Walsh, Walshe, Welsh (et al) of England
This compilation simply focuses on some of the earliest reference of 'le Waleys', 'Walensis', and similar spelling in England, which appear to indicate Welsh origin. Some of the descendants of the individuals referenced later adopted the surnames of Walsh, Welsh, Welch, Wallis, &c.
Although attempting to focus on the Walsh, Walshe and Welsh surnames in the early English counties, it is evident the origins are varied and the lineages unclear. Yet it is interesting to highlight some of the pedigrees, some similarities in various Coats of Arms used by these individuals, as well as possible connections to the Waleys, Walsh &c. names and surnames between England and Wales, and in very limited cases between England and Ireland. Where possible more contemporary reference is made to the Walsh, Walshe, Welsh, &c. families in England. Many of the references include sources, in square brackets [ ] or in italics, where possible. Some of the references made here are attributed to the Joseph C. Walsh in his publication on the history of the Walsh name.
"The statement about some of the earliest Walshs in Ireland being "barons of Cornwall" would seem to be essentially correct, for families of le Waleys (an early form of Walsh, Wallis, Wallace, etc.) are found in Somerset, Devon, Dorset, and Sussex in the 1200's, where the names indicate descent from Richard and Ralph, sons of Cadwalader (ap Gruffydd ap Cynan) and Alicia de Clare, and where the families were mainly on de Clare lands. It has been possible to trace them through a number of entries in the Parliamentary Roll of Arms to the time of Richard II." - [source: Joseph C. Walsh; Walsh 1170-1690; 1925].
Langridge and Hutton, Somerset (and Llandough, Glamorgan, Wales)
- At the time of the Domesday Survey (1086) Langridge, Somersetshire, was endowed to the Bishop of Coutances. Adam Walensis of Langridge was witness about 1210, 1225, and again 1230, to land grants made to the Hospital of St. John Baptist at Bath, Somerset. In 1225, Adam le Waleis made good on his claim to a free tenement in Langerig, formerly held by Walter, son of Ralph [S.R.S., XI, 337].
- Hutton in Somerset was held by the Church of Glastonbury under Edward the Confessor, and by the Bishop of Coutances, in
France, at the time of the Domesday Survey. "Its next principal possessors were the family of le Waleys or Walsh, who held the manor of the Clares, Earls of Gloucester. In 1259 Adam le Waleys was owner of Hutton Manor. [source: Proceedings, by thr Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society, V. 60, 1915]
- A family of Waleys or Walsch is of Glamorganshire descent and was long seated at Llandough Castle, near St. Mary Church in the Vale of Glamorgan. The manor of that name, which at the end of the twelfth century was held by Adam le Walsh (Genealogies of Morgan and Glamorgan, 470). In A.D. 1262 it was valued at £10, and belonged to another Adam le Walsh ( Cartæ et Munimenta de Galmorgan. i. 108). [source: Notes on churches in the Diocese of Llandaff]
- The above were the le Waleys or Walshe family of Langridge and Hutton, Somerset, and of Llandough, Glamorgan, Wales, who bore the arms of Ermine a bend Gules.
Sir John le Waleys who was at the great tournament at Stebenhithe (Stepney), 2 Edward II (1308-09), bore the arms of "Ermine a bend Gules." He was perhaps of the above Somerset and Glamorgan branch,
Ermine, a bend Gules
- The arms of "Ermine, a bend Gules," were also cited for Wallis, in Lincoln., 1209; and Welles, in Llandaff (Wales), 1426. [source: The Blazon of Episcopacy]
- "Ermine, a bend gules were also the arms of Walles or Walleys of co. Dorset, and Trowbridge, co. Wiltshire. A variant of this blazon, which also included "a pheon in canton or," is said to be for Wallis, Healing, near Grimsby, co. Lincoln, derived through Wallis of Trowbridge and Grovely, co. Wilts., from Henry Wallis, Lord Mayor of London in the 13th century. [source: An alphabetical dictionary of coats of arms belonging to families in Great Britain and Ireland, v. 2; 1874; Papworth, et al].
- The history of the le Waleys, or Walshe, family, at Stowey, Cathanger, North Curry and elsewhere in county Somerset appears to begin in the 13th century with a Richard le Waleys who was lord of Stowey in 1255.
- Prominent members of this family appear at Cathanger, Somerset in the latter 15th century. Judge John Walsh, son of another John, was Justice of the Common Pleas in Henry VIII's time. It was Judge John's daughter Jane who married Sir Edward Seymour, a son of the Lord Protector, Duke of Somerset. The coat of arms for Walshe of Cathanger were the same (or similar) to the Walshes from Olveston and Little Sodbury, Gloucestershire. The Cathanger family is also cited with a blazon of Azure six mullets Or, 3,2,1, and as a mark of difference, within a bordure gobonated, Or and gules.
Hewish Chamfloryes (Huish Champflower), Somerset
Related familes of le Waleys possessed manors in Somerset and Dorset in the 13th century, including Huish Champflower in the earlier part of that century.
See Dorset for additional details.
- At Woolavington, there was a Waleys (le Waleis) family, dating from Henry II (1154-1189), in which the names Ranulph, William, Henry, Walter and Gilbert appear. They also held lands at Rixton. In the time of Henry II, William son of Ranulph de Wallys received a grant here.
Gilbert le Waleys was founder of the Woolavington chantry. From Hugh le Waleys (brother of Gilbert le Waleys) the Gilbert family descended. Gilbert le Waleis of Wollavyngton is mentioned circa 1268-88. John (la Waleis) who assumed the name of Gilbert, married Laetitia de Rixton. Robert le Waleys of Woolavynton, and his wife Isabella, appear in an inquisition of 5 Edward II (1312-13). [partial sources: Somerset Record Society, v. 57, 1942; and Index to Collinson's History of Somerset]
- Memorandum that Joan (Gilbert) the wife of Roger Pym is the blood-relation and heir of Gilbert le Waleys, founder of the chaplains of the same Gilbert in the chapel of the Blessed Virgin of Woolavington, viz. daughter of Richard, the son of Gilbert, the son of John, the son of John, the son of Hugh ; brother of the aforesaid Gilbert le Waleys, founder. [Somerset Record Society. v. 57, 1942]
- Joan Gilbert, daughter of Richard Gilbert, esq., of Wollavington (by Eleanor, his wife, second daughter and co-heir of William Doddisham, esq.). married Roger Pym, esq., of Brymmore. [source: A genealogical and heraldic history of the extinct and dormant baronetcies of England, v. 2, 1844]
- Ellinor, sister of William Dudsam, married Richard Gilbert of Wollavington. Their daughter Joane married Roger Pym of Brimore. [source: The visitations of the county of Somerset, in the years 1531 and 1573]
- A daughter of 'Walles of Woolavington' married William Doddesham, junior (who died in 1470), and her arms are described as "Ermine a bend Sable." William (junior) was a son of William Doddesham, senior (who died in 1480) and his wife Joan (who died in 1472). Elinor, the daughter of William (junior), married Richard Gilbert of Woolavington. [source: The visitations of the county of Somerset, in the years 1531 and 1573].
- The wife of William Dodesham was named Joan, and she is described as kinswoman and coheiress of Roger Walsh, late lord of Hutton, Somerset. [The register of Thomas Beckington, Bishop of Bath and Wells, 1443-1465]
- In 1430, William Dodesham, junior, and Joan his wife, held a fourth part of the manor of Hutton, co. Somerset, granted to them by William Dodesham, senior. [source: Pedes finium for the county of Somerset]
- The arms of Waleys, or Walsh, of Hutton, Somerset, are cited in Collinson's History of Somerset as "Ermine a bend Sable."
- John Walleys of Worle is cited of the family that owned the manor of Woollavington, Somerset. [source: Collections for a Parochial History of Wraxall]
- A daughter of John Waleys (Walleys) of Worle, Somerset, married Robert Coker of Bower, Sheriff of Somserset and Dorset, 1 Henry VI (1422-23). The arms for this John Waleys (Wallis) are described as "Ermine, a bend Sable." [Notes & queries for Somerset and Dorset, v.7, 1901]
Ermine, a bend Sable
- The arms of the Walshe or Welsh family of Quedgeley, Gloucester; and Llanwern & Dinham, Wales, are described as "Ermine, a bend Sable." Like the Langridge & Hutton family, the early history of this family also indicates a thirteenth century ancestor named Adam.
- The Arms in the church at Stancomb, Dorset? (perhaps 'Wallis'), are given as "Ermine, a bend Sable." [source: Walsh 1170-1690, by J. C. Walsh]. The same arms are cited for Wallis in An inventory of historical monuments in the county of Dorset: East Dorset.
