHEL EVANS, and they had 16 children. William married MARGARET THOMPSON, daughter of JAMES THOMPSON, and they had Reason A., Sarah, Ann, Margaret and Franklin. Reason married NANCY BALDRIDGE. Sarah was married first to ELIJAH GOODRICH, and after his death, to WILLIAM M. MASON. Ann married CREED ARCHER, of Warren county. Margaret married ANDREW TAGGART. 

TALLEY.-- Dr. John A. Talley, although not one of the pioneers of Missouri, is so well known, and has been engaged for so many years in the practice o medicine and surgery in St. Charles county, that a sketch of his life will not be out of place in this connection. He was born in Cumberland Co., VA., on June 5, 1813. At an early age he became well versed in English classics and the principal Greek and Latin authors, having been thoroughly instructed in them by a private tutor at home; and at the age of 17, he was sent to Randolph Mason College, where, after a rigid examination, he was at once placed in the advanced classes. He remained at this institution two years when he entered the University of Virginia, and graduated in medicine and surgery in 1840. Soon after receiving his diploma he was appointed assistant surgeon at the alms house in Richmond, VA., where he learned the practical application of the theories which he had studied in college. He subsequently practiced a year and a half wit his brother, Dr. Z. Talley, and in the fall of 1840, he started, on horseback, for Missouri, followed by his favorite pointer dog. He located in St. Charles county, and boarded at the house of COL. C. F. WOODSON, who resided a few miles south of the present site of Wentzville. He soon gained a large and remunerative practice, and during the sickly season of 1844 he was kept so constantly in the saddle that he could not procure the requisite amount of rest, and came near sacrificing his own life in his efforts to save others. In 1845 he married PAULINA C. PRESTON, a daughter of COL. W. R. PRESTON, of Botetourt Co., VA. The Preston family is one of the most distinguished and extensive in the United States, and from it have sprung statesmen soldiers and scholars of the highest renown. Two sons resulted from this marriage, William P., and Edwin. The former graduated in medicine at the University of Virginia, and is now practicing his profession at Wentzville. Dr. Talley is advanced in years, but retains his mental and physical vigor unimpaired, and faithfully attends to his extensive and laborious practice.

TAYLOR.--  Richard Taylor, of Virginia, was a commodore in the U.S. Navy. His son, Roger, married HANNAH FISHBACK, of Virginia, and settled in St. Charles county in 1818. His wife was noted for being an extremely neat housekeeper, and as carpets were not fashionable then, she kept her floors waxed. When gentlemen came there on business or to visit her husband, she had them take their boots off, and gave them slippers to wear while in the house. The names of Mr. Taylor's children were Lucina, James T., Sally S., Samuel, Matilda, Mary, Letitia, Caroline, Colby, Eleanor, William, and Jacob. Lucinda married WILLIAM ROSE, who settled in St. Francois county. Sally S. was married three times, first to LAWRENCE ROSE, second to FRANK TAYLOR, and third to DR. B. ENGLISH. Matilda married COLBURN WOOLFOLK. Mary married JAMES CLARK. Letitia married DR. DANIEL MCFARLAND. Caroline married ROBERT NUSOM. Eleanor married GEORGE PARTON. Samuel was drowned in McCoy's creek.

TAYON.-- Charles Tayon, a Frenchman, was commandant at St. Charles for sometime, under the Spanish government. He had a little farm just above town, which he cultivated with a yoke of oxen, which were driven by an old negro named LARABE. The yoke was tied to the horns of the oxen with rawhide strings, instead of being fastened around their necks with bows, and they drew their load by their horns. Mr. Tayon had one son and two daughters. The Spanish government never paid him for his services as commandant, and he finally went to Spain to see if he could have the matter arrange; but he neglected to procure the proper credentials, and was arrested as an impostor and imprisoned for three years. When he was finally released and returned to America, his property had all been squandered, and he was left a poor man.

THOMPSON.-- John Thompson, of Pennsylvania, was one of the early settlers of St. Charles county. He built the first 2-story barn that was erected on "the point", and used the second story for treading out wheat. The floor was made of plank, which he sawed with a whip-saw, and it was laid so that the grain, when it was trodden out, would fall down on the lower floor and leave the chaff and straw above. He had several children, all of whom, with his widow, returned to Pennsylvania after his death.

