Once upon a time somewhere in the German Empire, there was a young farmer named Karl Krüger. His young wife was Adeline "Lena" Ewalt was born in Belgard, Western Prussia the daughter of Karl Ewalt and Minnie Bork. There is a chance that Minnie's real name was Wilhelmine.
In 1882, they decided to leave Germany, which was under the rule of Kaiser Wilhelm II, for a new life in the United States of America. With their three small children in tow, Bertha age 4, Otto age 3, and Hermann age 6 months, they boarded the SS. Hermann in Bremen, Germany, bound for Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America.
They arrived on March 13, 1882 at Maryland and it appears that from there they went to Wisconsin. The area that they reportedly settled in was a small town in Green Lake County named Berlin. Reasons for that destination are unclear at this time, but with the abundance of Krüger's in the Wisconsin area I have reason to beleive that there may be family in that area. In February of 1885, little Emma was born to the couple. Some time later, they deceided to leave Wisconsin for Ohio.
By July of 1892, they had settled in Cleveland, Ohio on the shores of Lake Erie. This is when Walter was born. They had two more children in Cleveland, Louis in 1894, and Laura in 1896. Also by this time, their names had been "Americanized" to Krueger. Karl had become "Carl "or "Charles" in some records and Hermann had become "Herman".
Louis Krueger was my grandfather. I know very little about him, as he was hospitalized from 1941 until his death in 1980. I know even less about his family, except what I have been able to find in county and city records. I have dates of births, marriages, deaths, but I have nothing about the people as a family,
I am looking for further information on the family, perhaps a connection to the family in Wisconsin. Below is the information I have on the family.
- Carl Krueger
- Born in Germany 3 March 1848
- Died in Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, 31 March 1916
- Married in Germany about 1877 to:
- Adeline "Lena" Ewald
- Born in Germany 22 October 1856
- Died in Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio June 1930
- Lena was married a second time after Karl's death to Frederich Burmeister in 1921
- Bertha Krueger
- Born 22 September 1877 in Germany
- Married John George Loeb 30 May 1898
- Died 11 February 1932
- Otto Frank Krueger
- Born 20 March 1878 in Germany
- Married Anna L. Blumquist 24 September 1903
- Died 17 March 1966
- Herman Charles Krueger
- Born 8 January 1881 in Germany
- Married Gertrude Raddatz 26 September 1906
- Died 9 December 1966
- Emma Krueger
- Born 25 February 1885 in Wisconsin
- Married Charles F. Hall 15 May 1906
- Died 19 June 1981 in Brunswick, Ohio
- Walter Krueger
- Born 16 July 1892 in Cleveland, Ohio
- Died 27 May 1936 in Cleveland, Ohio
- Louis Elmer Krueger
- Born 12 September 1894 in Cleveland, Ohio
- Married Wilhelmine (Minnie) Schell 20 October 1920
- Died 20 January 1980 in Cleveland, Ohio
- Laura Krueger
- Born 21 October 1896 in Cleveland, Ohio
- Married Herbert W. Heid 15 January 1920
- Died October 1982 in Temple City, California
Please check out the Krueger GenConnect Boards. And you might like to subscribe to the KRUEGER-L mail list. You never know what you might find there!!
Check out the information on my Grandmother's family,
Schell or Schittkowski,
it all depends on the year and document you are looking at!
This site is generously
Hosted by RootsWeb
Copyright Notice: These pages and their design is copyrighted by Lorraine Newsome. They may not be reproduced in part or in their entirety without express permission of Lorraine Sonnenberg Newsome, email@example.com with the exception of use on personal computers for individual use only.
Last revised:04 Feb 2005