Additional Somerset Records
- A list of Knight Service, in the County of Somerset, in the time of King Henry II (1154-1189) includes the name Robert Walensis, for 1 knight of the fee of William de Moun (Mohun). [source: The Western Antiquary, by William Henry Kearley Wright]
- In 3 King John (ca. 1202), is a case between Geoffry de Meisi, claimant, and Guinilda late the wife of William Wallensis, tenent ; for a virgate of land in Cherchille ; recognizance of mort ancester was summoned. Guinilda recognized the right and inhertitance of Geoffry : for this Geoffry gave Guinilda that half of the said virgate which Geoffry held with the capital messuage to the same. [Pedes Finium, commonly called feet of fines, for the county of Somerset, v. 1, 1892]
- In 1278 William le Waleys was bailiff of Gilbert de Clare in Somerset. The lands of Gilbert Walsh near Midleton in County Cork, Ireland were held from the same Gilbert de Clare, as disclosed by the inquisition held after the death of his wife, Isabel de Clare. [source: Walsh 1170-1690]
- In 9 Edward I (1280-81), John le Waleys and his wife Cristiana (in dower) held lands in Spekynton, Somerset. [source: Pedes finium, for the county of Somerset]
- In 1 Edward III (1327-28), a Walter Waleys paid 2s. 4d. for tenements of the manor of Wrokeshale, and 14d. for tenements of the manor of Babyngtone. A Walter Walsch paid 6d. for tenements of the manor of Banewell. William Waleys paid 18d. for tenements of the manor of Suttone. John le Waleys paid 12d. for tenements of the manor Stoke Abbatis. A John le Walsh paid 6d. for tenements of the manor of Chesterblade. Hugh Waleys paid 6d. for tenements of the manor Cosyngtone. [source: Kirby's Quest for Somerset, Exchequer Lay Subsidies]
- In 1346, Elizabeth de Gorges and Walter de Waleys held land in Wroxhale (Wraxall), formerly held by Radulfus de Gorges. [source: Inquisitions and Assessments Relating to Feudal Aids]
- At Bicken-Stoke in Nemnet, Somerset, which was "always held at the honor of Gloucester" there was a Philip le Waleys in 23 Edward III (1349-50), who held by the fourth part of a knight's fee. [source: Walsh 1170-1690]
- Walter Waleys was lord of Litton, Somerset, 29 Edward III (c. 1355). About 1360, Walter Waleys, canon of Salisbury, granted rent in his manor of Bradpole, retaining the manor of Litton.
- At Portishead and Weston in north Somersetshire, the tax list of Edward III, dated 1327, shows Davy le Walsch with a levy of 6 pence.
- In 1393 William Walsch was witness to a quitclaim of rights to the manors of Nettlecombe and Rowden, Somerset.
- In 1397, Roger Walsh was a witness to a grant of the advowson of Pokulchyrche to the dean and chapter of Wells. [source: Calendar of the Manuscripts of the Dean and Chapter of Wells]
Chickerell Parish in Dorset; and Huish Champflower in Somerset
- Related familes of le Waleys possessed manors in Dorset and Somerset in the 13th century. This included Ralph le Waleys who held lands in Podington, Chickerell, and other tenements in Dorset, as well as Huish Champflower, and other tenements in Somerset. One of the arms of the Waleys here is described as 'barry of 8 argent and gules, on a canton of the first, a bend fussel of the second'. [source: The Particular Description of the County of Somerset]. See Dorset for additional details.
Langton in Purbeck (Langton-Wallis) in Dorset
- Among other lands, Langton in Purbeck (Langton-Wallis) in Dorset was held in the 13th century by Ingelram le Waleys. Ingelram seems to have used (a combination of) the arms of both Marshal and Mortimer, "a bend fusiled," and "barry of eight." These were also the arms of the le Waleys, mentioned above, and both families were noted holding tenements in Chickerell, Dorset. When Nicholas le Waleys died in 1292 he was seised of the manor of Huish Champflower (Somerset) and also 1/4 fee in (Poditon) West Chickerelle (Dorset). Later the same year Ingelram le Waleys (of Langton, Dorset) held the 1/4 knight's fee in Podington, Dorset, late of Nicholas le Walleys. See Dorset for additional details.
The arms of the Waleys of co. Dorset are given as "Argent, four bars Gules, on a canton Ermine as many fusils in bend of the second," according to An alphabetical dictionary of coats of arms belonging to families in Great Britain and Ireland [v. 2; 1874; Papworth, et al]. This description matches closely to those of Chickerell, Dorset.
Additional Dorset Records
- The old manor of Stoke Waleys, aka Stoches from the Domesday Book, was located in the hundred of Whitchurch, Dorset. it's distinctive name is obviously due to some ancient owner called (le) Waleys [source: The place-names of Dorset]
- In 1199, Richard Walensis is mentioned in a dispute with Philip de Lega and Claricia his wife, regarding the military fee in Halington. [source: Rotuli de Oblatís et fíníbus in Turri Londinensi Asservati, tempore Regís Johannis; 1835]
- In 1205-06, Richard Walensis remitted and quit claimed for himself and his heirs to, Philip de Lega and Claricia his mother, tenents, all his right and claim of half a knight's fee in Alingetun. For this the tenents gave and granted to Richard one hide of land in Stokes, except the wood called Essonewod which Philip retains. Moreover Philip gave him 100 shillings and one coat of mail. [source: Full Abstracts of the Feet of Fines Relating to the County of Dorset]
- In 1207-08, William Walensis, knight, and Emma (de Waie) his wife recognized the right to dower of one third part of the villes of Waie (co. Dorset) and of Waie Newenton (Newton, Somerset) and of Sidlinch (or Sideliz), of Matilda, widow of Ralph son of Ruand, and then wife of Robert de Monasteriis. After the death of Matilda, William and Emma and the heirs of Emma shall be quit of the said rent for ever.
Between 1221-25 Philip de Sarumville (or Salumvill, apparent son of Emma de Waie) had purchased Newton for 100 shillings (which William gave to him), as it appears that William Wallensis (his wife Emma de Waie died in 1221) had tried to be quit of his bargain. [The Particular Description of the County of Somerset; and also Full Abstracts of the Feet of Fines Relating to the County of Dorset]
- A William le Waleis was one of the justices itinerant for Dorsetshire in 9 Henry III., 1225. In the next year he was appointed to assess and collect the quinzime in that county (Rot. Claus. ii. 76. 147.). It was probably his son who, in 32 Henry III., went into Gascony, and was thereupon permitted to pay 100l., which his wife Johanna had fined for the king's permission to marry whom she pleased, by annual instalments of 20l, each (Excerpt. e Rot. Fin. ii. 38). [source: The Judges of England, by Edward Foss]
- In 6 Edward II (ca. 1313), Robert, abbot of Preaux, to have confirmation of an exchange of half a water-mill in Spetisbury (co. Dorset) for land there, made by Richard le Waleys with Bernard the late abbot. [source: Lists and Indexes
The arms in the church window at Melbury Sampford in Dorset are "Gules, a fess Ermine";
In the Parliamentary Roll of Arms, temp. Edward I., Sir Richard le Waleys of Sussex had "Gules, a fess Ermine," as did a Sir Richard Waleis of Sussex, a baron, 1321. The same arms were cited for Sir Steven Waleis, at the siege of Calais, 1345-48.
And Sir Simon de Waleys of Surrey and Sussex, temp. Edward II., bore the same Arms, distinguished by a "leopard passant Or," or a "lyon passant gardant Or."
Waleys or Walleys of Glynde in Sussex
- The above Sir Richard Waleys, knight, was likely of the family who held Glynde in Sussex. The family must have been of considerable importance, as there was a succession of six knights from father to son who held the estate of Glynde. According to the The Visitations of the County of Sussex the family name was Walleys. The first Richard le Waleys, it is said, inherited Glynde through marriage to his wife Dyonise, inheritrix to the Lord Glynde in Sussex. This Richard Waleys held four (three?) knights of the Archbishop of Canterbury for Glynde and Buxted in Sussex, and at Thanington and Lossenham in Kent, according to a late twelfth century list of knights of the archbishop. He appears as the successor of an earlier Godfrey of Malling who, some claim, was the same man as Godfrey of Thanington, and Godfrey the steward (who held lands at Lossenham).
