Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Towns and Localities
Shire of Towong


For a map of this shire click HERE.

Annandale
Banimboola
Beetoomba
Bellbridge
Belmer Heights (see Bellbridge)
Berringama
Bethanga
Biggara
Bolga (see Tallangatta)
Brashs Park
Bringenbrong Crossing Place
Bucheen Creek
Bullhead Creek
Bullioh
Bullwah (see Bullioh)
Bungil
Burrowye
Callaghan Creek
Canvastown
Cascade (see The Cascade)
Colac Colac
Corryong
Cotton Tree Creek (see Granya)
Cravensville
Crawford Crossing
Cribbage Creek (see Sunny Point)
Cudgewa
Cudgewa North
Darbyshire
Dark River (see Dart River)
Darling's Camp (see Sunny Point)
Dart River
Dartmouth
Dingo Town (see Lightning Creek)
Eskdale
Fairyknowe
Fernvale
Georges Creek
Georgio (see Georges Creek)
Glendart
Granite Flat
Granya
Gravel Plains (see Corryong)
Guys Forest
Henlow
Hindleton
Hodgson Crossing
Jarvis Creek
King's Camp (see Sunny Point)
Koetong
Lightning Creek
Little Snowy Creek
Lucyvale
Lucydale (see Lucyvale)
McMahons Creek
McNamara Crossing
Mitta Mitta
Mitta North
Mount Alfred
Mount Elliot
Mount Elmo
Nariel
Nariel Creek
Nariel Gap
Nariel Junction
Nariel Upper (see Nariel)
Noorongong
Old Tallangatta (see Tallangatta)
Penny Flat
Pine Mountain
Saltpetre Creek (see Sunny Point)
Sassafras Creek (see Sunny Point)
Shelley
Snowy Creek (see Granite Flat)
Snowy Creek (see Mitta Mitta)
Spring Creek (see Wagra)
Staceys Bridge
Sunny Point
Talgarno
Tallandoon
Tallandoon North
Tallangatta
Tallangatta East
Tallangatta Valley
The Cascade
Thologolong
Thowgla
Thowgla Upper
Thowgla Valley
Thunder and Lightning Creek (see Lightning Creek)
Tintaldra
Tom Groggin
Towong
Towong Upper
Upper Dark River (see Canvas Town)
Upper Dart River (see Canvas Town)
Wagra
Walwa
Wild Horse Hill
Williamstown
Willow Crossing
Wyeebo
Yabba

---------------------------------------------------------

Return to Towns/localities page.

Return to home page.


Annandale
Approximate Location: About 5-10km east of Bullioh and south of the Murray Valley Highway.
Comments: Named after a town in Scotland.
Schools: SS3534 opened in 1907 part-time with SS2945 Bullioh until it began part-time operation with SS3068 Koetong in 1912. The school closed in 1915.


Banimboola
Approximate Location: Locality near Dartmouth.


Beetoomba
Approximate Location: Farming district 3km south of Berringama and just south of the Murray Valley Highway.


Bellbridge
Approximate Location: 15 km east of Wodonga on the eastern edge of Lake Hume (roughly across from the weir).
Comments: Previously called Belmer Heights but name changed by residents. Bellbridge gazetted in 1970..


Berringama
Approximate Location: About 25km west of Corryong on the Murray Valley Highway.
Schools: SS2967 opened in 1890, worked part-time with SS3604 Lucyvale for a period in the 1910s and closed some time after 1970.
Buildings: A Mechanics' Institute hall is in existence (details of it are unknown). 


Bethanga
Approximate Location: 10 km east of Wodonga on the eastern edge of Lake Hume (roughly across from the weir).
Comments: Bethanga station taken up in 1846 by R and D Johnston. Gold discovered 1853 and further rushes occurred in the area in the mid 1860s and late 1870s.
The township was surveyed in 1879 and proclaimed in 1885.
Schools: SS1883 opened in 1887 and was still operating in 2003.
Buildings: A Soldiers Memorial hall is in existence (details of it are unknown).
Cemetery: For details of the cemetery click here.


