Search billions of records on


[NI0010] (Albert) Garnet Truax was one of a group of 31 Burnsites (followers of Nelson Burns - see Albert Truax) and their families who set out from Toronto in 1909 to settle at the foot of the Rocies in Beaverlodge, Alberta. After a 3 or 4 day journey by train, the group gathered supplies, wagons, and 36 oxen at Edmonton, which inspired the locals to dub them "The Bull Outfit". They set off north and west, across the top of Lesser Slave Lake, up to the Peace River Crossing, then south again to Grand Prairie and finally to their land on the shores of the Beaver Lodge River. The journey took a total of 3 months.
Garnet later moved to Vancouver to work as a longshoreman, but some of his children stayed, and many of their descendants still live in the Beaverlodge / Grand Prairie area. Garnet was my great-uncle.

[NI0013] Ref: "Hudson and Mohawk Valleys", P. 272 - Truax - The patronymic De Trieux or Du Trieu is probably derived from the Village of Trieu (in southern Belgium). It is from De Trieux that the names Du Trieu, De Truy, Truax, etc. have been evolved. Individuals bearing the original form of the name abound in the Walloon Church Registers of Holland as early as 1584, wandering from city to city and from country to country, evidently in search of business employment. Anciently the Walloons were the race who inhabited parts of France, the Alps and the Danubian Valley. They eagerly embraced the Reformation, which was eventually crushed out by Charles V and Philip II, and hundreds of thousands of the Walloons sought refuge in neighboring countries, one hundred thousand exiled families settled in Holland. The Netherlands historian, Asher, declares that the whole greatness of Holland sprang from her hospitality to these exiled Walloon families.

Philippe was a dyer from Robey (Robaix) which was located in North France (Flanders in Philippe's day) and well-known for its dye works. It is not known who Philippe's parents were. An entry in the record of the Walloon Church at Leyden, Holladn says:

"April 22, 1601. Jacquemyne, widow of Philippe Du Trieu, received into Church of Leyden, by letter from Norwich, England"

It is suspected by some that this Jaquemyne and her deceased husband, Philippe Du Trieu, were the parents of Philippe Du Trieux who emigrated to New Netherland in 1624. However, no proof has surfaced yet to substantiate this theory. To support this theory, some suggest that the death of his mother was what prompted Philippe to move to Leyden from Amsterdam in 1617.

The deceased husband mentioned in the Leyden Church record seems to have come from Norwich, England. A colony of Flemish weavers had introduced the manufacture of woolens at Worsted, England which is about 13 miles from Norwich. This suggests that it is possible this suspected father of Philippe
was a worsted worker. It is further theorized that upon his death, his widow returned to the continent and her presence in Leyden may have brought her son there to live with her.

Ref: "The House of Truax" - Descendants of Philippe du Trieux, 1586-1653, edited by Howard S.F. Randolph from a manuscript by T. de Truax in the possession of the New York Genealogical and biographical Society, P. 336: Quote: "The date that Philippe du Trieux and his wife, Jacquemine Noiret became members of the church at Leydon is given as August 15, 1617, instead of October 1617, as given on P.209 in the NY Gen. & Biog. Record, Vol. LVII.

The important act of betrothal of July 17, 1621, settles for all time any controversy as to whether there were two different people by the name of Philippe du Trieux, as he is definitely mentioned as the widower of Jacquemyne Noiret, about to marry Susanna du Chesne. Her age is given as twenty years, so she was born about 1601. His age is given as thirty-four years so he was born about 1587." Unquote.
(perhaps both mother and daughter-in-law had the same first name?)

In any event, Phillipe did not stay long in Leyden. He was received into the Church at Leyden in October 1617 and by December 31, 1617 he was being received into the church at Amsterdam with a letter from Leyden. However, he was in Leyden long enough to come into contact with the future Pilgrims and surely the idea of emigrating to the New World was presented in a favorably light to him there. Philippe is thought to have returned to Leyden since it was the Leyden Church which granted him and his family letters of attestations on March 9, 1624 (as "pour Westinde" which meant he intended to go west) to present to his new church at his destination. Two and a half weeks after Philippe and his family received letters from their church (March 28, 1624), the colonists were to go to New Netherland met and were given instructions from the Van Rappard document (now in the Huntington Library in California). It is not known if Philippe and his family were among these. No passenger list of the voyage of "The New Netherland" is known to have survived but it is generally accepted that Philippe Du Trieux and his family were on board among the 30 families which were mostly Walloons.

The Captain of "The New Netherland" (Nieu Nederlandt) was Cornelis Jacobz May of Hoorn. They sailed in the beginning of March and went by the Canary Islands, steered toward the west coast where they gained a west wind which took them to the river called Rio De Montaagnes (River Mauretius). The ship sailed up to the Maykens 44 leagues. They built a fort named "Orange" which had 4 bastions on an island they called Castle Island. Wiley believes that all of the Walloons of the company settled on Long Island at Waal-Bogt (Wallon's Bay) which is now Wallabout. However, there is no definite account of the disposition of these families.

More people came in 1625 bringing tools and livestock. In May 1626 another band of colonists arrived along with Peter Minuit who had been given the power to be Governor and organize a government. He built Fort Amsterdam on the southernmost point of the island and bought the whole island of Manhattan from the Indians for about 60 guilders (or what is commonly accepted these days as being about $24.00).

Philippe was in New Amsterdam during Minuit's Administration (1624-1629). When he first came to New Amsterdam he built a house on Bever Craft (Beaver Street). This was one of the first (if not the first) house to be built on Bever Craft. He was appointed Court Messenger in 1638 by Governor Kieft (who became Governor in March 1638). The salary for the Court Messenger (or Marshall) was "two thirds as large as was received by the Magistrate". In 1640 he received a patent for land in Smits Vly (or Valley), although it is known that this parcel of land was in his possession as early as 1638. The land adjoined Secretary Van Tienhoven's farm and occupied partly by Fulton Market in later years. A map of New Amsterdam as it was in about 1644 shows a large tract of land on the east side of the island marked "land of Philip de Truye". It is assumed that Philippe was living on this land at Smith's Valley because of a contract he made with Claes Groen and Pieter Lievesen to graze their goats for a year at the cost of one guilder per year per goat. This contract was entered upon the Register of the Secretary of the Council. Philippe leased or contracted to sell this house to Nicholas Stilwel. In 1649 the records show Nicolas Stilwel promising to furnish Henry Bresar with palisades enough to fence the premises along the River Road and within two years to furnish enough to fence the other sides of th land. In consideration for which Bresar acknowledges that he "has taken off the hands of Nicolaes Stillwell the land and dwelling housein question". Bresar seems to have remained in possession of the place until 1653 when he built a new house a short distance beyond the ferry on some land which he had acquired ther and the former dwelling house of Philip De Truy, after one or two intermediate changes, was bought in August 1654 by Thomas Hall.

According to the Truax Family Group Record, Philippe and his second son, Philippe (born in 1619) were killed by Indians on 8 Sep 1653.

Philippe Du Trieux was murdered by Indians as was his son Philippe before September 8, 1653. Some believe that Indians were not the guilty parties. Philippe's exact date of death is not known. The records show that on September 8, 1653 "Carel Van Brugge, Pltf. vs. Isaac D'Foreest, Deft. as Vendue-Master of the personal estate of Pieter Cornelisen, mill-wright, demands payment of fl. 59.8 for goods purchased at public vendu. Deft. acknowledges having purchased the goods, but says, in the name of Philip D'Truy's widow, that her son Philip (who was also murdered) had earned fl.100 monthly wages of Pieter Cornelisen deceased, which are still due him. Deft. is ordered to prove at the next court day his demand against the State of the above-named Pieter Cornelisen deceased." On October 23, 1654, Susanna De Scheve, widow of Phillippe De Truwe, late Court Messenger at New Amsterdam, confers power of attorney upon her son-in-law Isaac De___.

Philippe could have been dead as early as March 16, 1651 when a certified copy of a note of Alexander Boyer was made in favor of Susanna Du Truy. It is doubtful that she would have had to conduct this business if her husband had still been living.

The Du Trieux surname has been corrupted to Truax, Truex, De Truye among other spellings in the records.

From: The Calendar of Dutch Manuscripts, edited by E.B. O'Callaghan

26 Jul 1638 Return of Philip De Truy, Court Messenger, to a summons on Gillis Pietersen.
26 Aug 1638 Symon Dircksen Pos vs. Philip De Truy, action of debt.
2 Sep 1638 Same. Claim on defendant delivering to plaintiff all the fish in his house.
4 Oct 1638 Philip De Truy and Wolphert Gerritsen (Declaration), respecting language of Anthony Jansen of Salee, when asked to pay money to the Rev. Mr Bogardus (quoted above).
15 Mar 1639 Declaration.. Jacob Stoffelsen and others that Grietje Reyniers called Philip DeTruy a liar, and that they called each other several bad names.
15 Mar 1639 Declaration. Jacob Stoffelsen and others that Anthony Jansen called Philip bDe Truy a villain.

[NI0015] Maria Truax was the daughter of Philippe du Trieux (de Truy) and his first wife Jacquemyne Noirett. She was baptized in Leyden, Holland, on 5 April 1617, and emigrated with her family to New Amsterdam in 1624. She married firstly Cornelis Volckertsen Viele, possibly before 1640, and definitely by January 1642, when the following adoption paper mentions her husband. This paper constitutes an acknowledgment of the paternity of her daughter Aeltjem, by Pieter Wolphersen van Couwenhoven.

