Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

AUS-NSW-WEST Mailing List
Notes on Individual Hotels N-R


 

This page contains notes, in alphabetical order, on a number of Hotels that appear in the
Hotels Publicans Licences N-R

This Page is the work of Rusheen Craig

Nevertire Hotel , Nevertire.

On Saturday night, a traveller, a stranger, died at Murphy's hotel (Nevertire Hotel)...... A communication from the Weslyan Clergyman at Spring Hill, near Orange, identified the deceased as Richard Ainsworth, a photographer by profession and a native of England where he had a wife and family. Cause of death.....fatty degeneration of the heart.
( Cobar and Louth Herald, July 30, 1882,)

 

Old Fort Hotel, Bourke.

John E. Kelly, a native of the Hunter, at the age of eighteen was a ration carrier and storekeeper on a station on the Bogan. About a year later he began work on Vincent J. Dowling's Fort Bourke Station. When Dowling set out to explore the north-west country he was accompanied by Kelly, who claimed to be the first white man to see the Paroo. Kelly took up a number of runs on the river, which he sold later and went to Bourke, where a township had just been marked out. With him in this venture were William Sly and Joseph Becker. Kelly carried out several businesses in Bourke, including the Old Fort Hotel. He sold out in 1868 and purchased a number of stations at a time when prices were low, with the result that in a few years he made a snug fortune. One of these properties was the well-known Myall Mundie Station.
( Western Grazier, November 18, 1896 )

 

Old Tintinallogy Hotel, Tintinallogy, near Menindie.

Henry Geyer - Publican - Old Tintinallogy Hotel 1888-1900,
Henry Frederick Christian Geyer was married to Margaret Rogers. Their daughter, Lily Maud Geyer, married Thomas Adam Bothwick on 12th April 1906 at Menindie. Their first two children were born on Tintinallogy; the next two at Wilcannia; and the remainder in New Zealand.
( Ann Carson on NSW-WEST on 29th November 2003.)

 

One Tree Hotel, One Tree Plains, Hay.

One Tree Hotel is 38 km north of Hay on land that was originally a pastoral holding. It was built in 1862 as Finch's Inn and served as a staging post on the Cobb and Co. run between Hay and Wilcannia until the service ended in 1914. Here the passengers would disembark for lunch and rest while the horse team was changed. William Clark bought the hotel from Alexander Finch [Gaz. - Finch 1865-1866; Johnstone 1867-1869; William Clarke 1870-1882; Eugenia Clarke 1883; Rudd 1884.] and he leased the huge government tank nearby which waterered up to 12,000 sheep at a time. Horse and bullock teams of up to a thousand in number were watered at the change at the charge of per penny a head. The inn was purchased by the McQuade family in the 1880's who still own it. Although the original structure was burnt down in 1901 the insurance claim stated that recompense could only be made if the building was rebuilt exactly as it had been, so the current hotel is a replica. The license lapsed in the 1940s when it became a private residence. It is currently derelict. One Tree was proclaimed a village in 1885 though it never grew and the old building is a lone sentinel on the plains today.
( Fairfax Walkabout - Australian Travel Guide :
http://www.walkabout.com.au/fairfax/locations/NSWHay.shtml

For a photograph and description of the hotel - See :
http://www.ahc.gov.au/cgi-bin/ahdb/search.pl?mode=place_detail;place_id=14363

 

Oriental Hotel, Broken Hill.

Consultation - "Dunlop", care of Mr H.L. Roberts of the Oriental Hotel, publishes consultation upon the Australian Cup; we are given to understand that the affair is a bona fide one, and that the drawing of horses will be entrusted to, or supervised by, a committee of the subscribers.
( Broken Hill Argus, March 1st, 1888.)

Roberts' Oriental Hotel - The above well-known hostelry is now well into working order. The proprietor has purchased the right of Tattersall's, and will be able to supply the most details regarding sporting events happening in all parts of the world. The kiosk has been thoroughly fitted up with rooms for the transaction of mining or broking business. All colonial and local sporting matters of interest will be posted daily. A post-office box, which will be cleared at 1 and 5 pm daily, will also be placed at the service of the public. The dining room in the hotel proper has been enlarged, and a French chef secured.
( Broken Hill Argus, April 30, 1888.)

General Meeting of the Builders' Labourers' Society and Accident Fund held at Roberts' (Oriental) Hotel. Executives of the Broken Hill Jockey Club met at the Oriental Hotel.....
( Barrier Miner, March 7th, 1889.)

 

Oxford Hotel, Bourke.

The Darling in flood. Bourke embankment bursts. The town submerged. Enormous loss of property. Houses collapse. River forty miles wide. The current pours through the embankment at a truly terrific rate. Several houses in direct contiguity to the breakaway were at an early period of the inroad subjected to a very heavy strain, the water rushing in at the windows and doors, and causing the structures to vibrate as though swayed by a hurricane. Alderman Morris's residence was nearest the breach and consequently suffered very heavily, in fact the whole structure will shortly be washed away. The water in its onward course made for the southern end of the town, flooding Cobb and Co's extensive workshops, Robinson's ( Oxford ) Hotel and many other prominent buildings, besides entering every house in the vicinity.
( Town and Country Journal, April 26, 1890.)

William Robinson, who has been at the "Oxford" for about 20 years, leaves Bourke to take up the Great Western Hotel in Orange.
( Town and Country Journal, Feb. 1905 - Provided by W.J. Cameron to Bourke Historical Society.)

 

Oxley Hotel, Oxley.

The Publican's License for the Oxley Hotel was transferred from Daniel Murphy to John Murphy. ( Riverine Grazier, June 3, 1874) Oxley is almost a counterpart of Maude ( See Post Office Hotel, Maude ), minus the pigs and plus a pub. We had a good square meal at one of the hotels.
( Town and Country Journal, May 21, 1881, p.992.)

 

OXLEY HOTEL
GEO. H. ASHCROFT
Begs to inform all his friends and the public generally that he has taken the OXLEY HOTEL,
and hopes by strict attention to business, combined with civility,
to merit a fair share of their patronage
Good accommodation and first-class stabling including Loose Boxes
Only best brands of Liquors and Wines supplied
                                                                                                George H. Ashcroft, Oxley Hotel, Oxley

 

Palace Hotel, Broken Hill.

In the 1880s, Munro, a Presbyterian, and a leader of the Temperance movement, a politician, and a man of means, set up a chain of Coffee Palaces as a new type of hotel - with no alcohol, but having the best of dining rooms. The Palace Hotel was the largest building in Broken Hill when it opened as the unlicensed Coffee Palace. In 1892 it joined the licensed hotels. In more recent times it was used as the setting for the movie, "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert".

