HISTORY OF HOCKING VALLEY
A. S. Crippen was born March 4, 1810, in Rome Township, Athens Co., Ohio, and has always made this his home. When a young man he followed flat-boating on the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, and has visited Memphis when there were but two stores there. For forty years he ran the Crippen grist and saw mill on the Hocking River, two miles east of Stewart, but gave up milling in 1871 and now lives a more retired life on his farm, where he has 238 1/2 acres of fine land. he was married in 1836 to Thoedocia Frost, a native of Rome Township, born in 1814. She died in June, 1875, leaving three children---Adaline, born Dec. 25, 1836; Mary, born in January, 1841, and Charles, born March 16, 1843. Their eldest daughter, Adaline, married Laughlin Devine, a native of Pennsylvania, born Oct. 21, 1828. They have one son---Owen Crippen, born Oct. 9, 1881. Mary married Peter Finsterwald. Mr. Crippen has never belonged to a church or society of any kind. Mrs. Crippen's mother, Keziah Frost, was a native of New York, born in 1796, and came to Ohio with her parents in 1800. Her father, Elijah Hatch, was a Representative of the Northwestern Territory, now Washington, Athens and a part of Vinton coun- ties, thirteen terms.
James Morrison was born in Washington County, Pa., Oct. 11, 1840. He was a resident of Guernsey County, Ohio, a few years, and has lived in Athens County about twenty-five years. March 17, 1869, he married Julia Dewese, a native of Athens County, born March 22, 1847. She died June 2, 1873, leaving one son--- Seth Clarence, born April 7, 1871. Jan. 2, 1878, Mr. Morrison married Mrs. Jane Johnson, widow of Calvin Johnson. They have three children---Jessie May, Lon T. and William. Mrs. Morrison also has four children by her first marriage---Cynthia, Nancy, Maggie and Callie. Mr. Morriason enlisted in the late war in Company H. One Hundred and Eighty-sixth Ohio Infantry and served till the close of the war. He owns 130 acres of good land on section 36, Rome Township, and is engaged in general farming and stock raising.
Waterman L. Petty was born in Rome Township, Athens Co., Ohio, Nov. 14, 1841. His father, Willis Perry, was born in Prince William County, Va., in 1804, and came to Ohio in 1831. He died in Rome Township in 1876. His mother, Abigail (John- son) Petty, was born in New Hampshire in 1812, and came to Ohio in 1834. She is still a resident of the county. There was a family of nine children---Willard, Teresa, Sallie Ann, Samantha, Waterman, Loran, Lawrence, Lydia and Edward. Mr. Perry en- listed in Company A, Ninety-second Ohio Infantry, and served three years; was in the battles of Hoover's Gap and Chickamauga. He was captured at Chickamauga, Sept. 20, 1863; was in Libby Prison six weeks, Danville five months, and Andersonville twelve months, and was only released at the final surrender of the rebels. He was mustered out June 25, 1865. At the time of his capture his weight was 145 pounds, and when released was only ninety- four pounds. Oct. 12, 1868, Mr. Perry married Lizzie McDaniel, a native of Grafton, Va., born Nov. 7, 1841. They have three children---Emma Maud, born Nov. 5, 1871; Myrtle, born March 8, 1874, and Ulysses, born Nov. 3, 1876.
