Early References by County |
Surname Origins |
Coats of Arms
~ ~ Walsh Families of Co. Kilkenny ~ ~
as recorded by Rev. William Carrigan
The Reverend William Carrigan makes the following reference to early Walsh families in County Kilkenny in The History and Antiquities of the Diocese of Ossory, published in 1905.
The Castle of Castlehale
The Castle of Castlehale, for centuries the chief seat of the Walshs, Lords of the Walsh Mountain, stood in Rossenara Demesne, on a plateau looking north, near the summit of the high hill which forms the culminating point of the townland. The site was well chosen, commanding, as it does, an almost boundless view to the north. The place was originally called Lettercorbally, or the Wet Hillside of Corbally ; but this name was afterwards changes to Howelcastle, Castlehowel, Castlehoyle or Castlehale, in Irish pronounced Cushlawn-Hael, when Howel, or Hale, Walsh built the castle here, soon after the Anglo-Norman invasion.
In a London publication, of 1833, entitled, Ireland Illustrated from Original Drawings, by G. Petrie, R.H.A., W. H. Barlett, &c., there is an
engraving, with a short description, of Castlehale, as it stood in ruins, about the middle of the 18th century. The engraving shows it to have formed three sides of a square, one side of which consisted of a lofty, massive, keep, square or oblong, pierced by narrow loop-holes, and supporting an embattled parapet above ; opposite this was a more modern building with high gables, towering chimneys, open casements with frames and architraves of dressed stone and other peculiarities of the Elizabethan style of architecture ; while both were joined together by another Elizabethan building, which formed the third side. The great tower, or keep, was presumably the original structure erected by Howel Walsh ; the later additions may be assigned to Walter Walsh, Lord of the Mountain, who died in 1619, or to Walter Walsh, his grandson and immediate successor, who died about 1652.
There can be little doubt that, in its hey-day, Castlehale was an imposing baronial mansion, and that it deserved to rank, as in fact it did rank, among the chief residences of the Co. Kilkenny. Needless to say, the Walsh Mountain bards have left glowing accounts of its ancient glory and magnificence, of the lavish hospitality practised within its walls, of the protection given by its lords to the persecuted Bishops and clergy of their Church, &c. During the confiscations in the middle of the 17th century, Castlehale castle passed from the Walshs to a Cromwellian named Elias Pike, whom we find duly installed therein in 1659. William Bond paid 6s. hearth money for Castlehoyle, in 1664. Less than a century later on the castle was deserted, and soon became a roofless ruin, in which condition the walls remained till their collapse between 1750 and 1800.
At present (circa 1905) the remains of the castle consist of broken walls -- in part six feet thick, but not more than twelve feet high -- foundations, and mounds of fallen masonry, which cover an area of about one Irish acre. Even as the ancient owners of the castle have passed away, so, too, the name of the castle itself has disappeared from off the map of the Co. Kilkenny. About 1825, a Mr. Morris Reade, who lived in Rossenara, and had a large estate in this locality, finding his old residence not quite up-to-date, built a new one in the townland of Castlehale, to which he subsequently removed. Through veneration of the old family homestead he transferred its name of Rossenara House to the new house in Castlehale ; at the same time he changed the name of the townland of Castlehale itself from Castlehale to Rossenara Demesne, thus obliterating this once well-known item of Kilkenny topography.
The Walshs of the Mountain
With the possible exception of the Brennans, there is none of the old Kilkenny families more numerously represented in Kilkenny county, at the present day, than the Walshs or Brannachs. They are sprung from Philip, a stout Welsh warrior, who, with his brother, David, accompanied Robert Fitz Stephen to Ireland, in 1169, and shared in all the campaigns and perils of the first Anglo-Norman invaders. Having no hereditary surname, a circumstance then of frequent occurrence, Philip received from his contemporaries, the soubriquet of Le Waleis or the Welshman, and this, under the modified form of Walsh, became in after times the surname of his descendants. In Irish the name is written Breatnac which has exactly the same meaning as Le Waleis, viz., the Welshman. In Latin, Breathnach is rendered Brittanicus, Cambrensis and Wallensis ; and, sometimes Valesius. In all Co. Kilkenny, except Iverk, Breatnac is pronounced Bzhannach or Brannach, accent on first syllable ; in Iverk and Co. Waterford, it is pronounced Bernoch or Bertnoch, accent on the last syllable.