[partial source: A Glimpse of Glynde, by Anthony Hampden]
- In the reign of Henry II the Canterbury knight who owed the service of three fees for Glynde, Thanington, Lossenham (near Newenden) and Buxted (in South Malling) was Richard Waleys, who had married a certain Denise and by her had a son called Godfrey. It is likely that Denise was the descendant of Godfrey of Malling and transmitted to her son both the name of her ancestor and the lands he had held of the archbishop in Sussex and Kent. [source: The Lordship of Canterbury, by F. R. H. Du Boulay]
- Perhaps the best source for records on this family are included in The Glynde Place archives: a catalogue, by Richard F. Dell, 1964. The case is made for a probable son of the first Richard named Godfrey le Waleys, who died about 1237. Godfrey's son was also named Godfrey le Waleys and he died in 1266. The latter Godfrey was the father of Sir Richard le Waleys. The early family also held tenements in Tarring, Sussex, as suggested in the records.
Walsh of Horeham in Waldron, Sussex (and of Birche in Chiddingly, Sussex, and of Etchingham & Salehurst)
- The manor of Welches or Walshes, aka, Walsh Manor near Crowborough in the parish of Rotherfield, East Sussex, derived its name from the family of Walsh, who were afterwards of Horeham in Waldron (Waldern, or Walderne). The assizes of 1284 mention a William le Walshe of Rotherfield. The Fermor family later held this manor. An heiress of the Walshes of Horeham married Thomas Dyke, esq., in the early part of the seventeenth century. [source: A Compendious History of Sussex, by Mark Antony Lower; and Survey of English Place Names]
- Birche, Berchs, alias Birchs, alias Birche-parke (in the parish of Chiddingly), was held in 16th Henry VI (1437) by William Alman, Thomas Attewood, Stephen Walsh, and others. [Parochial History of Chiddingly, by Mark Antony Lower]
- About 1460 (38 Henry VI) is a Sussex grant by Stephen Walssh, to three others, of all his share of lands and tenements in Waldern, within Marchallesgate, called 'Homefeld' and 'Estfeld' ; also a meadow in Longewyssh &c. [source: A descriptive catalogue of ancient deeds in the Public Record Office, v. 2, 1894]
- In 1488, is a release by Robert Walsshe, son and heir of Stephen Walssh, formerly of Waldern, to others, of all his right in two fields called 'le Homfeld' and 'Estfeld' in the parish of Waldron aforesaid, below Marchallesgate, and on two pieces of meadow adjacent, by the stream running from Redynbregge to Mortemeresbregge. [source: A descriptive catalogue of ancient deeds in the Public Record Office, v. 1, 1890]
- Before 32 Henry VIII (1540-41), the Horeham estate had become the property of Thomas Walsh, esq., and had probably belonged before him to Robt. Walsh, his father. The Walsh family at Horeham appear to have come from Worcestershire where at an early period John Walsh married a Wyard, whose arms Miss Walsh (married Thomas Dyke) quartered. [source: Sussex archaeological collections..., v. 13, 1861]
Additional Sussex Records
- In the mid-12th century, Radulfus Walensis was witness in a series of deeds related to the manor of Eastbourne. In one charter of 1153 he is referred to as Radulfo Milite Cognnomie Walensi. He is referred to as Radulfo Walensis in other grants to the monks of Lewes (the priory of St. Pancras). [source: Sussex Archaeological Collections relating to the history and antiquities of the county, v. 35, 1887; v. 43 - 1900]
- In 49 Henry III (1264-65) is an inquisition post mortem for Agatha, late the wife of Hugh le Waleys. John le Wales her son, aged 30 and more, is her heir. Four virgates land in Mydloventon (aka Mid Lavant), Sussex, held of the king in chief by service of 1 mark yearly. [source: Calendar of Inquisitions Post Mortem]
- In 1322, William de Mundham sold land, &c., to Thomas le Waley and Alicia, his wife, in Tarring, Salvington, Goring, Horsham and Arundel. [source: Sussex Archaeological Collections, v. 40, 1896]
- In a May 1333 charter, Ralph le Walsh of Cowfold (near West Grinstead, in West Sussex), gave to his son Richard and his direct heirs Harlokyslond etc., Hagwode common, the "Rewayn" of Hardwissh meadow, Croftmannyslond, and all the meadows belonging to those lands; with remainder in default of heirs to Ralph's daughter Margaret and her direct heirs, and failing them, to the right heirs of Ralph. Margaret married one John Bolne (Bolney), as is said. [source: Sussex Record Society, v. 63, 1964]
- In 22 Edward III (ca. 1349), John le Waleys and James de Echyngham to destroy a wall at Knellesflote on the borders of Kent and Sussex, which was intended to keep out the sea, but which blocks the course of a stream. [source: Lists and Indexes, no. 22, 1906]
- In 32 Edward III (ca. 1359), Nicholas son of Adam Waleys and Agnes his wife v. Adam Waleys and Alice his wife; a messuage, 22 acres of land, 1 acre of meadow, 12d. rent and pasture for 50 sheep in Kyngeston by Lewes; to Nicholas and Agnes and heirs of their bodies, contingent remainder to right heirs of Nicholas, for 100 marks. (File 66. No. 1.) [source: Sussex Fines, 31-35 Edward III, An abstract of Feet of Fines for the County of Sussex: vol. 3: 1308-1509 (1916)]
- Circa 1392-99, Hugh Waleys held one knight's fee at Est Raddon, Devon. [source: Calendar of inquisitions post mortem, v.17]
- Alicia, daughter of John Walleys, Esq., of East Raddon, in the county of Devon, married Sir Simon Digby (died 1520) who was sheriff for Leicester and Warwickshire in 1509 and 1517. They are buried at Coles-Hill in Warwickshire [source: A general and heraldic dictionary of the peerages of England]. Other sources suggest that Alicia (Alice) was descended from Hugh Wallis, his arms of "Gules, a fess Ermine" appearing in the (Thorverton) church window there. [partial source: Risdon's Survey of Devon]
- Simon Digby, the first of his name to live in Coleshill, is buried with his wife Alice, daughter and heiress of John Walleys, of Est Raddon, Devonshire, in a high tomb to the left of the altar. Round the sides of the tomb are escutcheons of Digby (azure, a fleur-de-lys argent, in the dexter chief a crescent for difference) and and Walleys (gules, a fess ermine) and Digby impaling Walleys. [source: The Coat of Arms, v. 2, nos. 9-16, 1966]
- The arms of John Walleys, of East Raddon, Devonshire, are described as "Gules, a fess Ermine." [source: The Coat of Arms, v. 2, nos. 9-16; 1966]
- John Walleys of Devonshire appears in a pedigree of the Waleys of Glynde, Sussex, presumably the same as John of East Raddon, and is listed as a great-grandson of Sir Godffrey Walleys. [source: The Visitations of the County of Sussex Made and Taken in the Years 1530]
- John Waleys (IV) of Devon is cited in The Glynde Place as a son of Richard. Richard was the surviving son of Sir John Waleys' second marriage who received his mother's Aspale properties in Devonshire and founded a new branch of the family in that county. In this instance John Waleys (IV) was a great-grandson of Sir Godfrey Waleys of Glynde. His father Richard had a brother named Hugh and both were born of the same mother, Alice Aspale of Devonshire.
The arms of Walleys, "Gules a fess Ermine," are impaled with those of Gilbert in Marland Church, Devon. [source: Joseph Holland's Collection of Arms]
The arms of Walleys, "Ermine a bend Gules," quartered with Holland, Metsted, Merton and others, appear at Shepewash Church in co. Devon. [source: Sir George Carew's scroll of arms 1588]
Walter Waleys held a knight's fee at Braunton (by Barnstaple), co. Devon in 1346, formerly held by Radulphus de Gorgys. [source: Inquisitions and assessments relating to feudal aids]
Thomas Walsh is cited as a mayor of Barnstaple, Devon, at various times from 1413-1421. [source: Memorials of Barnstaple, by Joseph Besly Gribble]
- The arms "Azure, six mullets or, three, two, one," are cited for Richard Welshe of Pilton (Devonshire), who died in 1551. His was a wealthy merchant and landowner family of the 16th and 17th century. (This would appear to be same arms as those of Walsh, Welsh, of Little Sodbury, Gloucester). [source: Pilton: Its Past and Its People]
- Mary, daughter and heir of Richard Welsh of Pilton (and his wife Katherine), married Nicholas Wichalse, of Barnstaple (3rd son of Nicholas), and had issue Joan.
