|2. Charles Elmer1 Loucks|
|7. Daisy Naomi2 Towles|
|14. Marvin Harrison3 Towles|
"The subject of this sketch, Marvin H Towles was born in St. Mary's township, Hancock County, ILL. Feb 15, 1840. His father, Moses Towles, and mother, Nancy Towles, were each born in Oldham County, KY and came to Illinois in an early day. The father, Moses Towles, accumulated much of this world's goods and was a good and kind hearted man, loved and respected by all his neighbors and I have often heard the late Dr. Wm. Booz, his family physician, say "Moses Towles is one of God's noblemen."
"The son, Marvin H Towles, inherited many of the good traits of his father and mother, thus early in life he "remembered his Creator in the days of his youth" and was converted of sin and found pardon and believing in the Lord Jesus Christ, he united with the M.E. Church at Bentley, Ill Jan 24, 1876, and had served as stewart for a number of years and was superintendent of the Sunday School class for four or five years and did much to build up the church at that place. About the year 1868 Mr Towles moved from St Mary's township to Harmony township and resided there until about four years ago when he moved to Carthage.
"Mr Towles was united in marriage in Harmony township Dec 20, 1860 to Elizabeth Ann Kurry and to this union were born ten children: John Thomas Towles, Carthage, Ill; Mrs. Amanda Ellen Rorhbough, Elcader, Neb; Silva Ann Towles, now deceased; Alice Belle Whaples, Keokuk, IA; William Towles, deceased; Wilda May McCord, Mayview; Arthur G Towles, Kansas City, MO; Walter Clarence Towles, deceased; Daisy Naomi Towles, now Mrs Roydon Tull of Carthage; and Homer Garfield Towles, Bowen, ILL. The wife died April 25, 1885 at her home in Harmony township. Elizabeth Ann Towles was loved by all and a kind and loving mother while in the middle of life and before her work was finished, she was called to rest, leaving the children as above stated.
"Mr Towles was again united in marriage Dec 29, 1887 to Miss Ella Sherman, of Carthage, who survives.
"No greater tribute could be paid to man than to say the writer of these lives has know Mr Towles for forty years as has been intimately associated with him, never have we heard one unkind word said of anyone by Mr Towles, always thinking of the happiness of others, he has spent his entire life doing good to his fellow man. Mr Towles for the last seven or eight years has been an iinvalid yet he never complained of his lot, but like a true christian that he was, bore his troubles with patience.
"The funeral will occur this Wednesday afternoon at the M.E. Church at 2 pm, Rev T.E Newland officiating. Burial at Moss Ridge."
|32. William5 Loucks|
Thonges Laux That is William's house at Upper Canada Village. He served in Butler's Rangers during the Revolution and drew lot 22 first Concession in 1802. The house was built in 1802 and removed to Upper Canada Village.
|43. Hannah5 Crittenden|
|44. George William5 Cadman|
Revolutionary War Pension Applications, National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 22, p.75: Cadman, George and Desire (Beebe). (W 17,592; N.Y. service and Agcy; Cert. 20,388 issued Sept. 4, 1833, Act June 7, 1832, at $43.33 per an. from Mch. 4, 1831. B.L. WT. 28,661–160–55).
George Cadman applies for pension Sept. 20, 1832, from Mayfield, Montgomery Co., N.Y.; b. Oct. 7 1760 Dartmouth RI. During the Rev. War he was living with his father in Spencertown, N.Y. now Austerlitz, Columbia Co., N.Y. After the Rev. he moved to Canaan, N.Y.; remained several years thence to Royal Grant for 3 yrs., then to Milton, Saratoga Co., N.Y. for 6 yrs., thence to Providence, N.Y. for 7 yrs; later he moved to Mayfield where he has lived for 7 yrs.
He entered the service Dec. 1, 1777 and served as a private for 5 mos. in Capt. McCounagie's Co., Lieut. Barns, Col. Alden's N.Y. Regt.; discharged May 1, 1778. He enlisted Aug. 1, 1778 and served 2 mos. under Capt. Graves, Col. Alden. May, 1779, he enlisted and served 2 mos. under Capt. Mallory, Lieut. Reynolds, Col. Alden. He enlisted Sept. 1779 and served 3 mos. in Capt. Barratter's Co., Col. John McKinstry.
Israel Lee, age 75, Sept. 20, 1832 declares that he has lived in Hillsdale, N.Y. and now in Austerlitz, N.Y. since 1778. He was drafted in 1779 and served 3 mos. in the Militia under Capt. Barrett, Col. John McKinstry, etc.
John Beebe, age 92, Sept. 20, 1832, declares that in Sept. 1778, a resident of Hillsdale, he entered the army as a volunteer for 1 mo. under Capt. Cady, Col. McKinstry, etc.
George Cadman died Jan. 10, 1839.
Desire Cadman applies for pension Jan. 21, 1840, from Mayfield, N.Y.; b. Nov. 19, 1765, and declares that she is the widow of George Cadman, U.S. pensioner, etc. She was m to him Jan. 3, 1785 or 1788, by Elder Martin at Hillsdale, N.Y. (formerly Spencertown and later Mayfield, N.Y.); her name before m was Desire Beebe.
born Oct. 7th 1760
|Desire Cadman his wife|
was born Nov. 19, 1765
|Edward, b. Nov. 18, 1788||Semanthy, b. Apr. 13, 1798|
|Rebekah, b. Dec. 20, 1789||Levina, b. Oct. 9, 1799|
|Roxy, b. June 13, 1791||Avis, b. Apr. 8, 1801|
|Synthy, b. Feb. 10, 1792||Russel, b. Oct. 8, 1803|
|George, b. Oct. 13, 1794||Betsey, b. Sept. 8, 1804|
|Polly, b. June 23, 1796||Hannah, b. Jan. 30, 1807|
|Luther Cadman, b. January 18, 1809|
Jan. 21, 1840, Russell Cadman, of Northampton, N.Y. testifies in the case.
Jan. 21, 1840, Luther Cadman declares that he resided in Mayfield, Fulton Co. N.Y. and is a son of George Cadman who died Jan. 10, 1839.