Biggara
Approximate Location: On NSW border, approximately 15kms south east of Corryong and 15kms south of Towong.
Comments: Aboriginal word for red earth. Location of Whitsed's Dairy which was one of the first properties north of the Alpine National Park along the Indi (Murray) River and one of Victoria's first "organic" dairies. (Mike Flattley)
Schools: SS4350 opened in 1925 and closed in 1953.


Brashs Park
Approximate Location: 20 km east of Nariel in the Alpine National Park and just inside the Vic border. Very isolated.


Bringenbrong Crossing Place
Approximate Location: On the Murray Valley Highway about 15km east of Corryong. It is where the highway crosses the Murray River. Brigenbrong is a small town on the NSW side. Also now known as Bringenbrong Bridge.


Bucheen Creek
Approximate Location: 20km SE of Tallangatta Valley basically at the end of the Tallangatta Creek Rd.


Bullhead Creek
Approximate Location: About 15km south of Yabba on the Yabba Road. Roughly 25km SSE of Tallangatta (as the crow flows).
Schools: SS3977 Bullhead opened in 1919 part-time with SS3974 Mitta North, then working full-time from later that year until it closed in 1942, re-opened in 1943 and finally closed in 1947.


Bullioh
Approximate Location: 15km east of Tallangatta.
Comments: Aboriginal word for mountain. The town was also known as Bullwah.
Schools: A private school existed before SS2495 Tallangatta Creek North opened in 1882. The school was renamed Bullioh sometime before 1907. From 1907 it worked part-time with SS 3534 Annandale resuming full-time operation before 1912. The school closed some time after 1970.
Buildings: A public hall is in existence (details of it are unknown). 


Bungil
Approximate Location: 35km NE of Tallangatta on the upper reaches of the Murray Arm of Lake Hume.
Comments: Also name of local station taken up in 1836.
Schools: A private school was operating since 1880. SS2473 opened in 1882, closed in 1893, re-opened in 1912, closed in 1935 when the school was destroyed by storm, re-opened some time later but finally closed in 1970.


Burrowye
Approximate Location:  Close to the Murray River. NE of Tallangatta and NW of Corryong and about 50km from both towns.
Schools: SS3646 opened in 1910. It closed in 1926, re-opened in 1929, worked part-time with SS4535 Thologolang from 1933 until its closure in 1935, re-opened part-time with SS4538 Shelley in 1938, resumed full-time operation in 1939, was part-time with SS3068 Koetong in 1941, resumed full-time operation in 1942, and finally closed in 1958.


Callaghan Creek
Approximate Location: NE of Mitta Mitta and NW of Dartmouth and about 15km from both.
Schools: SS3527 opened in 1906 working half time with SS3528 McMahons Creek (20 kms away). When SS3528 McMahons Creek/Banimboola closed in 1920, the school operated part-time with SS1186 Granite Flat/Snowy Creek until it closed in 1922.It operated again for 11 months in 1934/5. It re-opened part-time with SS1186 in 1936 until both schools finally closed in 1940.


Canvastown
Approximate Location: 1.5km upstream from (and SE of) Glen Dart, NW of present Lake Dartmouth, 5 km west of the Benambra - Corryong Road.
Short history: Gold mining area on the Little Dart Creek from c1885 to c1900. In 1895 Canvastown had four stores, a hotel and several stables. Mining claims include Glengarry, Rose of Denmark, Cornstock, Dark River Extended, Mitta Mitta, Spread eagle and Home Sweet Home. Alternative names were Upper Dart River and Upper Dark River. Peak population was 100+.
Schools: A school existed halfway between Canvastown and Glen Dart in 1893.