VAN BURKLEO.-- William Van Burkleo settled near the junction of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers, in St. Charles county, in 1798. He was married three times, first to NELLIE FALLICE, second to MARY BLACK, and third to CLARISSA J. GILDERLAND, who was younger than some of his grandchildren. Mr. Van Burkleo followed the occupations of farming and horse-racing. The names of his children were: Edna, Samuel, Sarah, Eleanor, Mary, William, James, John, George, Joshua Stephen, Elizabeth, Henry, Rebecca, Harrison and Lee, sixteen in all. Mr. Van Burkleo was a ranger in CAPTAIN MUSICK's company, and was killed by the Indians about the close of the war.

WALKER. -- Joel Walker, of Rockingam Co., N. C., was married twice.  His second wife was Sally Bass, of Ireland, by whom he had two children, Warren and Benjamin F.,  both of whom came to St. Charles Co., Mo., with their mother in 1830, after their father's death.  Warren had married Mary B. Meyers, of North Carolina, and they had -- Robert A., Mary D., Sally A., Benjamin F., Warren W., Elizabeth A., Harriet U., and Charles J.  Benjamin F., the brother of Warren, married Julia A. McRoberts, and they had George, Joseph, Milton, Henry, John, Sally, Martha A., and Louisa.  The Mother of Warren and Benjamin F. was married the second time to John Griffin, and they had two children, Joseph and John. [p. 190]

WATTS.-- Samuel R., and George W. Watts settled in St. Charles county in 1830 and 1834. Samuel R. was married twice, first to SALLY PEMBERTON, and second to LUCY SANDERS. George W. was also married twice; first to MARTHA MATTHEWS, of VA., and second to PAULINA FERRELL. He died in Ralls Co., MO.

WATSON. -- Thomas Watson and his wife, Elizabeth Donnell, of Ireland, had three sons -- Thomas, Robert, and William.  Mrs. Watson having died, her husband came to America with his three sons, and settled in North Carolina.  Robert and William died young.  Thomas married Sarah T. Harris, daughter of John Harris, a revolutionary soldier, and settled in St. Louis in 1837.  There he became associate editor of the Missouri Argus, and subsequently purchased the paper.  In 1842 President Van Buren appointed him Postmaster at St. Louis, a position that he filled for four years.  He was subsequently appointed Land Agent for the State of Missouri by President Polk.  Mrs. Watson died in 1865, in her 73d year, and he died in 1870, in his 83d year.  They had nine children, five of whom survived their parents, viz: Henry, Emily, Julia, Sarah, and Thomas.  Henry was married twice; first to Miss Hay, of Tennessee, and second to Maria Bergen.  He resides in St. Louis.  Julia lives in Mississippi, unmarried.  Sarah married John Jordan, of Pensacola, Florida.  Thomas has been a Presbyterian minister for thirty-two years, and is one of the leading divines of that denomination in this State.  He is pastor of Dardenne Church, in St. Charles county, which was organized in 1819, and was the first Presbyterian church established west of St. Louis.  Mr. Watson married Nancy McCluer.

WATSON. -- Archibald Watson  and wife were natives of the northern part of Ireland.  About the year 1789 they emigrated to America, and settled in Pennsylvania, near Easton, on the Susquehanna river, where Mr. Watson engaged in merchandising and where a town called Watsonville subsequently grew up.  In 1802 the family removed to Erie county, and settled on a farm, where they remained until 1819, when they came to Missouri.  The voyage was made on a keel-boat, which they launched on French creek, and floated down that stream to the Allegheny river, from thence to the Ohio, down that river to the Mississippi, and then cordelled their boat up the latter stream to the town of Louisiana, Mo., which at that time consisted of only half-a-dozen log cabins.  During that summer there were three hundred Indians encamped on a creek at the lower end of the town.  The following year Mr. Watson removed in his boat to St. Charles, and purchased a farm about four miles below town, where he resided until his death, which occurred in 1826.  His wife died in 1824.  Their children were -- Mary, James, Archibald, Jr., William, Johnson, Samuel S., John, and Martha.  It was Archibald Watson, Sr., who kept the horses of the members of the Legislature while that body sat in St. Charles.  After the death of his father, Samuel s. purchased the interest of his brothers and sisters in the home place, where he remained and became a successful and prosperous farmer.  In September, 1826, he married Mary A. Lewis, daughter of Charles and Judith Lewis, who at the time was only fifteen years of age, and after the ceremony was over she rode home on horseback behind her husband, carrying her wardrobe in her lap.  They remained on the farm until 1859, and prospered far beyond their expectations.  Having acquired a comfortable fortune, they removed to their present beautiful residence near Lindenwood College, in the city of St. Charles, where they have since resided, enjoying the society of their numerous friends, and the comforts of an elegant and refined home.  Mr. Watson has always been liberal in the support of religious and educational enterprises.  He is one of the incorporators of Lindenwood College, and was for a number of years a member of the board of incorporators of Westminster college, at Fulton, to both of which institutions he has contributed largely.  In 1863 he was appointed by Governor Gamble, one of the Judges of the County Court, and at the end of the term he was solicited to become a candidate for the same office but declined, having no desire to mingle in the turbulent affairs of politics.  Mr. Watson was born in erie Co., Pa., February 18, 1804, united with the Presbyterian Church at Erie, Pa., in 1819, and was chosen an Elder in the First Presbyterian Church at St. Charles in December, 1832, a position which he has held without intermission since that time.    [p.191]