Acknowledgement of paternity of Maria
Truax's child by a man other than her
husband (1642, New Amsterdam)

I, the undersigned Pieter Wolphersen, hereby acknowledge for myself, my heirs and successors that this day, date underwritten, I have adopted, as I do hereby adopt, Aeltjem Pieters van Couwenhoven, my own daughter, whom I have begotten and procreated by Maria de Truy, promising therefore that from this date I shall do by the above-named, my daughter, as a god fearing father is bound and ought to do by his own legitimate daughter; therefore, I hereby discharge and release Cornelis Volckersen, husband and guardian of the aforesaid Maria de Truy, from all charges and responsibilities incidental to the bringing up of a child till she becomes of age; I, Pieter Wolphersen, promising to look after the child, to let her learn to read and to bring her up according to my means. Furthermore, if I do not beget any children by my present wife, the above named child shall be my rightful heiress and inheritrix, as if she were duly begotten in lawful wedlock, and if it happen that children be begotten by me and my wife, the above named Aeltjen Pieters shall receive, like the legitimate children on my side, a just child's portion of all such goods, means and effects as it shall please the Lord God Almighty to bestow on me. Requesting that this may have effect before all courts, I have signed this without fraud in the presence of the subscribing witnesses hereto invited. Done, the 7th day of January 1642.

This is x the mark of Pieter Wolphersen
Jacob Couwenhoven
Philippe du Trieux
Acknowledged before me,
Cornelis van Tienhoven, Secretary

Maria Truax was constantly in trouble with the authorities, and was finally banished from New Amsterdam in 1664, for shady business dealings and keeping a disorderly tavern. (see Jan Peek)

[NI0018] Isaac du Trieux (Truax) was the progenitor of the Schenectady branch of the Truax family. He settled on the 'second flat' of the Mohawk River as early as 1670 (now the town of Rotterdam).

Isaac was among those who escaped the massacre by the French and Indians at Schenectady, and received "8 ells of pennestout and 40 ells of linen" as a refugee of that disaster.

"At various times in its early history, Schenectady suffered from the attacks of the French and the Indians. The most memorable of these attacks was in February, 1690. The causes which led to it were connected with the political changes in England, where the arbitrary king, James II., had been driven from the throne (November, 1688), and William and Mary had begun to reign (February, 1689). The great majority of the people on this side of the ocean favored the new order of things. With their support and in the name of the new sovereigns, the government of New York had been assumed by Jacob Leisler,a wealthy merchant and captain of the militia. The people of Schenectady were strongly Leislerian in their sympathies, and were bitterly opposed to those who had held office under King James. John Alexander Glen, the commander of the place and justice of the township, then residing at Scotia, was not allowed even to enter the village; and, contrary to his advice that a strict guard should be maintained, they left the gates unguarded except by images of snow, which they had placed there as sentinels.

Schenectady is said to have had at this time about 80 houses and 400 inhabitants. The village was mainly west of Ferry street, and was protected by palisades. There were two gates, one at the north end of Church street, the other at the south end, opening out to the Albany road. There was, also, near what is now the corner of Washington and Front streets, a fort garrisoned by 24 men. After the destruction of this fort, another one was built on the spot where now is the junction of Front, Ferry, and Green streets. In order to understand the circumstances connected with the attack on Schenectady, we must bear in mind that a portion of the Iroquois had been proselyted by Jesuit missionaries, who induced them to remove to Canada, where they settled at a place (a few miles above Montreal) called Caughnawaga, or Sault Saint Louis. It was under these circumstances that an expedition was sent by the French from Canada, with the intention of striking a blow at Albany or Schenectady. Of the various accounts, English and French, the most reliable appears to be the one written by Mons. de Monseignat, Comptroller-General of the Marine in Canada. The following extract from his report includes the most important part of the account.

"News arnved at Quebec of the success of the first party that had gone out against the English, and which had been organized at Montreal. It might have consisted of 210 men, to-wit: of 80 Indians of the Sault and the mountain, 16 Algonquins and the remainder Frenchmen. It was commanded by Lieutenants Le Moyne de Sainte Helene and Dailleboust de Mantet.

" Having taken their departure from Montreal, after a march of five or six days, they called a council to determine the course they should take, and the point they considered themselves in a condition to attack. The Indians demanded of the French what was their intention. Messieurs de Sainte Helene and de Mantet replied that they started in the hope of attacking Orange, if possible, as it is the capital of New York and a place of considerable importance, though they had no orders to that effect, but generally to act according as they should judge on the spot of their chances of success, without running too much risk. This appeared to the Indians somewhat rash. They represented the difficulties and the weakness of the party for so desperate an undertaking.

"As the Indians, who had perfect knowledge of the localities and more experience than the French, could not be brought to consent, it was determined to postpone coming to a conclusion until the party should arrive at the spot where the two paths separate-the one leading to Orange and the other to Corlard [Schenectady]. In the course of this march, which occupied eight days, the Frenchmen judged proper to diverge toward Corlard, according to the advice of the Indians, and that road was taken without calling a new council.

Nine days more elapsed before they arrived, having experienced inconceivable difficulties, and having been obliged to wade up to their knees in water and to break the ice with their feet in order to find a solid footing.

"At eleven of the clock at night, they came within sight of the town, resolved to defer the assault until two o clock of the morning. But the excessive cold admitted of no further delay. The town of Corlard forms a sort of oblong with only two gates, one opposite where our party had halted, the other opening toward Orange, which is only six leagues distant. Messieurs de Sainte Helene and de Mantet were to enter at the first, which was found wide open. Messieurs d'Iberville and de Montesson took the left with another detachment, in order to make themselves masters of that leading to Orange. But they could not discover it, and returned to join the remainder of the party. A profound silence was everywhere observed, until the two commanders, who separated after having entered the town, for the purpose of encircling it, met at the other extremity.

" The signal of attack was given Indian fashion, and the entire force rushed on simultaneously. M. de Mantet placed himself at the head of one detachment and reached a small fort where the garrison was under arms. The gate was burst in after a good deal of difficulty, the whole set on fire, and all who defended the place were slaughtered. The sack of the town began a moment before the attack on the fort. Few houses made any resistance. The massacre lasted two hours. The remainder of the night was spent in placing sentinels and in taking some rest. The house belonging to the minister [Rev. Peter Tassemaker] was ordered to be saved, so as to take him alive to obtain information from him; but as it was not known, it was not spared any more than the others. He was killed in it and his papers were burnt before he could be recognized.

"At daybreak some men were sent to the dwelling of Mr. Coudre [John Alexander Glen], who was major of the place, and who lived at the other side of the river. He was not willing to surrender, and put himself on the defensive with his servants and some Indians; but as it was resolved not to do him any harm, in consequence of the good treatment that the French had formerly experienced at his hands, M. d'Iberville and the Great Mohawk proceeded thither alone, promised hirn quarter for himself, his people and his property, whereupon he laid down his arms on their assurance, entertained them in his fort, and returned with them to see the commandants in the town.

"In order to occupy the Indians, who would otherwise have taken to drink and thus rendered themselves unable for defense, the houses had already been set on fire. None were spared in the town but one belonging to Coudre, and that of a widow who had six children, whither M. de Montigny had been carried when wounded. All the rest were burnt. The lives of between fifty and sixty persons, old men, women and children, were spared, they having escaped the first fury of the attack; also some thirty Iroquois, in order to show them that it was the English, and not they, against whom the grudge was entertained."

The French lost but two men at the attack on the town; but their return to Canada was attended with great hardships and the loss of 19 more men. Of the inhabitants of Schenectady, 60 were slain in the massacre, 27 were carried into captivity, one (or possibly more) escaped to Albany, and the remainder probably fled for refuge to their friends and neighbors who were settled along the river."

- from "The History of Schenectady County"

[NI0029] Symon Symonse the first settler, came early to New Netherland in the service of the West India Company as boatswain of the ship Prince Mauritz. In 1645 he was living in New Amsterdam (NY city) he then came to Beverwyck (Albany) in 1654. In 1662 he moved his family to Schenectady. Where the house he lived in was to remain in the family for over 100 years. On Feb. 8, 1690 the French and Indians atacked the Fort. Symon's 5 sons were taken prisoner and marched up to Canada. It took two weeks to get there through the cold and snow. His first born son Symon Jr. was returned to Schenectady in June of 1691 by an Indian that was known as the praying Indians. Symon Sr. and his wife escaped all the
horror because they were in Albany at a Baptism. Symon was a farmer by trade. And so were most of his sons. Phillip's son opened the 2nd grist mill in the area.

[NI0038] Daniel was a deputy shout fiscal in Albany in 1656. He signed a contract to serve Adriaan Appel, an innkeeper, for one year 24 Sept 1661. He then went to Delaware, returning to the Hudson Valley about 1665. He settled at 8 miles north of Schenectady about 1670. Daniel was a magistrate in Schenectady in 1676, in 1704 a member of the Board of Trustees, deacon in 1703 and probably elder in 1715. That year he deeded part of a lot to the Reformed Church.

[NI0041] Baptised at Dunham Anglican on 15 Feb 1825. Henry & Frances Truax, and
Mary Scott were witnesses.

Ontario Land Records:
Abraham Truase Romney Twp. SW1/4, Lot 14, Con. 3 Apr. 11, 1846 Sale - CL
Abram Truax Romney Twp. BR9?, Con. 4 Apr. 15, 1848 Free Grant - FF

From the Marraige register of the Western district 1796-1856:

Abraham Truai 35 and Rebesa Gownan 23 both of mersea, married 3 june 1851 in mersea, Witnesses, Geo Gowman, Dan,l D. Gowman
By Rev Richard Herrigton, Regular Baptist Church, Gosfield.

[NI0057] From Upper Canada Land Petitions "T" Bundle 18, 1833-1835 (RG 1, L3, Vol. 502 (a)):

"That your Petitioner with a wife and 13 children have been compelled to emmigrate from the Lower Province, in consequence of the death of his son aged 24, who was killed or rather murdered by one, who was tried for the offence and sentenced to a long imprisonment, but which sentence was mitigated, and the offender was at large to the great inquietude of your Petitioner and his family - who in consequence have been compelled to abandon their former residence and seek Asylum in this province, should your Petitioner be fortunate enough in succeeding in the prayer of his Petition."