Colac Colac
Approximate Location: 10km west of Corryong on the Murray Valley Highway.
Comments: Settled by the Wheeler family, said to mean "meeting place of two tribes", presumably a border between two aboriginal nations or clan groups. It is said that the Wheeler family hid a local Aboriginal fleeing troopers in their flour bin at the original homestead (late 19th C.). The grateful man had been chewing on a Currajong root, and planted it by the nearby billabong, where it grew into a magnificent tree that was only recently destroyed by lightning. (Mike Flattley)
Schools: SS2962 opened in 1889 and worked part-time with SS3622 Nariel from 1909 until 1914, part-time with SS3848 Towong Upper from 1914 until resuming full-time operation in 1916 and closed in 1951 when Corryong Consolidated School opened.
Cemetery: There are ruins of a small family cemetery for the Wheeler family on private land in a paddock neighbouring their old homestead and dairy. (Mike Flattley). For details click here.


Corryong
Approximate Location: 100k east of Wodonga on the Murray Valley Highway and less than 15km from the NSW border.
Comments: Previously called Gravel Plains. Township surveyed and proclaimed in 1875.
Schools: Rural School 127 opened in 1872. It became SS1309 in 1874. It was also known as Corryong Upper Murray High School. The school became a Higher Elementary School in 1913.
A separate High School was established in 1953.
Buildings: A court house was built in Jardine Street in 1912 and still held occasional sittings until at least 2000.
A small timber Mechanics' Institute was built about 1882 in Hansen Street, with a couple of small additions following shortly after. It was replaced by a bigger building in 1914 which was in turn replaced by the current brick building in about 1959. The building is now called the Memorial Hall.
Cemetery: For details of the cemetery click here. Also note there is a nearby small cemetery at Millers Hill.
Museum: Click here.
Newspapers: Click here.
Books:
See the Books page for details of books about this town.


Cravensville
Approximate Location: 50km SE of Tallangatta.
Comments: Named after the local surveyor and MP Albert Craven.
Schools: SS3099 opened in early 1890s and was working part-time in 1909 with SS3604 Lucyvale, burnt down in 1910, re-opened in 1912, burnt down again in 1935. It re-opened in 1951 and closed some time after 1970.


Crawford Crossing
Approximate Location: About 30km south of Colac Colac on the Corryong-Benambra Road. South of Willow Crossing and north of Hodgson Crossing.


Cudgewa
Approximate Location: 15km west of Corryong north of the Murray Valley Highway.
Schools: SS1956 Cudgewa Creek opened in 1877. In 1923 the school name was changed to Cudgewa. The school closed some time after 1970.
Churches:
A Methodist church was opened on 24 February 1889 although services may have begun as early as 1876.
Buildings: A timber Mechanics' Institute was built about 1887 in Main Street. It was replaced in 1919 with major additions in 1963.
Cemetery: For details of the cemetery click here.
Books:
See the Books page for details of books about this town.


Cudgewa North
Approximate Location: 15km north of Cudgewa.
Schools: SS3307 opened in 1898, closed in 1920, re-opened in 1922 and finally closed in 1959.


Darbyshire
Approximate Location: Locality just north of the Murray Valley Highway 5-10km east of Bullioh.


Dart River
Approximate Location: About halfway between Benambra and Corryong and very close to, and may be considered as part of, Glendart.
Comments: Previously surveyed and proclaimed as Dark River in 1893 but name changed in the early 20th century to Dart River. Former goldfield.
Schools: SS3159 Dark River opened in 1892 and closed in 1902.


Dartmouth
Approximate Location: 20km east of Mitta Mitta.
Comments: Goldfield from the 1880s.
Schools: SS3625 Dartmouth opened in 1909, was part-time with SS3669 Dartmouth South in 1910 and 1911, and closed in 1912.
SS3669 Dartmouth South opened in 1911 part-time with SS3625 Dartmouth. It was south of the Dartmouth River and its reason for existence was mainly due to the fact that children could not cross the river to attend SS3625 at Dartmouth across the river (although obviously the teacher had to). The school closed in 1912.


Eskdale
Approximate Location: About halfway between Tallangatta and Mount Beauty on the Kiewa Valley Highway.
Schools: SS2318 opened in 1881 initially operating schools at both Eskdale and Tallandoon until Tallandoon received its own number (SS2533) in 1883 and both became full-time. The school was still operating in 2003.