WELLS.-- Carty Wells, of Stafford Co., VA., settled in KY about 1797. He had 2 sons and 5 daughters, and four of the daughters married four brothers. The names of only four of the children can be ascertained now, viz.: Hayden, John, Sally and Margaret. Hayden died in KY., and left a large family. John was married in Prince William Co., VA., to ANNA BRADY, and settled in Shelby Co., KY., in 1810, and in St. Charles Co., MO. in 1827. He settled at a place called Williamsburg, where he was appointed postmaster, and died in 1837. His children were Carty, Jr., Joseph B., James, John C., Thomas F., Jeptha D., Helen B., Euphemia and Jane S. Carty, Jr., studied law and became prominent in that profession. He was circuit and county clerk of Warren County, became a member of the state senate and was circuit judge for a number of years. He removed to Lincoln Co. in 1839, and died in 1860. His wife was MAHALA OGLESBY, of KY., by whom he had 9 children, viz.: Mary F., Euphemia, Anna, Catharine, Richard H., James, Alfred C., Joseph D., and Thomas L. Mary F. married JUDGE SAMUEL F. MURRAY, of Pike Co. Euphemia married WILLIAM W. MCCOY. Anna married WILLIAM A. BEVAN. Catharine married THOMAS HAMMOND. Richard was married twice, and removed to Texas. James was a physician, and lived in osage Co., MO. Alfred C. married a MISS SHARP, and lives in St. Louis. Joseph D. married a MISS GUTHRIE. Thomas L. never married. Joseph, brother of Judge Carty Wells, was also a prominent attorney, and was a member of the constitutional convention of 1855. He removed to California, and entered in the the practice of law in San Francisco, in partnership with JUDGE CROCKETT. He subsequently returned to MO. and died at Troy, Lincoln Co., in 1858. He never married. James Wells married CATHARINE JOHNSON, daughter of CHARLES JOHNSON, who bought COLONEL NATHAN BOONE's place on Femme Osage creek. John C. Wells was a physician. He married CATHARINE CARTER, and lived in Troy. Thomas F. married MARTHA SHELTON. Joseph D. studied law, and died about the time he began to practice. Helen B. married RICHARD H. WOOLFOLK, of KY. Euphemia married JOHN SNETHEN, of Montgomery Co. Jane S. married SOLOMON JENKINS, who was an architect, and planned the lunatic and deaf and dumb asylums and Westminster College, located at Fulton, Missouri.

WOOTON.-- Mr. Wooton, of KY., married MISS MARION of that state and settled in St. charles county in 1816. They had four children: Marion, Elijah, John and Elizabeth. Elizabeth married CALVIN GUNN, and their daughter, Mary, married ex-GOV. B. GRATZ BROWN.

WHITE.-- Jacob White of KY., married a MISS STONE, and settled in the town of St. Charles in 1816. He was a great bee raiser, and had an idea that no one could be successful in that business unless he stole a swarm to commence with. One of his neighbors wanted to purchase a swarm from him one day, but White told him that they would do him no good unless he stole them. The man took him at his word, and stole the bees that night, but they stung him nearly to death as he was carrying them home. Mr. White had 4 children, all daughters, whose names were Harriet, Angeline, Elizabeth and Mary. They all remained single except Elizabeth, who married MR. WHITNEY, of Boston, who settled in St. Charles and opened a shoe store at an early date. Their children were William F., Martha E., and Frank W. William F. married a daughter of HON. A. H. BUCKNER, member of Contress from the 13th district. Martha E. married HON. A. H. EDWARD, at present a member of the Missouri state senate.