Located close to the heart of Broken Hill, Mario's Palace Hotel is a rambling construction that dates back to the town's mining heyday - and another monument to the artistic urge. Inspired by the city's wealth of creative talent, Mario himself painted a copy of Botticelli's Venus de Milo on the hotel's ceiling.
( Gebicki Michael, "Travelling Thirst Class", The Sun-Herald, March 12, 2000, p.95.)
( See also Silver King Hotel, Broken Hill.)

To see a description of the hotel and some of its history :
http://www.ahc.gov.au/cgi-bin/ahdb/search.pl?mode=place_detail;place_id=574

 

Pastoral Hotel, Wagga Wagga.

On Thursday afternoon a cheque for a sum of money was lost by Mr Hunter, the book-seller of Fitz-maurice Street. The cheque was swept into the street, and was picked up by a little girl about three years old, the daughter of Mr Callaghan, of the Pastoral Hotel. The careful little body trotted off with the prize to her father, who, of course returned it to its rightful owner. Mr Hunter gave the child a suitable reward.
( Wagga Wagga Advertiser, Sept. 17, 1868.)

 

Perseverence Hotel, Hay

PERSEVERANCE HOTEL
Lachlan Street, Hay
GEO. SADLER
( Late of the Caledonian Hotel )
Has purchased the Business of the above Hotel and respectfully solicits a call from old Patrons
( The Riverine Grazier, Hay, Jan. 3, 1899, Advertisement.)

 

Pig and Whistle Hotel, Broken Hill.

Joseph McMahon, on bail, was charged with being drunk in the Pig and Whistle Hotel on Feb 28th. He pleaded guilty and was fined 5 shillings or 24 hours imprisonment in the Broken Hill lockup. He was also charged with using obscene language in the same place. He pleaded not guilty. W.A. Urquhart, the arresting constable, and George Farquhar, gave evidence in support of the case. The accused was found guilty and fined 40s., and cost of one witness - 7s., or 14 days in the Broken Hill lockup.
( Broken Hill Argus, March 1st, 1888.)

 

PIG & WHISTLE HOTEL
H. NEWTON
( Late of Young, New South Wales.)
Having taken the above Hotel, begs to inform the public that
he sells nothing but Simms' Beer and the best of Liquors. Call and see him
( Silver Age, Broken Hill, Aug.1,1892, Advertisement.)


For a photograph and description of the hotel - See :
http://www.ahc.gov.au/cgi-bin/ahdb/search.pl?mode=place_detail;place_id=562

 

Pinetree Hotel, Salt Creek (Tareena area), Muray River, near NSW / SA border.

While the working party of Todd and Smalley were erecting the historic border cairn ( NSW / SA ) some may well have been thinking of the hospitality dispensed at the Pinetree Hotel, Salt Creek, only two and a half miles to the south-east. This coaching inn on the road between Wentworth and North West Bend ( to become Morgan in 1878 when the railway arrived from Adelaide), was located near the wide billabong that looped off Salt Creek, a seasonal stream that meanders from near Chowilla Station to flow into the Murray almost due south of the inn, that was later to become the Tareena Hotel. In July 1872 George Rayner, licencee of the Pinetree [Gaz.:1870-1875] secured a lease of 63 acres running northward. As well as conducting the inn he was a well-known coach driver and mail contractor. To provide grazing for the increasing number of horses used in these activities, he found it necessary, five years later, to double the lease.
( Wells Sydney, Paddle Steamers to Cornucopia, 1986, p.22.)

Daniel Byrnes - Publican Pinetree Hotel 1884; Lake Victoria Hotel 1885.
Daniel Byrnes had married Ellen White at Barindarigh, Co Wicklow, Ireland, in 1853. With their two year old son and month old daughter, they came to Adelaide on the Frenchman in 1858. They soon moved on to the Lower Darling River region of New South Wales. "My mother told me that her sister, the late Mrs Dan Byrnes, had the first house built in Wentworth. It was built of bark and situated near the top of the town near the big gum tree,"
(An Autobiography by Mrs Sarah Pannan, nee Haynes ( 91 yrs old), South Western Standard, 16th January,1965.)
[The first sale of town allotments in Wentworth took place on 16th March 1860.]

On 29th Sept, 1860, the Byrnes were at Arumpo, north of present-day Mungo National Park, where they gave a meal to the Burke and Wills party; the expedition's excess baggage was left with them. They followed the party into Menindie, where Daniel (thankfully) declined Burke's invitation to join the group.The Byrnes stayed with the remaining members of the party in Menindie, where Ellen gave birth to Garrett, my gt-grandfather , on 22nd December. It was at Menindie, the following year, that baby Ellen burnt to death. By November 1866, the Byrnes had gone upriver towards Bourke to Compador, 23 kms south of present-day Louth, for the birth of another daughter.

They returned to Wentworth by 1866, where the Rates Book shows Daniel paying 27 for Lot 7 Darling Street; Premises - Slab hut. This block of land was just up the road from the wharf and across the road from the school; an ideal situation for Daniel's carting business which should have thrived with the high charges for cartage when the river was low. In 1878 he bought Allotment 18 of Section 28, Adams Street, which backed onto the other property across a lane. Although the family were at Lake Victoria from 1884 to 1886, he kept this property until 1887.

In 1884 he bought the Pine-tree Hotel at Salt Creek. This was down close to the NSW - SA border; stock travelling interstate had to wait here for inspection. The next year he took up another hotel in the same area - the Lake Victoria Hotel on the western side of the Lake.

Daniel then applied for several Homestead Leases that would complement those held by his son Garrett (remembering the 10,240 acre limit of leasehold per person). In 1887 he was granted Turno to the north of Garrett's Tarangara, but he rejected the offer. From 1890 to 1893 he held the lease to the west and south of Tarangara. He withdrew his 1895 application for Tulrigo in 1896 because it was dry country and they could not put down a tank. This was off a bit to the west from Garrett's land, and they would have been well aware of these conditions when the application was made. His 1899 application, carrier of Erin HL, for Bourke's Plain was one property to the west of son John Thomas' Erin. He held the property for several years , despite having an ongoing battle with authorities concerning non-residency (He was an old man and drought conditions were extreme).

Daniel and Ellen weathered the harsh conditions of the outback well, both pioneers surviving into old age; Daniel died at his son Sylvester's property Wamberra in 1914, aged 92 years; his wife Ellen died in 1923, aged 96 years. Many of their descendants still live around the Darling region of Far-West New South Wales.
( Craig Rusheen, History of the Byrnes Family, Unpublished.)

 

Pink Hills Hotel, Bourke.