Fairyknowe
Approximate Location: About 10km south of Yabba on the Yabba Road. Roughly 20km SSE of Tallangatta (as the crow flows).


Fernvale
Approximate Location: Just under 15km south of Tallangatta on the Omeo Highway.
Buildings
: A public hall previously existed and may or may not have survived (details of it are unknown).


Georges Creek
Approximate Location: 10km NE of Tallangatta.
Comments: The district was also known as Georgio.
Schools: SS3052 Bullioh opened in 1890, worked part-time with SS3311 Jarvis Creek from 1898 until 1904 when it resumed full-time operation. In 1907 the school was renamed Georges Creek. The school closed in 1954.


Glendart
Approximate Location: Locality just west of the Corryong-Benambra Road about 10km south of Nariel.
Comments:
Former goldfield. See also Dart River.


Granite Flat
Approximate Location: About 8km SE of Mitta Mitta.
Comments: Also known as Snowy Creek for part of its life.
Schools: SS1186 Granite Flat opened in 1873 and closed in 1893. It re-opened in 1936 part-time with SS3527 Callaghan Creek and both schools finally closed in 1940. The school was also called Snowy Creek during part of its life. The school may have also operated in the 1920s.


Granya
Approximate Location: 20km NE of Tallangatta.
Comments: Goldrush in 1878.
Schools: SS2250 Cotton Tree Creek (an alternative name for Granya at that time) opened in 1880 and closed some time after 1970.
Buildings: An Athenaeum Hall is in existence (details of it are unknown).
Cemetery: For details of the cemetery click here.


Guys Forest
Approximate Location: Half way between Shelley and Walwa and about 25km NW of Corryong (as the crow flies).
Comments: William Guy settled in the area in 1838.
Schools: SS3491 opened in 1904, worked part-time with SS4538 Shelley in 1936 and closed in 1938.


Henlow
Approximate Location: 15km SE of Tallangatta Valley on the Tallangatta Creek Rd.


Hindleton
Approximate Location: 8km NE of Bullioh.
Schools: SSS4229 opened in 1925 and closed in 1942.


Hodgson Crossing
Approximate Location: About 35km south of Colac Colac on the Corryong-Benambra Road. South of Crawford Crossing and about 5km north of Nariel.


Jarvis Creek
Approximate Location: 10km north of Old Tallangatta.
Comments: Gold discovered in the area in 1877.
Schools: SS3311 opened in 1898 and worked part-time with SS3052 Bullioh (Georges Creek) until it closed in 1904. The school re-opened in 1941 and finally closed in 1955.


Koetong
Approximate Location: 30km east of Tallangatta on the Murray Valley Highway.
Comments: Grazing and mining township surveyed in 1885 and proclaimed much later in 1952.
Schools: SS3068 opened in 1890, closed in 1901, re-opened part-time with SS3534 Annandale in 1912, resumed full-time operation in 1915, closed in 1928, re-opened in 1940, worked part-time with SS3646 Burrowye for a short time, closed in 1941, re-opened in 1947, closed in 1949, re-opened in 1972 and finally closed some time before 2003.
Cemetery: For details of the cemetery click here.


Lightning Creek
Approximate Location: 40km south of Mitta Mitta and 20km south of granite Flat  just off the Omeo Highway, 20km SW of present Lake Dartmouth.
Short history: Alluvial gold area worked in the 1860s in the Thunder and Lightning Creeks. A workers camp called Dingo Town was situated on the junction of the Lightning and Snowy creeks. At one stage the most impressive 'Mammoth' water flume 3 feet deep and 5 feet wide was built 113 feet above ground level for a distance of over 500 feet to supply water to Granite Flats. A hotel existed at some time.