Aug. 16, 1839, John Beebe, of Austerlitz, N.Y. declares that Desire (Beebe) Cadman is his sister and that he was present at her m to George Cadman, etc.
|45. Dezire5 Beebe|
|46. Ezra5 Austin|
|50. Henry5 VanTassel|
Descendants of Cornelius Jensen Van Texel: Henry lived in New York State until after the birth of their children. He then moved 8 miles from Dallas City, Hancock, Illinois where he owned a farm.
|58. William5 Asher|
Jefferson County Kentucky Record Vol I, by Michael L. Cook and Bettie A. Cummings Cook "Ordered that William Asher, orphan of William Asher, dec'd be bound to Benjamin Hughes agreeable to law."
|64. Richard Dietrich6 Loucks|
This is the same Dederich Loucks that is recorded in Genealogy of the Loucks Family by Edwin Merton McBrier, New York: John S. Swift Co., Inc, 1940 and available from University Microfilm Service, University of Michigan.
Place of residence W1/2 Lot 31 Con 2, Twsp #3 Osnabruck Township, Stormont County - 100 acres. Owned a store and tavern. Was a private in 2nd Reg, Tyron Co. Militia.
From Arthur Moseley Loucks compilation (per Ken Loucks): He was twice fined 20-0-0 for refusing to join the rebels. He was imprisoned in a donjon and nearly starved. His wife strongly protested the savage treatment he received and they threatened to tar and feather her. She escaped to the military barracks for protection.
Richard owned a store and inn at Stone Arabia. All his property was seized and confiscated. He came to Canada with his family in 1783. He drew land in Township No. 3, Osnabruck (Stormont County) 1/2 of Lot 31, 2nd Concession - Lot 33, 3rd Concession (McNiff's Map 1786).
Thonges Laux: From Michael Loucks: Also known as Richard ... Richard for some reason did not join the King's standard but remained in Stone Arabia where he kept a store and tavern. Patriots of the village tried to persuade him to enlist in the Continental Armies but when he refused, they assumed 'if you're not with us, you're against us' and had him fined twice the sum of twenty pounds and incarcerated in a dungeon. His wife protested sharply at such treatment. The patriots became exasperated and she was forced to take refuge behind British lines.
Richard's property, along with that of his brother's, was seized and confiscated by the State of New York and he and his brothers banished ... Richard, Peter and Joseph settled in Canada after the war, together with six other Loucks from other branches of the family. In 1784 Richard brought his wife and six children to Osnabruck Township in the County of Stormont, where they settled on Lot 31, 2nd Concession. McNiff's Map 1786 shows the lot (Loucks Genealogy of Arthur Moseley Loucks).
Richard took up his vocation of inn-keeping. Various accounts by travellers were flattering but uncomplimentary about his tavern. The earliest records we have of the Courts of the Quarter Sessions for the District of Lunenberg show that they were held at Loucks' Inn in the late 1780's (Source: St. Lawrence Development Commission).
In Committee Tyron County June 19th 1776:
The following persons refusing to sign the Association ordered by this Committee viz.--- Donald Cameron, Barnabas Cain, Jacob Merckell, Henry Merckell Jr., Dederick Loucks, Godfrey Syphert, Hendrick Dillenbach, Christian Dillenbach Jr., and John Dochsteder. They are judged inimical to the Liberties of America and dangerous to remain in the Country and are ordered together with John Jarris and John Meyers to be sent down to Albany to be disposed of as General Schuyler shall direct. Ordered that Capt. W. Keen send an officer with a party of Men to guard the above named persons to Albany.
By Order of the Committee John Frey Chairman
In Committee met at Stonearaby May 11th, 1777
Jacob Snell Chairman
John Eisenlord Esq. Secry.
|84. John6 Mears|
He was present at the seige of Fort Oswego, in the French and Indian War, and in 1756 was captured by the French and Indians under Montcalm. Along with other prisoners, he was put on a French vessel which sailed for France. It was captured by an English vessel and the "American" prisoners were taken to England. John, probably, in common with all the prisoners, was given a "Begging paper" authorising him to solicit charitable assistance in obtaining means with which to return home. One lady gave him an English pound "because he was so handsome". When he had gotten together money enough in this way, he came back to his place of residence to find a tombstone erected to his memory, and himself regarded as one arisen from the dead.
He saw service again in the Revolutionary War. He was engaged as a sergeant in Capt. Joseph Boynton's company, Col. Nathaniel Wade's regiment. He was on muster rolls at North Kingston and East Greenwich, and mustered out in Rhode Island, 1 Jan 1779.
As can be seen from the births of their children, John and Lucy moved often, from East Windsor CT by 1765 to Sharon CT, by 1769 to Goshen CT, by 1774 to Litchfield CT, and by 1776 to Egremont, Berkshire Co. MA. After the Rev War, they moved once more, to Poultney VT, where they were among the early settlers.
MA Soldiers and Sailors in Revolution Vol. 10 p.588: Mears, John.Sergeant, Capt. Joseph Boynton's co., Col. Nathaniel Wade's regt.; engaged June 26, 1778; service to Jan. 1, 1779, 6 mos. 11 days, at Rhode Island, including travel (100 miles) home; also, same co. and regt.; muster roll dated North Kingston, Nov. 6, 1778; also, same co. and regt.; muster rolls dated East Greenwich, Sept. 17, Sept. 28, Nov. 12, and Dec. 29, 1778; term to expire Jan. 1, 1779.
|85. Lucy6 Rockwell|
|86. Timothy6 Crittenden|
He was a member of the Congregational Church of Poultney, but after a time fell away from the faith from reading Universalist books and refuting the doctrine. He was excommunicated from the church. His wife (Lucy) remained firm in the religious faith in spite of his errors.
He saw service in the Revolutionary War. He was on the expedition to Montreal which got no further than St. Johns. It was during the winter and he, being quartermaster, was sent ahead on skates to look up a camping ground and prepare accommodations for the troops.
He was active in the development of the town of Poultney, was in the VT state legislature in 1802 and 1803 and was postmaster for several years. In 1810 he moved to Covington, Wyoming Co. NY where he lived for about 18 years. From there he moved to Saline MI.
