Return to Rand Descendant Chart.
Dr. Gillett was a native of Indiana and served through the war. He graduated at the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York in 1869. He was rapidly acquiring a high place in the profession when stricken with the disease which terminated his professional career and finally his life.
Dr. Gillett came here from Iowa City, Ia., where he occupied one of the chairs in the State University. He was especially skillful as a surgeon. Since coming here the doctor has done considerable literary work and with much success.
He first went to the Orient in 1901 and was the first Y.M.C.A. secretary in Korea. In 1913 he returned to China and in 1918 became general secretary of the Y.M.C.A. in Nanking. In 1936 he served at the Y.M.C.A. at Bangkok, Siam. He had officially retired from the international committee in 1932.
A Brief History of the YMCA Movement: ... Through the influence of nationally known lay evangelists Dwight L. Moody (1837-1899) and John Mott (1865-1955), who dominated the movement in the last half of the 19th and first half of the 20th centuries respectively, the American YMCAs sent workers by the thousands overseas, both as missionary-like YMCA secretaries and as war workers.
The first foreign work secretaries, as they were called, reflected the huge missionary outreach by Christian churches near the turn of the century. But instead of churches, they organized YMCAs that eventually were placed under local control. ...
The first institution of higher learning organized by the YMCA national organization was the School for Christian Workers in Springfield, Mass. Later known as the International YMCA Training School and finally as Springfield College, the School was to train Y workers in all aspects of business and management. Previously, academic training for YMCA employees was mostly summer institutes and training sessions, the first being held in 1884 at Lake Geneva, Wis. These were insufficient, though, and at least since 1876 there had been calls for Ys in large metropolitan areas to set up training schools ...
Mr. Hubbard was co-founder and first president of the Colorado Senior Lobby and a member and past president of Red Rocks Lions Club in Morrison. He founded Morrison's first Boy Scout Troop.
Dr. Gillett held the post of director of public health and sanitation continuously since 1909 with the exception of 15 months during World War I when he was stationed at the Army Medical school in Washington, D.C. While there he met many national celebrities including Robert Lansing, secretary of state in the Woodrow Wilson administration; Ty Cobb, one of the greatest baseball players of all time; Branch Rickey, baseball magnate and Eddie Rickenbacker, noted race driver and World War ace aviator.
Retired as a captain in the medical corps, in 1919, Dr. Gillett returned to Colorado Springs to resume his work here and again played a leading role in improvement of health conditions in the city and county, particularly in prevention and treatment of diseases in the schools. Under Dr. Gillett's regime, the nursing department was added to the health department and changes were made to methods of handling contagious diseases. He was instrumental in the building of the contagious disease hospital by the city in 1917, and the county isolation hospital in Bear Creek canon. ...
He moved with his family to Iowa city, Ia., when he was a small child. The family came to Colorado Springs in February 1888.
Omer R. Gillett attended public school here and at the age of 17 was a member of the first High school football team organized in the city. He was graduated in 1893 in the first class to be graduated from the senior high school. He then attended Colorado College and was a member of the first Tiger basketball squad, organized in 1897. He was graduated from Colorado College in 1898.
As a youth he packed burros to the resort hotel on the south slope of Pikes Peak, operated by Everett and Paul Curtis, located on a claim that included Hart Lake, now known as municipal reservoir No. 5. Burros loaded with supplies, were guided from Colorado Springs to the hotel by Gillett over a trail thru Bear Creek canon. At that time carriages reached the hotel over the old Cheyenne Toll road which later became the Cripple Creek stage road. The log hotel, which was razed years ago, was a favorite starting place, for persons making the trip to the summit of Pikes Peak by burro.
After his graduation from Colorado College, Gillett attended the University of Iowa to study medicine. After two years there he entered Jefferson Medical college at Philadelphia where he received his M.D. degree in 1902. For a year he was interne at Jefferson college hospital and then returned to Colorado Springs to enter private practice in 1903.
A man who was always interested in his fellowmen, Dr. Gillett was active in many organizations and had life interests outside the medical profession, ranging to church, sports and philanthropic work. He was a member of the medical staff of Glockner, St. Francis and Beth-El now Memorial hospital; was a past president of the El Paso County medical society, past president of the Solly Tuberculosis society; the Colorado Medical society and the American Medical Association. He also belonged to the Colorado Springs Clinical club, the American Health Association and was a past president of the Jefferson Medical alumnae.
In civic interests he was first president of the Colorado Springs Kiwanis club and the third district governor of the Kiwanis club of Colorado and Wyoming. He was past vice president of the Winter Night Club, a member of the El Paso club, past exaited ruler of the Elks lodge and past commander of the American Legion. He was a director of the YMCA and a member of Beta Theta Pi fraternity, and belonged to the Methodist church.
Active in Masonic circles, Dr. Gillett was a member of AF and AM No. 104, was past commander of Knights Templar, and was knight commander of the court of honor, the next highest rank above the 32nd degree Masons.
National cyclopaedia of American biography, 27:431: In addition to his private practice in Colorado Springs, he was a member of the medical staffs of Glockner Sanitarium and Hospital from 1906 to 1948, of St. Francis Hospital and Sanitarium for forty-two years, and of Beth-el (later Memorial) Hospital from its inception in 1911 until his death.
Following 1915 he made daily professional calls at the Colorado Springs Day Nursery, a volunteer community service. In addition he was a director of the local YMCA. In his will he bequeathed $7000 to Colorado College and $2000 to the Colorado Springs Day Nursery.
Politically he was a Republican.
Return to Rand Descendant Chart.
Los Banos survivor, By Sherry Devlin of the Missoulian:
Return to Rand Descendant Chart.
AMOS POOLE, fruit-raiser, P. O. Cobden. ... When a boy, Amos learned his trade of blacksmith, and then began working by the day. This he continued for six years, and in that time saved $2,000; then established a business of his own at Milton, Mass., six miles south of Boston Court House. Here he continued for about 25 years, till coming to Union County, Ill., February, 1868. When coming to this county, he bought but 40 acres of his present farm, and has since been engaged in general fruit and vegetable growing. His farm contains 80 acres and is well improved, but contained few of the present improvements when he bought it.