Little Snowy Creek
Approximate Location: 5km south of Eskdale and 10km west of Mitta Mitta (as the crow flies).
Comments: Gold discovered 1852.
Schools: SS3027 opened about 1890 and closed some time after 1970. For a short time around 1911/2 it operated part time with SS3510 Sachse.
SS3510 Sachse opened in the early 1900s when gold was discovered at Mt Elmo, worked part-time with SS3027 for a short time around 1911/2, and closed shortly after that. The school was located some 8km from SS3027.


 Lucyvale
Approximate Location: South of Murray Valley highway 40km west of Corryong.
Schools: SS3604 Lucydale (note the slightly different name) opened in 1909 part-time with SS3099 Cravensville, worked part-time with SS2967 Berringama for a period in the 1910s and closed in 1968.


McMahons Creek
Approximate Location: Just north of Dartmouth.
Schools: SS3528 operated part-time with SS3527 Callaghan Creek from 1906 to 1920 with the school changing its name to Banimboola in 1911.


McNamara Crossing
Approximate Location: About 15km south of Colac Colac on the Corryong-Benambra Road.


Mitta Mitta
Approximate Location: About 50km south of Tallangatta.
Comments: 1852 goldfield. Also known as Snowy Creek in its early days.
Gold was discovered in nearby tributaries of the Mitta Mitta River (such as the Snowy Creek and Little Snowy Creek) in the early 1850s.
Schools: SS887 Snowy Creek opened in 1869. In 1880 the school’s name was changed to Mitta Mitta. It is still operational.
Another school SS1044 Snowy’s Creek may also have been operational at some time around 1870.
Both schools also appear to have been called Junction Snowy Creek for part of their lives.
Buildings: The first Mechanics' Institute hall (c1860s) had a previous life as a hotel. The hall burnt down in 1924 and the current building was constructed in 1926.
Cemetery: For details of the cemetery click here.
Books:
See the Books page for details of books about the Mitta Valley.


Mitta North
Approximate Location: 7km north of Mitta Mitta.
Schools: SS3974 opened in 1918 part-time with SS3977 Bullhead Creek, worked full-time from 1919, closed in 1947, re-opened in 1948 and closed before 2003.


Mount Alfred
Approximate Location: On the Murray River about due north of the halfway point between Tallangatta and Corryong.
Comments: Named after Prince Alfred who visited Victoria in 1867.
Schools: SS3647 Mount Alfred opened about 1910 and closed some time after 1970.


Mount Elliot
Approximate Location: Approximately 10km east of Corryong.
Comments: Site of a booming miner's shanty town in the gold rush of the 1890s, of which nothing remains but a few rusted mattock heads and a local football team called Federals (first called "Miners"). North-Western site owned by the Lloyd family. (Mike Flattley). See also Towong.
Schools: SS3283 Mount Elliot opened in the mid 1890s and closed in 1906.


Mount Elmo
Approximate Location: Approximately 12km south of Eskdale and 8km south of little Snowy Creek.
Short history: Gold mining area c1891 to c1919. A hotel existed in the area.
Schools: A school opened 3 km north of Mount Elmo some time in the early 1900s for an unknown period.


Nariel
Approximate Location: 30km south of Corryong on the Corryong-Benambra Road.
Comments: Timber an dairying area. Also known as Nariel Upper.
Schools: SS3622 Nariel opened in 1909 part-time with SS2962 Colac Colac, resumed full-time operation in 1914, closed in 1933, re-opened in 1935 and finally closed in 1955.


Nariel Creek
Approximate Location: About 20km south of Colac Colac on the Corryong-Benambra Road. South of McNamara Crossing and north of Willow Crossing.


Nariel Gap
Approximate Location: About 4km NW of Thowgla Upper.


Nariel Junction
Approximate Location: About 7km south of Colac Colac on the Benambra-Corryong Road. It is also about 4 km WNW of Nariel Gap.


Noorongong
Approximate Location: 15km south of Tallangatta on the Omeo Highway.
Schools: SS3073 opened in 1891, closed in 1928, re-opened in a more central location in 1931 and finally closed in 1971.