Cemeteries to check for Abraham, Jane and Martin:

Central Grove, AME
Colchester Memorial
#Fairview - Ruthven
Gilgal, BME
#Graceland Univerlist Cemetery - Gosfield South
Harrow United - Harrow, Colchester S.
Harrow, BME
#Kenyon Point - Gosfield South
Maple Leaf Cemetery - Tilbury
McDowell Cemetery - Tilbury West
St William's - Emeryville
St. Francis Xavier - Tilbury
St. Georgeís Anglican - Tilbury North
St. John's - Woodslee, Rochester Twp.
St. Mark's, AME Zion
St. Philippe - Grand Point
St. Simon and Jude - Belle River, Rochester Twp.
#Sun Parlor Home for Seniors - Leamington, Mersea Township
#Monuments and Graveyards in Essex Co. made up of:
Abandoned Methodist, Maidstone, African Methodist Episcopalian, A.M.E., Gesto, Chippawa Indian, Jack Miner's, Point Pelee, Smith Black, Negro Lot 143, Wesley United, Talbot Road

[NI0058] Check:
- notorial records (Chaboillez?) for death of John Scott (Oct. 1796), guardianship of Jane to Dorcas and Joseph Higgins (aft. 1799), land transfer (1801, Noyan?), etc.
- Noyan church records for baptism (aft. Dec. 15, 1787), marriage (1800-1806)

[NI0062] From Barry Truax:

The story I told you about William Archer being murdered at age 24 (I
agree it must have been him, though he wasn't identified by name) was
found in the Upper Canada Land Petitions (RG 1, L 3), dated 1834 (by
Abraham Truax) in Toronto, Vol. 502A, Reference T 18/81, Microfilm Reel
C-2836, a copy of which I got in 1981 from the Public Archives of Canada.

[NI0074] Sons and grandsons of Jacob Truax who made land claims in Quebec:

Reel#, Vol#, Page#s : Name : Year : Type
C-2493, V.2, 735-747 : Truax, Andrew : 1800 : Lists of applicants who had taken the oath of allegiance
C-2493, V.2, 735-747 : Truax, Elias : 1800 : "
C-2493, V.3, 867-882 : Trewax, Isaac : 1801-1802 : Schedule of Applicants for Crown and Clergy Reserves
C-2493, V.3, 867-882 : Trewax, Jacob : 1801-1802 : "
C-2494, V.4, 1217-1264 : Truax, Andrew : 1802 : List of Patentees in the Townships for which Patents have been issued...
C-2494, V.4, 1217-1264 : Truax, Elias : 1802 : "
C-2494, V.4, 1363 : Truax, Andrew : 1800 : "
C-2494, V.4, 1363 : Truax, Elias : 1800 : "
C-2494, V.4, 1454 : Truax, Andrew : 1802-1825 : "
C-2494, V.4, 1454 : Truax, Elias : 1802-1825 : "
C-2494, V.7, 1986 : Truax, Andrew : 1797 : 'Scrip Book' listing grants
C-2494, V.7, 1986 : Truax, Elias : 1797 : "
C-2506, V.35, 17978-17984 : Truax, Andrew : 1790-1795 : Petitions for Land Grants - Auldjo-Ayr
C-2513, V.52, 26590-26708 : Trueax, Hermanus : 1792-1806 : " - By-Caldwell
C-2516, V.59, 29826-29830 : Truax, Elias : 1795-1802 : " - Chatelle-Christie
C-2516, V.60, 30310-30318 : Truax, Peter : 1811-1812 : " - Christie-Clarke
C-2518, V.65, 32486-32489 : Truax, Isaac : 1807 : " - Cooper-Cote
C-2518, V.65, 32486-32489 : Truax, Jacob : 1807 : "
C-2525, V.83, 41423-41444 : Truax, Abraham : 1795-1799 : " - Fabre-Fenris
C-2525, V.83, 41423-41444 : Truax, Abraham Jr. : 1795-1799 : "
C-2525, V.83, 41423-41444 : Truax, Hermanus : 1795-1799 : "
C-2549, V.146, 71460-71463 : Truax, Isaac : 1807 : " - Moore-Morris
C-2554, V.159, 780005-78124 : Truax, Andrew : 1792-1797 : " - Plenderleath-Poutre
C-2554, V.159, 78005-78124 : Truax, Elias : 1792-1797 : "
C-2558, V.169, 82388-82393 : Truax, Elias : 1795 : " - Roi-Ross
C-2560, V.176, 85445-85507 : Truax, Jacob : Apr.18, 1807 : " - Scott-Scott
C-2561, V.176, 85591-85612 : Truax, Jacob : 1810-1820 : "
C-2562, V.182, 87774-87777 : Truax, Jacob : 1809-1810 : " - Shoemaker-Sixbie
C-2564, V.186, 89473-89486 : Trewax, Isaac : 1802 : " - Spencer-Stevens
C-2564, V.186, 89473-89486 : Trewax, Isaac : 1802 : "
C-2565, V.190, 90985-90995 : Truax, Elias : 1783 : " - Tache-Taylor
C-2566, V.194, 92515-92522 : Truax, Abraham : 1795 : " - Tonnencour-Traverce
C-2566, V.195, 92797-92798 : Truax, Cornelius : 1828 : " - Tremblay-Tully
C-2566, V.195, 92799-92800 : Truax, Jacob : 1810 : "
C-2569, V.206, 96333-96337 : : Truan, Abraham Jr. : 1797 : " - Wilson-Wood

[NI0079] Simms, History of Schoharie County:
A dinner was given to George Washington at Schenectady on June 30, 1782, and that among those who attended were Captain Peter Truax and Isaac Truax, "then the oldest man in the place".

[NI0086] The Genealogy of the Truax family in the New York G.B.R Society of New York has only two wives listed for Jellis Truax. First is Ariaantje Jensen and there son Jacob. SECOND wife is Engeltje Evertson also with a son Jacob. ( see note below)

Year Book of The Holland Society of New York 1922 and 1923
Nov 12 1775 Andries of Jelles Trouex and Nency McKinsy wit. Andries Trouex, Catharine Wyngert

In letter to Wilcocxson from A.E. Edwards says the register of the Episcopal Church at St. Armand East Yielded the burial record of your Gilles Truax but the burial record for his wife could not be found there or anywhere else. The one record found read: Elias (sic) Truax of this Seigneury died on the 26th day of December 1820, in the 94th year of his age and was buried on the 28th day of the same

[NI0153] Marriage register has age wrong - says he was 32 when he married in 1867. Also has spouse's name as Martha House instead of Martha Wright, which I tend to trust more than the family histories.

[NI0166] Pretty sure this is the same one from the 1861 Census, Woodhouse, which says that he was 54 - must have been a mistake. He should be 34, especially since his wife was only 28.

From LDS Ancestral file:
Sex: M
CANADA 67003

[NI0240] From Pam Wood Waugh's web page:

3. John2 SCOTT (Walter1) was born before 1760. John died October 1796 in PQ, at 36 years of age. He
married on 28 August 1784, Dorcus FREEMAN in Montreal, Montreal Co, PQ . Dorcus was the daughterof John FREEMAN. She married on 21 February 1799, Joseph HIGGINS in Montreal, Montreal Co, PQ.
Dorcus and her second husband, Joseph Higgins, petitioned the court regarding land previously owned by the late John Scott in 1801. These three tracts of land were all about four acres wide by 28 acres deep in the second concession of the seigniory of Noyan [Lots 1, 5 and 7]. There were about 60 acres cleared and fenced and a wooden house and barn situated on Lot #1. Joseph and Dorcus Higgins "find the rent of the said land so high as they pay at the rate of nine dollars and a half per hundred acres and the expenses of clearing, cultivating and keeping in repair the fences and buildings thereon so heavy that they greatly exceed the revenue therefrom". The petitioners stated that it was beyond them to hold the land any longer and in the best interest of Dorcus's minor children to sell this land. After friends and relatives deliberated over the situation they agreed it would be best to sell the land and the court granted permission to Dorcus as tutrix of her minor children. Among those who agreed were Calvin May subguardian to the children and Thomas Scott, their paternal uncle.

John SCOTT and Dorcus FREEMAN had the following children:
+ 10 i. Jane3 SCOTT was born circa 1788.
+ 11 ii. John SCOTT was born 1790.
+ 12 iii. Richard SCOTT was born circa 1794.

[NI0241] From Pam Wood Waugh's web page:

4. Thomas2 SCOTT (Walter1) was born before 1765. Thomas died after 1838 in Noyan, Missisquoi Co,

He married circa 1787, Anna WILLOUGHBY in prob PQ . Anna was born before 1768. Anna died 17
March 1838 in Noyan, Missisquoi Co, PQ, at 70 years of age. Her body was interred 19 March 1838.

It is still unknown what date Thomas Scott Sr. actually died. No Will or estate records have been located
as yet. It is supposed that he died after 1838 since his wife's death record mentions she was Thomas's
wife, not his widow. Although, it is surprising that his death is not located within those same Anglican

Since brother James Scott had gone to Blairfindie by 1816, it is possible that Thomas Scott went to visit
him at some point and died there. In any case, given more time and further investigation, I suspect that
his death will finally be located.

Within the files of Leon Lalanne, a donation by Thomas Scott Sr to Thomas Scott Jr dated 4 March 1816
is found. Thomas Scott Sr. gives to his son Lot# 7 in the 4th Concession of Noyan in exchange for 5
pounds lawful money of the Province to be paid to him on January 1st each year. Anna Willoughby also
came forth and stated that she understood such agreement, and the three Scotts signed the document.