In Milton, Mass., October 6, 1841, he was married to Miss Caroline C. Rand. She was born in Bradford, Vt., but her parents moved to Milton, Mass., when she was small, and resided there until the time of their death. She is the daughter of John and Elizabeth (Babcock) Rand. ...
Mr. and Mrs. Poole have five sons living, one daughter dead: George A., Caroline S. (deceased), William H., Arthur B., Franklin R. and Frederick C. The daughter died January 5, 1867. She was the wife of John Ritchie of Boston.
The Poole Bros., George A. and William H., started into the printing business for themselves January, 1881, and have in their employ over 80 persons. Rooms 117-119 Lake Street, Chicago. Entrance also on Clark Street. They were both with Rand, McNally & Co. for quite a time, and are still interested in the company as stockholders. George A. had clerked for them, but William H. learned the printer's trade. The other three sons are in Montana. In politics, Mr. Poole is a Republican, and has not been without political honors, serving one term in the Massachusetts State Legislature.
Poole family in America p.49: Representative in 1856. ... In about 1867 he removed to Illinois, purchasing a small estate at Cobden, where he lived, with his wife, as a gentleman farmer and fruit-grower until his death.
Chicago Daily Tribune, 28 Dec 1912: one of the oldest of the city's manufacturers, being the founder of the printing house of Poole Bros.
Chicago Daily Tribune, 8 Sep 1918: president of Poole Brothers, and with his brother, the late WIlliam H. Poole, founder of that firm ... came to Chicago in 1866 from Boston and with his uncle, William H. Rand, and Andrew McNally, formed the partnership which purchased the job printing plant of THE TRIBUNE. This partnership afterwards was incorporated under the name of Rand, McNally & Co. Mr. Poole was treasurer of the concern until 1879, when he established the printing house of Poole Brothers.
Poole family in America, p.51-55: Probably the most notable characteristics of George Amos Poole were the singularly upright character of his life and his genial and kindly disposition. This combination naturally brought him many loyal friends, both within and without the circle of his business life, and doubtless was an important factor in his business success. Coupled with these qualities was a native modesty which made personal publicity of any kind most distasteful to him.
He ... came west in 1866, for some years representing the clothing firm of Philip Wadsworth and Company, of Boston. His duties took him over a good part of what was then the "wild" west, much of which west of the Missouri River he was obliged to cover by the old-fashioned state coach or by river boats when the river was high enough.
A few years later, with his uncle, William H. Rand and Andrew McNally, he formed a partnership which pruchased the job printing plant of the Chicago Tribune. This partnership was afterwards incorporated under the name of Rand McNally & Company, of which concern he was treasurer until 1879, when with his brother William H. Poole, he established the printing house of Poole Bros.
For many years the work of the firm was confined to printing for transportation companies, with a patronage that included practically every railroad in the country. The concern had the distinction of being the largest one in the United States exclusively engaged in transportation printing, but in later years the business was extended until it enjoyed a large commercial patronage as well.
[He] was always interested in the welfare of the printing industry, as well as in the reputation and success of his own business. In 1887, together with Andrew McNally, J.M.W. jones, D.R. Cameron, and C.A. Knight, well known Chicago printers at that time, he addressed a call to the printers of the entire United States to gather in Chicago as they considered the conditions at that time ripe for the formation of a national printers' organization. This meeting was held, and in it the United Typothetae of America had its origin.
After his retirement from the active management of the business in 1912, he spent his time principally at his summer home near Holland, Michigan, and at his winter home in Cocoanut Grove, Florida, retaining his residence in Chicago. He was particularly interested in yachts and yachting, and was prominent in that field.
He was a Mason and a member of the Union League, Flossmoor Country, Windsor Golf, and Biscayne Bay Yacht, clubs.
National cyclopaedia of American biography 18:167 - ... For many decades the Pooles and the Rand, McNally Company published practically every railroad map on the North American continent, and they were usually so accurate that they were the only ones to be found in many rural schools. ... In politics he was a Republican and in religion a Methodist.
Outside the relatives of Miss Poole the wedding was attended only by a small company of more intimate friends of the couple from Chicago, who remained to a wedding breakfast and returned to this city the same afternoon.
Mr. and Mrs. Davies left for a Canadian wedding tour. They will visit friends in the dominion and will be at home at 6835 Central avenue, Bryn Mawr, after Feb. 1.
The bride since the death of her mother has presided over her father's household. She is popular in church and social circles on the south side.
Poole family in America p.57: educated at Miss Rice's School in Chicago, and is an accomplished pianist, having studied with several of Chicago's foremost teachers.
Chicago Daily Tribune, 30 Sep 1940: She had been spending the summer at Whitefield NH.
His brother, John H. Davies, is of the faculty of the Wales university at Aberistwyth and one of the trustees of the National Museum of Wales. He is an accomplished authority on Welsh literature. Another brother is Dr. Walter Davies, a leading Welsh physician. A sister is the widow of Thomas Ellis, who at the time of his death was a member of the British parliament. The bridegroom is named for his uncle, the Rev. David Charles Davies, at one time a prominent Welsh clergyman.
Chicago Daily Tribune, 18 Jul 1928: ... for seven years director of the Field Museum of Natural History ... The funeral was attended by the board of directors of the museum, the curators and the administration and scientific staff.
Poole family in America p.57: educated at the University College of Wales. He came to the United States in 1888, and in 1921 was made director and a trustee of the Field Museum of Natural History. He is a member of the Chicago, University, and Midlothian Country, clubs.
Chicago Daily Tribune, 14 Jul 1954: ... Lake Forest, president of Poole Brothers, Inc., printing firm, was announced as a new member of the board of the University of Chicago ... the 14th former student to become a member of the present board. He was graduated from Yale University in 1930 after transferring from the Midway.
Chicago Daily Tribune, 23 Mar 1959: A prized library of rare books, including one of the world's three privately owned copies of the Gutenberg Bible, has been purchased by Indiana University. The library was assembled by George A. Poole Jr. of Chicago to illustrate the history of printing. Poole is a member of a well known Chicago printing firm. ...
