Elden Keith Bunten
Agnes Catherine Distel
Clara May Hicks
|Schooling around Olathe began in
the winter of 1883. Charles Young taught the first school class
in the residence of Shep Church. In the spring of 1894, a school house
was erected approximately 4 miles west of the section house on the
eastern edge of Ash Mesa. Miss Myrtle Bell was one of the
first teachers in this new building. The first year, the class
consisted of 8 pupils.
The first schoolhouse, along with the first church to grace the
Olathe community, built later that same year, were built on high
ground (above the river valley), because the Indians told settlers of
regular flooding. However, this proved to be far from the truth.
Olathe's second schoolhouse was built in 1888. Near the west end of
present day Main Street. By 1891, a larger school house was
required and a two-story school was built. It held two rooms
downstairs for classrooms while the upstairs floor was used as a
community hall. Dancing, literary meetings, spelling bees, community
plays, and even occasional church meetings and election polling
By 1900, school enrollment had increased enough that the large
community hall on the second story was rebuilt to add 2 more
classrooms. A large brick school house was built in 1912, and a brick
high school building was erected 10 years later to meet the demands
for more and better educational facilities for the community.
Today, Olathe has elementary, middle grade, and a newly rebuilt high
school to offer Olathe students modern classroom facilities. A
technical/vocational school is shared by all residents of the Olathe,
Delta, and Montrose area, located halfway between Olathe and Delta.
Donna Scarlett graduated 1941. Click on photo for
Theatre tickets were awarded to those who were on the honor roll.