RIGGS.-- General Jonathan Riggs,
whose name has frequently been mentioned in this work, and particularly
as Lieutenant under CAPT. CALLAWAY at the time of his death,
was the son of REV. BETHEL RIGGS, a Baptist preacher, of Campbell
Co., KY. In 1812 he removed to MO., and settled within the present
limits of Lincoln county; and in 1813 he organized the Sulphur
Springs Baptist church. His son Jonathan, married JANE SHAW,
of Campbell Co., KY., and they had 10 children: Samuel, Franklin,
Tucker, Clinton, Nancy, Epsy, Lucinda, Matilda, Eliza, and Sally.
Samuel was killed in Texas, by a runaway team. Franklin died
in Wisconsin. Tucker lives in California. Clinton lived in Louisiana,
MO. Nancy married JAMES SHAW. Epsy married ELI H. PERKINS. Lucinda
married a lawyer, named RAYMOND. Matilda married JOHN MASSEY.
Eliza married JOHN MITCHELL. Sally married DANIEL DRAPER. General
Riggs settled in Lincoln Co., three miles north of Troy, on
the auburn road, where he died in in 1835. His widow died in
1873, and was buried at Louisiana, MO. The remains of several
of the children, who had died and were buried in Lincoln County,
were removed in 1874 and re-interred by the side of their mother's
RICE. -- An Englishman named Rice
settled on the point in St. Charles county at a very early date,
and started a large dairy. His wife made cheese and sold
it to the soldiers at Bellefontaine Barracks, in St. Louis county.
On one occasion, as she was returning home after having sold
her load, she met a Mr. Loveland, a widower, who wanted to buy
some cheese. She told him she had just sold out, but her
daughter had some, and if he would go home with her he could
buy it. So he went along and bought the cheese, and then
courted the girl and married her. The old gentleman often
said, afterward, that that was the most successful trip his
wife ever made -- she had sold all of her own and her daughter's
cheese, and found a husband for the daughter besides. Holland
Rice, a brother of this girl, was a farmer and cheese maker
also, and had a happy turn of utilizing his resources. Being
in need of a smoke house, he sawed off a large hollow sycamore
tree, about fourteen feet from the ground, and covering it with
clapboards, had as neat a smoke house as he could desire.
He then built a shed room at the side of the tree, which he
used as a cheese house. [p. 182]
RAMSEY.-- Capt. William ramsey,
a Rev. soldier, came to MO in 1800, and settled on a small stream
in St. Charles county, which has since been known as Ramsey's
Creek. He removed from there and settled within the present
limits of Warren county, not far from the village of Marthasville.
Capt. Ramsey was at the battle of Yorktown, and witnessed the
surrender of the British army under LORD CORNWALLIS, and during
the Indian war in MO. he commanded a company of rangers. He
died in Boone Co., MO., May 22, 1845, aged 104 years. He was
married twice, and by his first wife he had Robert, John, William,
Jr., India, Elizabeth, and Peggy. Robert married a MISS SMITH,
and lived near Marthasville. (A history of the murder of his
family at that place has already been given) India married THOMAS
GILLMORE, who was a ranger under CAPT. CALLAWAY, and present
at his defeat. Elizabeth married DABNEY BURNETT. Peggy and William
married BRYANs. John married POLLY MEEK, and after his death,
his widow married FRANCIS HOWELL.
ROBBINS.-- Prospect K. Robbins
was a native of Massachusetts, but came to MO. and settled in
St. Charles co. in 1810. He served as first lieutenant in Callaway's
first company of rangers. He was a finely educated man, a good
surveyor, and taught school for a number of years in St. Charles
county. He was the first, and for many years the only teacher
of surveying in that county. He subsequently removed to Ste.
Genevieve county, where he died.
RICHEY.-- John Richey, of Pennsylvania,
married CYNTHIA MALLERSON, and settled in St. Charles county
in 1818. He built a small log cabin and covered it with linden
bark, and sixteen persons lived in that one little cabin. One
summer they were all sick of fever, and not one well enough
to wait on the others. The names of Mr. Richey's children were
Rosanam, Emma, John, Thomas and Cynthia.
ROBBINS.-- Thaddeus Robbins of
Pennsylvania, settled in St. Charles co. in 1818. He was a mill-wright
by trade. The names of his children were Thaddeus, Welcome,
Miranda, Sophia, Moses B., Frederick, Abigail, Thomas J., and
Samuel. Thaddeus died single, while on his way to Pennsylvania.
Welcome married MARIA MITTLEBERGER. Moses D. (before, it was
B.) married POLLY BEST. Frederick and Samuel died single. Abigail
married DAVID MCKNIGHT. Thomas J. married ELIZABETH EWING. Miranda
married ELIJAH MALLERSON, of Pennsylvania, who settled in St.
Charles co. in 1818.
RUTGERS.-- In 1801, Aaron Rutgers
received a grant of 7,000 arpents of land, on condition that
he would build a saw and grist mill, and open a store on Dardenne
creek, not far from where Cottleville now stands. He built several
mills before he got one to stand, and was at a very heavy expense.