MA Soldiers and Sailors in Revolution Vol. 4 p.111 Crittenden, Timothy, Lenox. Sergeant, Capt. Aaron Rowley's co., Col. Benjamin Simonds's (Berkshire Co.) regt.; entered service April 26, 1777; discharged May 19, 1777; service, 24 days; company called out by Maj. Gen. Gates and ordered to march to Saratoga on an alarm.
also, Capt. Oliver Belding's co., Maj. Caleb Hyde's detachment of militia; enlisted July 8, 1777; discharged July 21, 1777; service, 14 days, with Northern army; also, Capt. Aaron Rowley's co., Col. John Ashley's detachment of Berkshire Co. militia; entered service July 22, 1777; discharged Aug. 13, 1777; service, 23 days; company raised for service at Stillwater; also, Capt. Oliver Belding's co., Col. John Brown's regt.; entered service Sept. 21, 1777; discharged Oct. 14, 1777; service, 24 days, at the Northward; roll sworn to in Berkshire Co.
|90. Silas6 Beebe|
|100. Cornelius6 VanTassel|
Isaac Van Tassel of Manlius, N.Y., adm. of Alsey Van Tassel, late of sd. place, deposes 24 July 1844 that he is one of the ch. of Cornelius and Alsey Van Tassel, and applies in their behalf. His father Cornelius served as Pvt. in the Rev. War under Capt. Abiel Sherwood, Col. Morris Graham's N.Y. Regt.; was captured at Ft. Ann and carried to Can., where he was held for "upwards of two years." Cornelius Van Tassel m. Alsey Brower 30 June 1776 at Schaghticoke, N.Y.; he d. 28 Apr. 1830; his wid. Alsey d. at Manlius, 13 July 1839, leaving the following ch.: Cornelius, a resident of Ind.; Rahel Van Tassel, of Mich.; Leah, w. of Jacob Rose; Abraham, Stephen, and Isaac, who live in Onondaga Co.
The records of the Comptroller's Office of the State of N.Y. were cited to show the pay rec'd by Cornelius Van Tassel, Pvt. for service under Capt. Adriel Sherwood and Col. Morris Graham, stating that he was prisoner from 1 Sept. 1780 to 31 May 1783.
Family Bible Record: Cornelius Van Tassel and Alsey Brower were m. 30 Jan. 1776; Tuenis, b. 27 Nov. 1776; Leah, b. 28 Apr. 1778; Henry, b. Apr. 1780; Jacob, b. 9 Feb. 1784; Cornelius, b. 13 Jul 1786; Leah (2), b. 4 May 1788; John, b. 10 Apr. 1790; Rachel, b. 29 Jan. 1792; Abraham, b. 12 Nov. 1793; Isaac, b. 23 Oct. 1795; Stephen, b. 4 Aug. 1797.
Note: This is the only Cornelius Van Tassel on the Rev. War pension list.
Names Of Soldiers Who Drew Lots In The Military Tract, Onondaga County, NY: (Source: Sweet's New Atlas of Onondaga Co., New York. NY: Walker Bros. & Co., 1874, pp. 12-12a.) POMPEY No. 10, lot 43 Cornelius Van Tassel
Descendants of Cornelius Jensen Van Texel: As a young boy he went with his father to New York City when the Revolutionary War broke out. He left the city and at the end of the Revolutionary War, he and his family became residents of Albany County, New York. During the war he wa a private in Captain Adiel Sherwood's Co. and Col. Morris Graham's Regiment of the Le view. He was taken prisoner at Fort Ann, NY Sept 1 1780 and carried to Canada and Detained until May 21, 1783.
A story still related by his descendents is as follows: "When Cornelius was placed in prison with other prisoners, they were first placed in an old barn where they nearly starved to death. After several meal-less days they managed to coax a dog into the barn. They killed it and ate it raw. Cornelius used to say 't'was the best meal they ever had."
He lived for a number of years at or near Cobbleskill, New York. His children received the United States Pension in 1844.
Cornelius Van Tassell, (1748-1830), served as lieutenant in the First regiment, Westchester County militia.
|114. Moses6 Tucker|
Moses Tucker first appeared in 1769, at about age 20, as a creditor to the estate of John Smith Prather, Queen Anne's Parish, St. Barnabas Church, Leeland, Prince George's County, MD. ... Apparently Moses removed shortly thereafter to Bromfield Parish, Culpeper Co. VA.
Culpeper Co. Land: On 19 Aug 1776, Moses Tucker, who identified himself as "of Culpeper Co. VA," purchased ... 80 acres of land on the north side of Bloodsworth's Road in the line of the James Patent. The purchase included a house and other improvements. ... On 28 Feb 1800, Moses Tucker bought, ... for 75 pounds sterling, 12 shillings, 42 acres known as the Holdway tract, adjoining lands of Henry Towles, ... who married Alphia Tucker, daughter of Moses Tucker.
Personal Property Taxes of Moses Tucker: From 1782 through 1791 Mostes Tucker paid tithes on only one white male over age 16 (obviously himself) and he paid for one slave from 1789 through 1791. During that time, his horses and cattle ranged from three to four and back to one. Later tax reports begin to give evidence of his sons and changes in prosperity.
Bethel Baptist Church: Moses Tucker was one of the 72 persons who first constituted that church. The minutes of the church mention Ragged Mountain Baptist Church Monthly Meeting met and held at Bro. Moses Tucker on 3 Mar 1804. Later meetings were also held at his house.
First Wife of Moses Tucker: The name of the first wife of Moses Tucker is not known. The only evidence of her existence is that she left children who were born before 1793. One family of Culpeper County carries many connection to Moses Tucker and his descendants, so he probably married into that line or the Smith family.
|116. William6 Asher|
Deposition of Captain Benjamin Roberts, Shelby Co., KY, Sept. 4, 1832, for Bartlett Asher:
William Asher "was an ensign in his [Roberts'] company and was killed by the indians at the foot of the rapids on the 23rd day of July 1780 as appears from a note on his original list."