There is a report that James Vincent of the "Pink Hill" has perished for lack of water, but it is not believed,
( Town and Country Journal, Dec.12,1875 - Provided by W.J. Cameron to Bourke Historical Society.)

 

Pinnacles Hotel.

About ten miles south-west of Broken Hill ore was discovered in 1885 at a place called The Pinnacles, after a group of remarkable cones that stood above the surrounding hills. By 1891 the population of the little township which had developed numbered 400 to 500. There was a surveyed township outside the mining leases on which a few people were settled. A hotel was erected, and a hall and a Bible Christian Church, several stores and boarding houses also stood on leases. The surveyed township had been named Wallarunga, the native name of the locality.
( Barrier Miner's Directory, 1891.)

 

Pooncaira Hotel, Pooncarie.

The first sale of town blocks at Pooncarie took place in Wentworth in 1863. Simon McDonald, a Scotsman, who came to Australia in 1850 bought two of these. Before coming to Pooncarie, he had been a chief constable of police at Balranald and later a sergeant in the police force at Wentworth. He was granted a licence for a hotel in 1865 and this he built on the corner of Tarcoola and Bourke Streets, naming it the Pooncaira Hotel. On the block of land on the other side of Bourke Street, which he also owned, he built a dance hall.

He and his wife, Elizabeth, had five daughters - Annie (Mrs Charles Wreford, "Moorara"), Ronaldina (Mrs G.C.Todd), Jennie (Mrs Charles Barrett, "Mallara"), Angusina (Mrs B.E.W.Heaton Ellis) and Reginalda who was born in Pooncarie in 1864, possibly the first white child to be born there.

A report in the Federal Standard 1907 describes the building as follows :- "Pooncaira Hotel, N.McLeod. Wood and iron, 15 rooms, occupying about 7 acres. Miss Mary Pile is the owner. One bar, a bathroom, three cess-pit closets (for which pans will be substituted at once). There are no gauze wire doors or windows. Renewal of licence granted at 20, assessed value 80.The licence required that a lamp be burning from sunset to sunrise. After the cancellation of the licence the hotel was used as a private dwelling - in later years, it became known as Angel's Rest."
( Lans Rob, Smith Thelma, & Smith Bill, The History of Pooncarie and District, no date.)

Dance at the Pooncarie Hotel. The dance given by Mr & Mrs Syl Byrnes at the Pooncarie Hotel on the 25th May proved a great success. The ballroom was beautifully decorated green pine, mixed with coloured crinkled paper and flowers, the combination lending a charming effect. The dresses of the ladies were varied and pretty, and the floor in splendid order.

Among Mrs Byrnes other achievements, she succeeded in securing the services of a splendid pianiste who played throughout the evening in an exciting manner and well marked time. At 12 o'clock a splendid feast was spread in the dining room, to which the "merrie dancers" did amply justice. Too much praise cannot be given to Mrs Byrnes and her pretty assistant for the display they made in so beautifully decorating the table, and the manner in which they attended the wants of their many guests.

Dancing was afterwards continued until daylight put an end to the festivities, and thus ended one of the most successful dances ever held in the township.
( Federal Standard and Western Districts Advocate, June 6, 1896.)

Mr Norman McLeod, for many years connected with this district, was in Wentworth this week. He has succeeded in securing the Pooncarra Hotel from Mr Syl Byrnes who has retired to his homestead lease. Mr McLeod has been associated with the various mail services of the Wentworth district for many years past, and is very popular with all classes of the community. Under his management the public will be certain of good treatment and the best fare at the well-known hotel, and we feel sure that he will make his venture a success. For a longtime past, Mr McLeod has taken a warm and active interest in sporting matters at Pooncarra, and ably discharged the onerous duties of Judge to the Jockey Club established in the township for the past 18 years.
( Federal Standard, Wentworth, Feb. 13, 1897.)

Pooncaria - John Jackson was charged with stealing two bottles of whisky, the property of Norman McLeod, Pooncara Hotel, and was sentenced to 7 days hard labour at Pooncaira.
( Federal Standard, Wentworth, Sept. 10, 1898.)

Pooncaira - A meeting was held at Pooncaira to form a Race Club. Auctioneer Rankin disposed of the right of the (Publican's) Booth at the Racecourse, Mr McLeod, of the Pooncaira Hotel, being the highest bidder, 5 being realized.
( Federal Standard, Wentworth, Dec.9, 1899.)
( See also Darling Hotel.)

 

Post Office Hotel, Bourke.

Fitzgerald's Post Office Hotel is an ornate Victorian hotel in the centre of Bourke, built in 1890. Known to the favourite of Breaker Morant, it later accommodated Lady Nancy Bird Walton, the famous aviatrix.
( Pubs of the Past and Present in Bourke, Tour Guide, Bourke Visitors' Centre.)

Visit of the Minister of Lands. A meeting of the pastoralists of the district will take place at the Post Office Hotel on Thursday 18th inst., to make arrangements for an interview with the Minister for Lands during his proposed visit. Mr Malcolm Robertson of Jandra, the active leading spirit in the matter, assures us that his invitation to his fellow pastoralists and homestead lessees to attend the meeting has been very largely responded to. A good meeting and a good result should follow.
( Bourke Banner, May 13, 1899.)

For a description of the building - See :
http://www.ahc.gov.au/cgi-bin/ahdb/search.pl?mode=place_detail;place_id=19053

 

Post Office Hotel, Enngonia

POST OFFICE HOTEL
Enngonia
H.NAWN, Proprietor
Travellers, drovers, and the general public will find every convenience at the above hotel, combined with civility and attention
All informs on as to stock roads always obtainable
Good secure paddock, well grassed and watered
( The Western Herald and Darling River Advocate, Aug. 8, 1888, Advertisement.)

 

Publican Hugh Nawn was a Postmaster earlier.
( Cameron W.J., History of Bourke, Vol.VI, 1977, p.27.)

 

Post Office Hotel, Louth.

On the 22nd instant we had a ball given by Mr and Mrs Pearson of the Post Office Hotel, the like of which has never before been seen in Louth since the old king first planted his wigwam on this part of the Darling.......The Local Hall, which was nicely filledd with about 40 couples, who seemed to greatly enjoy themselves.......After the first twelve dances on the programme had been satisfactorily put through, an adjournment was made to the large dining room at the Post Office Hotel, where a spread worthy of the occasion was in readiness, prepared under the personal supervision of the worthy hostess. Many of the sterner sex seemed much more at home here than in the dance room......
( Western Herald and Darling River Advocate, Aug. 28, 1895.)

 

Post Office Hotel, Maude.