Thomas SCOTT and Anna WILLOUGHBY had the following children:

+ 13 i. Thomas3 SCOTT JR was born 1 May 1788.

+ 14 ii. Sarah SCOTT was born circa 1789.

+ 15 iii. Nancy SCOTT was born circa 1791.

+ 16 iv. William SCOTT was born 1 September 1793.

+ 17 v. John SCOTT was born circa 1796.

[NI0243] From Pam Waugh (email):
"John SCOTT was son of Walter SCOTT, Loyalist b. ca 1745 in Ireland. He arrived in America "2 yrs after the French War". First record I have is of
Walter SCOTT renting land in 1768 at Stillwater, Saratoga Co, NY. In 1776 he
spent some months in jail due to his loyalism. When Burgoyne traveled
through Stillwater, he and two sons and their families joined them to travel
north in safety. Arrived Laprairie Nov 1790, the families were
residing at Christie's Manor. "

From "Proceedings of Loyalist Commissioners, Quebec, 1787, Vol. 17, MSS. Folio 50", before Commissioner Pemberton:

June 21
786. Case of WALTER SCOT, late of New York.

Claimt. says: He resided at Montreal in 1783 & has been here ever since. Sent a claim in the Fall by Lawyer Powel, delivered it to him when he was going to England, but he afterwards returned it.
He is a native of Ireland. Came to America 2 years after the French War. Setlled at Still Water, lived there when the Rebellion broke out. At first took the Part of his King. Was Imprisoned for a Tory. His Sons joined the Brit. Troops. He was kept in different Gaols in the year 1776 from June to Christmas, then released to his own farm & there was on Parole til Genl. Burgoyne came.
Claimant & 2 Sons joined Genl. Burgoyne & continued with him til he was taken, then came to Canada. Now lives at Isle Aux Noix.
Produces Certificates to his Loyalty & Pass from Philip Skene. In Certificates Philip Skene remembers Claimts. Imprisonment.
He had 200 acres under a Lease from Genl. Skyler.
Produces Lease from Phil. Skyler to Claimt. forever of 198 acres, paying £4.19.3 annually after the year 1772 & paying Taxes, &c., dated 1768.
Says he had a house & 2 Barns, 2 Stables & other outbuildings & cleared 130 acres, had 2 orchards.
Genl. Skyler has got the Land again & has let it.
After he had joined Genl. Burgoyne's Army his stock was all taken.
7 Horses, 15 Cows, 4 Steers, 150 Bushels of old Wheat in the house, Hogs, 20 Sheep, furniture, Cloaths.
Taken by the Rebels, heard they were sold.

Knew his farm. Knew Claimt. at Still Water, good Land, well situated. Speaks of his Loyalty & that of his family. He had many Cattle. Lived in Comfortable circumstances. Has other attested Witness with Provisions, &c., for ye Indians, &c.

Knew Claimt., he lived at Still Water. He was very Loyal, he & all his Family. Heard of his Improvement.
Claimant & his Sons joined Genl. Burgoyne. Came into this Province before the Convention.
He had a Lease under Genl. Skyler.
Claimt. was a hard working, industrious man & did a great Deal to his farm. Had 100 acres or near it clear. Buildings were in good state. He had planted Apple Trees. It was Land well situated: Claimt. cd. have got a large sum for it, 30 Sh. per acre taking it all together. He had a Considerable Stock which he bels. was taken by the Rebels. Parties from the Rebel Army & Militia used to come particularly to seize the property of persons who had shown themselves well affected towards ye Brit. Govt.

From Pam Wood Waugh's web page:
1. Walter1 SCOTT was born in Ireland circa 1745. Walter died 9 August 1815 in Noyan, Missisquoi Co,
PQ, at 70 years of age. He married on before 1765, Mary ? . Mary died after 1795.

Walter Scott arrived from Ireland 2 yrs after the French War. At this point, since no firm birth yrs for his sons have been established, it is not known if he may have married in Ireland, or in New York. After settling in Stillwater, NY, Walter leased land from Peter Schuyler - for one term in 1768, and another in 1772. According to the indenture made on the 5th of April 1768 Walter Scott was living on 198 acres on Lot #41, Farm #3 - the first rent was to be four pounds nineteen shillings and three pence Sterling to be paid on the 29th September 1772.
In 1776 he spent 5-6 months in different jails in CT, one of which was in Hartford where he was imprisoned with Philip Skene. He was then released on parole but was still tormented by the British troops almost daily. He says his sons joined the British troops and when Burgoyne traveled through Stillwater, he and 2 sons and their families joined them for safety. By his account, he had 200 acres where he built a house, 2 barns, 2 stables and had other out buildings. When the property was confiscated, he had cleared 130 acres and had 2 orchards, and had lost 7 horses, 15 cows, in addition to steer, hogs, sheep bushels of wheat, and all furniture and clothing. The family arrived at Laprairie 7 Nov 1777 as 3 males, 2 females, and 4 children. On a Return of Families still in the district of Montreal dated June 1778 Walter Scott's family consisted of 3 men, 2 women, 3 children over 10 and 1 child under 10 noted as being "in great distress" with a large family. On a Loyalist list dated 1781 Walter Scott was noted to be "an old sick man", quartered at Montreal with a family of 2 males, 1 female, 1 male child over 6, 2 female children over 6. It may have been his son John considered separately, also noted as "sick".
A document dated 25 May 1790 lists the present inhabitants of Christies Manor...#7 Walter Scott Sr, #8 Walter Scott Jr, #9 Thomas Scott. As of Sept 1989 there is no clue to Walter Jr. His name is listed frequently in the Lower Canada Land Records, but have found no further reference to him in other records, unless he was also known as James. On 31 Jan 1795, there was a petition made for land in Hemmingford by Walter Scott as well as James, Thomas, John, the Carrigan brothers and others. In a petition dated the 16th Sept 1795, Walter Scott, once again, gives an account of his troubles while in Stillwater, adding he settled in Christie's Manor after the War and now had cleared a farm. Now, having such a large family he felt that since none of his family had applied for Waste Lands of the Crown (excepting lots given him and his sons in Hemmingford, which they found to be unfit for cultivation), he hopes that he and his family might obtain land in Clifton. He continues by naming all in his family which serves as proof to his descendants...Mary his wf, John, Thomas & James his sons, as well as Mary Carrigan, Easter(sic) Lucus, Jeannie Scott, his daughters..John Flemming, also of his family and a of this writing, nothing is known of John Flemming and his relationship to the Scotts. Walter Scott and wife Mary received 1200 acres, his sons 600 acres each and his daughters 200 acres each. John Fleming also received 200 acres. There is a slight chance, I suppose, that John Fleming might be a brother to Walter's wife Mary, and therefore, "of his family".

Walter SCOTT and Mary ? had the following children:
+ 2 i. James2 SCOTT was born circa 1756.
+ 3 ii. John SCOTT was born before 1760.
+ 4 iii. Thomas SCOTT was born before 1765.
+ 5 iv. Mary SCOTT was born circa 1770.
+ 6 v. Esther SCOTT was born before 1773.
+ 7 vi. Jane SCOTT was born circa 1773.

[NI0260] John Mears was a Methodist minister who spent his early ministry in northern Ontario. During his marriage to Maggie (Thompson), he lived and ministered in and around the Bay of Quinte area. His diary (from 1907 to 1939) is on file at the United Church Archives in Toronto. John Mears is my great-grandfather.

1879 - Nipissing and Stoney Lake (now Lake Bernard)
1880 - Little Saskatchewan
1881 - Oak River, Manitoba
1882 - Birtle, Manitoba
1883 - Cookstown, Ontario

Bay of Quinte Conference
1884 - Hall's Bridge
1885 - Lindsey East
1886-87 - Cambray
1888-90 - Victoria Rd.
1891-92 - Kinmount and Morland
1893-96 - Plainville
1897-99 - Baltimore
1900-02 - Myrtle and Columbus
1903-06 - Newburgh
1907 - Sup'd, one year Napanee, Ontario
1908-09 - Welcome
1910-14 - Sup'd Welcome
1915-17 - Sup'd Toronto
1918-26 - Sup'd Port Hope, Coburg Presbytery
1925-40 - Retired Port Hop
1941-44 - Retired Toronto, Toronto Centre Presbytery

[NI0278] Andrew Thompson was born in Five-Mile-Town, on the shores of Five Mile Lake in Co. Fermanagh, (Northern) Ireland in 1835. This was near the beginning of the Great Irish Famine, and records from that period are understandably spotty. It is known that he and his family emigrated to Canada in 1844, leaving from Liverpool, England and landing somewhere in Quebec, probably Montreal. The journey lasted 68 days. He was 9 years old.

The Thompsons settled in Simcoe County, Ontario soon after arriving. Andrew attended Barrie Public and Grammar School in 1853, and later apprenticed as a blacksmith under Mr. Thomas Somerset of Barrie. He lived in Bond Head for three years. He then set up shop in Thornton on John Henry's farm, Hwy. 27 and 15th. Sideroad. (Essa Twp.).

In 1860, Andrew was married to Elizabeth (Elisa) Mitchell in St. James Cathedral in Toronto. The church records list the names of the parents of both the bride and groom. The couple purchased a lot and built a shop in Essa, Lot 16, Con. 11, south of the present Anglican Church. They built a house south of the shop two years later, and two years after that, Andrew helped to build a Methodist Church 2 miles away.

Because Andrew received much of the payment for his services in the form of barter, he acquired a number of cattle, which he had nowhere to keep. So, in 1866, Andrew and Elisa acquired the north 1/2 of Lot 3, Con. 6, Innisfil Township (just outside Thornton) from the Crown, and built a house and a shop there. This house is still standing. Twelve years later they purchased the half-lot across the road, and in 1895 the built a brick house there for their son Allan and his wife. In 1898, Andrew helped to built a second Methodist Church, now Trinity United Church in Thornton. The same year the Thompsons moved to a house in town, then #5 Barrie St.