The William Asher family traveled with Clark's forces [to Kentucky]. Clark's forces were camped on Corn Island (no longer there) in the Ohio River. William was with other soldiers on a hunting trip on the Kentucky side of the river. He stayed with the boat. When the others came back to the boat, he was dead. --Kathryne Walters Hughes, 1993, courtesy Ed Zimmerman, February 2001
Land Office Military Certificates, Library of VA, Electronic Card Index:
...Bartlett Asher. See William Asher. LO 6881. (Armond; card 62 of 74)
...William Asher. En[sign] V[irginia] L[ine]. Box 6, 2. 5 items. (Armond; 64 of 74)
Revolutionary War Bounty Warrants, Library of VA, Electronic Card Index:
...William Asher,- Ensign- Army. Affidavit- Joseph Saunders. Affidavit- Ben. Roberts. Petition of Representation of William Asher. 1831. (Ascue; 19 of 51)
...William Asher, Ensign. See papers of Starke Moss, 1831. (Ascue; 20 of 51) [the card for Starke Moss, a Navy carpenter, includes the hand-written note: "Extract concerning officers killed in service"]
Warrants (The Kentucky Database that was the source of the following cannot be located.)
officer's name, William Asher, Ensign, State Line; 2666 2/3 acres; warrant obtained Mar. 29, 1831; time of service, during the war; p.86
William Asher, Ens., State Line; p.145
List of Officers of the Illinois Regiment Who Have Received Land for Their Services: William Asher, Ensign, 2666 2/3 acres, March, 1831. p.163
William Asher, Warrantee, and person who performed Revolutionary War service [blank], kind of service [usually stated as their rank]; Warrant No. 6,881; 2,666 2/3 acres; Bartlett Asher, person to whom the scrip was issued; Henry Northup, agent to whom the scrip was delivered; pp.282, 289
|128. Johann Adam7 Laux|
The first records of the Stone Arabia Reformed Church are the baptismal records of Adam and Catharina Lisa (Snell) Loucks' children. Adam served as an elder and deacon in the Stone Arabis Reformed Church. (This area was called "Stonrapie" meaning blackbird, and somehow through the years became "Stone Arabia"). The Church at Stone Arabia was in the beginning a union church: Reformed & Lutheran. There was a disagreement amont the Calvinists and the Lutherans and the land was divided and two churches built - the Twin Churches of Stone Arabia. Then twenty years later in 1768, the Lutheran Congregation asked Sir William Johnson to help settle the question of the divided land as one Calvinist Johannes Snell (the father of Catharina Lisa Loucks) had started an "insurrection", and was questioning the Lutheran Congregation's right ot the land. A new deed dated Dec. 29, 1770, from the Reformed Congregation to the Lutheran Congregation was drawn up. And NO, Johannes Snell was not on the Committee for the new deed. The Churches of Stone Arabia were destroyed by Sir John Johnson and his Loyalists on Oct. 19, 1780.
|154. John7 Bestede/Beckstead|
|160. Ephraim7 Herrick|
|180. Samuel7 Beebe|
His will was dated 10 Feb 1763 and probated 20 Feb 1753, and mentions his children, including Anne, an incapable person, to receive 15 pounds a year. His five eldest sons (Samuel, Elnathon, Theophilus, Silas, and Amon) were executors.
Southold, NY Land Deed dated 7 Dec 1763: The tract of land on Plum Island commonly called the Pines or Cedar Swamp, lately belonging to Samuel Beebe deceased, has been divided into five equal parts. The boundaries are defined and the owners are named as Samuel, Elnathon, Theophilus, Silas, and Amon Beebe.
The western portion of Plum Island was deeded by Samuel Beebe to his sons as follows: 50 acres to Theophilus Beebe (2 Apr 1761), 50 acres to Silas Beebe (2 Apr 1761) and 50 acres to Amon Beebe (8 Feb 1763).
|174. Joseph7 Adams|
|200. Thunnis7 VanTassel|
On May 1, 1761, Thunnis van Tassel and wife Sophia, conveyed Lot #42 Day Street, New York City to Dirck Day. On March 5, 1789, Cornelius, Hendrick and Abraham Van Tassel, John Shaw and wife Alida, John Moral and wife Esther, all of Albany County, and heirs of Thunnis Van Tassel, late of Cambridge confirmed to Dirck Day his title to Lot #43 Day Street, which lot was intended to be conveyed on May 1, 1761. The original deed gave the wrong number of the lot.
|224. Stokeley7 Towles|
Towles ... lived north of Jamaica in Middlesex county until 1737. ... In 1737 Towles moved to a plantation on the east side of Robinson river, at the foot of Thoroughfare mountain, then in Orange, afterwards in Culpeper, now in Madison.
Towles' will, of record at Culpeper, made January 15, proved December 15 1757, ... gave certain land to his son Joseph and to Isaac Medley, personal property to sons John and Joseph, wife Jane and the two minor children, Mary and Henry, the residue of the estate to be "divided amongst all my children, young and old". The will shows that Towles was growing cotton in the Piedmont and importing goods from Liverpool.
|226. Edward7 Ballinger|
18 May 1736, Edward Ballenger and Mary his wife, deeds of lease and release: Ballenger and Bloodsworth trade property. Ballenger to Bloodsworth--the 400 acres above. Bloodworth to Ballenger, 200 acres (Orange Co., VA DB 1:249-258).
1740 Robert Hutchason buys 200 acres in St. Marks Parish in Orange County, Virginia from Joseph Bloodworth. "Land containing two hundred acres Situate lying & being in the Parish & County aforesaid ?? is the land whereon afsaid Hutchason now lives & is part of a Greater tract Granted by pattent unto Edward Ballenger for four hundred acres of twentyeth day of June MDccxxxiij  & by afsd Ballenger trasferred to afsaid Joseph Bloodworth by Deed of Leas? Release bearing date the fourth & fifth days of May MDccxxxiiij "
Property: "Beginning at three pines corner to John Sutton thence south twenty three degrees East Three hundred and Eighty poles to three pines thence North Sixty Seven degrees Est 85 poles to a Stake beginning at 3 pines north twenty three Degrees West three hundred & forty four poles to a red and white Oake Near Jacob Manspoils line thence North Eighty Six deg West to the Beginning."
S 23 E; 380 poles
N 67 E; 85 poles
N 23 W; 344 poles
N 86 W
Source: Deed Book #4, Orange County, Virginia, pages 34-35.