Maude boasts a store, a pub (Post Office Hotel), a post office, a police barracks, a punt over the river, and a talking cockatoo. Considerable wool is shipped here for Echuca from the surrounding stations.
( The Town and Country Journal, May 21, 1881, p.992.)

 

Prince of Wales Hotel, Wagga Wagga.

Accident - An accident of rather a singular character occurred on Wednesday last, of a man named Edward James Powell. He was skylarking, sparring for "taps on the nose" with another man in the bar of William's Prince of Wales Hotel, when his foot slipped and his left leg snapped in two places, just above the ankle and below the knee. Dr Robinson was sent for and set the limb. The unfortunate young man has since been lying at William's, but will be removed today to the hospital.)
( Wagga Wagga Advertiser, Sept. 17, 1868.)

 

HENRY WILLIAMS
PRINCE OF WALES HOTEL
Fitzmaurice Street
Begs to inform his Friends and the Public, that he has taken the above-named Hotel, where visitors may depend upon meeting with every courtesy and attention.
WINES, ALES, and SPIRITUOUS LIQUORS
Connoisseurs have pronounced the
NEW LOCAL PRODUCTION ALE or "Stringy Bark",
of the Wagga Wagga Brewery, to be "Very Good"; and there is sure to be a large consumption of this wholesome and invigorating beverage during the summer. H.W. has laid in a good supply, to be retailed at the bar at
"SIXPENCE PER PINT"
First-class stabling
Billiards
( Wagga Daily Advertiser, Wagga Wagga, Oct.17,1868, Advertisement.)

 

Prospector's ( Revived ) Hotel.

PROSPECTOR'S (REVIVED) HOTEL
PIKE'S REEF
COWARBEE
WILLIAM PIKE
Begs to inform his friends and the numerous visitors to the Reef, that having obtained a License for the above,
it only remains for him to make it in every respect a convenience for the public,
for which end his every effort will be made
HIS BAR AND CELLAR
will always be found to be supplied with WINES, SPIRITS, &c.,
of the acklowledged best brands and quality
The HOUSEHOLD arrangements being under the immediate supervision of Mrs Pike, is,
he trusts, sufficient guarantee that the comfort of his patrons will be studied and secure
THE STABLE
well filled with Hay and good Oats, and in charge of an experienced groom,
cannot fail to give satisfaction to both Horse and Owner
Nobblers 6d                     Noblers 6d
( Wagga Wagga Advertiser, September 1, 1869, Advertisement.)

 

Punt Hotel, West (Actually North) Bourke.

"West Bourke" is actually two and a half miles north-east of Bourke.

Publican P. Graham(e) was a woolscourer 1875-6, Bourke punt lessee 1880. He had a Bourke allotment and Por.1 near the present Bourke Aboriginal Reserve, and also allotments in Enngonia.
( Cameron W.J., History of Bourke, Vol.VI, 1977, p.28.)

 

Punt Hotel, Hay

John Higgins and John Robertson charged with riotous behaviour at the Punt Hotel, Hay, on Saturday night last, pleaded not guilty. Sub-Inspector Creaghe deposed that at about half-past eleven on Saturday night he heard a row in Dobson's public-house; went there and found several people fighting in a room; cautioned Higgins, and stopped the fighting; prisoners commenced again, when witness took them to the lock-up. Prisoners were bound over in 5 each, and one surety each for good behaviour for six months. Mr Clarke, of the One Tree became surety for Higgins, and Mr Dobson for Robertson.
( Hay Standard, Jan. 3, 1872.)

Next to Tattersall's, and nearer the punt, is the Punt Hotel, another spacious hotel (containing twenty rooms) well conducted by Mr Edward Brandon. For many years Mr Brandon was a coach driver and on his retirement from the service of Cobb and Co., the inhabitants of the district (.....) his skill in handling the ribbons under extroadinary difficulties, and his unwavering courtesy, and obliging disposition, by presenting him with a handsome testimomial, in the shape of a valuable gold watch, chain and locket.
( Town and Country Journal, Sept. 14, 1872, A Tour to the South, Article provided by Hay Historical Society.)

 

EDWARD BRANDON
(Late of Cobb and Co., and Proprietor of the Coach and Horses Hotel, Pine Ridge)
Begs to inform his Friends and the Public generally, that he has taken the
PUNT HOTEL, Hay
and trusts by the strict attention to the wants of his Patrons, he may continue to merit a ahare of their support. A Detached Cottage is fitted up expressly for Families travelling
NB - Cobb and Co.'s coaches start from the House
( Riverine Grazier, Feb. 18, 1874.)

Eight Hours Work.
A meeting of workmen to try to secure this boon will be held at the Punt Hotel on Friday night...... Then reported on 29th April - Nearly all the employees of labour are agreeable the 8 hours labour should be the standard day, so it will take effect without delay.
( Riverine Grazier, April 22 & 29, 1874.)

 

Queen's Head Hotel, Wilcannia.

For a very good description and history of the hotel - See :
http://www.ahc.gov.au/cgi-bin/ahdb/search.pl?mode=place_detail;place_id=595

 

Racecourse Hotel, Wentworth.

Every bushman worshipped the horse, and some station-hands had their own hacks and gear, which gave them a comfortable feeling of independence....Races were held on flat open country near the bush pubs and sometimes down the main street of Wentworth with the balcony of the Wentworth Hotel for a grandstand and its flag the winning post. Later meetings were held at the Billabong one mile north of the town where the Racecourse Hotel was built in 1865, a solid brick building, still standing, of six rooms and four underground rooms. Aborigines mingled with the crowd of settlers and rivermen and some of them rode in the races. At the end of 1872 the Wentworth Jockey Club was formed. The president was W. Jamison, A. Pegler of Ned's Corner was the vice-president, and William Crozier and D.H. Cudmore were on the committee.
( Withers Maxine, Bushmen of the Great Anabranch, 1989, p.84.)

 

Railway Hotel, Bourke.

Publican James Lynch was a builder and a carrier. He married Catherine Deignan. Publican Alex. Barry had been a policeman. He married a Warmoll.
( Cameron W.J., History of Bourke, Vol.VI, 1977, p.27 & 28.)

 

Railway Hotel, Broken Hill - Willyama.

New Hotelkeeper - Mr Owen Williams, late of the Gillie's Arms Hotel, Adelaide, and the Birkenhead Hotel, Port Adelaide, has taken possession of the Railway Hotel, Broken Hill. Ravenswood Hotel, Warren. About 1892 [Gaz. 1891] the Ravenswood Hotel was built on the Coonamble Road-Milson Street corner. Later it was known as Barlow's Hotel. It was destroyed by fire in 1902. John Colley was an early licensee [Gaz. - Goodacre 1891, Parker 1892, Colley by 1894] having built this hotel on portion of his Ravenswood farm of forty acres.
( Brennan R.M., Across the Black Plains, A History of the Warren District, 1988, p.76.)