REDMON.-- George W. Redmon, with
his wife and 4 children, emigrated from Clark Co., KY., in 1828,
and settled in St. Charles. He was one of the citizens who,
in conjunction with NATHAN BOONE, took the first steps toward
incorporating the town of St. Charles, and laying off the commons,
which were leased for a period of nine hundred and ninety-nine
years. Mr. Redmon died in 1833, but his widow is still living
near St. Charles, at the age of 85 years. Their children were
John W., Thomas J., Permelia A., and Lucinda. John W. is an
active business man, and has acquired a comfortable fortune.
He married ANNA MILLER of Columbia, MO. Thomas J. was a volunteer
in the Black Hawk war; also in the Seminole war in Florida.
He died in 1842. Permelia married CHARLES WHEELER, a lawyer,
of Lincoln co., where she now resides. Lucinda married MAJOR
N. C. OREAR, and died in 1852. Major Orear was for many years
connected with the press of St. Charles, and was for a long
time intimately connected with the manufacturing and commercial
interests of the city and county. He removed to St. Louis a
few years since, and is now engaged in the real estate business
in that city.
STALLARD.-- Walter Stallard and
his wife, HANNAH PITTS, were both of Virginia. Their son, Randolph,
married MARY BULLETT, of Culpepper Co., VA., and they had 7
children: Susan, Maria, Lucy, Thomas, Joseph B., Randolph and
Harrison. Joseph B. was a soldier in the war of 1812. He married
HANNAH JOHNSON, and settled in St. Charles co. in 1836. They
had 7 children: Maria L., Mary E., Amanda M., Mortimer, Adelia,
Benjamin H., and George R., who died young. Mary E. married
B. H. BOONE; Maria L. married J. C. LUCKETT; Amanda M. married
A. S. CLINTON; Adelia married COL. THOMAS MOORE; and Mortimer
married AMY CRAIG.
SHELTON.-- Capt. James Shelton
was an officer in the war of 1812, and died in 1814. He
married Frances Allen, daughter of william allen, and they had
-- Nancy M., Pines H., Mary M., and james N. Mrs. Shelton
and her children came to Missouri in 1830. Nancy M. married
William Frans, and had four children. Pines H. was married
three times, first to Rebecca Carter, second to Mary Wyatt,
and third to Mary Scales. He had ten children in all.
Mr. Shelton represented St. Charles county in the Legislature
several terms, and was in the State Senate four years.
He subsequently removed to Texas, and served several terms in
the Legislature of that State. He now lives in Henry Co.,
Mo., and is an influential and highly esteemed citizen.
Mary M. married William M. Allen, her cousin. James N.
married Jane Carter, and removed to Texas, where he died, leaving
a widow and several children.
SMITH.-- A Mr. Smith and his wife,
of Germany, settled in Baltimore, MD., at an early date, where
they made a fortune, and died. Their son, John A. Smith, was
a soldier of the revolution, and became noted for his daring
and bravery. After the close of the war, he married, moved to
KY., and settled on Licking river, where he remained two years,
and in 1799 he came to MO., and settled in St. Charles county.
He had 2 sons and 1 daughter: John A., Daniel and Elizabeth.
John A. married ELIZABETH SHELLY, and they had John A., Jr.,
Rebecca, Job, Asa and Daniel. Mr. Smith died of cholera. Daniel
married ELIZABETH HOSTLER, and they had Levi, Jesse, Isaac,
John, Mahala, Eliza and Daniel, Jr. He was married the second
time to POLLY DRUMMOND, and they had one child, Duke Y.
SMITH.-- William Smith and his
wife, JOICE HUMPHREY, settled in Montgomery Co., KY., in 1790.
They had George, Daniel, William, Jr., Henry and Enoch. Mr.
Smith's firs wife died and he was married the second time to
MARY E. HOLLEY, of VA., by whom he had John, Robert T., Elkanah,
Sarah, Elizabeth, Mary and Lydia. John married ELIZABETH LYLE,
and settled in St. Charles Co. in 1819. Elkanah was married
first to FANNY BOTTS, of KY., and after her death, he married
SARAH GREEN, of MO. He settled in Callaway Co., MO., and built
a wool factory in Fulton, in 1826. Elizabeth married MICAJAH
MCCLENNY, an early settler and prominent citizen of St. Charles
Co. Sarah married RICHARD CRUMP, who settled in Callaway Co.
in 1820. Nancy married IRA NASH, of Boone Co. Henry came to
MO. and settled in Warren Co. in 1831. He married NANCY DAVIS,
and they had George, Mary, Salley, Nancy, Elizabeth, Owen, Maria,
John D., Rebecca and William. George was a distinguished lawyer,
and died in KY. Mary married ANTHONY WYATT, of Warren county.
Nancy married JAMES MCCLUER. Elizabeth married JAMES J. SMITH.