Harvey J. Smith established his present place of business in Stewart in 1880. He has a good stock of watches, clocks jewelry, and general merchandise. He was born May 3, 1849, in Plymouth, Washington Co., Ohio, where he was educated and lived till 1873, when he went to Colton, Ohio. He remained there till 1879, en- gaged in the mercantile business. He was married Oct. 1, 1873, to Leonora Jarvis, a native of Athens, born in 1852. They have two children---Leonard H., born in June, 1875, and Daisy V., born in November, 1879. Mr. Smith is now serving his second term as Township Treasurer. His father, Harvey Smith, was a native of New York, and came to Ohio about sixty years ago. He died in 1877. His mother, Eliza (Dixon) Smith, was born in Pennsyl- vania about 1809. She is now living in Athens. There was a fam- ily of nine children, six now living---Columbus C., L. D., Adaliza, Lucina, C. D. and Harvey J. John M. Spaulding was born in Vermont, Oct. 7, 1818, and came to Athens County, Ohio, in 1843. He was married Aug. 12, 1852, to Nancy M. Fulton, a native of Amesville, Ohio, born April 10, 1825. Six children have been born to them, only three now living---Addie M., born Nov. 21, 1857; Louie A., Dec. 30, 1859, and Eli A., Feb. 10, 1863. Both daughters are teaching school. The son is a farmer and inventor. March 6, 1883, he obtained a patent for his Duplex Hand Seed Planter, a machine for planting and depositing the fertilizer at the same time. When only ten years of age he made a wooden sewing-machine about five or six inches square. It was entirely of wood except the needle, which was a common sewing needle turned upside down, and sewed nicely, making a chain stitch. Mr. and Mrs. Spaulding and their daughters are members of the Presbyterian church. Mrs.Spauld- ing's brother, Robert A. Fulton, was born in Hartford, Conn., Feb. 13, 1808. He was Lieutenant-Colonel of the Fifty-third Ohio In- fantry. While on a march one dark stormy night, his horse fell down an embankment, and Mr. Fulton received a wound from his sword which finally caused his death, July 23, 1874. His regiment presented him with a fine sword which cost $500. Samuel Stalder was born in Athens County, Ohio, Aug. 30, 1842. He has always been a farmer, and for the past eighteen years has dealt extensively in live stock. He owns a good farm of eighty acres on sections 25 and 26, his residence being on section 25. He was married March 22, 1866, to Samantha Hammond, a native of Athens County, born in 1845. They have had two
children only one now living---Nettie A., born March 12, 1867. Her- bert was born Oct. 11, 1870, and died Nov. 16, 1875. Mr. Stalder is a member of Savannah Lodge. No. 466, A. F. & A. M. His parents, Nicholas and Barbara Stalder, were natives of Switzerland, and came to America when they were children. They were mar- ried about 1838, and had a family of twelve children, only six now living---Henry, Samuel, Philena, Helena, Ida and Augusta. D.B. Stewart, Jr., miller, was born in Stewart, Rome Town- ship, Athens Co., Ohio, Oct. 2, 1859. He lived here nine years, then moved with his parents to Athens, remaining there about twelve years when he went to Colorado, in 1880, where he remained until July, 1882. He then returned to Athens and thence came to Stewart, where he is now engaged in running the flouring mill known as Byron's mill, and is doing a good business. His father D. B. Stewart, now living in Athens, was the founder of the town of Stewart. His mother, Sarah (Carter) Stewart, died in Athens eight or nine years ago. Our subject is the only son now living. He has five sisters---Matilda, now Mrs. D. M. Birch- field; Ruth S., who married C. Byron, deceased; Julia, now Mrs. J. M. Case, and Frank, now Mrs. S. B. Pickering. Our subject bids fair to be, as was his father, one of Stewart's best business men. Mrs. Mary (Kooser) Tedrow was born in Somerset County, Penn., Sept. 3, 1800. Sept. 5, 1820, she married Jacob Tedrow, also a native of Somerset County, born June 7, 1792. They came to Ohio in 1836 and settled near where Mrs. Tedrow now resides. They had a family of eleven children, nine now living---Drusilla, born Sept. 30, 1822, now the widow of George Wyatt; Harriet, born Feb. 2, 1826, now the widow of J. McHorten; Noah, born Feb. 1, 1828; Rebecca, born Dec. 2. 1829, now Mrs. James Rob- ertson; Jane, born Dec. 3, 1832, now Mrs. Samuel Copeland; Oli- ver, born Sept. 16, 1836; Mary Ann, born Feb. 2, 1838; Effie, born Feb. 1, 1841, now the widow of Henry Norris, and Charles, born July 3, 1844. Mrs. Tedrow has 166 acres of fine land on section 35, Rome Township. She and her daughter Mary are members of the Presbyterian church at New England. Mr. Tedrow died July 1, 1873. Noah Tedrow, born in Somerset County, Penn., Feb. 1, 1828, is the second child of Jacob and Mary (Kooser) Tedrow. He came to Ohio with his parents in 1837, and, with the exception of six months spent in Muskingum County, has since that time resided in Athens County. He was married Oct. 7, 1855, to Nancy Yazer, a
