Frelsburg - The community was founded in 1837 by Captain William Frels who immigrated to Texas in 1834. He came from Germany on the ship "Congress" and participated in the storming of the Alamo in 1835. Captain Frels donated land for a town site, school, Protestant Church, parsonage and cemetery.
St. Peter and Paul Catholic Church was established in 1847. It has the distinction of being one of the oldest parishes in the state. Known as a painted church with great artistic beauty, the parish is located in the midst of rolling hills.