-The ceremony was performed by REV. DR. SMITH, and they had
17 attendants all named Smith.-Owen married ELIZA POST, of Callaway
county. Maria married HON. HENRY ABINGTON. John D. married SUSAN
GIZER. Rebecca was married twice; first to GRENADE HARRISON,
and second to THOMAS TRAVIS. She is a widow again, and lives
in Warren county. William married ELIZABETH WRIGHT.
SULLIVAN.-- William Sullivan,
of Maryland, married SUSAN SIMONS, of VA., and their children
were Jerry, Charlotte, Elizabeth, Virenda, Nancy, Davis, and
St. Clair. Jerry served in the war of 1812 and married FRANCES
COLLINS, of Albemarle Co., VA. they settled in St. Charles Co.,
MO. in 1825. Mr. Sullivan was a school teacher, and a member
of the Old or Ironside Baptist Church. His children were Harriet
J., Susan F., Nancy E., Clarissa A., and Mary C. Harriet married
PLEASANT KENNEDY, of Warren Co. Susan F. married JESSE E. DARNELL,
of St. Charles co. Nancy E. died single. Clarissa A. married
FIELDING C. DARNELL. Mary C. married JAMES LOVE, of Warren Co.
Davis married MARY SUMMERS, of VA., and settled in St. Charles
co. in 1835. The names of their children were Frances, George,
St. Clair, and William.
STEWART.-- William Stewart settled
in Green's Bottom, St. Charles county in 1798. He married SALLY
HOWELL, by whom he had Susan, John, Nancy, Francis H., Elias
C., and Melcina, all of whom married and became substantial
citizens. E. C. Stewart was sheriff of St. Charles county several
times, and was a man of considerable influence in the public
affairs of his county. William Stewart had a brother named Jackey
Stewart, who belonged to the rangers during the Indian war;
and on the day that CAPTAIN CALLAWAY was killed, he and JACOB
GROOM were hunting and scouting in the woods not far distant,
when they were attacked by the Indians, who fired upon them
and wounded Stewart in the heel. Both of their horses were also
wounded, Stewart's mortally, and after running a short distance,
it fell from exhaustion and loss of blood. The Indians were
close upon them, and it was impossible for Stewart to escape
on foot, wounded as he was. But Groom, with great generosity,
gave him his horse, and they both succeeded in escaping to Fort
Clemson. A man named DOUGHERTY was killed by the Indians the
same day, in the vicinity of Groom's farm. Jackey Stewart married
LUCY CRUMP, and they had William, Edward, Joseph, Coleman, Mary,
Sarah and George.
SCOTT.-- Felix Scott, of Monongahela
Co., VA., settled in St. Charles co. in 1820. He was educated
for a lawyer, and represented St. Charles co. in the legislature
several times, and also in the state senate, and was justice
of the peace in Dog Prairie for many years. He was a great fighter,
but never got whipped. His son-in-law once challenged him to
fight a duel, and Scott accepted the challenge. They were to
fight with double-barreled shot-guns, and Scott was not to fire
until after his son-in-law had discharged his piece. When the
fight came off, Scott waited patiently until his son-in-law
had fired, and then, instead of shooting him, he laid his gun
down and gave him a good pounding with his fists. In 1846 Mr.
Scott removed to California, and from there to Oregon. He was
an ambitious stock raiser, and exhibited some of his fine cattle
at the Oregon State Fair, but did not secure a premium. Determined
not to be beaten in future, he went to Bourbon Co., KY., and
purchased a herd of blooded cattle, which he drove across the
plains to Oregon. But when he was within a day's travel of home,
he was killed by a man who accompanied him, and his murderer
ran away with the cattle, and was never heard of again. Mr.
Scott was married twice. The names of his children were Taswell,
George, Presley, Herma S., Nancy, Ellen, Harriet, Julia, Felix,
Jr., Maria and Marion.
SPENCER.-- George Spencer married
SALLY MCCONNELL, of St. Charles Co. April 14, 1807. Their marriage
certificate was the first that was issued in St. Charles district
under the American government. The ceremony was performed by
EBENEZER AYRES, a justice of the peace. They settled on the
Salt River road, about 3 miles above St. Charles, and raised
16 children. Robert Spencer, brother of George, was the first
judge of the court of common pleas for the District of St. Charles,
receiving his appointment in Dec., 1804. He lived on the point
below St. Charles, and in 1822, built the first brick house
in that locality. During the overflow of 1824, the water came
up into the 2nd story, and not long after, the house was set
on fire by lightning and destroyed. Mrs. spencer was a very
energetic woman. She milked thirty cows, and made large quantities
of butter and cheese for market. Wild cats and Catamounts were
abundant in that region, and her cows would sometimes come home
with holes eaten in their shoulders by these animals. The names
of Mr. Spencer's children were Robert, Jr., Harriet, William,
Joseph, Rebecca, John, Sally and Maria. The girls were all well
educated, and taught school. Maria was the only one that married.
