Search billions of records on



Parade in Seattle,Was 1897

My mother Gladys Van Horn 
at front of wagon at church picnic abt 1910. 


Mom and Dad had cars before I was born and perhaps some after that, but we did not have any for a while after we moved to our home off of Highway 11. I can barely remember getting a model T Ford. I was quite small. I remember mom had problems starting it and dad telling her to give it more spark. It had two levers near the steering wheel. One was for spark and the other for choke. I can remember dad cranking it and mom moving the spark or choke as dad told her to do. There was no heat and we covered with blankets when it got cool. We did not travel when it was cold.  I used to watch the radiator cap as we drove along. I am not sure what the fascination was about that cap, but I thought it was great. It was a silver domed shape with two cross bar grips. We got stuck in a muddy spot one time when we returned home from my Grandparents, the Clovers. Mom always started home before dark, but we did not make it that time. I think she walked home. It had to have been at least 2 miles. It seems that dad came after Lila and I on foot and got the car out. I can remember it seems hours.
Another car we got was a roadster of some sort. I think it was a Hudson. We were so proud of it. I remember asking dad before he brought it home if it went "put put" or "vroom vroom.  "He laughed hard and said the latter. I remember dad draining the radiator most of the time and putting hot water in it to get it started in the winter. I am not sure for the reason behind this. All of our cars were used and always needed repair as that was all my parents could afford. Another car I remember is one we got from a neighbor, Earl Derrick, our daughter in law's great Grandfather now. He had my dad to upholster it a few years before in a tan corduroy. It had been repainted and looked "slick" It was a Model"A" 4 door.
One time my 8th grade class had a party and Thelma , now my sister inlaw, came home with me.  We drove it to the party that was less than ten miles away. I was a slight bit uneasy about being teased about our old car, but the boys thought it was great. Some of them chased us home. I was a very good driver and may have gone 40 miles an hour trying to elude them.
That was very fast for me. I learned to drive at a very early age. My sister Lila and I used to sit on dad's lap and steer, then when I got big enough he let me drive with him. I can still remember trying to go without jumping the car. I mastered it easily and then learned to shift the gears with ease too. When I was 11 years old, I was driving a lot. I was driving my mom to Wakita to shop each Saturday when I was 12 years old. Dad did not enjoy driving and mom was always a horrible driver. I loved to drive and got to do plenty of it.
During the war we got a 1936 Chevy. It was a good car and I drove it a lot. We were driving this when I was dating Wayne. I was then 16 years old and still did not have a driver's license. I was literally petrified at taking a test and would have frozen if I had met a Highway Patrolman. We rarely ever saw a patrolman back in the 40's. The roads I traveled were dirt and no one ever drove very fast on them.
I drove the new 1947 Ford that Wayne got shortly before I met him.  After we got married, I finally got my driver's license when I was 19 years of age. I tried when I was pregnant with April and when they found I was pregnant, they told me to come back after she was born. I was shaking when I took the test, but made an excellent score. I was relieved to be driving
legal after that. Since that time we have had many new cars and trucks.
Lois Caywood Guffy
Byron Oklahoma.