 

Redbank Hotel, Redbank.

The destruction of the Redbank Hotel on the 7th was caused by the bursting of a kerosene lamp. Mr Hatten of "Yanda" and Mr Hood of "Gunderbooka" assisted in the attempt to save the building.
( Town and Country Journal, Feb.16, 1876 - Provided by W.J. Cameron for the Bourke Historical Society.)
[ The Gaz. has John Doyle continuing the License 1872 to 1880.]

 

TO
TRAVELLERS UP AND DOWN THE DARLING
THE REDBANK HOTEL
Half-way between Bourke and Louth
Offers every accommodation for travellers and the general public. Well stocked bar, comfortable rooms, and well appointed table. Good secure paddocks and plenty of forage and water
H. GILLETT, Proprietor
( The Western Herald and Darling River Advocate, Aug. 8, 1888, Advertisement.)

 

Publican, Harry Gillett, had been a butcher in Cobar, and had other hotels.
( Cameron W.J., History of Bourke, Vol.VI, 1977, p.28.)

 

Redhouse, Pink Hills, Bogan River.

Publican, T. Huggins' 1868 Selection reads "40 acres about 2 miles from a tree marked WN (with an arrow pointing up, and another pointing down, between the two letters), about 27 chains etc.
( Cameron W.J., History of Bourke, Vol.VI, p.28.)

 

Red Lion Hotel, Hay

A.G. REID
RED LION HOTEL
HAY
CHEAPEST AND BEST IN HAY
BEST BRANDS of Wines and Spirits
FREE STABLING
Good accommodation at Low Prices to suit the general public.
( The Riverine Grazier, Jan. 3, 1899, Advertisement.)

 

Riverine Hotel, Narranderra

RIVERINE HOTEL
NARANDERRA
WILLIAM HENRY WOOLLETT
Returns his sincere thanks to his Friends and the Public for the support they have so liberally
accorded to him since he opened the above Hotel,
and begs to assure them that no effort on his part shall be wanting in the future
to merit a continuance of their patronage.
TRAVELLERS will find every convenience at the RIVERINE HOTEL,
the BEDROOMS being well, and comfortably furnished,
the WINES, ALES and SPIRITS of A1 brands only; the STABLES carefully kept,
and well provided with the best Hay and Corn;
while Civility characterises the establishment, with CHARGES moderate
W.H. WOOLLETT, Proprietor
( Wagga Wagga Advertiser, September 1, 1869, Advertisement.)

 

Riverine Hotel, Waddai.

Publican's License of Riverine Hotel transferred from Edward Gormly to John White. [Gaz. has Grimley.]
(Riverine Grazier, June 3, 1874.)

 

Rocky Waterholes Hotel.

([Menindie to Wilcannia - part of a journey alongside the Darling reported by the Raven]: Whilst the little town of Menindie was still sunk in slumber, that is at half-past 4 in the morning, the coach for Wilcannia had started....journeying through 100 miles of....saltbush plains, box flats, and sandhills......we arrived at 9pm, cold but happy, having dined half-way on the road at a place called the Rocky Waterholes, where there is a hostelrie kept by one Paddy O'Brien, an Irishman I fancy.
( Town and Country Journal, Oct.8, 1881, p.699.)

Renewal of the Publican's License by Patrick O'Brien was refused in the Special Licensing Court in Wilcannia on 6th June 1882. The hotel did not offer the required accommodation; the hotel was kept in a filthy state; the applicant was of drunken habits.
( Special Licensing Court Records, State Archives.)

 

Roto Hotel, Hillston area

THE ROTO HOTEL
Mount Hope and Cobar Road
22 Miles from Hillston. The Travelling Public will find the above Hotel
REPLETE WITH EVERY COMFORT
and with Premises amongst the Best in the whole District
WINES, SPIRITS, ALES &c., all of Best Brands in stock
Terms of Accommodation very Moderate. Patronage Solicited
GEORGE JOHNSTON, Proprietor
Agent for Amalgamated Shearers' Union and [??? General ] Labourers' Union of Australia.
Duly authorised to enroll members and receive contributions.
( The Spectator, Aug. 20, 1892, Advertisement.)

 

Royal Exchange Hotel, Bourke

ROYAL EXCHANGE HOTEL
Mitchell Street, Bourke
WALTER FRY, Proprietor
This well-known Hotel is replete with every modern convenience,
and has been refurnished throughout.
LIVERY AND BAIT STABLES
A well-appointed Billiard Room
CHOICE CUISINE
( The Western Herald and Darling River Advocate, Aug. 4, 1888, Advertisement.)

 

Royal Hotel, Byrock.

Inquest at Byrock. On Monday last, an inquest was held at the Royal Hotel on the body of Frederick Whiting, a photographer employed by Messrs. G. Newell & Co........Jury found..Whiting had died from the effects of a certain deadly poison known as hydrchloride of mercury, administered by himself.
( Western Herald and Darling River Advocate, May 8, 1893.)

 

Royal Hotel, Balranald.

The Queen's Birthday was kept well in this town. In the morning a cricket match between the town and strangers. In the evening a very good "finale" to a good day's amusement, a ball at host Young's Royal Hotel till the small hours.
( Riverine Grazier, June 3, 1874.)

 

Royal Hotel, Bourke.

The Port of Bourke, formerly the Royal Hotel, was built around 1930. but the first "Royal" on this site was built in the 1870s. In 1877 a shoot out in the bar left two constables mortally wounded by the barman.
( Pubs of the Past and Present in Bourke, Tour Guide, Bourke Visitors' Centre.)

On 4th October, Sidney Walker was brought in a buggy from Ford's Bridge, forty five miles, with the palm of his left hand and three fingers shattered to pieces by the explosion of the left barrel of a double-barrelled gun. Dr V. Brown was called to attend the sufferer at Harris' Royal Hotel. He amputated the affected hand a little above the wrist joint. Walker is progressing well.
( Town and Country Journal, Oct. 21, 1876.)

Within the last few years the journey from Sydney to Bourke has been known to occupy from two to three weeks; but now it can be reached about 36 hours by coach and rail, and a few months hence, when the line is completed, the entire journey will occupy less than 24 hours.

