Granger is the central northern township of Allegany County. It contains 20,450 acres and was originally a part of the Morris Reserve; it formed a part of the town of Leicester, then Angelica from Feb 25, 1805 to March 11, 1808; then until March 8, 1827 it formed a part of Nunda. From 1827 to April 1838 it was part of Grove, and was then set off as "West Grove", retaining that name until March 6, 1839, then changed to Granger. A meeting was held at Short Tract at which a change of name was considered, and "Perth Amboy;" and "Pine Grove" were spoken of but at the suggestion of Wm. Van Nostrand, it was named for Francis Granger, of Canandaigua, then postmaster general. It is bounded on the north by the town of Portage, Livingston Co., east by Grove, south by Allen, and west by Hume, the Genesee river forming more than half of its western boundry. Its waters are all tributary to the Genesee river, mostly finding there way to the river through Rush creek, the only stream in the town which has a name. The Indians called it Shonnety-ye. The surface of Granger is generally a hilly upland thrown into ridges conforming to the course of Rush creek, which has its source in the northeast part of town, and pursues a southwest course to a point about a mile and a half east of the southwest corner, where it enters Allen. Returning in a northwest direction it cuts off a small part of the southwest lot, and enters Hume. Its soil is better adopted to grazing and not crops and the prevailing industry is dairying. It is especially adopted to sheep husbandry.
Read more about the History of the Township of Granger and Village of Short Tract
Granger Town Historian
R.D. #1 Fillmore, NY 14735
*code #s refer to the Allegany County Cemetery Index card file at the Allegany County Historical Society and FHL/FHC microfilm. See WNYGS Journal, Vol. II, No. 1