Will, St. Mark's Parish, Culpeper County, dated 9 DEC 1779, proved 20 MAR 1780 (Source: Culpeper County Virginia, Will Book B:360) His will does not name a wife but does name 7 children viz: Edward, Margery wife of Stokely Towles (Jr.), Agathy Kilby (wife of John Kilby), Susannah, Francis, John and Mary. One of his daughters, Mary, married Michael Wilhoit, son of Tobias Wilhoit, and was the mother of his grandson Gabriel Wilhoit named in his will. The will was witnessed by Robert Coleman, Ann Bailley and Hutt (Hill?) Randolph. (Also See "The Second Germanna Colony of 1717", p. 13-14, The Germanna Record No. 6 June 1965 by the Memorial Foundation of the Germanna Colonies in Virginia, Culpeper, VA).
|227. Mary7 [--?--]|
|336. Samuel8 Mears|
Dawes-Gates 1:432-435: Samuel had grown to manhood at the homestead originally owned by his grandfather, Robert Mears, and he inherited the south half of that property. In about 1708, Samuel and his family moved to Roxbury Gate where they lived in the George Tavern. The Tavern was located just north of the present Lenox Street and the stone marking the Boston-Roxbury line, on the west side of Washington, midway between the present Arnold and Ball Streets.
The land belonging to George Tavern in the days when Samuel lived there extended south to Arnold Street. The tavern was beautifully located, part of an estate of twenty acres, extending to the Roxbury line on the south and across the marshes of Roxbury Flats to the great creek which formed its western boundary. It had orchards, gardens, and a site commanding a view of Boston and its harbor on one side, and Cambridge Bay with the shore of the mainland on the other. The Tavern was burned by the British in 1776, in retaliation for the destruction of Brown's House a few weeks before.
Samuel was the innkeeper for eighteen years or more. Many references are found from 1711 to 1723 of the Boston selectmen and town officers meeting at his tavern. The tavern is said to have enjoyed a high reputation for the quality of its entertainment. It is said that in the yard of George Tavern bull baits were a common spectacle.
In 1726, Samuel moved to Dock Square in the business district of Boston where he ran the Sun Tavern for a short time until he died. The Tavern stood on Corn Court, near Faneuil Hall, and about 30 ft. from the dock. His son-in-law, Rev. Samuel Dexter, kept a diary in which he recorded Samuel's last illness:
"On ye 14th of Janry last past, ... Mr Mears was violently seiz'd & fell into a Fitt & his water ran from him as a dying man, but he quickly so far recover'd as to walk abt again, but from ys time always seemed dull, & like one in a maze; abt ye 15th of February he was seiz'd again with ye same Lythargical Trouble, with great strength, & he was brought very low - no Body expected his life, but yet he with wm Nothing is Impossible, so far recover'd him yt he was able to Walk abroad again & went into ye Country hoping to receive Benifit by ye change of Air -
"he seemed sometime more bright and Lively then at others, but frequently visited with ye Head ach & dull heavy fits - he had been at Malden something better than a week wn he was last seiz'd with yt Lythargical Trouble of which he dyed - he was to have come home on fryday May 5th, & his wife went for him, but he was so dull & stupyfyed yt he did not know her for near an hour, but then came too, so well yt he would have her go home & set ye house in Order & come to him yesterday, but was never able to speak anything to her afterwards.
"Sabbath day Evening we were sent for, & went Early on Monday Morning, and wn we came, found him quite Stupyfyed & Senseless; if we spake to him he wd give us no Answer, excepting 3 times he Answered Yes, wn Askt a Question - Praying with him seem'd to rouse him as much as anything; & thus he lay all Monday, sometimes as if he slept, & wn we Judg'd him Awake, not opening his Eyes nor taking any Notice, but yr was a difference in his Breathing. My Wife watch'd with him yt Night, & abt two hours before day, yr seem'd to be an Alteration in his Breath & Manner of Lying -
"we Judged he slept no more till he dyed, but was under ye Immediate Arrests of Death from yt time - he liv'd till wednesday, Eight of ye Clock - had a very hard death, & I hope, Exchange'd Earth for Heaven. He was in Genll a just, honest man, & very Charitable for one of his Capacity - he never came to ye Lds Table, but Lamented his Neglect very much wn he was visited ye second time, & had proceeded so far, yt if God had given Oppertunity he was to have been received into ye Ch ye Sabbath before he dyed - ye Instance shd be a warning to others not to delay. My wife has lost a tender, loving Father, & I have lost a very kind, bountyfull friend."
|337. Maria Katherina8 Smith|
|338. John8 Kilbourne|
|344. Thomas8 Crittenden|
|360. Samuel8 Beebe|
He was called "Lord of the Isles", and lived "in plentiful farmer style, with sloops and boats for pleasure and traffic at his command". A rock in the sea nearby was called "Beebe's Thorne", and he was known personally as "King Beebe".
In religion he was a follower of the Rogerene sect (being married into the Rogers family), was an opponent of infant baptism, and was in constant conflict with the church.
New London Co. Court Records:
1685 Apr 4: Samuel Beebe Jr. sentenced for working on the Sabbath day, fine imposed. Another source says he was whipped (perhaps both).
1692 Jun 7: Samuel Beebe vs. Zaccheus Wheeler for stealing a mare. Verdict in favor of the plaintiff.
1692 Jun 7: Samuel Beebe Jr., complained of for beating Zaccheus Wheeler, fined ten shillings.
1692 Jun 7: John Rogers vs. Samuel Beebe Jr. for killing an ox.
1711 Jun 5: Samuel Beebe of Southold, Long Island, NY vs. John Rogers and John Jackson of New London, Conn. for taking a negro woman and two children from Beebe's house at Long Island, NY.