In 1910, Andrew and Elisa celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary, with nine of their ten children present. Elisa died the next year at age 68. Andrew continued to live in the house in Thornton, looked after by his daughter Laura, and died in 1917 at the age of 82. He and other members of the family are buried in a small cemetary just outside of Thornton at Innisfil Rd.

Andrew and Elisa Thompson had five sons and five daughters between 1862 and 1881. An interesting note: all the boys died before the age of 66, living and average of 55 years; all the girls lived past the age of 77, average 83 years.

From GenConnect:
Per genealogy library reference book, the following individuals owned one acre or more of land in Co. Fermanagh, Ireland in the latter part of the 1870s. Some owned property in Co. Fermanagh but lived elsewhere. Many, many Irish owned less than one acre, or none at all, and their names would not appear on this list.

5. Andrew Thompson, Reps. of, no address given, owned 132 acres.
6. John Thompson, address Ballyreagh, owned 21 acres.
7. Levingston Thompson, address Ashford, Co. Wicklow, owned 190 acres.

[NI0284] Richard Thompson (better known by his middle name, Allan) was born just 12 days before Canadian Confederation. He, like many others in the family, attended the Ontario Agricultural College (O.A.C.) in Guelph, for two years. He married Martha Jamieson in 1895, and the couple moved to a house built for them by his father, just across the road from his parents' house. In 1906 the couple and their 3 (4?) children moved to Saskatchewan.

An interesting coincidence: Richard died on Hallowe'en, 1925. His brother Robert died the day before Hallowe'en two years earlier, and the two were born almost exactly two years apart. Also, their niece Florence Mears was born on Hallowe'en, 1894.

Another coincidence: 8 of the 10 Thompson children had birthdays within 2 1/2 months of each other. 5 of them (nearly 6) were born in June. Must have been chaos!

[NI0285] Marl worked at Mary Kay's in Toronto as a seamstress, and later developed her own clientele. She never married, and was buried with her parents in Thornton.

[NI0286] John Thompson attended the Ontario Agricultural College in Guelph, and married Sadie in 1897. He went into the building business with his brother George in Toronto, and the two purchased 50 acres near Sandy Cove, on the shores of Lake Simcoe.

[NI0288] Laura worked at Eaton's department store in Toronto for a number of years, and later opened a gift shop on Dupont. She never married. After her mother's death in 1911, she went back to Thornton to look after her father Andrew until his death. Laura is buried with her parents in Thornton.

[NI0427] The family history says that Hanna Bellas' father was George, but that may have been a bit of fudging in aid of the inheritance claim.

[NI0437] Probably in Hoorn, North Holland. Certainly a trader and tavern-keeper of New Amsterdam in 1639; probably a sailmaker and trader of Hoorn. A document dated June 5, 1614 states that Cornelis Volkertszen, Bookseller resided at Hoorn on the Nieuwland (street) in the house called "`t Vergulde Claver" (the golden clover). He was an investor in the ship "The Fortuyn" which explored
the Hudson River in 1613 just four years after Henry Hudson (1609). He was also an investor in the New Netherland Company formed to explore and settle New Amsterdam. He evidently followed his investment by settling in New York.

[NI0439] An early settler of New Amsterdam, where for many years he and his wife kept an Inn. Frequent prosecutions were instituted against them for selling spirits without license and for selling to the Indians. The creek at Peekskill takes its name from him. Maria had as a first husband, Cornelis Volkertsen Viele, plus an illegitimate child prior to her marriages by Pieter Wolphersen Van Couwenhougn.

[NI0440] Evert came to New York in the service of the Dutch West Indies Company. He lived in New York City until about 1651 when the family moved to Albany. He was a cooper and import merchant. He was an elder in the Dutch Church, 1656, Orphan-Master, 1657, Magistrate, 1660, 1661. In 1663 at the time of his second marriage, Evert and his second wife, Marytje, signed a prenuptial agreement which gives the name of his first wife, the names of her children
except for Thomas, then an adult, and the ages of the children.

Evert Jansen, from Emden, married, July, 1644, in New Amsterdam, Susanna du
[Image]Trieux[Image]. He acquired a lot in 1647, another lot in 1652 at
Beverwyck. His name often occurs in the church registers of New Amsterdam.
He died in 1655. [lies!]

[NI0521] From Tom Bellas:

William Bellas of Knock married Sarah Brown at Milburn on the 4 Apr
1753. Srah's parents were Wm and Anne Brown.
William Bellas aged 74 was buried at Murton in 1797
Sarah Bellas aged 83 was buried at Murton in 1803.

[NI0523] Apparently the Freeman family originally came to the U.S. from England on the 'Abigail', one of several companion ships on the second voyage of the Mayflower.

Historians consider the Battle of Saratoga to be the major turning point of the American Revolution. This battle proved
to the world that the fledgling American army was an effective fighting force capable of defeating the highly trained British forces
in a major confrontation. As a result of this successful battle, the European powers, particularly the French, took interest in the
cause of the Americans and began to support them.

In the British Campaign of 1777, Major General Burgoyne planned a concentric advance of three columns to meet in
Albany, New York. He led the main column, which moved southward along the Hudson River. A second column under
General Barry St. Leger served as a diversionary attack, moving eastward from Canada along the Mohawk River. General
Howe was expected to direct the third element of the attack. According to the plan, General Henry Clinton, under the direction
of Howe, would move northward along the Hudson River and link up with Burgoyne in Albany. Through this campaign, the
British hoped to isolate and destroy the Continental forces of New England.

Initially, the British plan appeared to be working, with British victories at Ticonderoga and Hubbardton. Burgoyne's army
continually pushed back the Americans southward along the Hudson River with only minor casualties. The Battle of Bennington
marked the first significant American victory, when General John Stark led the American militia to victory against a British
resupply expedition.

In an attempt to slow the British advance, the American General Philip Schuyler detached 1000 men under the command
of Major General Benedict Arnold. This force moved west to thwart St. Leger's eastward advance along the Mohawk River.
Arnold returned with his detachment after repelling St. Leger in time serve in the Battle of Saratoga.

At the Battle of Freeman's Farm, the new commander of the Northern Department of the American army, General
Horatio Gates, lost an indecisive battle. During this First Battle of Saratoga, fought 19 September 1777, the American forces
lost ground to the British forces under General Burgoyne. Disagreements in tactics and personalities led to a heated argument
between Generals Gates and Arnold. General Gates relieved Arnold of command as a result. The Battle of Bemis Heights was
the second battle of Saratoga, taking place October 7th when Burgoyne desperately attacked rebel defenses with his tired,
demoralized army. At Bemis Heights, Gate's defensive tactics insured a tactical victory for the Patriots. However, Arnold saw
an opportunity to seize the offensive while Burgoyne was vulnerable and led a counterattack. This bold move so badly
wounded the British forces that Burgoyne surrendered days later at Saratoga.

from Bill Burley on GenForum:
Looking for parents of Dorcas and John Freeman. John was the owner of Freeman's farm, site of the Battle of Saratoga.
Dorcas married John Burleigh, my ggggg grandfather. John Burleigh was presumed killed in this battle and Dorcas later married
Matthias Rose. John Freeman and his wife and 6 of 9 children died of small pox enroute to Canada. The 3 surviving children
were Thomas, Mary and Dorcas Freeman. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Title Abstract for Town of Stillwater, Saratoga, New York

Copyright (c) 1999 by Leslie B. Potter (

USGENWEB NOTICE: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in
any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or
persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material,
must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or the legal
representative of the submitter, and contact the listed USGenWeb
archivist with proof of this consent.

Chain of Title for Farm # 3, Great Lott 16 1768 Philip Schuyler leases Farm # 3 to John
Freeman. (Schuyler Papers reel #10)

It was a freehold lease dated August 2, 1768 and was for three lives. John Freeman, Efellanah
Freeman * (presumably his wife), & Edward Freeman. * Thomas Freeman, son of John, had a
daughter named Efellanah. The name was also spelled Evalena and Efelana.

1777 Battle of Saratoga is fought on Farm # 3. The British loose and burn John Freemanís log
house before retreating to Canada.

John Freeman fights with the British and retreats with them.

1778 February 10, John Freeman dies in a small pox epidemic in St. Jean, P.Q., Canada.

1779 William Mead is the tenant on Farm # 3 with a term lease. (1779 Saratoga District Tax

1782 William Mead enters into a freehold lease with General Schuyler for Farm # 3 (Chancery
Decree, Department of State Docket 35 page 312-315) 1804 General Philip Schuyler dies and a
decedentís estate is raised.

1805 General Schuylerís decedentís estate is settled by a Chancery Decree, supra, and
Catherine Schuyler Malcom inherits Farm # 3

Catheine Schuyler Malcom sells the farms in her Allotment under the Chancery Decree, supra.
Not all of her Grantees record their deeds.