YOSTI.-- The father of Judge Francis Yosti, of St. Charles, whose name was Emelieu Yosti, was a native of Italy. He came to St. Louis with some Spanish troops sometime during the latter part of the 18th century, and engaged in the mercantile business. He possessed only a limited capital, by by perseverance and tact, he accumulated a fortune. He married THEOTES DURAN, a daughter of one of the old French families of St. Louis, by whom he had 6 children. The first court in the Territory of Missouri, under the American government, was held in his house, and at one of its sessions, a murderer named JOHN LONG was convicted and sentenced to death. Mr. Yosti died in 1812, and his wife in 1824. Francis Yosti, the eldest child, was born in St. Louis on the 7th of Aug., 1798. He settled in St. Charles in 1829, and married EMILY ADELINE MORRISON. He subsequently engaged in the mercantile business with a MR. MORTISON, at Franklin, in Howard County, where they remained one year. They then loaded their goods into wagons, and started across the plains to Santa Fe, New Mexico. They made the trip in 90 days, and immediately opened their goods and went into business. The following year, Mr. Yosti returned to Missouri, but went back to Santa Fe the next spring. During that summer they disposed of their stock of goods, and Mr. Yosti, in company with nine others, started back to MO. They took the southern route down the Arkansas river, in order to avoid the cold of a northern latitude, and when near the confluence of the Mexquite and Canadian rivers, they were attacked by about 150 Indians. Two of the party and all their horses, were killed, but the bodies o the latter were piled in a circle and afforded a safe breast-work, behind which the survivors gallantly withstood the assaults of the overwhelming numbers of the enemy. They killed and wounded a large number of their assailants, and when night came on, they succeeded in making their escape, but were compelled to abandon all their property, and travel with empty guns, as they had expended all their ammunition in their defense. They traveled seventeen days on foot, through swamps and over hills and rocks, with nothing to eat but roots, bark, and sumac buds. Finally, when nearly exhausted and almost famished, they heard firing on the opposite side of the Arkansas river, which they had followed into the Indian Territory. They rightly conjectured that they were in the midst of friendly Indians, and hastily constructing a raft, they crossed the river and made their presence known. The Indians received them in the most friendly manner, and kindly cared for them several days, until their strength was sufficiently restored to resume their journey, when they furnished them with ponies and accompanied them to Fort Gibson, where they embarked on a boat for St. Louis. Mr. Yosti located in St. Charles in 1834, and again engaged in mercantile pursuits. He was also interested in the milling business with GEORGE COLLIER. In 1857 he began to deal in grain, in company with CAPT. JOHN ORRICK, and continued in that business for sixteen years. He then retired to private life, and now enjoys the fruits of his labors in his elegant home, surrounded by his cultivated and intelligent family. The names of his chidden were Virginia, James M., Emily Jane, William, Euphrasia, and Mary. Emily Jane and William were twins. Virginia died in childhood, and James M. died at the age of 25 years. Emily Jane married JOHN K. LINTZ, and Mary married JOHN A. KELLER. Mr. Yosti was judge of the county court during six years of his life.

YOUNG.-- William Young, of England, came to America and settled in Halifax Co., VA. He served as a soldier in the American army during the rev. war. He married ELIZABETH STEGALE, and they had Archibald, Marland, Milton, Peyton, Wiley, Samuel, Frances and Judith. Archibald, Marland and Milton fought in the Rev. war. The former married and settled in KY., and the two latter in Smith Co., TN. Samuel died in Va., and Wiley settled in east Tennessee. Frances and Judith married and lived in VA. Peyton married ELIZABETH OGLESBY, and they had Celia, George, Nancy, Oglesby, William, Peyton, Elizabeth, and Araminta. Oglesby settled in St. Charles county in 1829. He married JANE LOVE, daughter of ROBERT LOVE and ESTHER BEVAN. 