[source: A View of Devonshire in MDCXXX, by Thomas Westcote]
- During the 17th century there was a Devonshire family named Welsh living at Barnstaple and Alverdescot, which bore the arms, "on a shield azure, six mullets 3, 2, 1, or." [source: Notes and Queries, v. 10, 1890]
- John Welsh was a merchant of Barnstaple, and Mayor in 1580. He was living in 1618. James Welsh (fl. 1585-1643), subsequently of Alverdiscot, near Barnstaple, Esq., was probably his son. Bred to the law he was appointed Deputy Recorder of Barnstaple in 1617, and is styled "Knt." in the municipal records of that year (though not after). He married Anne, daughter of Sir Hugh Pollard, of Horwood ; she died March 17, 1621, and there is an inscription to he memory on a floorstone in Barnstaple Church. [source: Notes and Queries, 7th series volume 10th, v. 82, July-December 1890]
Suffolk and Kent
- The arms of Waleys of co. Suffolk, and of co. Kent are described as "Gules, a fess Ermine," in The General Armory of England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales, by Bernard Burke.
- For co. Kent, this included the same arms which appear at the Church of Herne, and attributed to Elizabeth, daughter of William le Waleys who held the manor of Hawe at the end of the fourteenth century. (Note: Elizabeth's father was Sir William of Glynde in Sussex (Glynde mentioned above) and his wife Dame Margaret Seynclere)
- The Waleys of Glynde, Sussex, held lands at Thanington, Lossenham and Buxted, co. Kent, in the 13th century.
- Also for Kent, this included the arms of Waleys of Cudham, co. Kent, which are described in a brass in the church there as Gules, a fess Ermine, a star in the dexter point. This was the brass for Alice (dated 1503), sometime wife of Walter Waleys, of the parish of Cowdham (Cudham) in Kent., sister of John Alegh (Leigh) of Addington, co. Surrey, sometime there Justice of the Quorum. Alice was a daughter of John Leigh and Matilda Payne, while Walter Waleys' father is said to be named William, and their eldest son was named Richard. [sources: Surrey Archaeological Collections; and The history and topographical survey of the county of Kent; and Addington, by Frank Warren]
- William Paulyn of Delaware in Brasted (co. Kent), married a daughter of Simon Walleys of Cudham ; her arms are Gules a fess Ermine. [source: Proceedings, by Society of Antiquaries of London, v. 9, 1881]
- For Suffolk, the arms (above mentioned) may have referred to the Waleys of Kersey and Hadleigh. As early as circa 1243-1271, an Ade (Adam) de Waleys de Kerseye, Suffolk, is mentioned among the tenants of Kersey. Richard Waleys (le Waleis) was Prior of Kersey (obit. 1331). An Adam le Waleys of Kersey and Avicia his wife are mentioned in the Suffolk fines of 9 Edwad III (1335-36). Robert Waleys from Kersey sat in five consecutive assemblies between 1384 and 1388. [source: The House of Commons, 1386-1421].
The arms of Waleys (Walles, Wallis, Wallace) of Ipswich in Suffolk are also cited as "Gules, a fess Ermine [source: East Anglian, or, Notes and queries on subjects connected with the counties of Suffolk..., v. 6-7. 1897]. Robert Waleys was bailiff of Ipswich in 1385-86.
Additional Suffolk Records
- Toward the end of Stephen's reign (mid 12th century), Robert le Waleis sold all his land in Wrabethona (Wrabton, in Yoxford) and Peasenhall, co. Suffolk, to Sibton Abbey, which John the sheriff had given him, and with the assent of his lord, William son of Robert the sheriff (i.e. William de Chesney, the founder). Alice the wife of Robert le Waleis is mentioned in another charter relate to Sibton Abbey. [source: Sibton Abbey Cartularies and Charters, III, no. 477, p. 7; and The Publications of the Pipe Roll Society, v. 74, 1962]
- Ranulf le Waleis had succeeded his father, Robert, by the time of Henry II 's confirmation charter of c. 1169-1187 (probably the 1180s), where Ranulf is mentioned in a grant of land in Wrabton. Cal. Charter Rolls, 1257-1300, 95. [source: The Publications of the Pipe Roll Society, v. 74, 1962; and Sibton Abbey cartularies and charters, 1988]
- Circa 1193 is a charter of confirmation (final concord) between Ranulf son and heir of Robert Walensis and Sibton Abbey. [source: The Publications of the Pipe Roll Society, v. 74, 1962]
- Charters related to Sibton Abbey mention children of Ranulf le Waleis (above), including Roger, Robert, Henry, and Alexandra. [source: Sibton Abbey cartularies and charters, 1988]
- Circa 1225, Ralph Walensis and his wife Isabella are in dispute with Benedict, Bishop of Rochester, over property in Frekenham. [source: A Calendar of the Feet of Fines for Suffolk, 1900]
- About 1225, Alice and Katherine (and Matilda), daughters of William le Waleys were in dispute with William le Bretun concerning property in Burgate. [source: ibid.]
- Circa 1234, Roger le Waleis against Roger Huntteman for property in Sibeton. [source: ibid.]
- Circa 1234, Walter de Hekham and Matilda his wife, Katherine and Alice his sisters Matilda versus Thomas de Geddinges regarding property in Wrthham. [source: ibid.]
- About 1240, Alice and Katherine, daughters of William le Waleys are in dispute with Thomas de Geddinge regarding property in Wrthham. At the same time, Katherine le Walesche and Alice her sister are in dispute with Roger Briton regarding property in Wortham. [source: ibid.]
- About 1271, Hugh le Waleys is mentioned in a feet of fine concerning property in Wrentham. [source: ibid.]
- About 1304, William le Waleys de Wrydelington is mentioned in a fine regading property in Wrydelington. [source: ibid.] In the same timeframe William le Waleys of Wrydlington (Wridelington) is mentioned in fines concerning property in Snaylwell in Cambridge. [source: Ingulf and the Historia Croylandensis]
- Circa 1325, Roger le Walsh and Sarah his wife mentioned in a fine concerning property in Cotton. [source: A Calendar of the Feet of Fines for Suffolk, 1900]
- About 1325, David le Waleys of Hadenham in dispute over property of the manor of Tuddenham. About 1341, David le Waleys of Hadenham and Margaret his wife in dispute over property in Todenham juxta Ipswich. [source: ibid.]
- About 1338, Augustinus le Waleys of Woxebrigg is in dispute of the honor of the manor of Brandeston halle with appurtenances. Historians also refer to him Augustine de Uxbridge, likely a son of Henry le Waleys who was mayor of London. [source: ibid.]
- In an inquisition of 1346, for the hundred of Babere, Suffolk, where Richard le Walshe was a juror, Augustine le Waleys is noted holding a fee at Waldyngfeld Magna. [source: Inquisitions and Assessments Relating to Feudal Aids]
- Circa 1364, Ralph de Walsh is in dispute over a moiety of the manor and advowson of church of Lyteleshale of Euston.
[source: A Calendar of the Feet of Fines for Suffolk, 1900]
Circa 1377, Robert Waleys of Ipswich &c. are mentioned in a fine regarding properties, including those in Todenham. [source: ibid.]
Additional Kent Records
- Circa 1422-23, William Waleys, citizen of London, granted to John Cowngherst of Lees Grene, a messuage with a garden on Lees Grene, co. Kent. [source: A Descriptive Catalogue of Ancient Deeds, v. 3, 1900]
- About 1434, Simon Walsshe of Crey St. Mary's and Margaret his wife received lands and tenements in Chellesfeld and Strode and elsewhere in Kent, lately had of the demise of William Swetyng of Horton by Dereford, with remainder to Richard Walsshe, son of the said Simon. [source: A Descriptive Catalogue of Ancient Deeds in the Public Record Office, v. 3, 1900]
- Circa 1448-49 is a grant by Alice Tropenell, widow, late of Thomas Tropenell of a messuage and a garden in Edulmesbrigge, with remainder to her son Robert, and in fee to Walter Waleys her kinsman, son and heir of her brother William Waleys of Coodham. [source: A Descriptive Catalogue of Ancient Deeds, v. 3, 1900]
- In 5 Edward IV (1465-66) is a grant by Richard Walsch of Saynte Mary Craye, to Simon Bery, of all the lands &c. in Chellesfeld and Strode, or elsewhere in co. Kent, which he inherited after the death of Simon Walsch, his father [source: A Descriptive Catalogue of Ancient Deeds, v. 3, 1900].