1822 Thomas Leggett conveys title to Farm # 3 to William Leggett (Saratoga County Deed Book RR
at page 168) {recorded in 1844} This deed does not contain a ďBeing clauseĒ and does not
explain how Thomas acquired title to Farm #3

William Leggett to Abraham Leggett
1838 Abraham Leggett to Ebenezer Leggett (SCDB RR p 170) {Recorded in 1844}
1883 Ebenezer Leggett to Hesther A. Esmond (SCDB 162 p. 53)
19__ Hester A. Esmond to Jennie E. Wight
1923 Jennie W. Wight to Saratoga Battlefield Association (SCDB 327 p. 199)
1927 Saratoga Battlefield Association to the State of New York (SCDB 341 p. 258)

[NI0550] Cheapside gravestone reads:
"I.M.O. Rebecca, wife of Joseph Atkinson, died 7 Sept 1870 in her 38th year"
This would put her d.o.b. abt 1832, if it's the same person

[NI0582] From Pam Jobin:

"Thirteen years later (1832), George immigrated to the United States on a sailing vessel with his wife and family, Samuel, Jane and John Petherick. Upon their arrival in American they stayed in the home of William Petherick in Elyria, Ohio. After living in America only two years, however, George decided to live under the King again, and moved his family to Louisville, Ontario, six miles outside of Chatham, in Canada. They remained there nine years (four years in town, and five years on a farm near Louisville), and then moved to Wheatly, Ontario, to what is know as Muddy Creek (1843). From there he moves on to Samuel and his family. Samuel married Sarah Eliza in 1848. He taught school at Melbourne, Lemington, Olinda, and Wheatley, Ontario, before moving to the US in May of 1865. Samuel's children were Jeston George Robinson (5/30/1851-), Lydia Ann (5/3/1854-1/21/1948), William Petherick (5/17/1856-4/18/1937), Henry Olmstead (1/2/1860-4/15/1888), Coorydon Palmer (3/29/1861-3/25/1922), Edwin Thomas (2/27/1865-8/9/1892 (or perhaps 1872?), Arthur Folger (1/17/1868-1/25/1956), and Katherine Annis (7/22/1870-3/1/1940).

[NI0598] Baptist.

[NI0668] From 1881 Census, Lancashire Co.:

FHL # 1341935, (RG1239/6)
Folio 74, p. 42 57 Rumford St. Chorlton on Medlock
Mary HOLDING H, W, 47, Householder, b. Manchester
Henry B, S, U, 22, Insurance Clerk, b. Manchester
Elizabeth L, D, 21, School Mistress, b. Manchester
Nora M., D, 19, Milliner's Asst., b. Manchester
Gilbert W., S, 17, Mercantile Clerk, b. Manchester
Kate, D, 15, Scholar, b. Manchester
Frederick W., S, 13, Scholar, b. Manchester.

[NI0703] Christopher Jaques was from a Huguenot family who had fled to England in the 1600s.

From LDS IGI file:

Chrisr. JAQUES
Sex: M
Event(s): Christened:
14 Oct 1750
Kendal, Westmorland, England

Source Information:
Batch number:

[NI0710] From Pam Wood Waugh's web page:

2. James2 SCOTT (Walter1) was born circa 1756. James died 19 April 1847 in St Luc, St Jean Co, PQ,
at 90 years of age. His body was interred 21 April 1847. He married Anna WILLET . Anna died before
1847 in PQ.

James Scott received land in the 2nd Concession of the Seigniory of Noyan in 1794 [files of Peter Lukin,
notary], although it appears that he was one Scott to have left Noyan very early. In the files of Henry
Griffin, notary, a document [#1522, 27 July 1816] between James Scott and Hix Salls states that by
1816, James had removed to Blairfindie, Quebec. A Writ of Execution dated 23 Sept 1815 shows James
Scott was a Tavernkeeper in the parish of Blairfindie who was seizing land held by John Willard of
Noyan. The land was 1/2 of Indian, or Scott's Point in Noyan, bounded on the north by Lot 1, on the
south and west by South River and on the east by Ephraim Wheeler's land. It also had a log house and
barn on the property. More land was bounded to the north by Walter Scott's farm, to the south by Scott's
Point, on the east and west by unconceded lands and South River with about 40 acres under
improvement and a log barn.

A later Writ of Execution dated 11 Sept 1817 showed that Alexander Hart, a merchant of Montreal, had a
suit against James Scott, then a yeoman of Blairfindie and had seized a parcel of land at the Cote
Sainte Stanislas in the Parish of Ste. Marguerite of Blairfindie, bounded in front by little river Montreal, to
the rear by Cote Ste. Francois Borgea, commonly called the BattleGround,, on one side by King's
Highway, leading from Laprairie to St. John, on the other by 2 other tracts which eventually bordered up
against land of John Houle.

Apparently, his two sons remained in L'Acadie after he moved to Laprarie. He gave his two lots in
Laprarie to his sons, James Jr and Stephen on 2 June 1823. Records show that James Scott purchased
land in Laprairie from 1824 through 1827, acquiring lots on both St-Henri and St-Paul Streets. On
January 1st, 1832, James was listed as a land owner on Cote St-Stanislas L'Acadie. His son Stephen
was listed as land owner nearby. On December 28th, 1836, James Scott made a declaration on his
properties in Laprairie. In September 1839 he had his L'Acadie land surveyed, lots 99 and 100.

James SCOTT and Anna WILLET had the following children:

+ 8 i. Stephen [Etienne]3 SCOTT.

+ 9 ii. James [Jacques] SCOTT, Jr..

[NI0711] From Pam Wood Waugh's web page:

5. Mary2 SCOTT (Walter1) was born circa 1770. Mary died 26 October 1801 in Noyan, Missisquoi Co,
PQ, at 31 years of age. She married before 1795, Paul CARRIGAN. Paul was born in Ireland circa 1756.
Paul died circa 1797 in Alburgh, Grand Isle Co, VT.

Paul Carrigan and his brothers Patrick and Peter were originally from Ireland and were living on part of
the Saratoga patent when the War broke out. Paul's statement [ NAC, A.O. 13 Vol 12, Reel B-2185, pp.
29-32] tells us that the Americans had insisted they join their Army, and not wanting to side with them,
they fled their property and country in October 1776 and joined Jessups Corps. Paul Carrigan stated
their loss in property to be 563 pounds.

Very little is known about Mary Scott Carrigan and her short life. A document located within the files of
Leon Lalanne dated 7 November 1801 says "Jane Holgate widow of the late Asa Holgate late of
Swanton...declared...that whereas on or about the 26th day of October...Mary Carrighan of Noyan her
sister widow of the late Paul Carrighan of Noyan...died...". It continues with Jane Holgate "by request
and with the advice of certain relations and friends of the deceased did take in her custody certain effects
and papers" from Mary's house. Jane then requested that notary Leon Lalanne inventory the items since
she "considered herself exposed to erroneous suspicions...". The inventory included 4 shoe buckles, 6
tea spoons, a pair of sugar "tongues", a blue wooden box in the form of a book, which held a snuff box
shaped like a small shoe containing gold rings, some silver wrapped in linen, keys and some papers.
There were also other 3 pocket books with enclosed papers, and a parcel of more papers. Since Jane
wanted these effects to be deposited with a person of trust, they were all wrapped together and delivered
to Philip Ruiter, Esquire to hold. One has to wonder what information might have been found in all those well as why Mary's sister felt the urgency to take those items.

Probate records at Alburgh, Vermont for Paul Carrigan dated 1 November 1796 [Grand Isle Co, Vol. 1, 5]
show his estate to be worth $362 including Lot# 42 in Alburgh, Vermont, oxen, sheep, a plough, weaver's
loom, and many other necessary farming articles. This was inventoried 27 April 1797. Later pages dated
the third Monday in March 1806 state that the administrator wished to sell the Alburgh land at public
auction on the 2nd Tuesday of August 1806 to defray charges and settle the debts of the deceased Paul
Carrigan. The land sold for $250 to Duncan McGregor and his personal estate was worth $172. Listed on
this particular document was an interesting entry under charges and allowances - "Articles of personal
property that the widow carried into Canada that I never could obtain and articles wrongly inventoried
amounting....$101." The items inventoried by Leon Lalanne in 1801 certainly would not have been valued
at $101, giving even more reason to be more curious about items taken by Jane Scott Holgate.

There has been no evidence given that Paul Carrigan and Mary Scott had any children. However, in a
document dated 20 Dec 1802 [Grand Isle Co., Vol. 1 17] concerning the estate of Philip Carrigan, Paul's
brother, it is stated that settlement of that estate in the amount of $221 be divided between Patrick
Carrigan and the heirs of Paul Carrigan. On 25 June 1803 the money was divided and laid out 14 acres
each on the north side of the farm owned by said Peter Carrigan to the heirs of Paul Carrigan. Exact
descriptions of the land was given and two names: Catherine Carrigan and Margaret Carrigan. The
possibility of these two girls as daughters and therefore grandchildren to Walter Scott needs to be
researched at length.

Mary SCOTT and Paul CARRIGAN had the following children:

+ 18 i. Catherine3 CARRIGAN was born circa 1792.

19 ii. Margaret CARRIGAN was born before 1801.

[NI0712] From Pam Wood Waugh's web page:

6. Esther2 SCOTT (Walter1) was born before 1773. Esther died 23 June 1829 in Missisquoi Co, PQ, at
56 years of age. Her body was interred 25 June 1829 in Missisquoi Co, PQ. She married before 1795,
Daniel LUCAS. Daniel died in Ontario.

Esther SCOTT and Daniel LUCAS had the following child:

20 i. Jane Anne3 LUCAS was born in Noyan, Missisquoi Co, PQ 9 January
1810. Jane died after 1828. She was baptized on 3 August 1828, in
Clarenceville, Missisquoi Co, PQ.

[NI0713] From Pam Wood Waugh's web page:

7. Jane2 SCOTT (Walter1) was born circa 1773. Jane died 14 May 1818 in VT, at 44 years of age. Her
body was interred in Swanton, Franklin Co, VT.

She married twice. She married before 1797, Asa HOLGATE. Asa was born May 1767. Asa died 5 May
1799 in VT, at 31 years of age. His body was interred in Swanton, Franklin Co, VT. She married circa
1802, Theophilus MANSFIELD in VT. Theophilus was born in Tyringham, ? Co, MA 27 August 1776.
He married Abigail TORREY. He married on 1 January 1838, Eunice MILLER in Franklin, Franklin Co,
VT . Theophilus died 25 March 1865 in Enosburgh, Franklin Co, VT, at 88 years of age. His body was
interred in Franklin, VT.