SUBLETT. -- William Sublett and
David Swope, both of Kentucky, settled in St. Charles in 1818,
and put up the first billiard table in that place. Sublett
served as a Constable in St. Charles, and afterward went with
Gen. William H. Ashley on his Rocky Mountain expedition.
He had nothing but his rifle and a buckskin suit that was given
him by the citizens of St. Charles. He was absent five
years, and walked all the way back, traveling at night and lying
by during the day, for fear of Indians. Gen. Ashley, who
had formed a strong friendship for him, fitted him out with
a stock of goods, and sent him back to the mountains, where
he made a fortune trading with the Indians. He then returned
to St. Louis and opened a large store, in company with Robert
A. Campbell. Sublett thought a great deal of the Indians,
and had a wigwam built in the rear of his store, where he maintained
a family of them during his life-time. He had no children,
and at his death he willed his property ot his wife, with the
condition that it should belong to her so long as she did not
change her name. His intention was that she should not
marry again, but she afterward married her husband's brother,
Solomon, and retained the property while while she evaded the
intention of the will. [p. 187]
SHAW.-- Samuel S. Shaw, of England,
settled in Philadelphia, where he married CHARLOTTE WOOD, by
whom he had Samuel S., Jr., and John. The latter entered the
service of the United States Navy, where he died. Samuel S.,
Jr., married a widow named WILSON, of Boston, whose maiden name
was ANN B. THOMPSON, a daughter of AARON THOMPSON and MARGARET
DAVIDSON. Mr. Shaw settled in St. Charles in 1819, and went
into the mercantile business in partnership with a man named
MECHATT. He died in 1823, and his widow continued the business
for some time in partnership with Mechatt. She afterward married
DR. LUDLOW POWELL, by whom she had 1 daughter, Ann, who married
MAJOR ROSS, of St. Charles. The names of Mr. Shaw's children
were Charlotte W., John S., and Julia K. The latter died young.
John S. married MARY J. ELBERT, of Lexington, KY.
TAGGART.-- James Taggart, of North
Carolina, was the father of the following named children: Sally,
Anna, Elizabeth, Jane, Richard, Andrew, William and James. Sally,
Richard, Andrew, William and James came to St. Charles county
at an early date. The first died single. Richard married MARGARET
JOHNSON. Andrew married RACHEL EVANS, and they had 16 children.
William married MARGARET THOMPSON, daughter of JAMES THOMPSON,
and they had Reason A., Sarah, Ann, Margaret and Franklin. Reason
married NANCY BALDRIDGE. Sarah was married first to ELIJAH GOODRICH,
and after his death, to WILLIAM M. MASON. Ann married CREED
ARCHER, of Warren county. Margaret married ANDREW TAGGART.
TALLEY.-- Dr. John A. Talley, although
not one of the pioneers of Missouri, is so well known, and has
been engaged for so many years in the practice o medicine and
surgery in St. Charles county, that a sketch of his life will
not be out of place in this connection. He was born in Cumberland
Co., VA., on June 5, 1813. At an early age he became well versed
in English classics and the principal Greek and Latin authors,
having been thoroughly instructed in them by a private tutor
at home; and at the age of 17, he was sent to Randolph Mason
College, where, after a rigid examination, he was at once placed
in the advanced classes. He remained at this institution two
years when he entered the University of Virginia, and graduated
in medicine and surgery in 1840. Soon after receiving his diploma
he was appointed assistant surgeon at the alms house in Richmond,
VA., where he learned the practical application of the theories
which he had studied in college. He subsequently practiced a
year and a half wit his brother, Dr. Z. Talley, and in the fall
of 1840, he started, on horseback, for Missouri, followed by
his favorite pointer dog. He located in St. Charles county,
and boarded at the house of COL. C. F. WOODSON, who resided
a few miles south of the present site of Wentzville. He soon
gained a large and remunerative practice, and during the sickly
season of 1844 he was kept so constantly in the saddle that
he could not procure the requisite amount of rest, and came
near sacrificing his own life in his efforts to save others.
In 1845 he married PAULINA C. PRESTON, a daughter of COL. W.
R. PRESTON, of Botetourt Co., VA. The Preston family is one
of the most distinguished and extensive in the United States,
and from it have sprung statesmen soldiers and scholars of the
highest renown. Two sons resulted from this marriage, William
P., and Edwin. The former graduated in medicine at the University
of Virginia, and is now practicing his profession at Wentzville.
Dr. Talley is advanced in years, but retains his mental and
physical vigor unimpaired, and faithfully attends to his extensive
and laborious practice.