The strength of the Poole library lies in books printed before 1500 from famous presses, and in early manuscripts chosen to depict the influence of medieval handwriting upon the development of printing types. Included among the books are the first three editions of Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales," six rare French books and the Gutenberg Bible.
Poole family in America p.59: He was educated at the Chicago public schools and entered the employ of Poole Bros., Railway Printers, in 1891. He was made vice president in 1903, and president in 1918. He maintains his residence at Chilcago and a summer home near Holland, Michigan, and is a member of the Union League, Chicago Athletic, Flossmoor Country, South Shore Country, and Opera, clubs.
Washington Post, 20 Apr 1940: No previous announcement of their engagement had been made. Only members of the two families and a few close friends were present. The bride, who dispensed with attendants, wore a navy blue tailored suit to which she had pinned a gardenia, and a hat to match. After a honeymoon, the couple will make their home in Washington.
Washington Post, 7 Nov 1946: Smith College Club of Washington is sponsoring a presentation of the internationally famous Jooss Ballet ... Mrs. Theodore Dominick co-chairman on the sale of boxes.
Washington Post, 4 Feb 1948: annual "kick-off" luncheon ... Mrs. Truman as honored guest ... titian haired Mrs. Theodore Dominick, in cocoa brown.
Washington Post, 24 Jun 1948: Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Dominick and their young daughter will leave on Saturday for Chatham, Mass., to spend the summer. They entertained a few close friends at cocktails on Tuesday at their home in Georgetown to say goodby until fall.
Washington Post, 15 Dec 1948: ... National Symphony Orchestra's 19th annual Sustaining Fund drive ... Vice chairmen are ... Mrs. Theodore W. Dominick, 3122 O st. nw
Washington Post, 24 May 1949: The National Symphony Orchestra Women's Committee ... elected new officers. ... Mrs. [Theodore] Dominick, reelected chairman.
Washington Post, 5 Oct 1949: ... opening session of the fall class [of Mrs. Hugh Butler's Public Speaking Classes] ... Mrs. Theodore Dominick, chairman of the recent symphony luncheon, who will talk briefly on "Public Speaking Helps Symphony".
Washington Post, 11 Aug 1950: Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Dominick and their small daughter, Elizabeth, will leave by plane today for Boston for a holiday on Cape Cod. They will spend the weekend at Manchester-by-the-Sea, and then motor to Chatham, on the cape, for several weeks.
Washington Post, 21 Feb 1954: "Meet the League" sessions will be held this week by the D.C. League of Women Voters. ... The second session will be held Thursday, February 23, at 1:15 p.m. in the home of Mrs. Theodore Dominick, 1515 31st st. nw.
Washington Post, 17 Jul 1966: The Georgetown home where Mrs. John F. Kennedy lived after she moved from the White House will be open to the public on the house-art tour to be conducted next Oct. 15 by the Women's Committee of the Corcoran Gallery of Art. ... Mrs. Theodore Dominick is chairman of the tour committee.
9 Nov 1951: The Todd Lincoln house ... The house which has stood at the corner of N and 30th streets for about 160 years, was ... remodeled by architect Theodore Dominick. 7 Dec 1952: The Washington-Metropolitan Chapter of the American Institute of Architects ... Chapter President Theodore W. Dominick.
23 Dec 1952: first meeting of the [Eisenhower] Inaugural Ball subcommittee chairmen ... Theodore W. Dominick 19 Aug 1954: ... Board of 19 to scan rulings on condemnation of houses ... to serve regular three-months terms ... Theodore W. Dominick
3 Jun 1967: The Board of Examiners and Registrars for the District ... Theodore W. Dominick was named to the board ...
Chicago Daily Tribune, 27 Nov 1955: General campaign chairman of the 1956 Fund campaign of the Chicago Red Cross chapter.
Chicago Daily Tribune, 11 May 2001: a graduate of Roycemore School in Evanston, Illinois and Miss Porter's School in Farmington, Connecticut. Mrs. Poole served for many years on the Board of the Visiting Nurse Association of Chicago, including three years as President. She was a member of the Colonial Dames. She was an avid sailor and golfer who together with her late husband George once won the alternate shot Shoreacres Benedict Cup with a gross 72.
Chicago Daily Tribune, 6 Nov 1942: president of the Production Instrument Company, 710 Jackson Boulevard, and vice president of Poole Bros., Inc., 85 West Harrison Street, railway printers ... attended Manual Training school and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Poole family in America p.63: He was educated at Chauncy Hall Preparatory School, Boston, and at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. In 1908 he entered the employ of Poole Bros., Railway Printers, and was made secretary in 1912. He was a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon and the Hamilton and South Shore Country, clubs.
Chicago Daily Tribune, 30 Aug 1942: The buffet at Mountain View [Whitefield NH] on Thursday was attended by many other Chicagoans. Miss Lois Poole, who has been all season at the Mountain View House, had a table for a group of friends.
Return to Rand Descendant Chart.
His chief pleasure aside from his work was growing flowers, and he was widely known in area garden clubs. He was a charter member of the Woodridge Garden Club and Potomac Rose Society. The latter organization awarded him its Gold Medal in 1958 in recognition of his service to the society as director, assistant treasurer, historian and photographer.
1860-61 (Press and Tribune Job Printing Co.) h 999 Wabash av;
1861-62 Dir (Tribune Job Printing Co.) h 999 Wabash av;
1862-63 Dir (Tribune Job Printing Co., 501 Clark) h 999 Wabash av;
1880 pres. Rand McNally & Co., h 224 Lake av, Hyde Park;
1883 pres. & treas. Rand McNally & Co. 148 Monroe, h 3937 Lake av;
Chicago Daily Tribune, 15 Apr 1895: Oakland M.E. Church was profusely decorated yesterday with plants from the greenhouse of William H. Rand, a member.