ZUMWALT.-- Jacob Zumwalt, of Germany, emigrated to America, and settled first in PA., where the town of Little York now stands. He purchased the land upon which the town was subsequently built, and erected a cabin upon it. Being afflicted with a cancer, he removed to VA., where he could obtain medical aid, and settled on the Potomac, not far from Georgetown. But he grew worse instead of better, and soon died. In the meantime, the deed to his land in PA. had been destroyed, and his children lost what would have been a princely fortune to them. This valuable paper was lost in a rather singular manner. One of the girls, while hunting about the house for a piece of pasteboard to stiffen her new sun-bonnet, found the deed, and, being unable to read, she supposed it was some useless piece of old paper, and used it in her bonnet. The deed had never been recorded, and therefore could not be restored, and the heirs to the property never succeeded in establishing their title. Mr. zumwalt was married twice. By his first wife he had Henry, George, Dolly and Lizzie, and by his second, he had Christopher, Jacob, John, Adam, Andrew and Catharine. Christopher and Jacob settled in St. Charles co. on Peruque creek, in 1796, and in 1798 Jacob built the first hewed log house that was ever erected on the north side of the Missouri river. It is still standing, on land owned by MR. D. HEALD, about one and a half miles northwest of O'Fallon Station, on the St. Louis, Kansas City, and Northern Railway. The house was used as a fort during the Indian war, and often as many as ten families found shelter within its walls at the same time. The first Methodist sacrament in Missouri was administered in this house, by REV. JESSE WALKER, in 1807. The wine was made by Mrs. Zunwalt and MRS. COL. DAVID BAILEY, from the juice of polk berries, sweetened with maple sugar; and for bread they used the crusts of corn bread. Adam Zumwalt came to MO. in 1797. He placed his family and $800 worth of goods, with his stock, consisting of 30 head of cattle, 11 sheep and 12 horses, on board a flat-boat, and came down the Ohio and up the Mississippi rivers to St. Charles co. with his clumsy craft. He settled near the present town of Flint Hill, where he erected two still houses and made whisky to sell to the Indians, who were camped near his place. The great chief, Black Hawk, made his home at Mr. zumwalt's for sometime, and was a regular and frequent visitor until after the commencement of hostilities between the whites and the Indians. He often danced with Mr. zumwalt's daughters, and was so fond of his whisky that he frequently became very drunk; but he never caused any disturbance or acted in an ungentlemanly manner. In very cold weather, the whisky would freeze and become solid ice, in which state it was sold to the Indians by the cake, and they often bought as much as $100 worth in a single day. Mr. Zumwalt was a friend of the preachers, and whenever they came into the neighborhood they held service in his house. REV. JESSE WALKER and a German minister named HOSTETTER, preached there as early as 1800. During the Indian war, Mr. Zumwalt's family took shelter in Pond Fort, while he and his son, Jonathan, remained at home to protect the property and prevent the Indians from destroying it. Jonathan had learned to use his gun when only 5 years of age, and was as quick and accurate a marksman as could be found in the country. when he wad 6 years old, he killed a large buck, which plunged about so in its death agonies that he became frightened and ran home, and lost his gun in the woods. On one occasion, the Indians crossed the Mississippi river on the ice, and murdered an entire family of twelve persons, who lived near Mr. Zumwalt's place. He assisted in burying them. The bodies were wrapped in quilts and buried under the house, in a place that had been used as a cellar. The Indians burned the house soon after, and the bodies were devoured by the flames. On another occasion an Indian chief died at Mr. Zumwalt's house, and was buried with a loaf of bread, in one hand and a butcher-knife in the other, and his dog was killed and buried at his feet. These preparations were made in order that when he reached the happy hunting grounds, he would have something to eat, and a dog to find game for him. The names of Mr. Zumwalt's children were John, Elizabeth, Andrew, Rachel, Mary, Catharine, Jonathan and Solomon. John Zumwalt, a brother of Adam, settled on Darst's Bottom, in St. Charles co. in 1806. The names of his children were George, John, Barbara, Mary, Elizabeth, Adam, Andrew, Jacob, Henry and William. Andrew Zumwalt was a devoted Methodist, but his three daughters joined the Baptist church, and their mother said she was glad of it. But the old gentleman was very angry, and said he hoped, now that his family was divided among the churches, that some of them would find the right one and get to heaven, and be contented when they got there, and not want to go somewhere else. There were 5 Jacobs in the different Zumwalt families, and they were distinguished as Big Jake, Little Jake, Calico Jake, St. Charles Jake and Lying Jake.

 

 

A-B     C-D     E-L     M-P     R-Z     Others


 Home


  Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

 

 

 

Site Map
powered by FreeFind

 

 
Search my sites
 
     powered by FreeFind

 

What's New
powered by FreeFind   
Google
Search WWW
Search homepages.rootsweb.com
Search freepages.science.rootsweb.com
Search freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com

Search this site for:

Comments, errata or suggestions? Email me

 
Last modified:Sunday, 09-Nov-2003 16:35:00 MST  

"