TAYLOR.-- Richard Taylor,
of Virginia, was a commodore in the U.S. Navy. His son, Roger,
married HANNAH FISHBACK, of Virginia, and settled in St. Charles
county in 1818. His wife was noted for being an extremely neat
housekeeper, and as carpets were not fashionable then, she kept
her floors waxed. When gentlemen came there on business or to
visit her husband, she had them take their boots off, and gave
them slippers to wear while in the house. The names of Mr. Taylor's
children were Lucina, James T., Sally S., Samuel, Matilda, Mary,
Letitia, Caroline, Colby, Eleanor, William, and Jacob. Lucinda
married WILLIAM ROSE, who settled in St. Francois county. Sally
S. was married three times, first to LAWRENCE ROSE, second to
FRANK TAYLOR, and third to DR. B. ENGLISH. Matilda married COLBURN
WOOLFOLK. Mary married JAMES CLARK. Letitia married DR. DANIEL
MCFARLAND. Caroline married ROBERT NUSOM. Eleanor married GEORGE
PARTON. Samuel was drowned in McCoy's creek.
TAYON.-- Charles Tayon, a Frenchman,
was commandant at St. Charles for sometime, under the Spanish
government. He had a little farm just above town, which he cultivated
with a yoke of oxen, which were driven by an old negro named
LARABE. The yoke was tied to the horns of the oxen with rawhide
strings, instead of being fastened around their necks with bows,
and they drew their load by their horns. Mr. Tayon had one son
and two daughters. The Spanish government never paid him for
his services as commandant, and he finally went to Spain to
see if he could have the matter arrange; but he neglected to
procure the proper credentials, and was arrested as an impostor
and imprisoned for three years. When he was finally released
and returned to America, his property had all been squandered,
and he was left a poor man.
THOMPSON.-- John Thompson, of
Pennsylvania, was one of the early settlers of St. Charles county.
He built the first 2-story barn that was erected on "the point",
and used the second story for treading out wheat. The floor
was made of plank, which he sawed with a whip-saw, and it was
laid so that the grain, when it was trodden out, would fall
down on the lower floor and leave the chaff and straw above.
He had several children, all of whom, with his widow, returned
to Pennsylvania after his death.
VAN BURKLEO.-- William Van
Burkleo settled near the junction of the Mississippi and Missouri
rivers, in St. Charles county, in 1798. He was married three
times, first to NELLIE FALLICE, second to MARY BLACK, and third
to CLARISSA J. GILDERLAND, who was younger than some of his
grandchildren. Mr. Van Burkleo followed the occupations of farming
and horse-racing. The names of his children were: Edna, Samuel,
Sarah, Eleanor, Mary, William, James, John, George, Joshua Stephen,
Elizabeth, Henry, Rebecca, Harrison and Lee, sixteen in all.
Mr. Van Burkleo was a ranger in CAPTAIN MUSICK's company, and
was killed by the Indians about the close of the war.
WALKER. -- Joel Walker, of Rockingam
Co., N. C., was married twice. His second wife was Sally
Bass, of Ireland, by whom he had two children, Warren and Benjamin
F., both of whom came to St. Charles Co., Mo., with their
mother in 1830, after their father's death. Warren had
married Mary B. Meyers, of North Carolina, and they had -- Robert
A., Mary D., Sally A., Benjamin F., Warren W., Elizabeth A.,
Harriet U., and Charles J. Benjamin F., the brother of
Warren, married Julia A. McRoberts, and they had George, Joseph,
Milton, Henry, John, Sally, Martha A., and Louisa. The
Mother of Warren and Benjamin F. was married the second time
to John Griffin, and they had two children, Joseph and John.
WATTS.-- Samuel R., and George
W. Watts settled in St. Charles county in 1830 and 1834. Samuel
R. was married twice, first to SALLY PEMBERTON, and second to
LUCY SANDERS. George W. was also married twice; first to MARTHA
MATTHEWS, of VA., and second to PAULINA FERRELL. He died in
Ralls Co., MO.
WATSON. -- Thomas Watson and his
wife, Elizabeth Donnell, of Ireland, had three sons -- Thomas,
Robert, and William. Mrs. Watson having died, her husband
came to America with his three sons, and settled in North Carolina.
Robert and William died young. Thomas married Sarah T.
Harris, daughter of John Harris, a revolutionary soldier, and
settled in St. Louis in 1837. There he became associate
editor of the Missouri Argus, and subsequently purchased the
paper. In 1842 President Van Buren appointed him Postmaster
at St. Louis, a position that he filled for four years.
He was subsequently appointed Land Agent for the State of Missouri
by President Polk. Mrs. Watson died in 1865, in her 73d
year, and he died in 1870, in his 83d year. They had nine
children, five of whom survived their parents, viz: Henry, Emily,
Julia, Sarah, and Thomas. Henry was married twice; first
to Miss Hay, of Tennessee, and second to Maria Bergen.
He resides in St. Louis. Julia lives in Mississippi, unmarried.
Sarah married John Jordan, of Pensacola, Florida. Thomas
has been a Presbyterian minister for thirty-two years, and is
one of the leading divines of that denomination in this State.
He is pastor of Dardenne Church, in St. Charles county, which
was organized in 1819, and was the first Presbyterian church
established west of St. Louis. Mr. Watson married Nancy
WATSON. -- Archibald Watson
and wife were natives of the northern part of Ireland.