Chicago Daily Tribune, 22 Jun 1915: Mr. Rand was for many years the head of the printing and publishing house of Rand, McNally & Co., which he founded. His association with the development of the publishing business in Chicago dates bat to 1856. With Whitelaw Reid, Melville E. Stone, Stilson Hutchins, and W.H. Smith he was one of the group that brought to perfection the first practical matrix setting type machine in use.
In  he was one of those who rounded Cape Horn in the gold rush to California. He published the first newspaper in southern California. In Chicago Mr. Rand became part owner of The Chicago Tribune, an interest which he sold shortly after the civil war.
With Andrew McNally, who had been foreman of his printing shop, Mr. Rand established the firm which still bears the name of both of them. After the Chicago fire, in which the entire plant was destroyed, Mr. Rand was among the first business men to be open for business again. In 1894 Mr. Rand retired from business and went to his boyhood home at East Milton, Mass., spending his summers at a place on Martha's Vineyard island.
Chicago Daily Tribune, 9 Oct 1955: [Rand, McNally & Co.] got its start in June, 1856, when William H. Rand, a printer from Boston, set up a printing shop over a book store at what was then 148 Lake St.
Rand was joined in 1858 by Andrew McNally, then 22, who came to work in Rand's shop. The following year the printing business was consolidated with the Chicago Press and Tribune which became The Chicago Tribune on Nov. 1, 1860.
Rand operated the job printing department. When The Tribune was incorporated on Feb. 18, 1861, Rand was head of the mechanical department and owned a one-eighth interest in the paper.
In 1862 McNally became foreman of The Tribune's job printing department and six years later, in May, 1868, the two purchased The Tribune's interest in the job printing operation and formed Rand McNally & Co.
The company had established a reputation as a specialist in railroad printing and began publishing the Rand McNally Railway Guide in 1871. The map making department was established in 1872 to fill the railroads' need for maps to go along with their time tables and literature.
Chicago Daily Tribune, 17 Sep 1951: In 1856 ... a young printer, William H. Rand, newly arrived from his native Massachusetts, opened a small print shop at 148 Lake st., ... By 1852 The Tribune was in a three story brick building at 51 Clark st., where it also conducted a job shop.
Rand, a printer's apprentice in Boston, had joined the California gold rush in 1849. After a year as a prospector and another year as a journeyman printer in San Francisco, he and two companions founded the Los Angeles Star, southern California's first newspaper. But by 1853 Rand was running his own shop in Boston, and three years later he started his Chicago shop.
When The Tribune was preparing in 1868 to move into its new four story brick building at Madison and Dearborn sts., McNally and Rand, together with Rand's nephew, George Amos Poole, bought out the old Tribune job shop and started the partnership known as Rand, McNally & Co.
Rand sold his Tribune interest about 1870. For another 30 years he continued in his own company, then sold out to McNally to join the syndicate that successfully promoted the first machine to cast type from matrices, forerunner of the modern Linotype. Poole broke away in 1879 and with his brother, William H., established the Poole Brothers printing company.
Chicago Daily Tribune, 1 Jan 1956: One of the [Rand McNally & Co.] company's first big jobs was the production of railroad tickets.
Chicago Daily Tribune, 28 Feb 1892: Newsboys and Bootblacks Association of Chicago (popularly known as the "Newsboys' Home) ... William H. Rand, President
Chicago Daily Tribune, 26 Apr 1908: Historical Sketch of the Y.M.C.A: 1858 - Among the first officers and members of the association ... William H. Rand.
1899 - William Rand leaves the company to pursue other interests. Andrew McNally becomes President and his family runs the business for the next century.
1880 - The company begins producing maps and globes for schools, and publishes its first world atlas.
1876 - Rand McNally's Business Atlas debuts, later renamed the Commercial Atlas & Marketing Guide. It is still produced today.
1873 - Rand McNally is incorporated with William Rand as president and Andrew McNally as vice president.
1872 - The first Rand McNally maps are published. Rand McNally uses a new wax engraving method, which significantly reduces the cost of printing maps.
1871 - During the great Chicago Fire, William Rand saves the company by burying two printing machines in the sand!
1869 - The first railroad guide, the Western Railway Guide, is published.
1864 - Andrew McNally and William Rand begin their partnership. Together they took over first the management, and then the ownership, of the Chicago Tribune’s job printing shop to form Rand McNally & Company. The company prints tickets and timetables to serve the railroads of Chicago, which is the nation’s premier railroad hub.
1856 - William Rand opens a small printing shop in Chicago’s Loop, forming the precursor of Rand McNally.
Judge Kavanagh ... ordered that the securities and checks, some of which were indorsed by Rand's father, be surrendered, but the court sustained the finding ... that the money paid voluntarily as interest was lost to the real estate man.
Rand borrowed $4,000 from Maj. Boll in December 1895, paying $43 interest for one week. He found that he could not return the money, and borrowed $957 from Maj. Bell to repay the first loan. Every week, to repay the amount borrowed the preceding week, Mr. Rand was obliged to obtain more money from Maj. Bell, and soon, with the interest accumulating at the rate of $43 a week, ... he was borrowing $4,000 at a time to meet the obligations. In 1898 a new arrangement was entered into by which Rand was to pay $5 a day interest to discount his checks of $1,000 each. The bank he patronized first became aware of the circumstances and asked the withdrawal of his account. This started Rand to figuring and stirred him to action.
... Maj. Bell testified that he had made several other loans under the same terms as that to Rand, and, by properly arranging, he could lend to Rand on Saturday, the check not reaching the bank until Monday, and the lender thus having the use of the money for other purposes during two days.
Day after day, since the opening of the fall term of school, these women have sat in their seats beside the younger pupils. They have carried text books back and forth, and have studied and worked over their courses in their homes. The courses favored by the women are those in free hand drawing, manual training, French, German, and history.
The women, who have undertaken the experiment seriously and with enthusiasm, hope to accomplish two ends:
Women who are pupils: ... Mrs. Charles E. Rand ...
The novel plan had its beginning last spring when Mrs. Frank B. Fuller, ... became interested in the high school because her son soon would enter its doors. ... to Mrs. Rand, a neighbor, she confided that, to learn ow classes were conducted, she intended to visit the school regularly. ...