His will was dated 18 Nov 1741.
|361. Elizabeth8 Rogers|
Here lyes Elizabeth, once Samuel Beebe's wife
Who once was made a living soul but now deprived of life
Yet firmly did believe that at her Lord's return
She would be made a living soul in her own shape and form
Lived 4 and 30 years a wife was aged 57
Has now layd down this mortal life in hope to life in Heaven
June ye 10, 1716
|400. Cornelius8 VanTexel|
|401. Weyntje8 Kraukheyt|
8 Mar 2003 message from Wendy Hiefield in Huguenot-L Archives (Roots Web): Abraham De Reviere II was the first elder of Old Dutch Church, Sleepy Hollow, Philipsburgh (Tarrytown).
|512. Tonge9 Laux|
|640. Ephraim9 Herrick|
|646. Thomas9 Varney|
|802. Theunnis Herrickse9 Cranckheyt|
|666. George9 Partridge|
|672. Samuel9 Mears|
He was a sergeant in Capt. Oliver's company, formed in Nov-Dec 1675 during King Philip's War. They traveled from Dedham Plain, where they assembled, down to Wickford, now in Rhode Island. On Dec 18-20 they marched through the snow to the Narragansett Fort, fought a terrible battle, and then made the exhausting eighteen mile trip back through ever deepening snow, with the uninjured carrying the dead and severely wounded and supporting those with lesser hurts. Most if not all who missed injury in battle were partly frozen before they reached camp. No record is seen of injury to Samuel, however his early death may have resulted from the hardships of his military service.
|673. Mary9 Stacy|
With her husband's early death, she was left with the care of six children ranging in age from three to eleven. She was appointed administratrix for Samuel's estate.
|674. Thomas9 Smith|
Students of art have surmised that certain other early paintings may have come from his brush. They also believe that a naval battle incorporated into his self-portrait recorded an action in which Capt. Thomas himself took part. The victorious vessel flies the British flag, but identification of the sinking vessel has not yet been made. It may have been a pirate or have been using an unknown flag as a disguise. He was a well educated man. His painted script is excellent - far above the average of that day. His clothing and surroundings bespeak wealth. He is seated in a red upholstered chair studded with brass-headed nails; has gray hair, blue eyes; is wearing a dark brown coat, ...
|676. John9 Kilbourne|
Glastonbury Town Meeting, 9 Jan 1692-3, Sgt. Samuel Wells, Joseph Smith, and John Kilburn were appointed a Committee to carry on the whole work of building the said house for the Rev. Mr. Stephens.
|678. Eleazer9 Kimberly|
He was one of the organizers of the new town of Glastonbury CT. He was elected Secretary of CT Colony May 1696 and held that position until his death. He was also a Justice at Glastonbury, 1693-4, 1698-1708. He wrote a fine copperplate hand.
|682. Job9 Drake|
|684. Nathaniel9 Loomis|
|685. Elizabeth9 Moore|
|686. Job9 Whitcomb|
|694. Nathaniel9 Stevens|
|696. Edward9 Adams|
|697. Lydia9 Penniman|
|698. Thomas9 Ellis|
|702. Obadiah9 Johnson|
The founding of this area involved a great deal of controversy. The community was not a peaceable one and it required aggressive men to control it. Obadiah and his brother William seem to have been ready equally with counsel, purse, fists or hatchets.
In 1703 he was allowed to keep a house of public entertainment. He (as Sgt.) was baptized 3 Jan 1714 and he and his wife were admitted to the church at Canterbury 29 Aug 1714. He was town clerk, and town meetings and religious services were held at his house.
|720. Samuel9 Beebe|
He was a large landholder and prosperous farmer. He was also a soldier and participated in various campaigns against the Indians. On 4 Jun 1675 he was confirmed as a Sergeant of Trainband along with his brother Thomas Beebe, and again in 1678. ... In 1708 he testified that he and his brother built the fence to Mr. Winthrop's pasture some sixty years before.
He moved about 1704 to Plum Island, Suffolk Co. NY, across from New London CT. After his death his widow moved to Colchester, New London Co. CT, where she may have died.
|722. James9 Rogers|
|800. Jan Cornelius9 VanTexel|
Jan Cornelius lived at Midwond (Flatbush), Long Island. It was there he married and his children were born. He and his wife became members of the Old Dutch Church of Sleepy Hollow when it was organized about 1697. He was at one time a Deacon and at another Elder of the church.
His name appears on the Flatbush records as Jan Cornelissen Van Texel and as Jan Cornelius Van Texel. On the 12 day of March, 1661 he got a grant of 60 morgens (120 acres) of land at that place and on the 26th of October, 1664, his land is referred to. He was later allotted in pursuance of the patent at Flatbush, 23 morgans (46 acres) of land in the said town-on the south side of the Bowery of Bastel Classen with plain land and salt meadow. He sold it January 20, 1670 to Aucke Janse Van Meyse.
|903. Dorothy9 [–?–]|
|1292. William10 Varney|
|1293. Bridget10 Knight|
|1344. Robert10 Mears|
In Sep 1648, he purchased a property from James Penniman that was a house with spacious grounds where he made his home for the rest of his life. The property lay on the west side of Court (now Tremont) Street, opposite the end of Hanover St. and measured 85 ft. on Tremont and 284 1/2 ft on the south side which adjoined the grounds of Gov. Endicott, with Rev. John Cotton's home next to the south.
|1345. Elizabeth10 ?Johnson|
|1347. Elizabeth10 Clerke|
|1354. William10 Hills|
Of his first wife, Phillis Lyman, Eliot wrote: God wrought upon her heart in this Land, she grew deaf; which disease increasing was a great affliction to her.
|1356. Thomas10 Kimberly|
|1360. William10 Rockwell|
|1366. Benedict10 Alford|
|1368. Joseph10 Loomis|
In America, he was first of Dorchester MA. About 1639 he removed to Windsor CT, possibly among the company led by Rev. Ephraim Huit. His house at Windsor was located on high land at the junction of the Farmington and Connecticut rivers. When these rivers overflowed, it was surrounded by water, whence came its name, "The Island." The house is still standing.
|1369. Mary10 White|
In the same vein, it is worth noting that the White children tried to stay together when they settled across the Atlantic: when Joseph Loomis and John Porter occupied adjacent home lots in Windsor in 1639, their wives, Mary (White) Loomis and her sister Anna (White) Porter, became next door neighbors.
|1370. John10 Moore|
|1372. John10 Whitcomb|
He probably emigrated in 1634. Frances' younger brother Henry was a sea captain sailing back and forth from England as well as to and from Barbados Island. As sister and brother-in-law of the captain, it is reasonable to believe that they could have sailed as 'ships company' and hence the name would easily have been omitted from the ship's passenger list.
