THE TAYLOR SCHOOL
Click on the picture for a full view
Erected in 1929 and located on the upper end of
Martin Co., Ky, this one-room school has seen several students and teachers
pass through it's door. It was built on an 80' square parcel of land
purchased from John Greene Taylor who agreed to the sale in order for their
grandson to be able to receive his schooling closer to home. Before
this, children had to walk to school at Whitepost, KY. The school
was one-room, with outhouses out back and a hand-dug well in front.
It contained grades 1-8. John G. Taylor also bought and donated the
school house bell.
A Board of Trustees was established consisting
of three local men. Wayne Taylor, Keene Taylor, and Joe Marcum.
These men were responsible for the hiring of teachers, keeping in coal
for the pot-bellied stove, and general upkeep of the school. Keene
Taylor also built the teachers desk, which was autographed inside the drawer
by each successive teacher.
In later years, the school was wired for electricity
by Raymond Taylor, Wayne's son, and in 1961, Mrs. Pearl Hensley, who was
the last teacher, initiated a hot lunch program. Using a two-burner
hot plate, refrigerator, and commodities provided by the Martin Co. Board
of Education, she served children who otherwise may not have gotten a well
The school was also used as a Sunday School, Church
and voting poll. Around 1939, the Presbyterian Church set up an outpost
Sunday School there. A Mr. Donaldson from Pikeville, KY was the first
teacher. This program was continued for around 14 years. Some
of those attending and teaching included: W. L. Goodmna, Dr. Doggett, June
Gentile, Dr. Brown, Ammars, Persingers, Dr. Patterson, Flippens, Dr. Banks,
Dr. Quincy, Nancy Slaven, Ann Athy, Bermans, and Alberts, among others.
It was later used as the Taylor Mission Church.
It remained standing through the '77 Flood until the construction of Corridor
G buy-outs, as a reminder of a soon-to-be-forgotten era.
Donna Taylor Goble