Their entrance ... differed in no respect from that of the other pupils, although none of them is taking a regular course aiming toward graduation. They are called "specials" simply because of that fact. They attend the regular classes at the scheduled hours, do not sit off by themselves, but mingle with the children and ask no special favors from the teachers. In all respects they are treated as if they had entered under the usual circumstances.
The "grownups" confessed frankly that they object to publicity being given to their actions, and they protested that the subject was not one for "joshing." "If it becomes known that we are sitting with the children and doing just as they do, the alleged humor at our expense will be frightful." Another objection raised in announcing their attendance at school was that if the success of the experiment is made known the New Trier and other high sschools will be overcrowded with women.
Chicago Daily Tribune, 25 Nov 1947: Mrs. Rand had lived in California for 19 years.
City Directories -
New York Times, 18 Mar 1936: She was a member of the Colony Club. 14 Apr 1936: The will of Marion C. Scudder, who died on March 16, was admitted to probate today by Judge Harold L. Knapp. The real estate is estimated at $69,000. The personality exceeds $10,000. The residue of the estate was divided into six parts as follows:
The net income of four parts to Barbara S. Hudson of Washington, daughter, and, at her death, the principal goes to Helen C. Boies of 770 Park Avenue, New York. The income from another part goes to Barbara S. Hudson until she is 35, then she is to receive the principal. Barbara S. Hudson receives another part direct and all personal effects.
Mrs. Hudson Sherman Baldwin and the United States Trust Company of New York are named exectuors and trustees.
[He] was graduated from Yale in 1899 and later pursued postgraduate studies at New York University. While at Yale he was a member of the track team and served on the board of The Record.
After leaving college Mr. Scudder became a certified public accountant and was registered in New Jersey and West Virginia where he lived and carried on business for a time. He early became interested in finance and during the last twenty years was considered one of the leading financial experts in the country.
He became well known throughout the United States for his work with a number of investigating committees in New York, Washington, D.C., and other cities. In 1920 Mr. Scudder was accountant to the Lockwood Legislative Committee in the investigation of the brick trust.
He also aided Charles Evans Hughes in the Armstrong Insurance Investigation and was active in the investigation of traction interests in New York; gas company investments; the Chicago Surface Lines investigation; Mayor Mitchel's investigation of the New York City Board of Education and a number of investigations carried on in Washington in which he served as a financial expert with House and Senate committees.
Mr. Scudder was the head of the investment firm which bears his name and also of the Investors Agency, Inc. He was the editor and owner of the Marvyn Scudder Manual of Extinct or Obsolete Companies and for many years controlled the financial library which bears his name. Several years ago Mr. Scudder presented his financial library to Columbia University.
He was a member of the Yale, University, Accountants, Round Hill Country, Manursing Island and Garrison (Quebec) Clubs. He was also a member of the Society of Colonial Wars and of Company K, Seventh Regiment.
National cyclopaedia of American biography 27:159 - received his preparatory education at Lake Forest Academy and the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn, N.Y., and was graduated B.A. at Yale university in 1899. During his junior and senior years he was editor of the Yale Record.
For three years after leaving Yale he was in the employ of the New York Security & Trust Co., also taking a graduate course in accounting at New York University, from which he received a B.C.S. degree in 1902. He organized and became president and manager of the Investors' Agency, Inc., appraisers of stocks and bonds, in 1903, and conducted that enterprise until his death.
Scudder was also a partner with his brother, Lawrence W. Scudder, in the firm of M. & L. W. Scudder, accountants and auditors, New York City, during 1912-18. He was president of Marvyn Scudder & Co., Inc., accountants and auditors from 1928 until his death.
He won a wide reputation as an accountant and auditor in connection with investigations by congressional committees and by state and municipal boards of inquiry, notably the Armstrong insurance investigation in New York state in 1905-06, the Lockwood committee investigation of the "brick" trust in New York in 1920, and Mayor Mitchel's investigation of the New York city board of education.
He was the editor and owner of the "Marvyn Scudder Manual of Extinct or Obsolete Companies," established in 1926, and was a trustee of the Keystone Materials Co. and the Mines Management Co.
During the last twenty years of his life Scudder was considered one of the leading financial experts of the country. He contributed to various financial magazines and also to Science. In 1923 he donated his library, known as the "Marvyn Scudder financial library," to Columbia university.
During 1900-07 he was a corporal in company K, 7th regiment, N.Y. national guard, and later battalion adjutant in the 12th regiment.
Scudder was a member of the Society of Colonial Wars, the Yale University and Accountants clubs in New York city, and the Presbyterian church. He was fond of outdoor life, golf, fishing, and camping. He was a man of attractive personality and the highest character.
Return to Rand Descendant Chart.
New York Times, 9 Feb 1946: Lieut. Col. David E. Hudson, attached to the legal division of the Allied Control Council in Germany ...
Colonel Hudson was an assistant attorney general and later an administrative officer in the Department of Justice since 1934. He was a member of the peace pilgramage to Europe which Henry Ford organized during the first World War. Upon the entry of the United States into the war he joined the Ambulance Corps and served in Italy.
After the war he completed studies at Harvard Law school and was graduated in 1921. He practiced law in New York for more than twelve years, being associated with the firm of Davis, Polk, Wardwell, Gardiner & Reed.
New York Times, 6 Feb 1957: I am no longer responsible for debts incurred by my wife, Joan B. Groothoff. Ehrhardt Groothoff, 30 Brookside Drive, Greenwich, Conn.
New York Times, 26 May 1979: U.S.A.F., retired, an airport engineer and writer, ... An early advocate of air transportation, Colonel Hanks founded and served as president of American Airports Corporation and was executive director of the Massachusetts Aeronautics Commission.
In 1936 he was awarded a patent for flight strips, a new concept in auxiliary airfields, and was largely responsible for legislation passed by Congress that appropriated @10 million for their construction throughout the country.