The last will of Richard Walsh, of Saint Mary Cray, co. Kent, was proven in the prerogative court of Canterbury in 1465. [The Index Library, v. 11, 1895]
- The last will of Walter Walshe, of east Peckham, co. Kent, was proven in the prerogative court of Canterbury in 1516. [The Index Library, v. 11, 1895]
From an Index of wills in West Kent to 1650:
Walsh George (Walshe), Tudeley, 1474d |R 4.149 | m;
Walsh John, North Cray; Foots Cray, 1499d |R 5.320 | m; 1499pa - 5*.55
Walsh Patrick (Walsch), Strood, 1491pa |R 5*.23 | m;
Walsh Richard (Walssh), Tonbridge, 1461p |R 2.192 | m; dated 39 H.vi
Walsh Richard (Sir) (Walsch), Stoke, 1505d |R 6.175 | vicar of Stoke; 1505pa - 6*.22
Walsh Thomas, Tudeley, 1460pd |R 2.170 | m;
Walsh William (Walsshe), Higham, 1458d |R 2.119 | m;
- In 32 Henry III (ca. 1248) is a Surrey feet of fine between Richard de Clare Earl of Gloucester by Richard le Waleys versus Ymbert the Prior of Bermundesey by brother Henry de North his Monk, touching a tenement in Camerwell. [source: Pedes finium: or, Fines relating to the county of Surrey, v. 1, 1894]
- The advowson of Bletchingley, Surrey was connected with the families of Winter, Coventry, Walsh and Elmbridge. Gilbert de Clare granted to Magister John Cemetar of "Blaschingel" (Bletchingley) land which he held of the gift of Richard Walensis "the Welshman". Amongst the burgesses of Bletchingley were William le Welsh or Westal in 1298.
- In 7 Richard II (ca. 1383-84), Will. Waleys was sheriff of Surrey and Sussex. [sources: The History of the Worthies of England, by Thomas Fuller; and The history of Chichester, by Alexander Hay]
- Quitclaim of Gilbert le Waleys son and heir of William le Waleys granted to God and the church of St. Peter of the Monastery of Chertsey and to the lord Alan Abbot and the Convent of the same place concerning 22s. 11 1/2d of yearly rent to be received of his tenements in Epsom. [source: Surrey Record Society, v. 12, pt. 2, 1958]
- In the Surrey Roll of Arms, temp. Richard II, Thomas Walshe bore, "Gules, two gemelles surmounted of a bendlet all Argent," resembling those of the Leicester branch. In the same roll, John Walsh is said to have borne "Argent, a chevron between three fleurs-de-lys Sable." [source: Some Feudal Coats of Arms from Heraldic Rolls 1298-1418, by Joseph Foster, 1902]
- In 43 Edward III (ca. 1370) is a Surrey feet of fine between John fil' Thomas Coumbe of Reygate versus William Waleys and his wife Agnes, touching a tenement in Reygate. [source: Pedes finium: or, Fines relating to the county of Surrey, v. 1, 1894]
- In 4 Edward VI (circa 1551), is a conveyance of the manor of Morden by Anthony Porter to John Walshe. [source: Bibliotheca Phillippica, by Thomas Phillipps, 1903]
- An undated record in the court of the chancery cites, Johanne, late the wife of James Walsh, daughter of James a Byne. v. Robert Bardsey, feoffee to the use of the said James.: Lands, &c. in Ewhurst (Iwerst) and Ockley (Okeley) late of William Walsh, father of the said James.: Surrey.
And again from the same record, Richard, son and heir of James Walshe, of Ewhurst. v. John Couper and William Gardyner, of Rusper.: Detention of deeds relating to lands late of the said James in Ewhurst, Ockley, and Abinger.: Surrey.
In the court of chancery in the time of Henry VII or VIII, is a feet of fine between Richard Walshe and John Dendy, concerning the manor of Conyhurst and lands in Ockley, Ewhurst, and Abinger, co. Surrey. [source: Lists and Indexes, no. 21, 1906]
Hampshire and Wiltshire
- The records of Selborne Priory (co. Hampshire) provide a glimpse of an early Walensis family, starting with Henry Walensis of Theddene who is mentioned in a document dated 1194. Between 1220-1230 is mention of his apparent son, John de Thedene son of Henry Walensis of Thedene. Next a Richard, son of John Walensis of Thedene is mentioned in 1258, and again as Richard le Walays of Thetdene circa 1260 and circa 1270. And between 1270-80, and again in 1278, John Walensis, son of Richard of Thenden is mentioned. The last to be mentioned is Alice le Walays of Thendene sometime during the 1280s. [Calendar of Charters and Documents Relating to Selborne and Its Priory, v. 4, pt. 2, 1894 ]
- The arms of Walshe (Walsh or Welsh) at Old Basing, co. Hampshire, are described as "Azure, six martlets Or, three, two and one." These are thought to date from the 16th century or later. [source: Burke's General Armory?]
- John Walsh (Walensis) was elected Abbot of Malmesbury, co. Wiltshire in 1222. [source: A History of Wiltshire, v. 3, 1999]
- "Ermine, a bend gules" is cited as the arms of Walles or Walleys of co. Dorset, and Trowbridge, co. Wiltshire. A variant of this blazon, which also included "a pheon in canton or," is said to be for Wallis, Healing, near Grimsby, co. Lincoln, derived through Wallis of Trowbridge and Grovely, co. Wilts., from Henry Wallis, Lord Mayor of London in the 13th century. [source: An alphabetical dictionary of coats of arms belonging to families in Great Britain and Ireland, v. 2; 1874; Papworth, et al].
Augustine le Waleys was a citizen of London and a descendant of Henry Wallis merchant and mayor of London in the reign of Edward I. Augustine held land at Orpington in Kent and died in 1354. His relationship to the Waleys of Glynde is unknown. [source: The Glynde Place archives]
A John Walles (Waleys) of Trowbrydge, Wilts. died circa 1547. A Thomas Wallis (Waleys) of Trowbridge, Wilts. died circa 1558. [source: Wills Proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury]
Ermine, a bend Gules appear at the church at Trowbridge, co. Wiltshire, attributed to Henry Wallis, obit. 1629. [source: The Wiltshire archæological and natural history magazine, v. 23-24, 1887]
Henry Wallis of Trowbridge, esquire, was Sheriff of Wiltshire in 1690 [source: Lists and Indexes, v. 8, 1897]
- In 1202, Henry Cobbing and Maud (Matillis) his wife demanded against Adam Walensem her reasonable dower, to wit, the third part of four bovates of land wit the appurtenances in Normantona (Normanton), of the gift of Roger Walensis, late husband of the same Maud ; and they were brought into concord (concordats fuerunt) to the effect that the aforesaid Adam has granted to the aforesaid Henry and Maud one bovate of land of the aforesaid four bovates in the aforesaid vill. [source: Assize Roll, no. 478, Final concords of the county of Lincoln, v. 17, 1920]
- On Wednesday, St. Andrew's day (30 Nov., 1384), John Walsh of Grimsby (descended from the noble family of St. Walerie) fought in a duel at Westminster with Martlet de Villeneuve, an esquire of Navarre, in the presence of King Richard and the good Duke John of Lancaster. And John slew his adversary, and on the king's orders was made a knight, and enriched with many gifts, both by the king and the duke, and by other great men of the realm. [Knighton's Chronicle 1337-1396]
- Walsh of Lincolnshire - In 1396, in the reign of Richard II, John Walsh of Grimsby (knight) is cited as Sheriff of Lincolnshire. [source: The History of Lincoln; Drury and Sons, 1816]
- Thomas Walsh was a sheriff of Lincoln in 1404. Robertus Walsh is listed among the member of Parliament for the city of Lincoln from 1421-22, and again from 1424-34. [source: The History of Lincoln; Drury and Sons, 1816]
- "Ermine, a bend gules" are described as the arms of Walles or Walleys of co. Dorset, and Trowbridge, co. Wiltshire. A variant of this blazon, which also included "a pheon in canton or," is said to be for Wallis, Healing, near Grimsby, co. Lincoln, derived through Wallis of Trowbridge and Grovely, co. Wilts., from Henry Wallis, Lord Mayor of London in the 13th century. [source: An alphabetical dictionary of coats of arms belonging to families in Great Britain and Ireland, v. 2; 1874; Papworth, et al].