About the year 1789 they emigrated to America, and settled in
Pennsylvania, near Easton, on the Susquehanna river, where Mr.
Watson engaged in merchandising and where a town called Watsonville
subsequently grew up. In 1802 the family removed to Erie
county, and settled on a farm, where they remained until 1819,
when they came to Missouri. The voyage was made on a keel-boat,
which they launched on French creek, and floated down that stream
to the Allegheny river, from thence to the Ohio, down that river
to the Mississippi, and then cordelled their boat up the latter
stream to the town of Louisiana, Mo., which at that time consisted
of only half-a-dozen log cabins. During that summer there
were three hundred Indians encamped on a creek at the lower
end of the town. The following year Mr. Watson removed
in his boat to St. Charles, and purchased a farm about four
miles below town, where he resided until his death, which occurred
in 1826. His wife died in 1824. Their children were
-- Mary, James, Archibald, Jr., William, Johnson, Samuel S.,
John, and Martha. It was Archibald Watson, Sr., who kept
the horses of the members of the Legislature while that body
sat in St. Charles. After the death of his father, Samuel
s. purchased the interest of his brothers and sisters in the
home place, where he remained and became a successful and prosperous
farmer. In September, 1826, he married Mary A. Lewis,
daughter of Charles and Judith Lewis, who at the time was only
fifteen years of age, and after the ceremony was over she rode
home on horseback behind her husband, carrying her wardrobe
in her lap. They remained on the farm until 1859, and
prospered far beyond their expectations. Having acquired
a comfortable fortune, they removed to their present beautiful
residence near Lindenwood College, in the city of St. Charles,
where they have since resided, enjoying the society of their
numerous friends, and the comforts of an elegant and refined
home. Mr. Watson has always been liberal in the support
of religious and educational enterprises. He is one of
the incorporators of Lindenwood College, and was for a number
of years a member of the board of incorporators of Westminster
college, at Fulton, to both of which institutions he has contributed
largely. In 1863 he was appointed by Governor Gamble,
one of the Judges of the County Court, and at the end of the
term he was solicited to become a candidate for the same office
but declined, having no desire to mingle in the turbulent affairs
of politics. Mr. Watson was born in erie Co., Pa., February
18, 1804, united with the Presbyterian Church at Erie, Pa.,
in 1819, and was chosen an Elder in the First Presbyterian Church
at St. Charles in December, 1832, a position which he has held
without intermission since that time. [p.191]
WELLS.-- Carty Wells, of Stafford
Co., VA., settled in KY about 1797. He had 2 sons and 5 daughters,
and four of the daughters married four brothers. The names of
only four of the children can be ascertained now, viz.: Hayden,
John, Sally and Margaret. Hayden died in KY., and left a large
family. John was married in Prince William Co., VA., to ANNA
BRADY, and settled in Shelby Co., KY., in 1810, and in St. Charles
Co., MO. in 1827. He settled at a place called Williamsburg,
where he was appointed postmaster, and died in 1837. His children
were Carty, Jr., Joseph B., James, John C., Thomas F., Jeptha
D., Helen B., Euphemia and Jane S. Carty, Jr., studied law and
became prominent in that profession. He was circuit and county
clerk of Warren County, became a member of the state senate
and was circuit judge for a number of years. He removed to Lincoln
Co. in 1839, and died in 1860. His wife was MAHALA OGLESBY,
of KY., by whom he had 9 children, viz.: Mary F., Euphemia,
Anna, Catharine, Richard H., James, Alfred C., Joseph D., and
Thomas L. Mary F. married JUDGE SAMUEL F. MURRAY, of Pike Co.
Euphemia married WILLIAM W. MCCOY. Anna married WILLIAM A. BEVAN.
Catharine married THOMAS HAMMOND. Richard was married twice,
and removed to Texas. James was a physician, and lived in osage
Co., MO. Alfred C. married a MISS SHARP, and lives in St. Louis.
Joseph D. married a MISS GUTHRIE. Thomas L. never married. Joseph,
brother of Judge Carty Wells, was also a prominent attorney,
and was a member of the constitutional convention of 1855. He
removed to California, and entered in the the practice of law
in San Francisco, in partnership with JUDGE CROCKETT. He subsequently
returned to MO. and died at Troy, Lincoln Co., in 1858. He never
married. James Wells married CATHARINE JOHNSON, daughter of
CHARLES JOHNSON, who bought COLONEL NATHAN BOONE's place on
Femme Osage creek. John C. Wells was a physician. He married
CATHARINE CARTER, and lived in Troy. Thomas F. married MARTHA
SHELTON. Joseph D. studied law, and died about the time he began
to practice. Helen B. married RICHARD H. WOOLFOLK, of KY. Euphemia
married JOHN SNETHEN, of Montgomery Co. Jane S. married SOLOMON
JENKINS, who was an architect, and planned the lunatic and deaf
and dumb asylums and Westminster College, located at Fulton,
WOOTON.-- Mr. Wooton, of KY., married
MISS MARION of that state and settled in St. charles county
in 1816. They had four children: Marion, Elijah, John and Elizabeth.