Among the leading business establishments of the town may be mentioned the Royal Hotel, owned by Mr. T. Huggins, which has been built about four years, and occupies a fine site opposite the wharf reserve, and near the Commercial Bank. The building is being extended, and when completed, will contain 56 bedrooms. There are also two large dining rooms and sitting rooms, together with private suites of apartments upstairs. There are likewise three baths in connection with the establishment, and the stabling is amongst the most complete in the district. In mentioning the main dining-room, it may be stated that a punkah has been erected, which, during the hot season, renders the interior nice and cool. A large staff of servants and waiters are kept, and the visitor is paid every attention that he could possibly desire.
( Town and Country Journal, Feb. 28, 1885, p.444.)

 

ROYAL HOTEL
Mitchell Street
Bourke
R. GREEN
Begs to inform his old friends and the people generally that he has taken the proprietorship of the above Hotel,
which he intends to conduct on improved lines, and in a way to give satisfaction to town and country guests.
As a comfortable Hotel it cannot be surpassed; its close proximity
to the banks and telegraph office render it one of the best situated hotels in Bourke.
The menu at breakfast, lunch and dinner cannot be surpassed
PRIVATE APARTMENTS FOR FAMILIES
The Commercial room is well supplied with all the leading papers of the colony,
and every convenience that can be desired. The interior of the Hotel has been thoroughly renovated throughout
Livery and Bait Stables and secure Paddocks under the charge of an experienced groom
Paddocks within a short distance of the town
A first-class billiard table on the premises
( The Western Herald and Darling River Advocate, Aug. 4, 1888, Advertisement.)

Billiard tournaments now appear to be the "rage". During the past few evenings one appears to have been played off at Mr Martlew's room, Mitchell Street. In a few days we understand Mr Rose, of the Royal Hotel saloon, contemplates inurgurating one, the principal prize in which will be a Tea and Coffee Service.
( The Western Herald and Darling River Advocate, Aug. 11, 1888.)

As far as we know at present the arrangements for the visit of His Excellency Lord Carrington are as follows :- Lord Carrington and party are expected to arrive next Thursday. On Friday he will be driven through the principal thoroughfares, and then to the Municipal Chambers - it is anticipated that the new building will be completed in time for the occasion - and there presented with an address. At 3pm he will hold an undress levee at the Court House, and in the evening he will be banquetted , the catering having been entrusted to Mr Green of the Royal Hotel. On Saturday he leaves for Wilcannia, and it is stated, whether rightly so or not, that he intends to make the journey on horseback. A ball would have been arranged to honor the visit, but His Excellency's stay is too brief to permit of the idea being carried out.
( Ibid. Aug. 25, 1888.)

[Flood at Bourke]
On April 30, 1890, Mrs S. Davis, of the Royal Hotel, Mr W. Davis, M.L.A., and Mr W.A. McNair were upset in a boat in Richard-street. This shipwreck which fortunately only cost the sufferers a ducking occurred about the same time that Mitchell-street, which for a period had been a passage through a little archipelago of houses in a yellow sea thirty miles broad, was declared unnavigable.
( Town and Country Journal, May 1890 )

Bourke, Saturday - I have just swum to the telegraph office to dispatch this message.... 11.30 am - Town entirely covered. River rising steadily. ....Our best known hostelry, the Royal, is no whit better off ( than the Tattersall's Hotel ), the water having filled the cellars and flooded the lower apartments to a depth of 18 inches....... At first, when the water threatened, the people in the surrounding districts fled to the town and took refuge in the hotels, but now they are leaving the hotels as fast as they can get away. They are literally in a state of terror and will not place confidence in anything but dry land.
( Town and Country Journal, April 26, 1890.)

 

Royal Hotel, Broken Hill.

Obituary - Death of Mrs Finn on Sunday at her residence, St Kilda, Victoria. The deceased, who was the mother of Mr Finn of the Royal Hotel, in this city (Broken Hill), was a very old colonist, having been a resident in Victoria for 34 years. She died at the advanced age of 82 years and was buried in Melbourne yesterday. During the afternoon the Royal was closed out of respect for her memory.
( Broken Hill Argus, March 14th, 1888.)

There will be a meeting at Finn's (Royal) Hotel on Monday next to consider how best to receive the Rt. Rev. Dr. Dunne, the Roman Catholic Bishop who is expected to visit soon.
( Ibid. June 15th, 1888.)

Yesterday afternoon smoke was seen ascending from some buildings in the rear of Barnet Harris' Royal Exchange Hotel. An Adjoining building, used by Mr Eddy as a carpenter's shop, was in flames.....and doomed....so pulled down. In a short time the fire was out. The damage was estimated at 150. The fire is thought to have started in the shavings.
( Barrier Miner, March 7th, 1889.)
( See also - Silver King Hotel, Broken Hill.)

For a brief description of the hotel - See :
http://www.ahc.gov.au/cgi-bin/ahdb/search.pl?mode=place_detail;place_id=19427

 

Royal Hotel, Byrock see Byrock Hotel, Byrock.

 

Royal Hotel, Culgoa River.

The Publican, G. Colless, in July 1873 was charged with helping a prisoner to escape from custody and was said to harbour bad characters. Evidently his license was not renewed.
( Cameron W.J., History of Bourke, Vol.VI, 1977, p.28.)

 

Royal Hotel, Hay

THOMAS KING'S
ROYAL HOTEL
HAY
Thomas King begs to inform his numerous Friends and the Public generally, that he has now become
the Proprietor of the above Hotel, which has been fitted up with every requisite
for the comfort and convenience of Gentlemen and Families visiting Hay,
and trusts, by keeping nothing but the best Wines and Spirits,
and by strict attention to business to merit a share of Public Patronage.
The STABLING will be conducted under his own personal superintendence,
so that every attention will be paid to this department of business
THOMAS KING, Proprietor.
( Riverine Grazier, June 17, 1874, Advertisement.)

 

ROYAL HOTEL, HAY
THOMAS KING, Proprietor
T.K. begs to take this opportunity to note to Squatters, Drovers, &c.,
that he keeps a mob of pet sheep thoroughly trained to crossing the bridge.
( Wagga Wagga Advertiser, July 10th, 1875.)

 

Royal Hotel, Louth

ROYAL HOTEL
LOUTH
P. MATHEWS, Proprietor
At the above well-known establishment, visitors to Louth may rely upon getting
Comfortable Accommodation, Liberal Table, First-class Liquors, Good Stabling, Civility and Attention
AT
MODERATE TERMS
( The Western Herald and Darling River Advocate, Aug. 8, 1888, Advertisement.)