In June 1438 is a grant, for life, to John Walssh, groom of the kitchen, of the office of 'waterbailly' of Grymmesby, co. Lincoln, to hold himself or by deputy, with the accustomed wages, fees and profits. [source: Calendar of the Patent Rolls]
- The pedigree of 'Walsh of Grimblethorpe' starts with Henry Walsh who married Elizabeth Lomax, heiress of Grimblethorpe, the late 17th century. Among their descendants included Henry Lomax Walsh. [source: Lincolnshire pedigrees; by Arthur Roland Maddison, Arthur Stauton Larken]
- Among the Lincolnshire pedigrees is 'Wallis of Nun Ormsby,' beginning with Thomas Wallis who died about 1659. The arms of this family included "Gules, a fess Ermine," the same as the arms of Waleys of Sussex and Suffolk. [source: Lincolnshire pedigrees; by Arthur Roland Maddison, Arthur Stauton Larken]
Gloucestershire, and Little Sodbury, Gloucestershire
The Gloucestershire history at Winterbourne begins in the 12th century with Richard le Waleys.
The history of a Walsh or Welsh family who held the manor of Woolstrop in Quedgeley, Gloucestershire begins perhaps in the 12th century, They also held knights' fees in Llanwern and Dinham (Monmouthshire) in South Wales [sources: V.C.H. Gloucs., x. 218; Gloucs. Inqs. post Mortem, v, 226-7]. Their arms closely resemble those of the Somerset family. Christopher Welsh, esquire, who was High Sheriff of Monmouthshire in 1569 and 1576, was the last of the family who held Dinham and Llanwern, and whose arms are described as "Ermine, a bend Sable."
In the early 16th century, Sir John Walshe at Little Sodbury Manor, co. Gloucester, was a famous warrior who had been knighted as the king's champion at the coronation of Henry VIII. John and Lady Anne Walshe were the masters of Little Sodbury, the estate where William Tyndale, who later translated the Bible into English, worked for two years (circa 1521) after leaving Cambridge, probably as a tutor to their two young sons. They were known in the region for their hospitality to both nobility and clergy; it was at their table that Tyndale challenged a visiting cleric, "If God grant me life, ere many years pass I will see that the boy behind his plow knows more of the Scriptures than thou dost!" Exposed to reformation thinking by Tyndale, the Walshes gave him money to support himself in Europe, and later made efforts to get him released from Vilvoorde prison.
- The arms of Azure, six mullets Or, three, two, one were borne by Walshe of Little Sodbury, Gloucester, while the same (or similar) blazon was borne by those of Cathanger, Somerset.
- The arms "Azure, six mullets Or, three, two, one," were also borne by Richard Welshe of Pilton (Devonshire), who died in 1551.
- The arms of Walsh of Mansell Lacy, co. Hereford are described as "Azure, six mullets Or, three, two, one, a crescent on a crescent for difference," and they appear to have descended from the same family as that of Little Sodbury, Gloucester. [source: The visitation of Herefordshire, 1634]
Worcestershire and Warwickshire
The lords of Worcester for centuries were the Beauchamps, earls of Warwick. They were the heirs of Urso d'Abbetot, placed there by William the Conqueror. Philip of Worcester, who had large possessions in Ireland in Tipperary and Waterford, was succeeded by his nephew William, son of Walter d'Abbetot, no doubt a branch of the same family. There must have been some connection between them and these Worcester Walshs, for the Beauchamp who was sheriff of Worcester in 7 Edward II had for arms the "fess between six martlets", always recognized there as the arms of Walsh. Whether these Walshs were associated in Ireland with the Abbetots there is nothing to show, beyond the fact that there were Walshs in the same territory. [source: Walsh 1170-1690, J. C. Walsh)
Other early possessions in England were in Worcester, at Abberley and Sheldesley (Shelsley), and branches of this family spread over into Warwickshire. The Worcester history is said to start with a Henry, in the time of Henry III, although an ealrier John appears as well. The Walsh arms at Sheldesley are described as Argent, a fess between six martlets, Sable.
Descendants of this family were Thomas Walsh, chief baron of the exchequer, who went to Ireland in Henry VIII's time. Thomas became lord of Stockton in Worcester, where the monument of his son Thomas rests at the church there. His brother Walter (Welshe) was of Henry VII's household, and it was he who arrested Cardinal Wolsey (c. 1530). William Walsh (1663-1708) the poet-critic, and friend of Alexander Pope, was of the same family. One may suspect that Thomas Walsh installed some of his family in Ireland as all other important English officials did. The arms of the family are very similar to those of Walsh of Ballykilcavan in Queens County Ireland, as well as Philip of Wigorn (Worcester), "a fess between six martlets".
And yet we cannot assume that the Ballykilcavan family of Walsh began in Ireland in Henry VIII's time, for these arms are credited to the Henry Walsh of Sheldelly (Shelsley-Walsh) in the time of Henry III. [source: Walsh 1170-1690, J. C. Walsh)
Henry VIII, granted Abberley Manor to his Groom of the King's Chamber, Walter Walsh, whose family lived at nearby Shelsley. The Walshes held Abberley for over 175 years, but not without interruption. Queen Elizabeth I took it away to give to a favourite, but after a law suit it was restored to the Walshes. Joseph Walsh fought on the Royalist side at the Battle of Worcester on September 3rd, 1651 and later suffered imprisonment for his loyalty to the Crown. In the 18th century, Abberley Manor had some literary connections. It was visited by the poet Pope at the invitation of William Walsh, and also visited by Joseph Addison who often stayed there. A walk lined with yews behind the present building is still known as 'Addison's Walk'. [sources: various; including Abberley Manor, Worcestershire: Notes on its History, by John Lewis Moilliet, 1905]
There are apparent connections between the Walsh family of Shelsey-Walsh, co. Worcester and those of the Walshe family of Meriden, alias Alspath, co. Warwickshire, where the manor house became know as Walsh Hall. Additional connections are suggested for the Walshe family of Wanlip, co. Leicester.
The arms of a Walsh family at Horeham in Sussex (and elsewhere in Sussex) are cited as Argent a fess between six martlets, Sable, the same as those of Shelsley Walsh, Worcester.
The Barons Ormathwaite (co. Cumberland) bore as arms, argent a fesse sable, cottised, wavy, gules, between six martlets of the second. It was Sir John Walsh, baron Ormathwaite (in the 19th century), who repaired at his cost the ancient heraldic monuments of the Walsh family in the churches of Stockton and Shellesley Walsh, Worcestershire. Given this fact, and the similarity in their blazons, there seems a direct connection between the barons Ormathwaite and the ancient family of Walsh at Shelsley Walsh, Worcester.
At the Church of Crondall, in co. Hampshire, is a shield of arms which contains the arms of Walshe, "Argent, (a fess between) six martlets Sable, 3, 2, 1." [source: Collectanea Topographica Et Genealogica]
A record of 1247 mentions Robert le Waleys who held land at Wollaston, Northamptonshire. He rendered 100s. yearly service in addition to knight's service. He seems to be the same as Robert the son of Ralf who obtained the manor of Wollaston by fine of November 1223, and who died by 1246. [Calendar of Inquisitions Post Mortem; and Honors and Knights; Fees, by William Farrer; and The Victoria History of the County of Northampton]
In 1284, William de Walleys is described as 'tenet villas de Lilburne and Cleycotes' held in the service of William le Botyler. [source: Inquisitions and Assessments Relating to Feudal Aids]
Maud de Esseby conveyed her share of the lordship of Lilbourne, Northampton (near the Leicester border), to William de Waleys (later found as lord of Empingham, co. Rutland) who in 24 Edward I (1296) was certified to hold the township of Lillburne and Cley Cotes of William de Boytler, by the service of one knight's fee. The part of the lordship possessed by William Waleys passed to his son, grandson, and great grand-daughter, who, in conjunction with her husband Robert de Heygate, granted it to Robert de Holland and Maud his wife, who were in possession of it in 1330.
[source: History, topography, and directory of Northamptonshire, 2nd edition, 1874]
Sir William le Waleys was commander of gaol delivery in Leicester in 1285. He was later overlord at Empingham, Rutland. He does not seem to have been the Sir William whose arms are given as "Argent, a fess between 6 martlets Sable." (St. George Roll). [source: Knights of Edward I, by Charles Moor]
In 1316, the heirs of William Waleys of the fee of Peverel held 2 carucates in Empingham, with the hamlet of Hardwick (which was a little manor of Thomas de Normanvill). [source: Honors and Knights' Fees, by William Farrer]
Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire
But the "Waleys" were not restricted to these southern counties, for there is a document in which Sir Stephen Waleys claimed, in 17 Edward I (c. 1288), that "his ancestors were seised from the time of King John" of lands at Sibthorpe in Nottingham. Here the chief family name was Richard, with an occasional Stephen. They were closely allied to the de Lacys of Lincoln and Warwick, to the Fitz-Williams, who gave them large possessions when a daughter married Richard of Burgh Walleis, and most of all to the Burkes of the Eustace branch, who had large possessions in the north. The
Parliamentary Roll gives the arms of Sir Richard Walleis, a "grand seignor," as "quarterly argent and gules, a bend or." The St. Georges' Roll gives the same arms to Stephen le Waleys (Stevene le Waleis).
while those of
Eustace de Burgh were "quarterly Or and Gules, a bend Sable."