Elizabeth married CALVIN GUNN, and their daughter, Mary, married
ex-GOV. B. GRATZ BROWN.
WHITE.-- Jacob White of KY., married
a MISS STONE, and settled in the town of St. Charles in 1816.
He was a great bee raiser, and had an idea that no one could
be successful in that business unless he stole a swarm to commence
with. One of his neighbors wanted to purchase a swarm from him
one day, but White told him that they would do him no good unless
he stole them. The man took him at his word, and stole the bees
that night, but they stung him nearly to death as he was carrying
them home. Mr. White had 4 children, all daughters, whose names
were Harriet, Angeline, Elizabeth and Mary. They all remained
single except Elizabeth, who married MR. WHITNEY, of Boston,
who settled in St. Charles and opened a shoe store at an early
date. Their children were William F., Martha E., and Frank W.
William F. married a daughter of HON. A. H. BUCKNER, member
of Contress from the 13th district. Martha E. married HON. A.
H. EDWARD, at present a member of the Missouri state senate.
YOSTI.-- The father of Judge Francis
Yosti, of St. Charles, whose name was Emelieu Yosti, was a native
of Italy. He came to St. Louis with some Spanish troops sometime
during the latter part of the 18th century, and engaged in the
mercantile business. He possessed only a limited capital, by
by perseverance and tact, he accumulated a fortune. He married
THEOTES DURAN, a daughter of one of the old French families
of St. Louis, by whom he had 6 children. The first court in
the Territory of Missouri, under the American government, was
held in his house, and at one of its sessions, a murderer named
JOHN LONG was convicted and sentenced to death. Mr. Yosti died
in 1812, and his wife in 1824. Francis Yosti, the eldest child,
was born in St. Louis on the 7th of Aug., 1798. He settled in
St. Charles in 1829, and married EMILY ADELINE MORRISON. He
subsequently engaged in the mercantile business with a MR. MORTISON,
at Franklin, in Howard County, where they remained one year.
They then loaded their goods into wagons, and started across
the plains to Santa Fe, New Mexico. They made the trip in 90
days, and immediately opened their goods and went into business.
The following year, Mr. Yosti returned to Missouri, but went
back to Santa Fe the next spring. During that summer they disposed
of their stock of goods, and Mr. Yosti, in company with nine
others, started back to MO. They took the southern route down
the Arkansas river, in order to avoid the cold of a northern
latitude, and when near the confluence of the Mexquite and Canadian
rivers, they were attacked by about 150 Indians. Two of the
party and all their horses, were killed, but the bodies o the
latter were piled in a circle and afforded a safe breast-work,
behind which the survivors gallantly withstood the assaults
of the overwhelming numbers of the enemy. They killed and wounded
a large number of their assailants, and when night came on,
they succeeded in making their escape, but were compelled to
abandon all their property, and travel with empty guns, as they
had expended all their ammunition in their defense. They traveled
seventeen days on foot, through swamps and over hills and rocks,
with nothing to eat but roots, bark, and sumac buds. Finally,
when nearly exhausted and almost famished, they heard firing
on the opposite side of the Arkansas river, which they had followed
into the Indian Territory. They rightly conjectured that they
were in the midst of friendly Indians, and hastily constructing
a raft, they crossed the river and made their presence known.
The Indians received them in the most friendly manner, and kindly
cared for them several days, until their strength was sufficiently
restored to resume their journey, when they furnished them with
ponies and accompanied them to Fort Gibson, where they embarked
on a boat for St. Louis. Mr. Yosti located in St. Charles in
1834, and again engaged in mercantile pursuits. He was also
interested in the milling business with GEORGE COLLIER. In 1857
he began to deal in grain, in company with CAPT. JOHN ORRICK,
and continued in that business for sixteen years. He then retired
to private life, and now enjoys the fruits of his labors in
his elegant home, surrounded by his cultivated and intelligent
family. The names of his chidden were Virginia, James M., Emily
Jane, William, Euphrasia, and Mary. Emily Jane and William were
twins. Virginia died in childhood, and James M. died at the
age of 25 years. Emily Jane married JOHN K. LINTZ, and Mary
married JOHN A. KELLER. Mr. Yosti was judge of the county court
during six years of his life.
YOUNG.-- William Young, of England,
came to America and settled in Halifax Co., VA. He served as
a soldier in the American army during the rev. war. He married
ELIZABETH STEGALE, and they had Archibald, Marland, Milton,
Peyton, Wiley, Samuel, Frances and Judith. Archibald, Marland
and Milton fought in the Rev. war. The former married and settled
in KY., and the two latter in Smith Co., TN. Samuel died in
Va., and Wiley settled in east Tennessee. Frances and Judith
married and lived in VA. Peyton married ELIZABETH OGLESBY, and
they had Celia, George, Nancy, Oglesby, William, Peyton, Elizabeth,
and Araminta. Oglesby settled in St. Charles county in 1829.