Jane "Holget" is listed among those who took the oath of allegiance at Missiskoui Bay between 1797
and 1798. Her entry is dated 31 March 1798, and in addition to herself and her husband there was a
female below the age of 14; they had come from Vermont and were looking to settle in Clifton, Quebec
[PAC, R.G. 1, L 3 L, Vol 206, Reel C-2869, pp.96333-96337].This would probably be the same land that
was granted her father, Walter Scott. A later document located within the files of Leon Lalanne dated 12
March 1822 appears to also deal with this lot of land. Evidentally, Jane's second husband and her
widower, Thomas Mansfield, of Georgia, Vermont sold Lots 6 and 7 in Clifton's 1st Range, amounting to
200 acres to Samuel Holgate of Milton, Vermont for $200. On 3 January 1826 Harvey Holgate, attorney
for Theophilus Mansfield swore that he had signed the deed of conveyance voluntarily. This same record
was deposited with the Town Clerk at Swanton, Vermont on 13 March 1822 [Vol 8, page 210 as noted
by Lalanne's copy]. On the very bottom of the last page is written "within land belonging to the original
note of Water Scoat..". At this point (1990) it is not known what relationships both Samuel Holgate and
Harvey Holgate had with Jane Scott. They may very well be her sons but further investigation is needed
in Vermont to prove or disprove this line of thought.

Jane SCOTT and Asa HOLGATE had the following child:

21 i. ?3 HOLGATE was born before 1797.

[NI0733] There are many Atkinsons buried in the United Church (Methodist) cemetary in Cheapside (Walpole Twp., Haldimand Co.). They are probably related, but I have no idea how. This is where John Jaques Jr. (Anthony's brother) is supposed to be buried, but I was unable to find his grave.

[NI0734] From Hilary Richardson (email):

So here is something that might interest you from the latter records; they
are from the registers 1582-1901 (LDS film # 1471684). Unfortunately about
a hundred years is illegible, from about 1670 to 1770. But here is
something that might interest you:

1779.05.24 Marriage of Christopher Jaques 28, weaver, Murton, and Anne
Bellas (who signs her name with an "X"), 19, spinster, Murton. Banns and
consent of father, William Bellas, John Bellas.

[NI0735] From Jaques Family History, from information given by William Jaques of Simcoe, ON:

"John Jaques was born December 6, 1788 [elsewhere stated d.o.b. as 1795] as the son of Christopher Jaques and Ann Bellas. He lived in Merton, Westmorland, England and Penrith. He emigrated to Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, USA before moving to Walpole, Haldimand County. He was a stonecutter by trade. He married Margaret Fossett, the daughter of an English country Squire. She was a woman of Christian character and refinement.

"In 1848, John Jaques and his family, except Thomas Jaques and John Jaques, decided to seek their fortunes in the New World and sailed on the sailing ship the City of Rome. This voyage took seven weeks and five days at sea to complete. Upon arriving, they travelled first to Pittsburg, as mentioned above, then moved on the Joyce Bank, Newfoundland. From there the family moved to Buffalo, New York, USA, where in 1852, Margaret (Fossett) Jaques died. Soon after the family moved to Canada, arriving at Hamilton, Ontario on Easter Sunday, lived for a time at York, then purchased a farm at Jarvis from Cornelius Smith [note: Cornelius Smith had land at S. 1/2 of lot 18, 3rd. Con., and at lot 19, 2nd. Con.].

"John Jaques died soon after in the same year as his wife's death. He was living at the newly-purchased Smith farm in Walpole Township when he died and he was buried at Saint John's in Woodhouse Township, Norfolk County, Ontario, Canada. John Jaques' children, Samuel Jaques, Joseph Jaques and Mary Jaques stayed on the farm for a few years. About 1860 they began to branch out for themselves."

This particular family history gives list of children as follows:

John, b. 1818
Mark Thomas

Frighteningly enough, this list is identical with the list of children of John Jaques Jr. (this John's son), except that Mark and Thomas are two separate people. Since Anthony has been left out completely, I think I can safely ignore the above list.

[NI0773] From Bill Holding:
"My grandfather was raised on a farm in Essex County by a strict Methodist father. Sunday afternoons were spent in total silence in the living room with the curtains drawn. The adults read 'good' books and the small children were allowed to play quietly.
"This life was so repressive that he and his older brother Sam ran away from home, ages 14, 16. They got jobs on the railroad, and a year or so later his brother fell between the cars and was killed. Albert returned home and went back to school, eventually becoming a Methodist Minister.
"He had a church in Jarvis, Ontario where my mother was born, then another church in Brantford. He became associated with a dissident group of Ministers, known as the Burnsites after their leader Burns. They favoured a less strict church, did not believe in Hell, left people free to believe as they pleased and to deal directly with God according to the dictates of their consciences rather than through a Minister.
"In 1892 (Nancy Pinnington disputes the date) a church trial was held and Albert was one of seven clergymen who were expelled from the church for heresy.
"He moved to Toronto where he led a congregation of Burnsites on Homewood Avenue.
"In 1912 he organized a group of his parishioners to move to land in the Peace River valley, about 500 miles N.W. of Edmonton. His oldest son Garnet was one of these settlers. They left Edmonton in April, and arrived at their destination in September, after travelling by ox cart over trails that were all but impassible. Garnet married promptly, had a child, and Albert, Margaret and their youngest son Dawson joined them in 1913 or 14, 6 of them sharing a one room sod house.
"Albert died there in 1922."

Bill claims that Albert was born in 1858, but this doesn't agree with either the 1871 census, the Beaverlodge gravestone, or the Thura Hires MS., and would be impossible if Arthur's birth date is correct. Need to check birth records.

The census lists Samuel and Albert both living at home, so their parents must have held out hope that they would return.

1882 - accepted as probationary minister
1883 - Townsend
1884 - Hagarsville
1885-86 - attended Wesleyan Theological College in Montreal
1887 - ordained, assigned to Walsh & Woodhouse
1888 - Sheffield
1889-91 - Rainham Center
1892 - Courtland
1893 - Not stationed, trials begin
1894 - expelled
1895-96 - lived at 232 Park Ave., Brantford (as Vice-President of Christian Association)
1896-1900 - lived at 81 William St., Brantford
1900-1904 - lived at 108 Eagle St., Brantford
1905 - lived at 37 Palace, Brantford (president of Christian Association)
1906 - moved to 26 Homewood Ave., Toronto

From the Minutes of the Niagara Conference of the Methodist Church, 1894:

"It was resolved, That having heard and carefully weighed the findings and evidence of the Committee appointed to consider the charges against the Rev. A. Truax, which findings sustain said charges declaring him to be out of harmony with the doctrines and teachings of the Methodist Church, this Conference accepts the decision of the Committee, and, in view of the unscriptural and dangerous tendancy of the teachings of the Rev. A. Truax and his determined persistance in those teachings, we remove his name from our Minutes and depose him from the ministry of the Methodist Church. This Conference would also regard and declare Mr. Truax to be unworthy of membership or any official position in the Methodist Church so long as he maintains the hostile spirit and unscriptural views manifested and expressed in his statements as given in the evidence and charges preferred."

Nelson Burns was expelled that same year by the Guelph Conference. Nancy Pinnington is of the opinion that the real reason for Albert Truax's and Nelson Burns' expulsion is that they believed in the theory of evolution. This may well be - their beliefs were certainly on the liberal side, and seem to have put them at odds with not only the mainstream Methodists, but also with the rest of the Holiness Movement of which they were ostensibly a part. From what I can tell, they shared the concepts of divine justification and pentacostal-like ecstacy with the Holiness crowd, but they interpreted these concepts in a much less repressive and fundamentalist way, leading them to put less of an emphasis on ritual and scripture and more on personal intuition and inspiration from the Holy Ghost.

After the expulsion, Albert, Rev. Burns and others formed the Christian Association, better known as the Burnsites. In 1909, several members of the congregation purchased cheap land out west in the form of 'Scrips', or land grants given to and sold by veterens of the Boer War. Albert was one, and his son Garnet left with 31 members of the Burnsites to stake out their settlement in the southern Peace River Valley at Beaverlodge, Alberta. Their remarkable story is told under Garnet Truax.

Albert followed Garnet in 1913, not to farm, but as a representative of the leadership of the Christian Association. When Albert's duties in this regard were assumed by another in 1919, Albert, Margaret and their youngest son Dawson moved in with Garnet and his family in a two room, sod-roofed cabin. The stress of this situation is blamed for causing Garnet's wife to miscarry. The elder Truaxs moved into their own cabin the next spring.

(More notes on Rev. Burns - he was the founder of the Canada Holiness Association, of which Albert was vice-president. He published a newsletter called "The Expositor of Holiness", which was actually published out of the offices of the "Christian Guardian" (the main organ of the Methodist Church of Canada) until they gave him the boot. He lived and preached in Milton for a number of years (1860s and 70s), had children there, and at one point purchased the Georgetown (Halton?) Herald. He had chronic sciatica and angina, and died in 1904. In the "Autobiography of the late Rev. Nelson Burns, B.A. / A New Study of Christ Life, etc." (published by The Christian Association - BX8495 B89A3 - with a forward and several articles by Albert Truax), Burns tells of getting ready to say his prayers one night, and suddenly realizing that to do so would be absurd, since he felt he had been in very close personal contact with God all day anyway. He felt that saying formal prayers at that point would be to distance God from himself, not bring him closer. He tells another story about having a sudden intuition that he should get on the Queen St. streetcar, for no apparent reason. He followed this urge, which he felt was inspiration from the Holy Spirit, and found himself in conversation with a total stranger who ended up donating a large sum to Burns' church. Burns apparently was influenced early on by a cousin who was a spiritualist medium, and shared Albert's resentment of his own strict Methodist upbringing.)