 

It is very hilly country just about here, and this elevated spot stands alone, all the other land as far as the eye can reach being plains and not even undulating. Upon this spot is built the township of Louth. It has three hotels. The principal one is the Royal, kept by Robert Williams. It is exceedingly well arranged. There is only one store. The only brick building is the post and telegraph office. The other large building is the police station.
( The Sydney Mail, April 21, 1894 )

Destructive Fire at Louth.
About 8.30 o'clock last night, Jamieson's Store was seen to be in flames which spread so rapidly there was no time to save anything out of the store. Most of the furniture etc., was saved from out of the Royal Hotel, which was also burnt to the ground.....It is supposed that the fire started in the store kitchen where a fire was left burning. Cobb and Co.'s Office, Wallace's saddlers shop and billiard room, and all that block of buildings, were nothing but heaps of ashes at 11 o'clock, the buildings being all wooden, nothing could have saved them. Morrison's Telegraph Hotel had a narrow escape.
( Western Herald, Bourke, Jan. 26, 1889.)

 

Royal Hotel, Hay

ROYAL HOTEL
HAY
P. HALBISH
Late Mail Contractor
Wishes to inform his friends and the public that he has taken the above New Hotel, and trusts by supplying a good article to receive their support
GOOD STABLING
( Hay Standard, Nov. 1, 1871, Advertisement).

 

Royal Hotel, Milparinka see Royal Standard Hotel, Milparinka.

 

Royal Hotel, Narrandera

ROYAL HOTEL
NARANDERA
H.J. PHILLIPS, having become Lessee of the above Commodious and Central House, wishes to assure his old friends and the public in general that the endeavour on his part shall be wanting to retain, and if possible, to exceed, the comforts and convenience so long known to be found there
His many years experience in the business will enable him to conduct the Royal in such a manner
as must give the fullest satisfaction to his Patrons
The Cellar
is furnished with the very best procurable in the Sydney or Melbourne markets
The Household Arrangements
being under the immediate supervision of Mrs Phillips, cannot possibly fail to please the most fastidious taste; and
The Stable
will be, as usual, provided with the best forage to be obtained,
which will be liberally supplied by a Civil and Experienced Groom
( Wagga Wagga Advertiser, September 1, 1869, Advertisement.)

 

Royal Hotel, Nymagee.

There are five hotels in the town of Nymagee, the principal being the Royal - Mrs Simpson's, where the coaches stop, and the Metropolitan - Mr Whitlock's; and although Nymagee does not lie on a road to anywhere in particular, there is a large traffic through the town, principally to the mine; so that a very fair trade is done. One of the amusements of the young bloods is to do the round, that is, to visit each of the pubs and return home without getting drunk; and, strange as it may seem, this has been successfully accomplished on more than one occasion; while, as a set off, several who have attempted it have failed miserably, and had to be almost carried home. There is, however, much less of hard drinking in Nymagee than in many other country towns, and the police are not very often called to interfere.

 

Royal Hotel, Wagga Wagga.

Under the distinguished patronage of the Right Hon. the Earl and Countess of Belmore.
ROYAL HOTEL
New Town
Wagga Wagga
JOHN CLARK,
( Late of Narandera )
Desires to inform his numerous Friends and the Public generally, that he has purchased, and is now in possession of the well-known
ROYAL HOTEL
Lately occupied by Mr. Whitehand; and trust that the public support which has been so liberally extended to him in other houses will be continued to him in the ROYAL
THE ROYAL
has every requisite for a FIRST-CLASS FAMILY HOTEL
Extensive BATHROOMS are attached to the Premises
Extensive STABLING and LOOSE BOXES in charge of a careful and experienced Groom.
The Horses of all Visitors will be allowed, free of charge,
the run of the Splendid Grass Paddocks attached to the Hotel
COLONIAL ALE, THREEPENCE per Glass.
( Wagga Daily Advertiser, Wagga Wagga, Oct.17, 1868, Advertisement.)

 

WAGGA WAGGA ALE
is now on sale at the
ROYAL HOTEL
A Splendid Light Sparkling Ale from the
NEWTOWN BREWERY
SIXPENCE PER GLASS
If you Come and try it you will never drink the heady English Ale again
( Wagga Wagga Advertiser, Oct.17, 1868, Advertisement.)

 

Royal Hotel, Wanaaring.

Wanaaring is on the road to Milparinka, 140 miles away, a distance that has to be traversed with only two intermediate watering places. It is situated on the western bank of the Paroo, in which the water is conserved by an earthen dam. The [indec] is evidently permeated by the spirit of energy; also in a modified degree by the spirit of whisky. During the past two or three years several buildings have sprung up, built variously of timber, galvanized iron, or sun dried bricks. Quite recently some further additions have been made through the instrumentality of Mr A.P. Robbins, foreman for Mr D.L. Corrie of Bourke. The principal of these mean office and cottage, weatherboard; the former being for the use of the Post and Telegraph officials; for whose requirements it is well adapted. Its fittings have also been attended to by the builders, and give evidence of neat and substantial workmanship. A considerable amount of work has also been entrusted to the same contractor by the proprietor of the Royal Hotel, Mr W.H.Goode, who has had the whole of his very comfortable establishment thoroughly renovated, in which process several alterations and improvements have been made. There is no doubt that the outlay will well repay the spirited proprietor, as it should do. In addition to these signs of activity there are not wanting other indications that Wanaaring is forging ahead and that year by year it will extend alike its boundaries , its business and its importance. En passant, it may be stated that the road to Wanaaring, has been cleared, measured, and mile posts erected. Though the clearing was only completed some three years ago, the scrub which grows thickly on either side in many places, in spite of the traffic, is beginning to encroach, and it is by no means improbable that the process of clearing it will have to be repeated, if it is desired to enjoy the full benefit of the first operation.
( Western Herald and Darling River Advocate, Aug. 25, 1888.)

The banquet in honour of His Excellency's (the Governor's) visit was held last night at the Royal Hotel, where about [ ? 80 ] gentlemen sat down to a most complete repast, laid on the capacious balcony of the hotel named; and which was neatly decorated with flags and evergreens, and Chinese lanterns. The Chair was occupied by His Worship, the Mayor; Lord Carrington being on his right-side, and Mr A. Wilson on his left hand. The Vice-Chairs were occupied by Mr King and Mr Rankin respectively.
( Ibid.,September 1, 1888.)

 

Royal Hotel, Wentworth.

Another good [Wentworth] hotel is the Royal, carried on Mr Felgate. It is a large brick building, having a most artistic exterior. The rooms here are also very spacious, and well-constructed, including capital billiard-saloon, and concert-room. The stables are also very good.
( Town and Country Journal, September 28, 1872.)

( See also the Crown Hotel, Wentworth.)