native of Greene County, Penn., born Feb. 2, 1830. They have three children---Sarah, born Dec. 19, 1857, now Mrs. G. W. Par- ker; Mary, born March 16, 1862, and George, born Dec. 5, 1868. Mr. Tedrow has 700 acres of fine land in Rome Township his resi- dence being on section 35. He makes a specialty of stock-raising. Mr. and Mrs. Tedrow and their daughters are members of the Presbyterian church. C. G. Tucker was born in Athens County, Ohio, Dec. 1, 1847. He was married April 19, 1879, to Margaret A. Jackson, a native of Athens County, born in 1851. They have two children---Jessie M., born Jan. 25, 1880, and Charles Guy, born Dec. 2 1882. Mr. Tucker has been Constable of Rome Township twelve or fifteen years, and Township Assessor seven years. He has sixty-five acres of land where he resides, on fraction 24, and an interest in other land in this county, and also owns land in Iowa. He is now dealing in sewing-machines, and is special collector for Southern Ohio. Mrs. Tucker is a member of the Methodist church. Mr. Tucker's father. Nathan Tucker, was born in Maryland in 1814, and is now living on fraction 33, Rome Township. His mother Barbara A. Tucker, was born in Somerset County, Penn., in 1805. She first married Joseph Tedrow. He died in 1833, leaving six children---Henry, Silas, Aaron, Joseph, Freeman and Susan Aaron died in 1865. Freeman is a resident of Ohio; the others are living in Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Nathan Tucker are members of the Methodist church. Nehemiah O. Warren was born Sept. 22, 1799, in Connecticut, and when twenty-one years of age went to Hudson, N. Y., where he was engaged in the live-stock business about five years. He then came to Athens County, Ohio, and located in Canaan Town- ship, remaining there till 1871, engaged in various kinds of busi- ness. He established his first dry-goods store in 1840, in Guys- ville, and afterward started a store in Stewart. In 1871 he came to Rome Township, and now lives on a fine farm of 450 acres. In 1879 he discontinued his commercial career, and is now settling up his business with a view to living a more retired life. Mr. Warren claims to have bought and sold more horses than any other man in the county, and has probably borrowed more money and paid more interest than any other man. He at one tune owned over 1,600 acres of land. He was married April 19, 1818, to Hannah Deway, a native of Connecticut, born June 27, 1800. They had a family of nine children, five now living---Jane, born
Feb. 2, 1819; Hannah, March 12, 1821; Levinda, April 16, 1831; Elizabeth, Sept. 14, 1833; Joseph W., July 30, 1838. Mrs.War- ren died Jan. 31, 1866. Mr. Warren has been four times married. He was married the last time to Mary Frost, May 31, 1874. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Harvey Wright, carpenter and contractor, was born in Ames Township, Athens Co., Ohio, May 10, 1836. At the age of twelve he went to Washington County, Ohio, and remained eight years. At the expiration of that time he came to New England and lived two years, then went to Sugar Creek, Athens County, where he lived four years. In 1862 he again moved to New Eng- land where he has since remained, building railroad bridges and working at the carpenter's trade. He married, Dec. 6, 1861, Susan Smith who was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, Dec. 6, 1835. They are the parents of three children---Minnie M., born Nov. 6, 1864; Perley S., Jan. 4, 1868; William H., March 5, 1872. Mr. and Mrs. Wright are members of the Presbyterian church. Henry Wright, the father of Harvey, was born in New York in 1803, and died in 1867. His mother, Louisa (Otis) Wright, was born in New York in 1804, and is still living in Athens County, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Henry Wright had a family of fifteen children, seven living---John N., Simeon M., Henry H., Harvey, Sophia, Electa and James O. Thomas Smith, Mrs. Harvey Wright's father, was born in Pennsylvania, in October, 1809, and died in 1879. Her mother, Sarah (Draper) Smith, was born in Pennsylvania in 1809, and is still living. Mr. and Mrs. Smith have had seven children, six living---Julia A., Thomas D., Susan D., Celisa, Mary C. and Louisa B.