From an anonymous letter to 'The Christian Guardian', July 22, p. 451:
"Dear Sir - Your reference to the Rev. N. Burns' book entitled "Divine Guidance" in a recent issue of the Christian Guardian, has led me to the conclusion that it would be but just for me to let the bretheren know of the terrible results of Burns' teaching in this part of our work. Two circuits, in fact three circuits, in Norwich District are seriously affected by this teaching. Those who adopt his views become infallible and absolutely perfect, and their experience is of such a high order that they cannot have fellowship with the members of the Church unless they come up to where they imagine themselves to be in the light (a new light they say). At one appointment they refuse to work in the Sunday-school on the ground that they are waiting for a special revelation, or the Holy Ghost has not told them to do so. They will not pay to the funds of the church unless they have this special revelation. Many of them will not attend the prayer-meetings because they are not let act in a foolish way, or say and do as they please, and at their Canadian Holiness Meetings the Church and ministers come in for a criticism before many who are not converted, that it is a shame to any person who names the name of Christ, and the worst of all is this iniquity is fathered on the Holy Ghost. This things has been cursing this circuit for about four years; the financial and spiritual interests of the circuit injured; Summerville church ruined; the work of God paralyzed; sinners scoffing, and all saying, Why do you leave Burns in the Conference or in the Church? Why is the Expositor published in the Guardian Office? I know that we are all on the side of mercy, but how long?"

[NI0774] From Bill Holding:
(after Albert died in 1922), "Margaret and Dawson returned to Toronto... Margaret dropped dead from a stroke while babysitting my sister in 1928, before I was born."

[NI0854] From the 1787 Westmorland Census:
Constablewick of Hilton
Appleby, St. Michael Parish

John Atkinson Master of Family Husbandman
Margaret Atkinson Wife Housewife
John Atkinson Son Husbandman
Jane Atkinson Daughter Milkmaid
Agnas Atkinson Daughter Spinner
Hanah Atkinson Daughter Spinner
Ester Atkinson Daughter Knitter
Thomas Atkinson Son Boy

[NI0866] From LDS Ancestral file:

294 EAST 1100 SOUTH
USA 84010

[NI0888] Wesley United Church Cemetery Lot 27 Con 11 Monck Township
Highway 118 at Milford Bay

MEARS, Richard 1847 - 1927
h/o Mary STOCKER 1846 - 1928

[NI0909] From

Just on a whim.....I checked the Dunham Anglican records......Freeman is the
son of Joseph Higgins and Dorcas Freeman. Freeman was baptised 29 Mar 1810,
having been born 9 Jan 1800. Joseph is from Farnham. Witnesses to the
baptism were Abram Truax, John Scot, Dolly Higgins. On the same day (29 Mar),
Dorothy Higgins, spinster adult of Farnham, was also baptised. She signed her
name as Dolly Higgins. Thewitnesses here are all Truax.....Isaac, Mary and

[NI0941] LDS Ancestral File submitted by:
USA 95672

USA 95624

[NI1049] Much confusion in the census.

Robert Dempster, age 55 (M)
Lillis Dempster, age 55 (F)
Sarah Monk, age 19, mar? (corrected) (F)
George Dempster, age 15 (M)
Jessie Dempster, age 13 (F)
Lillia Dempster, age 10 (F)

Next entry:
George Monk, age 27, mar. (M)

Robert Dempster, age 65 (M)
Lillia, age 65 (F)
Jessie, age 23 (F)
George, age 1 (M)

Lilia Dempster, age 77, wid. (F)
George, age 30, son (M)
Georgina, age 11, dau. (F)


[NI1100] This is just a guess as to the relationship between Robert, Sarah and George. In the 1871 census, Sarah Monk is listed with Robert's household, married, and George is listed next door, also married.

[NI1117] From Burke's Peerage:
"During the Irish Famine of 1840s, mortgaged the Lissadell estate to provide food for his tenants, refusing meanwhile to accept any rents."

From: Marj Kohli


There was indeed an ∆olus. I have it in the extractions I am doing for New
Brunswick. she arrived May 31 from Sligo. And this appeared in the paper:

We the Committee of the Passengers of the Ship ∆olus, of Greenock, Capt.
Michael Driscoll, commander, do send our thanks, in the name of all the
Passengers, to our ever to-be-remembered late landlord, Sir Robert Gore
Booth, Bart., Sligo: he was always kind to his tenants; it was not tyranny
which forced us to emigrate-it was the loss of our crops for two years
past: and we hope to gain a living in America by strict industry and
sobriety. We are thankful to henry Gore Booth, Esquire, the owner of the
∆olus, for the ample stores put on board for the voyage, and the good
quality thereof. We are also thankful to Captain Driscoll, for his upright
conduct in the distribution of diet-giving all the same fair play;-the
widows and orphans and the sick were all kindly treated by him, and his
advice to all had a good effect, as there was not a single riot or a blow
struck during the voyage.

Written by Mathias Ferguson, Head Manger.
Sanctioned by the Committee.
Edward Johnston, Robert Gregg,
Patrick Gilloon, Hugh Cristal,
Partick Hart, Dennis Gilloon,
John Mallowny, Charles Jones,
Thomas Gillan, Michael McDermott,
Patrick McLoughlin, Andrew Gilloon,
Adam Johnston, James Munns,
Bryan Feeny, Patrick Feeney,
Patrick Boyle, Michael Smith,
Thomas Keelty, Wm. Ferguson,
Wm. Johnston, Owen Toher,
Patrick Heraghty, John Gillian.
St. John, May 31, 1845.[sic]


[NI1137] From Burke's Peerage:
"Nationalist politician and participant in armed struggle for Irish independance, condemned to death for her part in the Easter Rising 1916 but reprieved and sentence commuted to penal servitude for life (released 1917), elected MP (Sinn Fein) to Imperial Parl., Westminster, for St. Patrick's, Dublin, 1918-21 (the first woman so elected, but did not take her seat), elected rep Dublin City Provisional Dail Ireland (also Min Labour) 1921-22 and as memb Irish Free State Dail Eireann 1923-27; also a painter."

William B Yeats (1865-1939)

In Memory of Eva Gore-Booth and Con Markiewicz

The light of evening, Lissadell,
Great windows open to the south,
Two girls in silk kimonos,both
Beautiful, one a gazelle.
But a raving Autumn shears
Blossom from the Summer's wreath;
The older is condemned to death,
Pardoned, drags out lonely years
Conspiring among the ignorant.
I know not what the younger dreams-
Some vague Utopia-and she seems,
When withered old and skeleton-gaunt,
An image of such politics.
Many a time I think to seek
One or the other out and speak
Of that old Georgian mansion, mix
Pictures of the mind, recall
That table and the talk of youth,
Two girls in silk kimonos, both
Beautiful, one a gazelle.

Dear shadows, now you know it all,
All the folly of a fight
With a common wrong or right.
The innocent and the beautiful
Have no enemy but time;
Arise and bid me strike a match
And strike another till time catch;
Should the conflagration climb,
Run till all the sages know.
We the great gazebo built,
They convicted us of guilt;
Bid me strike a match and blow.

[NI1145] Sir Paul's son, Sir Francis of Ardtermon, was the direct ancestor of the present
Gore-Booth family of Lissadell. Sir Francis co-operated with the Cromwellians, yet
reconciled himself with the Royalists and was granted land at the Restoration. He
was elected M.P. for Co. Sligo in 1661. He married Anne Parke, surviving daughter
and heiress of Capt. Robert Parke of Newtown Manor or Castle, alias Parke's
Castle, just across the country boundary into Leitrim. She died in 1671, having
borne Sir Francis nine sons and four daughters.

[NI1151] Not sure if this is him, but probably:

W H WARWICK (William Henry)

58th Bn., Canadian Infantry (Central Ontario Regt.)
who died on
Sunday, 23rd April 1916.

Commemorative Information

West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Grave Reference/
Panel Number:
III. C. 19.

[NI1169] The extinct (since 1802) Earls of Ross, the Earls of Arran, the
Lords Harlech and the Gore-Booths descend from the seventh son of Gerald, Sir
Paul Gore, a successful soldier of fortune in late Elizabethan Ireland, who was
granted substantial estates in the north-west and was created a baronet in 1622. He
put down roots in Ireland, was elected M.P. for Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal, and
died in 1629. It was he who built the castle of Ardtermon on the shore of Drumcliff
Bay about two miles west of the present Lissadell. Its angle towers and protective
bawn betoken its seriously defensive purpose.

[NI1170] From Burke's Peerage:

Gerard Gore, an Alderman of the City of London at the close of the 16th century (son of John Gore), obtained a grant of land in Surrey temp. Elizabeth.

[NI1255] Lord of the Manor of Saltfleetby in Lincolnshire, England until he was implicated in the Lincolnshire rising in 1536.
For this his lands were confiscated by Henry VIII and awarded to Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk.

[NI1257] Lord of the Manor of Saltfleetby in Lincolnshire, England. This line goes back 400 years to Hugo le Newcomen, Lord of the
Manor of Saltfleetby in Lincolnshire, who, in the 12th century, accompanied Richard I on his crusade to the Holy Land.
(source: "Thomas Necomen" by L T C Rolt 1963, pages 42-44)

[NS154943] USGenWeb Archives

[NS16362] transcription

[NS17423] CD ROM

[NS17462] transcribed by Dot Stutter (email)

[NS18052] transcription of a transcription

[NS18053] Wende Veeder (email)

[NS18663] from Pam Waugh

[NS24703] Lot 27, Con 11, Monck Twp., Hwy. 118 at Milford Bay, Muskoka

[NS26041] From Henry to his brother Robert, via their Manchester attorney

[NS26043] PRONI

Back to Jennifer's Geneology Page

HTML created by GED2HTML v3.0 (2/2/97) on Tue May 16 10:20:55 2000.