The names Stephen, Henry, Alicia and Ralph appear in the Yorkshire branch of this family up to 1378. It seems very probable that this is the same family that was identified with the Burkes of Tipperary, one of whom was urged to capture Mortimer in Ireland. He was actually caught in Nottingham. The Harleian collection contains a long Walsh pedigree, beginning with, perhaps, the first Richard and continuing through a long line of Richards, followed by several Johns. One of the first would be the "Ricardus Walensis" who had gifts from King John, whom he accompanied to Ireland in 1210.
On January 26, 1318, there was an order to deliver to Richard le Waleys and Eleanor, his wife, late the wife of Robert de Brus (Bruce), tenant in chief
of the late king (Edward I), certain lands which "came to the king on his death and were held by the late and present king (Edward II) by the forfeiture of Robert, son and heir of Robert (Bruce)." Eleanor was allowed as dowry lands in several counties in England. Then in 1327 there is a record that King Edward III, in his first year, cancelled a fine of 2,000 marks imposed by Edward II on Richard (Le Waleys) "to save his life and have his lands again because he was of the quarrel of Thomas, late Earl of Lancaster." And in 1332 there is a note that Eleanor, Richard's wife, having died in the previous reign, Edward II took her hands and gave them to Humphrey de Bohun (being angry with Richard).
This certainly looks like the same Richard who was in Ireland in 1318 and 1323, and of the same family as the Richard of 1346. If so how long had
they been there, and what was their affiliation with the other Walshs there? [source: Walsh 1170-1690; J. C. Walsh]
At least some of the commentary by J.C. Walsh (above) relates to the family of Burgh Waleys, or Burgh Wallis, Yorkshire. Their family pedigree begins with a Henry who was granted a charter by Henry II. This was confirmed in the testimony of a descendant, Sir Stephen le Waleys of Burghwaleys, who produced the charter of Henry II when questioned about his rights of his claimed to have free warren in Hilton and Helagh, Yorkshire.
Additional Yorkshire Records
- Circa 1284-85, John le Waleys held 3 carucates in Munketon, of the fee of Paynill. [source: The survey of the county of York, taken by John de Kirkby]
- In 1302 William le Waleys of Munketon acknowledges that he owes to John Rayner, citizen of York, 7l. ; to be levied, in default of payment, of his lands and chattels in co. York. [source: Calendar of the Close Rolls 1302-1307, v. 5, 1906]
Additional Nottinghamshire Records
- Circa 1310, Peter Waleys of Honedeyn quit claims to William Asseballock of Newerk all his rights in one plot in Newerk, lying in Beumund... [source; Calendar of charters and rolls preserved in the Bodleian library]
- In 1351-52, a John Waleys was sheriff, and escheator, of Nottingham. In 1352, John Waleys, knight, was granted the manor of Thurmeton (Thrumpton), Nottingham, by the prior of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem, in exchange for the manor of Dalby, co. Leicester, neither of which were held of the king. [source: Calendar of the Patent Rolls]
- In 1537, Thomas Wales was Sheriff of Nottingham Town. In 1561, Richard Walshe was Sheriff of Nottingham Town. [source: Lists and Indexes, v. 8, 1897]
Walshe of Leicestershire
Walshe of Colby, Norfolk
le Waleys and Walsh of Lancashire
Walsh of Ormathwaite, Cumberland
Walsh of Berkshire
- From the list of tenants of Betley, Staffordshire, dated for the year 1298, comes the name John le Walshe whose relative holdings were valued at 2 s. 9d.
- In the Subsidy Roll 6 Ed III (1332/3) for the taxation of Staffordshire, at Betteley, a Will'o le Walshe is listed (xvj d.)
- About 1334, William son of Ralph le Walshe of Woolstanton is pardoned by the King because of his good service rendered in the present war. [source: Collections for a history of Staffordshire]
- In 1338-39, Robert de Walsh, de Landogh, grants to John, his brother, land, etc., in Milwich (co. Stafford), as free as Sir Rob. de Grendon, his grandfather (by marriage?), formerly held them. [source: Collections for a History of Staffordshire]
- About 1376, is a release by Robert Walsch son and heir of John Walsch, to Sir Hugh, earl of Stafford, of his right to lands, tenements, rents, &c., called 'Geryngshalgh,' lately called 'Grendoneshalle' in Melewich (Milwich) co. Stafford, and also of other lands, all formerly his father's.
- About 1376, is a release by John Payn of Brustol and Christina his wife, to Sir Hugh, earl of Stafford, of their right to lands called 'Gerynghalgh,' lately called 'Grendoneshalle' in Melewych, co. Stafford, the property of her late husband, John Walshe, and to other lands also her late husband's. [source: A descriptive catalogue of ancient deeds in the Public Record Office, v. 2, 1894]
- In the latter 15th century there is record of a marriage between Ellen Walshe and William Lyttleton, Lord of Franklyn Manor, at Franklyn, Staffordshire. Ellen is noted of the Walshe family of Wanlip, Leicestershire.
- The arms of Walleys of Alep (Aulep), co. Stafford, and also Welshe of co. Gloucester, are described as "gules, four bars gemel, argent a bend of the last." [The general armory of England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales, by Bernard Burke, 1864]
The arms of Walleys of Alep, co. Gloucester, are described as "gules, four bars gemel, and a bend argent." [An alphabetical dictionary of coats of arms belonging to families in Great Britain and Ireland, v. 1, 1874]
Note: both of the above blazons seem to be a variant of the arms of the family of Anlep (Wanlip), co. Leicestershire.
- Roger Walensis (the Welshman) was a tenant of the Fitz-Alans of Salop in 1165. [source: Liber Niger]
- Richard le Waleys held in Shropshire of William (II) fitz Alan in 1166. He is said to be the ancestor of Sir William (Waleys) Wallace, the Scottish hero. [Scotland's Historic Heraldry, by Bruce A. McAndrew]
- In the Assizes of 1203 for Pusselawe (Purslow) Hundred, Salop, Ricardus Walensis 'fugit pro morte Rogeri filli Rogeri, et malecreditur de morte.' The Hundred of Posselawe was held of the King by John fitz Alan in 1255. [source: Antiquities of Shropshire By Robert William Eyton]
- In 1240, Edith de Remesle sued Geoffrey le Poer for disseizing her of a third part of a virgate in Remesle (Romsley, co. Salop). Geoffrey alleged his feoffment by Richard le Archer and Margery his wife. The jury found that Richard le Waleys, who formerly held the land in fee, made it over to William Bunibrok, and that John, son and heir of Richard le Waleys, continued that arrangement; and that on John's death, his three sisters and heirs gave the land to Richard le Archer and Margery his wife.
- The le Walshes held lands in Little Sutton, Shropshire. In 1251 Richard Walsh (Walensis) held rent of 12d., of Robert de Sutton. In 1259 Richard son of Roger Buffard sued Richard le Waleys for disseizin in Little Sutton, and later conceded the lands to Richard le Waleys. Roger le Walse, perhaps of Richard's family, occurs on a Sutton jury in 1306. [source: Transactions, by the Shropshire Archaeological Society, 1892; and Antiquities of Shropshire, v. 5, 1857]
- John le Walsh (le Walshe) was bailiff of Shrewsbury for the years 1326-27, 1333 and 1342. [source: A History of Shrewsbury, by Hugh Owen]
- In 1340-41 John le Walshe of Shrewsbury to grant land in Hopton by Hodnet, retaining a messuage and land in le Forgate by Shrewsbury, co. Salop.
[source: Lists and Indexes, no. 17, 1904]
- A rough description of the engraving of the brass for Simon Walshe and wife Joan, ca. 1360-70, is given by Owen and Blakeway, vol. ii, p. 288. This is located at Shrewsbury, St. Alkmind. "A rich brass, in the middle of the aisle, of a man and woman under two niches. He in a coat to his knees, and short cloak, with a beast at his feet, and the inscription on a plate of brass fixed on a large marble."