In civilian life, Colonel Hanks served in several posts with the Department of State, was associated with the American International Corporation and was president of Stedman Hanks & Company, a consulting concern.
A prolific writer on aviation and foreign policy, Colonel Hanks published a number of books and articles, including "Frontiers Are Not Borders," in 1955, a discourse on the need for a foreign policy based on regional rather than global concerns.
Mr. Chappell called on Mrs. Poole ... shortly after noon yesterday. He left about dinner time. In the meantime Mr. Poole telephoned his wife from his office that he would not be home for dinner, and that he intended to visit a motion picture theatre in the evening. Between 6 and 7 P.M. Mr. Chappell returned. The police said he apparently had had something to drink. As he entered the building he met the apartment house manager, Charles Miller, to whom he displayed a .38-caliber pistol and a permit for its possession. Then he went to the Poole apartment on the second floor.
Mr. Chappell wanted to talk to Mrs. Poole about his private affairs, over which he had been brooding. Mrs. Poole said that she did not wish their 12-year-old daughter, Mary Chappell, or her governess, Miss Mary Murphy, to overhear the conversation. Accordingly, they went into Mrs. Poole's bedroom. Mrs. Poole's daughter, known in the family as Mimi, and the governess were in the nursery.
The governess later told police that she overheard Mr. Chappell threatening to shoot himself and Mrs. Poole pleading with him not to do so. Suddenly there was a shot. Mrs. Poole screamed. The governess ran into the bedroom. Mr. Chappell was slumped over in a chair, the pistol clutched in both hands. Mrs. Poole had fainted.
The governess immediately telephoned the police of the East Sixty-seventh Street Station. After Mrs. Poole was revived, she telephoned her lawyer, Knox Ide, ... Mr. Ide was present during the questioning of Mrs. Poole by the police. ...
An examination of Mr. Chappell's apartment by detectives showed that Mr. Chappell was a collector of firearms and also that he had some connection with a chemical concern known as the Federal Laboratories of Pittsburgh, manufacturers of tear gas. Two years ago, the head of that firm told the Senate Munitions Committee that the textile strike had increased his tear gas business from "5 to 10 percent."
New York Times, 23 Nov 1937: a retired manufacturing chemist formerly associated with the Federal Laboratories of Pittsburgh ... He was graduated from Yale in 1917.
The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Jenkin Lloyd Jones. The bride wore a gown of heavy white satin made with a full sweeping train and slightly open corsage with full sleeves to the elbow. The trimmings were white mousseline de soie and orange flowers. She wore a tulle veil fastened with orange blossoms, and carried a large bouquet of white roses. The bridemaids all wore gowns of soft white mull and carried bouquets of pink flowers.
After the ceremony an informal reception was held and a wedding supper served, about seventy-five relatives and intimate friends being present. Mr. and Mrs. Lee left on a late train for the East, and after a brief wedding journey they will make their home in Boston.
The best articulation has been quickly acquired by a little girl from Boston, Alice Lee, a granddaughter of William H. Rand of Chicago.
When in the play of taking care of the doll baby the teacher said she wanted a mamma to rock the baby to sleep, little Alice unexpectedly flew out of the room, and returning with the picture of her own mamma, danced about in great glee, showing the picture to every one and saying "Mamma" many times over as plainly as any one.
New York Times, 11 Feb 1931: He figured in many important cases during his long legal career. William Travers Jerome, on becoming District Attorney in 1902, chose him as his first assistant. Mr. Jerome created a stir by personally leading raids against gambling houses, and with Colonel Rand's help as trial lawyer, things started to happen in the courts. Previously Colonel Rand had served two years as Assistant Corporation Counsel.
Resigning as Assistant District Attorney in 1906, Colonel Rand was in private practice for a year or two. Then the firm of Rand, Moffat & Webb was formed. This connection ceased in 1910, when Mr. Jerome's second term as District Attorney ended, and he and Mr. Rand formed a law partnership which became one of the most prominent in the city. Isidor Kresel, who was also an Assistant District Attorney under Mr. Jerome, later joined the firm, which became known as Jerome, Rand & Kresel. In 1929 it was dissolved, Mr. Kresel having left it a few years earlier.
In 1921 Colonel Rand and Mr. Kresel served for several months as Special Assistant United States Attorney Generals in a nation-wide investigation of the building trades.
Colonel Rand and Mr. Jerome were associates almost constantly for twenty-seven years. Like other men who served under the "fighting District Attorney," Colonel Rand made himslef pre-eminent as a trial lawyer. Among the famous cases in which he took part in the last few years before his retirement from practice was the conspiracy trial in the Federal district court of Harry M. Daugherty, former Attorney General of the United States, and Colonel Thomas W. Miller, former Allen Property Custodian, in which he defended Colonel Miller.
The title of Colonel Rand came to him in the World War as Judge Advocate under General Kreger at Chaumont, France, where General Pershing had his headquarters. He was Judge Advocate from April, 1918, to the end of the war. He received the Distinguished Service Medal for his war services.
After attending private schools in Switzerland and Germany, he was graduated from Phillips Exeter Academy in 1884, Harvard University in 1888 and the Harvard Law School in 1891. He began to practice here the year he left the law school, obtaining a position with the firm of Hoadley, Lauterbach & Johnson. The Colonel was a member of the New York City Bar Association and the Sons of the Revolution. His clubs included the Harvard, University, Downtown, Apawamis and Century.
New York Times, 13 Feb 1931: Funeral services ... were held yesterday afternoon in St. George's Church, Sixteenth Street and Stuyvesant Square. ... The Rev. Dr. Karl Reiland, rector of St. George's, conducted the services, which were participated in by the full choir and attended by more than 300 persons, many of them prominent. As a tribute to the career of Colonel Rand, the choir sang the hymn, "Onward Christian Soldiers."
New York Times, 13 Mar 1931: A trust fund of $5,000 for the trustees of Phillips Exeter Academy at Exeter, N.H., to be used for prizes for excellence in Latin composition, in honor of Robert F. Pennell, "a great teacher of Latin," is provided in the will of Colonel William Rand, ... The value of the estate was placed at "over $100,000." Trust funds of $100,000 were left to each of the sons, ...