He was an early settler of Dorchester MA where he was a proprietor as early as 1636. About 1640 he removed to Scituate, and was admitted freeman of Plymouth Colony 3 Jun 1652. In 1654 he removed to Lancaster.
He owned a farm of one hundred eighty acres in Dorchester, on the Marshfield side, near the mouth of the North river. John and his son John Jr. are listed among the founders of the town of Lancaster. He was one of the largest land owners in Lancaster. The present (1884) post-office and bank building are probably on the Whitcomb lands. Both the father's and son John Jr.s house lots extended across the street eastward, meeting the other range of lots upon the neck. The chief products of his farm in 1662 were corn, tobacco and flax. At the settlement of his estate, the house lot which had been John Jr.'s was allotted to the youngest sons, Job and Josiah. John Sr. was a man of education, as is shown by his fine penmanship.
|1376. Abraham10 Crittenden|
|1378. Thomas10 Gregson|
Pope says he is the grandson of Henry Gregson of Duffield, and is perhaps the son of Henry's son Henry.
He was part of the company of Gov. Eaton and Rev. John Davenport that landed at Boston MA, 26 Jun 1637. He took part with them in the settlement of New Haven, where, as Winthrop says, he was "probably the chief man in the Colony after Eaton." He was its first treasurer, the first Commissioner of the United Colonies of New England, an Assistant to the Governor and an active merchant. He lived on the east side of the harbor in New Haven.
In Jan 1646, he and others sailed for London and nothing was ever afterwards heard of them. The loss of the ship in which he sailed forms the subject of Longfellow's "Phantom Ship."
Inventory taken 2 Nov 1647, presented 7 Dec 1647: Land in 1st Div. Westmeadow £16,5; land on further side of W. Meadow £5, 15; 21A Meadow £21; Dwelling house and home lot £48; little house and barn £35.
Distribution, 2 Apr 1716, to heirs of only son Richard, heirs of Mrs. Anna Daniells, heirs of Susanna Crittenden, heirs of Rebeckah Bowers, heirs of Sarah Whitehead, daughter Phebe Russell.
Families of Ancient New Haven 3_689: a member of the family of Sherrow Hall, Thurvaston, Derbyshire, England; Treasurer and Magistrate of New Haven Colony, Commissioner for the United Colonies.
|1379. Jane10 [--?--]|
to daughter Anna Daniel, my house and homelot and the remainder of my upland not yet disposed of at my farm on the east side of New Haven harbor (about 30A [acres]), unless some of the children of my son Richard Gregson in England come over (in which event such child is to have them after her death);
and to daughter Anna Daniel my meadow at my said farm for life, then to her daughter,
to daughter Mary in England 30A of my Third Division near the Sperries' farm,
also to daughter Anna Daniel 6 or 7A of meadow near Westfield for life, then to those of the children that need it most,
to grandchild Ruth Frisbie of Branford 14A of my East Side farm,
also 15A of said farm to daughter Susannah Crittenden,
to daughter Phebe, 40A in the Third Division,
to grandchild Elizabeth Winston, 8A of meadow and 10A of the Third Division,
to grandschild Elizabeth Winston, 8A of meadow and 10A of the Third Division,
to grandchild Joanna Thompson, 9A of Third Division and 5A in the Quarter by the west lane after my daughter Daniel's decease,
to grandchild Rebecca Thompson, 6A meadow at Westfield (so called) now in her possession and 10A of Third Division,
to great-grndchild Elizabeth Glover that now lives with me, 9A in the Neck,
to the four children of my daughter Whitehead, 6A of third Division each,
daughter Daniel to have all movables in the house and be executrix.
Witnesses: Wm Peck and John Jones.
Codicil (verbal) made a short time after the will.
6A of meadow to daughter Daniels and after her death to her daughter Joanna and her children, viz. 3A at South End and 3A at the West Side,
also 8A of meadow at South End to daughter Susanna Crittenden.
Witness Hannah Falconer. Witnesses sworn in Court 30 Jul 1702.
Inventory taken 4 Aug 1702. House and homelot £80, meadow on the West Side cove £24, meadow on the East Side £30, land on East Side untaken up £15, Third Division land £27. Total £198. Debts unknown.
Distribution to Mrs. Ruth Frisby alias Hoadly, Joanna Thompson, Mrs. Susanna Crittenden and Mrs. Mary Wyke.
|1380. Josiah10 Hull|
|1382. William10 Kelsey|
In June 1636, fifty families of Hooker's Company, including William Kelsey, moved to Connecticut, where they established Hartford and William was considered one of the "original proprietors". He received 16 acres on the road from Centinel Hill to the North Meadow, at what is now the corners of Village, Pleasant and Windsor Streets, and reaching to within a half-mile of Main Street in the heart of the present city. His neighbors included Mathew Marvin, Edward Stebbins, and James Olmstead.
In 1663, a colony of 16 families moved from Hartford to a new town now called Killingworth CT. William and some of his children (including Abigail, the others were either married or had died) were among the group. He was again one of the original proprietors. On 11 May 1671 he was deputy from Killingworth to the General Court at Hartford which was held in Jeremy Adams' Tavern.
All of the information about William's wife/wives from the Kelsey genealogy (1928) is speculative and is not included here. Perhaps there is later research that will clarify the issue.
|1386. George10 Bartlett|
He was at Guilford soon after the settlement of the plantation. He seems to have been a man of education and consequence in the community, and was frequently a witness in the Courts. His homelot of 4 1/2 acres was at the south-west corner of the Green. Among other civic duties he was one of the first deacons of the Guilford Church. He also served as town clerk.
In 1654, New Haven raised a company of 133 men, commanded by Capt. Seeley, to cooperate with an army of 800 from all of the United Colonies of New England. George Bartlett was appointed to command the Guilford contingent of 17, with the rank of sergeant.