He married JANE LOVE, daughter of ROBERT LOVE and ESTHER BEVAN.
ZUMWALT.-- Jacob Zumwalt, of Germany,
emigrated to America, and settled first in PA., where the town
of Little York now stands. He purchased the land upon which
the town was subsequently built, and erected a cabin upon it.
Being afflicted with a cancer, he removed to VA., where he could
obtain medical aid, and settled on the Potomac, not far from
Georgetown. But he grew worse instead of better, and soon died.
In the meantime, the deed to his land in PA. had been destroyed,
and his children lost what would have been a princely fortune
to them. This valuable paper was lost in a rather singular manner.
One of the girls, while hunting about the house for a piece
of pasteboard to stiffen her new sun-bonnet, found the deed,
and, being unable to read, she supposed it was some useless
piece of old paper, and used it in her bonnet. The deed had
never been recorded, and therefore could not be restored, and
the heirs to the property never succeeded in establishing their
title. Mr. zumwalt was married twice. By his first wife he had
Henry, George, Dolly and Lizzie, and by his second, he had Christopher,
Jacob, John, Adam, Andrew and Catharine. Christopher and Jacob
settled in St. Charles co. on Peruque creek, in 1796, and in
1798 Jacob built the first hewed log house that was ever erected
on the north side of the Missouri river. It is still standing,
on land owned by MR. D. HEALD, about one and a half miles northwest
of O'Fallon Station, on the St. Louis, Kansas City, and Northern
Railway. The house was used as a fort during the Indian war,
and often as many as ten families found shelter within its walls
at the same time. The first Methodist sacrament in Missouri
was administered in this house, by REV. JESSE WALKER, in 1807.
The wine was made by Mrs. Zunwalt and MRS. COL. DAVID BAILEY,
from the juice of polk berries, sweetened with maple sugar;
and for bread they used the crusts of corn bread. Adam Zumwalt
came to MO. in 1797. He placed his family and $800 worth of
goods, with his stock, consisting of 30 head of cattle, 11 sheep
and 12 horses, on board a flat-boat, and came down the Ohio
and up the Mississippi rivers to St. Charles co. with his clumsy
craft. He settled near the present town of Flint Hill, where
he erected two still houses and made whisky to sell to the Indians,
who were camped near his place. The great chief, Black Hawk,
made his home at Mr. zumwalt's for sometime, and was a regular
and frequent visitor until after the commencement of hostilities
between the whites and the Indians. He often danced with Mr.
zumwalt's daughters, and was so fond of his whisky that he frequently
became very drunk; but he never caused any disturbance or acted
in an ungentlemanly manner. In very cold weather, the whisky
would freeze and become solid ice, in which state it was sold
to the Indians by the cake, and they often bought as much as
$100 worth in a single day. Mr. Zumwalt was a friend of the
preachers, and whenever they came into the neighborhood they
held service in his house. REV. JESSE WALKER and a German minister
named HOSTETTER, preached there as early as 1800. During the
Indian war, Mr. Zumwalt's family took shelter in Pond Fort,
while he and his son, Jonathan, remained at home to protect
the property and prevent the Indians from destroying it. Jonathan
had learned to use his gun when only 5 years of age, and was
as quick and accurate a marksman as could be found in the country.
when he wad 6 years old, he killed a large buck, which plunged
about so in its death agonies that he became frightened and
ran home, and lost his gun in the woods. On one occasion, the
Indians crossed the Mississippi river on the ice, and murdered
an entire family of twelve persons, who lived near Mr. Zumwalt's
place. He assisted in burying them. The bodies were wrapped
in quilts and buried under the house, in a place that had been
used as a cellar. The Indians burned the house soon after, and
the bodies were devoured by the flames. On another occasion
an Indian chief died at Mr. Zumwalt's house, and was buried
with a loaf of bread, in one hand and a butcher-knife in the
other, and his dog was killed and buried at his feet. These
preparations were made in order that when he reached the happy
hunting grounds, he would have something to eat, and a dog to
find game for him. The names of Mr. Zumwalt's children were
John, Elizabeth, Andrew, Rachel, Mary, Catharine, Jonathan and
Solomon. John Zumwalt, a brother of Adam, settled on Darst's
Bottom, in St. Charles co. in 1806. The names of his children
were George, John, Barbara, Mary, Elizabeth, Adam, Andrew, Jacob,
Henry and William. Andrew Zumwalt was a devoted Methodist, but
his three daughters joined the Baptist church, and their mother
said she was glad of it. But the old gentleman was very angry,
and said he hoped, now that his family was divided among the
churches, that some of them would find the right one and get
to heaven, and be contented when they got there, and not want
to go somewhere else. There were 5 Jacobs in the different Zumwalt
families, and they were distinguished as Big Jake, Little Jake,
Calico Jake, St. Charles Jake and Lying Jake.