New York Times, 18 Aug 1935: Sales of small estates ... The home of the late Colonel William Rand ... has been sold ... The estate consists of six and one-half acres fronting on Forest Avenue and Manursing Way, in Rye. Improvements in addition to the main residence include a cottage, squash court and garage.
New York Times, 23 Jun 1925: a graduate of Harvard, class of '17. He is a member of the Apawamis Club and the Racquet and Tennis Club of this city. Mr. Rand is the well-known squash tennis player.
New York Times, 4 May 1965: a member of the New York Stock Exchange from 1933 to 1945 and a former tennis champion ... Mr. Rand was court tennis national doubles champion with Ogden Phipps from 1934 to 1939, and national amateur squash tennis champion in 1925.
He was associated with Edwards & Hanly, stockbrokers. He had been a partner in Burr, Gannett & Co., and Newman, Baum, Rand & Hollander, both brokerage houses. He graduated from Harvard in 1917, and from Harvard Law School in 1920. Mr. Rand was a member of the Piping Rock Club and a former member of the New York Racquet and Tennis Club.
Sample of articles in the New York Times, related to the tennis careers of brothers William and Robert Rand:
Squash Tennis by Richard C. Squires EText-No. 11550 p.11-12: Private courts were built on estates owned by such millionaires as William C. Whitney and J. P. Morgan. The famous Tuxedo Club, Tuxedo Park, New York, installed the first formal Club court in 1898. By 1905, the Racquet and Tennis Club, Harvard, Princeton, and Columbia Clubs in Manhattan had courts, as did Brooklyn's Crescent A. C. and the Heights Casino.
The halcyon days of Squash Tennis were the 1920s and 1930s. Such names as Fillmore Van S. Hyde, Rowland B. Haines, Thomas R. Coward, William Rand, Jr., and R. Earl Fink dominated the amateur ranks during the Golden Twenties.
New York Times, 5 Mar 1926: Although no formal announcement has been made, it became known today that the engagement of Miss Ruth Thayer ... to Robert C. Rand ... has been broken off by Miss Thayer. ... The news of the breaking of the engagement follows a recent visit of Mr. Rand to Boston. ... When asked about the breaking of the engagement last night, Mr. Rand said that all information would have to come from Miss Thayer.
New York Times, 1 Aug 1929: ... the announcement that the old partnership of Jerome & Rand had been dissolved and the firm's offices and business taken over by a group now known as Tibbetts, Lewis & Rand. ... William Rand, who is withdrawing from general practice, will retain his office. The new partnership includes Harland B. Tibbetts, George F. Lewis and Robert C. Rand ...
New York Times, 29 Oct 1931: A committee of persons well known in theatrical, literary and artistic life has been formed by the new Group Theatre to act in an advisory capacity under the name of the Group Associates. ... Robert C. Rand is announced as legal advisor.
New York Times, 2 Feb 1935: Corporation Counsel Paul Indels announced yesterday the appointment of Robert C. Rand as one of his assistants. By a coincidence, Mr. Rand's father ... was named an assistant corporation counsel exactly forty years ago. Mr. Rand was graduated from the Harvard Law School, where he was editor of The Law Review, in 1921. He has been a member of the law firm of Tibbetts, Lewis, Lazo & Rand and its predecessor, the firm of Jerome & Rand.
New York Times, 15 Apr 1935: graduated from Harvard in 1919, was appointed an assistant corporation counsel on Feb. 1 of this year.
New York Times, 30 Jun 1937: Mr. Rand, who is serving New York as Assistant and Acting Corporation Counsel, was graduated from Harvard in 1919 and served overseas with the navy during the World War.
New York Times, 23 Jan 1940: Robert C. Rand has been elected a director of the Brown Rubber Company ... a member of the New York law firm of Rand, French & Carpenter.
New York Times, 21 Jul 1949: a representative of the United States on the international copyright committee of the United Nations' Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organizations, and a well-known New York attorney ... graduated from St. Mark's School and Harvard College and in 1921 from the Harvard Law School.
After serving in the United States Navy during the first World War, Mr. Rand went into practice in New York with the firms of Jerome & Rand, and Rand, French & Carpenter. He was an unsuccessful Democratic candidate for the State Assembly in 1925 and ten years later emulated his father by being appointed assistant Corporation Counsel of New York.
During the second World War Mr. Rand served with the State Department and as regional counsel to the War Production Board. He was active in the World Federalists Movement and attended its international conference in Luxembourg last year, serving on its constitutional committee.
Mr. Rand was a strong defender of the U.N. and in 1948 wrote to the New York Times inquiring whether the great powers had not already lost faith in the organization. He criticized the fact that the U.N.'s budget then was limited to $23,700,000, pointing out that the budget of New York's Department of Sanitation alone was $33,000,000.
At one time, Mr. Rand was a director of the Brown Rubber Company. He was a member of the Harvard, Knickerbocker, Piping Rock and Racquet and Tennis Clubs. In his youth he had been a national scholastic indoor doubles tennis champion.
See his brother's record for a sample of articles from the New York Times, related to the tennis careers of brothers William and Robert Rand:
New York Times, 22 Feb 1942: A staff of fifty women volunteers headed by Mrs. Robert C. Rand, completed yesterday the mailing of more than 20,000 invitations to attend the Navy League-Norway war relief benefit ice carnival on March 3 at the Center Theatre.
New York Times, 3 Mar 1942: Glen Head, L.I., March 2 - Fire, discovered early today in the French Colonial home of Mr. and Mrs. Robert C. Rand in the Pound Hollow colony, caused $50,000 damage and almost destroyed the building. Mr. and Mrs. Rand, who were at their town house, 125 East Sixty-first Street, motored to the fire while it was still blazing. The house was closed for the season and a caretaker, who did not sleep in, was in charge.
According to detectives of the arson squad, Nassau County police and firemen of the Glenwood Fire Department, who fought the blaze, the fire was the work of marauders who broke in and had a party in the drawing room before the fireplace and who either deliberately set the blaze or left the fire in such shape that it sparked out on the rugs. ...