In 1649, he and John Hoadley were appointed by the town of Guilford to build a cart bridge over the East River. A year previously, he had been one of three men appointed to build a fence to keep the young cattle from the "herd's walk."
|1388. William10 Stevens|
In 1701 on a deed he "being by the providence of God burned on his right hand made this mark W." His will dated 23 Feb 1704 is signed by a mark which roughly forms WS.
|1392. Henry10 Adams|
In 1640 he was granted 40 acres at Mount Wollaston (Braintree, in that part now Quincy) at 3s per acre. His house lot in Medfield was on Bridge Street. In his memory his descendant, President John Adams, erected a granite column in the churchyard at Braintree, on which are inscribed these words:
"In memory of Henry Adams who took his flight from the Dragon of persecution in Devonshire, England, and alighted with eight sons near Mount Wollaston. One of the sons returned, and, after taking time to explore the country, four removed to Medfield and the neighboring towns; two to Chelmsford. One only, Joseph, who lies here at his left hand, remained here, who was an original proprietor in the township of Braintree, 1639.
This stone and several others have been placed in this yard by a great-grandson from a veneration of the piety, humility, sympathy, prudence, patience, temperance, frugality, industry and perseverance of his ancestors, in hope of recommending an emulation of their virtues to their posterity."
|1393. Edith10 Squire|
|1394. James10 Penniman|
Soon after 1635, James and Lydia may have moved to Mt. Wollaston (Quincy), where the minister was John Wheelwright who was later found guilty of sedition and contempt because of his religious views. In Nov 1637 it was ordered that a number of the followers of Mr. Wheelwright (and Anne Hutchinson) were ordered to turn in all their guns, pistols, powder and shot, and were not to buy or borrow any more until the Court would allow them to. James Penniman's name was among those disarmed. This high-handed action left those disarmed without any protection to themselves or their families from the horrors of an Indian massacre.
In Mar 1637 he was given leave to move to that part of the marsh on the neck near to his "garding" which he had "wantonly sowen." In 1639 he bought three acres from his brother-in-law Francis Eliot, and built a home there. The land was on the Town Brook in the area of present Bigelow St. and Revere Road in Quincy. The footway to his house, mentioned in 1641, is now generally Miller Stile Road, from the road to landing, now Elm St. The Miller-Everett house now stands on the property. Henry Adams was a near neighbor.
A note recorded in Braintree in 1641: "There is a footway to ly from the lane of Goodman Penniman where it is marked on the paills and two ladders appointed to be made for a style and from thence upon a straight line to the meeting house over the bridge."
In 1644 he was granted 200 acres at Braintree.
|1398. Thomas10 Wight|
|1400. Moses10 Cleveland|
|1402. John10 Wilson|
Further, the Wilsons were alienated from the majority of the inhabitants by their identification with the Baptist faith. In June 1675, he and his wife were fined for frequently absenting themselves from public worship on the Lord's day.
|1403. Hannah10 James|
During her second marriage, she lived in Salem Village (now Danvers). This town was the center of the witchcraft hysteria, and after Fuller's death, (one source says he was still living at the time), Hannah, a stranger, prudently decided to return to Woburn. In 1697, her son-in-law, James Proctor was called to account for "entertaining" her without leave of the selectmen. Subsequently, he, her sons James and Samuel and Aaron Cleveland gave a bond for £80, to free the town of any charge for her care.
|1404. John10 Johnson|
His home in Woburn was to the south of his father's, on the west side of the present Cambridge Street and south of the present Lexington Street. He owned a sawmill in Woburn (probably on the site occupied in 1914 by the J.H. Gerlack Mill in Arlington MA). The records of Middlesex County still bear evidence relating to houses and a bridge constructed by him.
In 1671 he paid a fine for being absent from public worship. In his testimony he "confessed that he had formerly gone to ye Anabaptistical assembly but now he had left off". In 1712, he, then under the care of a physician for lameness, and his wife Bethia were taken to the home of their son Obadiah in Canterbury CT where they passed the remainder of their days.
|1406. Thomas10 Brooks|
|1440. John10 Beebe|
Called second son in his fathers will in 1622.
In an indenture(162/361) on 17/11 Charles 5th year (1631) John bebye of Broughton and his wife Rebecca sold land in Great Addington to his elder brother James of Islip, both referred to as sons of John bebye, deceased.
Inventory of the estate of John Beebe from his will:
20 yards white Twill, 3.0.0
14 yards Yorkshire Kernery 3.3.0
13 yards Yorkshire Kerney 3.0.8
White Kersey 5.6.8
17 1/4 yards Grey Kerney 3.17.7
Remnant of Kersey
3 Coverlids, 1 blanket, 2 feather beds and bolster, 4 pillows, 4 hair sheets, 1 sheet, 1 pillow case, parcel of clothes and other old things, 2 flock beds and bolster, 3 saws, 1 pade pan, 1 brass pot and posnitt, 5 sitters, 6 ruhstones, parcel of pewter dishes and porringers, 4 stock locks, 2 pair bellows, 1 parcel iron tools, 2 chests, small implements for husbandry, a bed cord, books and glass bottles, 15 shillings, 3 pence
4 gunns, powder, and shot and swords. A parcel of pewter, a fire pan and warming pan, and frying pan. 3 swords 15 shillings,
1 flock bed and bolster, 1 pair curtains and vallante, 4 pair sheets and 2 board clothes, 13 napkins and towels, 11 pillow cases, 1 remnant linen cloth, 1 blanket, 1 coverlid and cushion.
A parcel of tool for a joyner 10 shillings, 3 boses, 3 wooden vessels, a parcel of carpenter tools, 1 shilling 4 pence.
A remnant of cotton.
Beebe Genealogy: He was described as a yeoman and lived in St. Andrews Parish of Broughton NTH ENG. In 1638 he inherited his father's home. In 1649 his sons John and Samuel Beebe emigrated to the American colonies, and in the spring of 1650, he and other members of his family followed suit.
His will was written and signed on board ship on 18 May 1650. It is presumed that he died the same day. His daughter Hannah and wife Rebecca are not mentioned in his will, and are presumed to have died before 1650.
|1600. Cornelius Jensen10 VanTexel|
|1602. Albert Steven10 Konin|
|1604. Herck Siboutszen10 Cranckheyt|
While he went by the name of Sybouts and his children by the patronymic Hercx, his grandchildren adopted the surname Krankheit.