 

ROYAL HOTEL
Wentworth
W.B. WALL
( Late of Glenelg, Moonta, and Morgan )
Begs to notify to his old friends and the public generally that he has succeeded
Mr. McMahon in the above first-class Hotel, and hopes to give customers
the same satisfaction as received from his predecessor
N.B. - I don't puff about the quality of the Spirits or Accommodation, but would solicit a trial
( The Federal Standard, Wentworth, July 23, 1892, Advertisement.)

The Royal Hotel was then owned by Mr Charlie McMahon. He also drove the Darling Mail. I can recall seeing Mr McMahon drive down to the punt at the back of the hotel, across the river and up the Darling with the mail. Mr McMahon was a lover of racehorses and always had 6 or 8 horses in training there.
( An Autobiography by 91 year old Sarah Pannan, South Western Standard, Vol 7, No 318)
( Also in personal records of the Byrnes family - Rusheen Craig.)

 

ROYAL HOTEL
DARLING STREET
WENTWORTH
W. ATKINSON, Proprietor
Special arrangements for Boarders
Free Stabling               Good Loose Boxes
Horse Feed at Current Rates
MOST COMFORTABLE HOTEL IN THE DISTRICT
( The Federal Standard, March 11, 1899, Advertisement.)

 

Fire at the Royal Hotel, Wentworth.
At about a quarter to five of the morning of Wednesday, 5th instant, the inhabitants of Wentworth were rudely awakened from their slumbers by the sonorous clanging of the fire-bell, calling to immediate action. The alarm was rung by Mr. W. Atkinson, the licensee of the Royal Hotel.....The building was seen to be enveloped in black smoke issuing from the chimneys of the various rooms and also from under the lappings of the iron roof, and from under the eaves......It was first thought that the fire had originated in the cellar.....The fire was eventually found to be located in a staircase which connects the bar, bar parlor, and the main hall with a lobby which opens on the one side into the cellar proper, and on the otherside to an underground room, which is separated from the cellar by two brick walls between which the sraircase runs.

The fire brigade did splendid work in connection with the fire...... with the assistance from local townsmen....Hampered because their commanding officer, Mr Woods, was away on business.

On Thursday morning the fire bell again sounded the alarm....fresh outbreak at the Royal. On top of the dining room ceiling which is of fluted galvanized iron, is a layer of three to four inches of sawdust, with a wood covering again over that. This was placed there by the former licensee, Mr W.B. Wall, to reduce the temperature in summer time. This sawdust had been ignited by the flames in the dining room through a round ventilation aperture..... smouldered throughout Wednesday and the night. Before the flames had time to spread they were extinguished.

The furniture and glassware are insured for 300, stock 100, cordial machine 50, material in lower store 15. The building is also insured for 1,200. It is the condition of the lease that he (Atkinson) pays the premiums and the owners hold the policy. He estimates the damage to stock 28, furniture 65, building 200.
( Federal Standard, Wentworth, April 8, 1899.)

 

Royal Mail Hotel, Broken Hill.

Royal Mail Hotel was built in 1888, delicensed in 1924, and demolished in 1957 for construction of the RSL ballroom. Photo showing W.J. Biggs, who seems to have made his own beer, invites patrons to water their horses at the Royal Mail in Crystal Street between Chloride and Oxide Streets.
( Solomon R.J., The Richest Lode, Broken Hill 1883-1988, 1988, p.124.)

 

Royal Mail Hotel, Hillston.

WANTED - Housemaid and waitress. Apply - A.E. Finch. Royal Mail Hotel, Hillston.
( The Spectator, Aug. 20, 1892.)

 

FOR SALE or TO LET
TATTERSALL'S HOTEL, Hillston
Apply to J.G. Carroll, Proprietor
( The Spectator, Aug. 20, 1892,)

 

Royal Mail Hotel, Hungerford.

Just over the Queensland border or the dingo fence, this pub was built before 1870. Once a Cobb and Co change station it has offered accommodation, refreshment and friendly service for over 130 years.
( Pubs of the Past and Present in Bourke, Tour Guide, Bourke Visitors' Centre.)

 

Royal Mail Hotel, Barringun.

Destructive Fire at Barringun.
Damage 6,000. Early on August 1st, the Royal Mail Hotel and Messrs. R. Hymann and Co.'s Commercial Stores with outbuildings were completely destroyed. The fire originated in one of the hotel bedrooms......Total cost estimated to be between five and six thousand pounds. The Royal Mail Hotel was the property of the Commercial Bank as mortagees for the Trustees of the late Mr P. Green's estate, and was insured for 1,000. Mr T. Dierke was the licensee. Messrs. Hymann and Co. did a large business, and notwithstanding any insurance that may be affected, they would have been considerable losers.
( Western Herald and Darling River Advocate, Aug. 3, 1895.)

 

Royal Mail Hotel, Booroorban.

Wanganella.....12 miles to Black Swamp...accommodation house where the mail coach changes horses......8 miles further across dreary plains, and I reach the Pine Ridge, a Government township, under the name of Booroorban. There is a fine brick hotel here , called the Royal Mail, containing nine rooms, and having a brick kitchen, &c. It has only been completed a short time, at a cost of 1200, by Mr Samuel Porter, the proprietor of the hotel.What surprised me most was to see near the hotel some cultivated paddocks - a rare thing about here - 60 acres in extent. At the rear of the hotel were large stacks of hay, which were grown in these paddocks. A post-office is sadly required at the Pine Ridge. The distance from Hay is 30 miles.
( Town and Country Journal, Sept. 21, 1872, A Tour to the South, Article supplied by Hay Historical Society.)

 

Royal Mail Hotel, Wilcannia see Shamrock Hotel, Wilcannia.

 

Royal Standard Hotel, Milparinka.

The first cause of settlement at Milparinka was the discovery, when it was much needed, of the waterhole which is part of the creek from which the township gets its name. To this spot when water was short at Mount Browne, the miners made a rush. ...Up to the present time there are three general stores...two public houses, both the proprietors of which are erecting stone premises...and police barracks etc...The post office is at Depot Glen, eight miles away.
( Town and Country Journal, October 29, 1881 )

Milparinka stands on a sandstone hill about fifty or sixty feet above the creek level. When the township was founded, it was nothing but a collection of bough huts, tents and galvanized iron. Soon, however, stone buildings replaced the temporary structures. In 1882 the best buildings in the township were Connor's Royal Standard Hotel, McIndoe's Royal Hotel and Penrose's Albert Hotel.
( Royal Australian Historical Society, The West Darling Country, James Jervis, September 30, 1947.)

 

Publicans Licences N-R
Return to the NSW West Hotels page
Return to the NSW West home page


You are our [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor since 30 November 2003.

Last updated on 14 December 2003