The house ... was furnished with English antiques brought to this country by Mrs. Rand before the war. Chests of fine French and Italian linens and many objects of art were destroyed.
New York Times, 4 Apr 1964: A director of the Federation of French Alliances and a member of the Women's Coucil of the New York Public Library, Mrs. Rand also belonged to the Junior Fortnightly and Colony Clubs. Her collection of Louisiana folk songs was published as "Bayou Ballads." [Bayou Ballads, Twelve Folk Songs from Louisiana, Mina Monroe, G. Schimer Inc., New York, 1921]
Chicago Daily Tribune, 18 May 1922: Mrs. Charles E. Springer of 1364 East 49th Street has left for the east, where she will visit relatives in New York and Rye until she goes to Poughkeepsie to attend the graduation exercises at Simmons college on June 12. Miss Katherine Springer is a member of the graduating class.
Chicago Daily Tribune, 20 Feb 1944:
Brave little bud, it sought security,
So confident it was, an inner grace
Chicago Daily Tribune, 30 Dec 1893: An exciting affair occurred yesterday morning at 2 o’clock in the vicinity of Indiana avenue and Thirty-sixth street. The participants were a prosperous real estate agent and three police officers. Bullets whizzed through the air and a patrol wagon was whirled to the scene.
Charles A. Springer left Bournique’s dance hall at the hour named and started afoot and alone to his home at No. 3819 Prairie avenue. At Indiana avenue and Thirty-sixth street there is an extensive plat of vacant ground. As he approached the corner Mr. Springer observed two colored men coming across the open space as if to reach the walk at a point where they would enocunter him.
Visions of footpads, cutthroats, and highway robbers were in his mind and he took out a gun. He also walked off at an angle in order to avoid meeting the suspicious-looking pair. This is the way he tells the story:
The prisoner was hurried down to the Thirty-fifth Street Police Station and put into a cell. Rivers preferred and had three charges booked against him - carrying concealed weapons, shooting within the city limits, and shooting with intent to kill. But the young man did not remain in jail long. He sent for Oliver Sollitt, who bailed him out.
When explanations were made to the court yesterday morning he was fined $5 for carrying concealed weapons. The other two charges were dismissed. Mitchell is the officer who was with Rivers. They were in citizens’ clothes and their actions in cutting across lots to head him off left no doubt in the mind of the young man that they were hgihwaymen bent on holding him up.
Mr. Springer is 22 years old, but large in build and an athlete. ...
Chicago Daily Tribune, 25 May 1914: Citizen Outlines Saloon Reform - The new proposition is to regulate the wineroom by local option. Charles E. Springer of 3804 Calumet Avenue evolved the idea after having made an unsuccessful fight on a wineroom in his block. ...
Chicago Daily Tribune, 27 Apr 1922: Charles E. Springer charges in letter that school board paid $95,000 for school site he offered to it for $65,000.
Chicago Daily Tribune, 14 Sep 1922: Coincident with the appointment ... of a special prosecutor growing out of the indictment of school trustees and others charged with defrauding the school board of huge sums, State's Attorney Crowe announced trials would follow as soon as the grand jury completes its investigation. It was predicted that many indictments of persons not yet named will be voted and that the investigation will take a new course following the testimony today of Assistant State's Attorney Ernest S. Hodges. It was Mr. Hodges who first conducted the school board quiz commencing with the charge of Charles E. Springer that $30,000 found its way into the pockets of politicians through the sale of his property to the board of education.
Chicago Daily Tribune, 16 May 1923: "Bunk" is the single unlovely word which Charles E. Springer threw yesterday at the locked doors in the Sherman hotel where Springer heirs apparent discussed with bated breath and in fear of spies their plans to snatch $500,000,000 worth of real estate from under the feet of Wilmington, Del., capitalists.
An heir himself, and the south side real estate man whose disclosures started the whole school board "scandal," Mr. Springer has consistently refused to follow the lead of his relatives. If he is going to gamble, he declares, he prefers the races to this alleged flame of undreamt millions which has drawn so many moths.
For the appeal of $10 down - the price of a membership in the Springer Heirs, Inc. - with a chance at the fortune of a Monte Cristo, has proved too much of a temptation to nearly 3,000 heirs throughout the country. ... I've told them to their faces it is a scheme for a lot of genealogists to make money by selling family trees to hopeful Springers at $7 a tree. ...
Sinclair was born in Grand Haven, Michigan, in 1890. His father, a boat builder, came from Glasgow, Scotland, to work in the Great Lakes region. In 1896, the family moved to South Chicago. In 1910, after completing high school, he spent five years at the School of The Art Institute of Chicago. In his second year, he received The Art Institute's highest award, the John Quincy Adams Traveling Scholarship, which along with other awards enabled him to continue art studies. ...
World War I in 1917. Immediately, Sinclair enlisted in the American Ambulance Corps and was sent to northern Italy, near Venice, where he and his fellow officers transported wounded soldiers from the battlefront. ...
During the First World War he served in the Army Ambulance Corps in northern Italy and Austria, and images from this period were to appear in a series of paintings he was to execute from the 1930s onwards.
Returning to America in 1920 Sinclair became one of the original faculty members of the Layton School of Art in Milwaukee, a position he was to retain until 1954. During this period he traveled widely throughout the country with his family, taught at Saugatuck, Michigan, and studied at Provincetown, MA.
In 1929-30 he spent a year in Paris, and exhibited there at the Salon d'Automne and the Salon Printmeps. He was a regular exhibitor at the Pennsylvania Acadaemy of Fine Arts annual exhibitions during the 1920s and '30s, and he also exhibited at the Corcoran Gallery Biennials during the same period, as well as at the Carnegie Institute in Pittsburgh, and the Art Instiute of Chicago. ... died in 1955.
Sinclair remarked that his work derives from "a keen liking for the out of doors and the constant and varied effects due to changes of light." He also noted that he seldom painted on the spot but preferred to work from memory or notes, "I prefer to construct a picture rather than copy an effect."