There is nothing to connect Philip the Welshman with Kilkenny, though, probably, the lands along the Walsh Mountain, so long held by his descendants, had been originally granted to him. Neither is there any authentic reference to his children or their successors, for nearly two centuries after this time. Geoffry fitz Thomas fitz Nicholas fitz Howel Walshe is the first of the family to appear in Kilkenny records. On the Thursday next after the feast of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist, 1374, he appoints William Crispyn, of Carryk, and Walter Cantwell, his bailiffs, and attorneys, to put James le Botiller, Earl of Ormond, and Elizabeth, his wife, in full seisin of all lands and tenements of the manor and town of Melagh and Cannderstown, (Mealaghmore and Garranmacandrew, otherwise Springmount, parish of Windgap), with all the lands and tenements and all their appurtenances in Ouerke in the Co. Kilkenny, as they are more fully set forth in his charter thereon. The original of this deed is preserved at Kilkenny castle, and is as follows: --
"Pateat universis per presentes me, Galfridum, filium Thome, filii Nicholai, filii Howeli Walshe constituisse &c. Willelmum Crispyn de Carryk et Walterum Cantewell, conjunctim et divisim, meas veras ballivas et attornatos ad ponendum Jacobum le Botiller, Comitem Ermonie, et Elizabeth, uxorem eius in plenariam seisinam omnium terrarum et tenementorum manerii et ville de Melagh et Cannderstoun cum omnibus terris et tenementis et omnibus eorum pertinenciis in Ouerkr, in Comitatu Kilkennie &c., prout in carta mea inde confecta plenius continetur, &. In cuius rei testimonium presentibus sigillum meum apposui. Datum die Jovis proxime post festum Nativitatis Sancti Johannis Baptiste, anno regni Edwardi tercii post conquestum Anglie quadragesimo octavo, regni vero sui ffrancie tricessimo quinto."
Richard fitz Geoffry Walsh, with other local magnates, was appointed Keeper of the Peace for the Co. Kilkenny, July 30th, 1410. He was still living, March 9th, 1446, when he made a grant to the Abbey of Jerpoint of all the messuages, lands, &c., of Cloone, in the (parish of Kilmoganny, and) Barony of Kells, and of Ballycheskin (near the Kyllyne of Howellyscastell, or Castlehale), in the parish of Aghavillar and Barony of Knocktopher, as will appear from the following, the original of which is preserved at Kilkenny castle :
"Sciant presentes et futuri quod ego, Ricardus, filius Galfridi Walshe, dedi, &c. Abbati et conventi domus beate Marie virginis de Jeriponte omnia messuagia, terras et tenementa, redditus et servicia, cum omnibus suis pertinenciis &c. in tenemento de Clonynstollane que vocatur Clone &c. in baronia de Kenlys, [et] in Ballycheskin in baronia de Knocktothyr et in parochia de Aghbillyr prope Kyllyne de Howellyscastell &c. Datum nono die mensis Martii, anno regni Henrici sexti vicessimo quarto."
Edmund Walsh, with his wife, Johanna le Boteller, lies buried within the church of Jerpoint Abbey, underneath the tower, his right of interment there having been acquired, presumably, by the munificent benefaction of Richard fitz Geoffry Walsh, [his father?], to the Abbey in 1446. His monument bears the date 1476. He is made the ancestor of all the Lords of the Mountain, who came after him, in an elaborate, but very unreliable Pedigree of the Walsh Family, drawn up by Peter Walsh, of Balline, Piltown (1774-1819).
Robert Walsh died Dec. 8th, 1501, and is buried with his wife, Katherine Poher (Power), in Jerpoint Abbey, alongside the grave of [his parents?] the above Edmund Walsh and Johanna le Boteller. He was probably the father of Walter Brenagh, or Walsh, of whom presently, and of Honora Brenagh, or Walsh, wife of Sir John Grace, of Courtstown.
Walter Brenagh, or Walsh, "chief captain of his nation," is buried, together with his wife, Katherine Buteller, in the same grave with Robert Walsh, and must be supposed to have been his son. He was still living in 1537, in which year the Jury of Commyners of the Towne of Kilkenny present Walter Brenagh, senr., Edmund, Walter and Richard, his sons, and Walter Brenagh, the younger, with most of the other freeholders of the County of Kilkenny, for charging their tenants coyne and livery. He died before 1549.