Penny Flat
Approximate Location: SE of Gundowring Upper and also Dederang and SW of Eskdale. Also about 10km east of Running Creek and 5km west of little Snowy Creek.


Pine Mountain
Approximate Location: Locality halfway between Tintaldra and Walwa.


Shelley
Approximate Location: Halfway between Tallangatta and Corryong on the Murray Valley Highway.
Comments: Named after a local family.
Schools: SS4538 opened in the 1930s, was part-time with SS3491 Guys Forest in 1936, part-time with SS3646 Burrowye in 1938, resumed full-time operation in 1939 and closed some time after 1970.


Staceys Bridge
Approximate Location: About one kilometre south of Nariel on the Corryong-Benambra Road.
Buildings: A public hall is in existence (details of it are unknown). 


Sunny Point
Approximate Location: Just east of the Benambra - Corryong road approximately 35km north of Benambra, 70km south of Corryong.
Short history: Gold mining area worked intermittently from the 1860s to the 1930s with a peak population in the area of over 100. Surges in population were in 1878 when over 50 claims were being worked and during the 1930s depression. The small village of Sunny Point was on the junction of the Sassafras and Saltpetre Creeks but nearby settlements were called Sassafras Creek, Saltpetre Creek, Cribbage Creek, King's Camp and Darling's Camp. Robert King John King and James Prendegast had businesses in these locations. Mines included the Lady Loch, Saltpetre United and South Federation Co.
Gold was also found on the Puddy Joy, Wheeler and Zulu creeks to the north of this area.
Cemetery : A cemetery existed on Sassafras Creek although few details are known about it.


Talgarno
Approximate Location: On the southern edge of the Murray Arm of Lake Hume about 25km ENE of Wodonga.
Comments: 1857 goldfield.
Schools: SS1954 opened in 1877 and was still operating in 2003.
Buildings:  The Talgarno Hall was opened in 1889 and is still in use today.
Cemetery: For details of the cemetery click here.


Tallandoon
Approximate Location: 25km south of Tallangatta on the Omeo Highway (about halfway Between Tallangatta and Mitta Mitta).
Comments: Also name of local station taken up in 1839.
Gold discovered in this area about 1852.
Schools: SS2318 opened in 1881 initially operating schools at both Eskdale and Tallandoon until Tallandoon received its own number (SS2533) in 1883 and both became full-time. It closed some time after 1970.


Tallandoon North
Approximate Location: On the Omeo Highway 5km NE of Tallandoon.
Schools: SS3682 opened in 1911 and closed some time after 1970.


Tallangatta
Approximate Location: On southern edge of Lake Hume 25km ESE of Wodonga.
Comments: The original Tallangatta was surveyed and proclaimed in 1885. When Lake Hume was enlarged in the1950s, the township was relocated about 7km west  to its current site in an area previously known as Bolga and officially opened 1956. The original township is now called Old Tallangatta. Tallangatta was also the name of local station taken up in 1844
Schools: Rural School 82 opened about 1869 and became SS1365 in 1874. It was still operating in 2003.
A High School began in 1961.
Buildings:  A Mechanics' Institute hall existed in the old town (prior to the flooding) and the replacement Tallangatta Memorial Hall constructed in 1956 provided a library as well as a public hall.
Cemetery: For details of the cemetery click here.
Newspapers: Click here.
Books:
See the Books page for details of books about this town.


Tallangatta East
Approximate Location: About 8km east of Tallangatta and just south of the Murray Valley Highway.


Tallangatta Valley
Approximate Location: 25km SE of Tallangatta.
Schools: A government teacher was employed in Tallangatta Valley from 1876. In 1880 SS2337 Tallangatta Creek schoolhouse was built. The name of the schoolhouse was changed to Tallangatta Valley in the early 1900s. The school was still operating in 2003.
Buildings: A public hall is in existence (details of it are unknown). 


The Cascade
Approximate Location: About 20km east of Tallangatta.
Schools: SS4058 Cascade opened in 1921, worked part-time with SS2777 Wagra for a short time in 1940 and closed in 1944.