Walensis (de Hooton) of Cheshire
- In the reign of King John (or King Richard I), Hooton was obtained in marriage by Randle Walensis, or as he is otherwise called from the name of the place, Randle (Randulf) de Hoten. [source: Views of the seats of noblemen and gentlemen, in England, Wales, Scotland]
- The ancient family of Walensis de Hooton (the predecessors of the Stanleys of Hooton) appear at one time to have borne the arms of "on a bend three chess-rooks of the filed." (see Ormerod's Cheshire). [source: Memoir and literary remains of Lieutenant-General Sir Henry Edward Bunbury]
- Thomas, the son of Randle, releases his right in Hotone, which was the inheritance of his mother, to Richard his brother.
[source: The history of the hundred of Wirral, by William Williams Mortimer]
- A Richard Walensis received a grant of Hooton from his brother Thomas between 1208 and 1229 (Orm. ii. 410), and was probably the Richard who gave 4 oxgangs there to his son Randulf c. 1238 (Journ. Chester Arch. Soc. NS xp 200). [source: The chartulary or register of the abbey of St. Werburgh, Chester, v,. 82, 1923]
- Grant by Richard Walsh of Hooton to his daughter Isoult of 2 oxgangs in Eastham which he held of the abbot. [source: The chartulary or register of the abbey of St. Werburgh, Chester]
- Grant by Richard Walensis to Isuede, his daughter by Avicia, his wife, of land held of the abbot and convent of St. Werburgh, Chester. [source: Hand-list of charters, deeds, and similar documents in the possession of the John Rylands library, v. 2, 1925]
By a deed dated 34 Henry III (1249-50), Margaret, late wife of Hamo Lestrange, chivaler, admitted that Henry de Hoton held the manor of Hoton (Hooton, co. Chester) by her and her heirs by military service. Margaret may have been wife first of Randle Walensis and then of Hamo Lestrange. The Hootons' ancestors were called "le Waleys" or "Walensis," and Randle Walensis married some lady who inherited Hooton of land there. [source: Notes and Queries, v. 165, by Oxford University Press, 1933]
- Adam le Waleys of Hooton 1284 [source: The place-names of Cheshire, v.2, 1981]
- In 1287 is a grant by Adam, called Le Waleys, of Hoton to Henry, son of William Le Waleys, his brother. Wtinesses: Roberto le Grosvenur', vicecomte de Cestresire, Roberto de Pulle, Alexandro de Baumvile, Hugone de Berlistona, Jacobo de Pulle, Walter, clarico de Estham et aliis. This deed comes from a small box with a label, C. Saughale and Rowshotwyke. [source: Hand-list of Charters, Deeds, and Similar Documents]
- Grant by Adam de Hoton son of Richard Walsh (Walensis) to Agnes, the wife of John le Bole, and Henry the son of Agnes, and the heirs of the said Henry, all lands etc. with appurtenances, which grantor had in Cherleton in Wyrhale by the gift of Thomas de Cruwe. [source: Transactions of the Historic Society of Lancashire and Cheshire, v. 105, 1954]
- William Wallensis de Hooton married Margery (temp. Edward II or III), daughter of Richard de Aston and Amabilla de Rode. [source: The coucher book, or chartulary, of Whalley Abbey, v. 11, 1847]
- Sir William de Hooton, of Hooton-in-Wirral, died in 1396, when Sir William Stanley entered upon possession of his lands, and removed from Storeton to the more stately house of Hooton. [source: County families of Lancashire and Cheshire]
- Margery, only daughter of William de Hoton, married William de Stanley, and the manor (of Hooton) was conveyed to them 16 Richard II (1377-1399).
[source: The history of the hundred of Wirral, by William Williams Mortimer]
Noted in Charles' Roll of Arms is a Henry le Waleys (Henri le Waleis) with "Gules a fess Sable."
St. George's Roll of Arms (E303) cites a Henry le Waleys (Henri le Waleis) with "Barry of six argent and azure, a bend gules."
The arms of Henry le Waleys (Wallis), the mayor of London in the late 13th century, are given as "Barry of twelve argent and azure, a bend gules" ((MS. Harl. 1049, f. 26.). [source: Croniques de London - The French Chronicle of London, v. 28, 1844]
The Herald's Roll of Arms (E303) cites a William le Waleys with "Barry of twelve argent and azure, a saltire gules."
"It is to be remembered that the Anglo-Irish families had possessions in England, and that the influence of one upon the other is almost impossible
to trace, although at times it may have been important. What is to be noted is that the typical names, Richard, Robert, Walter and Henry, were constant
with the English as well as with the Irish Walshs, a pretty certain indication of a common origin."
Excerpt from "The Lament for John MacWalter Walsh" by J.C. Walsh
Coats of Arms
Walsh (Walshe, Welsh, Welch) gentry in England have been
recorded in Burke's General Armory including those of Berkshire,
Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, Cumberland (Ormathwaite), Hereford
(Wormesley), Leicestershire, Norfolk (Colbye), Staffordshire, and other
points of origin. Facsimiles of some of these Arms may be viewed
at the Walsh Coat of Arms web page.
A Walsh Connection to the Prince of Wales
"In 1779, Mr. George Carpenter of Redbourn in Hertfordshire (writes Sir
Anthony Wagner, ex-Garter King of Arms, in his English Genealogy) had the
plumber down from London to repair the roof of his house. With the plumber
came his daughter, and both remained at Redbourn for some time. Mary
Elizabeth Walsh, the daughter, was then eighteen years of age and Mr.
Carpenter upwards of 60, yet notwithstanding the disparity of their ages
and positions, he married her. Their daughter (Mary Elizabeth Louisa Carpenter)
married the 11th Earl of Strathmore (Thomas Lyon-Bowes), the Queen
Mother's (Elizabeth II) great great-grandfather. The Prince of
Wales is thus eighth in descent from that plumber, John Walsh"
This is from the book, "Charles: A Biography by Anthony Holden, 1989,
Toronto, McClelland and Stewart.
Contributed by Gail Walsh -- firstname.lastname@example.org
An addition to the story above includes the marriage of Charlotte Sarah Jane
Walsh, daughter of Frederick Walsh of Redbourn (sister of Mary Elizabeth Walsh above),
who married Joseph Valentine Grinstead. Their daughter Charlotte Grinstead
(or Grimstead) married Thomas George Bowes-Lyon, Lord Glamis, in 1820. A
son of Thomas and Charlotte was the 13th Earl of Strathmore (Claude Bowes-Lyon),
the Queen Mother's great-grandfather.
Further reference to the Early Name
In England the proud name of Walsh was first recorded in the Rotuli Hundredorum of Cambridge in the year 1279, as the name of Rose la Walesche, and was also mentioned in the Subsidy Rolls of Suffolk as the name John le Walche, who was taxed at the rate of four shillings in the pound on his land, and two shillings and eight pence in the pound on his goods, in the year 1327. The name Walsh comes from the Old English word waelisc and can be translated as 'the foreigner', a name given to anyone from the Celtic areas of Britain.
[source: site: http://members.tripod.com/annfarr/walsh.htm]
A Mayor of London
One of the early Lord Mayors of London was Henry le Waleys who was elected in 1273, and again in 1281 for a second term, and again
elected in 1298 for a third term. His descendant included William Wallis, Esq., of Trowbridge and Grovelly, co. Wiltshire.
Welsh family of Launceston
The Welsh family of Launceston (17th century-19th century), Cornwall; of North Tamerton, Cornwall; of Otterham, Cornwall; and of Whitstone, Cornwall are recorded in the UK National Register of Archives. (http://www.hmc.gov.uk/nra/)
Reference Dates: Kings of England
Stephen - 1135-1154
Henry II - 1154-1189
Richard I - 1189-1199
King John   - 1199 - 1216
Henry III   - 1216-1272
Edward I     - 1272-1307
Edward II   - 1307-1327
Edward III   - 1327-1377
Richard II   - 1377-1399 (deposed)
Henry IV   - 1399-1413
Henry V     - 1413-1422
Henry VI   - 1422-1461, 1470-1471
Edward IV   - 1461-1470, 1471-1483
Edward V   - 1483
Richard III   - 1483-1485
Henry VII   - 1485-1509
Henry VIII   - 1509-1547
Edward VI   - 1547-1553
Lady Jane Grey   - 1553
Queen Mary I   - 1553-1558
Elizabeth I   - 1558-1603
James I     - 1603-1625
Charles I     - 1625-1649
Oliver Cromwell - 1649-1658
Richard Cromwell - 1658-1659/60
Charles II - 1660-1685 (his reign 'backdated' to 1649)
James II - 1685-1688
William III, Mary II - 1689-1702
Queen Anne - 1702-1714
George I - 1714-1727
George II - 1727-1760
George III - 1760-1820
The preceding article was compiled by Dennis J. Walsh, © May, 2009