Thologolong
Approximate Location: on NE corner of Lake Hume about 50km ENE of Wodonga.
Schools: SS4534 Thologolong opened in 1933 part-time with SS3646 Burrowye until Burrowye closed in 1935. The school was renamed Woondooma in 1936 and closed about 1947.


Thowgla
Approximate Location: 5km SE of Corryong.
Minor gold rush on the nearby Thowgla Creek in 1880.
Schools: SS2661 opened in 1885, worked part-time with SS3848 Towong Upper in 1916, resumed full-time operation in 1918 and closed in 1951.


Thowgla Upper
Approximate Location: 10km south of Thowgla.
Schools: SS3422 opened in 1902 and closed in 1948.


Thowgla Valley
Approximate Location: Locality 5km south of Thowgla.


Tintaldra
Approximate Location: On NSW border 20km north of Corryong.
Comments: Name of a local station taken up in 1837. Soldier settlement area.
Gold discovered in nearby areas such as the Cudgewa Creek, Pine Mountain and Jingellic Creeks in the 1850s and 1860s.
Schools: A private school operated on Tintaldra station before SS3188 opened in1893 and it became part-time with SS3170 Walwa East in 1898 until both schools closed in 1903. The school re-opened in 1911 and finally closed in 1952.
Books:
See the Books page for details of books about this town.


Tom Groggin
Approximate Location: On the Upper reaches of the Murray River in the Alpine National Park and about 50km SSE of Corryong.


Towong
Approximate Location: On NSW border 10km NE of Corryong.
Comments: The township was surveyed and proclaimed in 1875.
Gold mined nearby in late 1880s with main discovery being near Towong Gap near Mt Elliott in 1894.
Schools: SS2380 opened in 1881 and closed in 1952.


Towong Upper
Approximate Location: 7km east of Thowgla.
Schools: A private school existed prior to SS3848 opening in 1914 part-time with SS2962 Colac Colac until 1916 when it worked part-time with SS2661 Thowgla, resumed full-time operation in 1918 and closed in 1951.


Wagra
Approximate Location: 10km SE of Tallangatta. Halfway between Tallangatta and Tallangatta Valley.
Comments: The area was also known as Spring Creek (after a local creek).
Schools: SS2777 opened in 1886, closed in 1890, re-opened in 1923, worked part-time with SS4058 Cascade for some months in 1940 and finally closed in 1942.


Walwa
Approximate Location: Just south of NSW border NNW of Corryong.
Comments: Also name of local station taken up in 1840.
Schools: SS2806 opened in 1887 and was still operating in 2003.
SS3170 Walwa East opened in 1893, became part-time with SS3188 Tintaldra in 1898 until both schools closed in 1903.
Buildings: The Walwa Services Memorial hall is in existence (details of it are unknown).
Cemetery: For details of the cemetery click here.


Wild Horse Hill
Approximate Location: About 5km SW of Tallandoon.


Williamstown
Approximate Location: Old goldfield town just west of the Benambra-Corryong Road about 10km north of Gibbo River Junction (also about 20km north of Uplands). Wheeler Gibbo is a nearby hill.


Willow Crossing
Approximate Location: About 25km south of Colac Colac on the Corryong-Benambra Road. South of Nariel Creek and north of Crawford Crossing.


Wyeebo
Approximate Location: 5km SE of Tallangatta Valley on the Tallangatta Creek Rd.
Schools: SS3377 opened in 1900 and closed in 1925.


Yabba
Approximate Location: 10km SE of Tallangatta.
Comments: Note that Yabba North and Yabba South (in the Shire of Moira) are nowhere near Yabba.
Schools: SS3979 Yabba Road (exact location of school unknown) opened in 1918 and closed in 1938.
Cemetery: For details of the cemetery click here.


Return to Towns/localities page.

Return to home page.


You are our 4001 visitor since 21st March 2000.

Last updated on 06 December 2007