Edmund Brenagh his eldest son, succeeded. On the 27th March, 1549, pardons were granted to "Edmund Brenaghe alias Walsh, of Castelhowell, gent, ; and Robert Brenaghe, alias Walshe, of Richestown, Oliver Brenaghe, alias Walshe, of Ballytesken, and Philip Brenaghe, alias Walshe, sons of Edmund [source: Fiants of Ed. VI.]. About 1550, Edmund's lands and those of his kinsmen "houlden of the Mannor of Knocktofer" were valued at £151, an amount exceeded at the time by none of the Co. Kilkenny freeholders except the Earl of Ormond and the Bishop of Ossory.
This Edmund is the first of the family to whom the popular title of "Lord of the Mountain" is found applied, though, no doubt, it had been borne by his ancestors, as it certainly was afterwards by his descendants. It will be remarked that the title is "Lord of the Mountain," and Lord of the Mountains ; for, though the hilly district formerly possessed by the Walshs is now known as "the Walsh Mountains," still the older and better form of the name is "the Walsh Mountain," which latter is also the exact rendering of Shleea-Brannach, its old Irish name. "Baron of Shancaher." said to have been another title of the chiefs of the Walshs, took its origin from a very early residence of the family, now entirely destroyed, in the townland of Sean Chathair, or Oldcourt, near Templeorum, chapel. Bothe these titles of Lord of the Mountain and Baron of Shancaher, are now forgotten in the traditions of the people, and the only title by which any of the old Lords of the Mountain is mentioned to-day, in Irish, in south Kilkenny, is "An Eye-zha Brannach", i.e. the Heir Walsh.
Edmund Brenagh was dead before May, 1550.
Robert Brenagh, his son, became next Lord of the Mountain. On the 12th May, 1550, livery of seisin of the possessions of Edmund Bretnaghe, late of Howelliscastell, Esq., was granted to Robert, his son and heir. Fine £66 13s. 4d. [source: Fiants of Ed. VI.]. He was dead before 1572.
Walter Walsh (who laid aside the Irish form of the name), his son, succeeded, and was Lord of the Mountain for about 50 years. It was not, however, till the 15th Feb., 1605-6, that, as son and heir of Robert Walshe, late of Castlehowell, in the Co. Kilkenny, gent., deceased, he had livery of seisin and pardon of intrusion ; fine £15 2s. 4d. sterling. As "Walter Brenaghe of Castlehele in the Walshe Montayne, gent.," he received pardon, Dec. 23rd, 1571. He was Sheriff of the Co. Kilkenny from 1579 to 1586. In 1610 he figures in Government records as a harbourer of the Popish Priests, Sirs Teige and Donogh O'Hely. He died at a very advanced age, May 19th, 1619. His Caoine, or Lament, has survived almost three centuries, and is still recited in the original Irish on the Walsh Mountain. By his wife, the Lady Ellice Butler (born several years before 1541, still living in 1614), eldest daughter of Richard, 1st Viscount Mountgarret, and grand=daughter of Pierce Ruadh, Earl of Ormond, he had, according to Lodge, five sons, viz. :
(1) Robert, his eldest son and heir, who married, in 1595, Eleanor, daughter of Sir John fitz Edmund Fitzgerald, of Cloyne, Co. Cork, and died at his residence in Ballygown, near Kilmoganny, in 1603, leaving a son and heir, Walter, born in 1601 (and, perhaps, a second son, viz. "Edmund Walsh fitz Robert of Castlehoyle, in the Co. Kilkenny," mentioned in Inquisitiones Lageniae, Co. Kilkenny, 104. Charles I,).
(2) Edmund, his second son, of Castehale, and subsequently of Owning. On the 17th January, 1613-14, he was enfeoffed by his parents, Walter and Ellice, of the townlands of Owning, Kilmanihan, Ballyfeeorck or Springfield, and part of Fanningstown. By his wife, Agnes Butler, he had a son Pierce Walsh of Owning, who married Ellen, daughter of Patrick Fitzgerald, of Gurteen, Co. Kilkenny, and died Aug. 22nd 1637 (buried in Owning Church), leaving the following issue : --
Edmund, eldest son and heir, born 1628, James, William, Peter, Margaret, Onora, and Mary.
(5) John, vividly remembered in tradition as "Shawn 'ac Wawthayzh", i.e. John MacWalter, or John the son of Walter.
He was the famous Gaelic poet of the Walsh Mountain. "His name and poetical remains, after a lapse of more than two centuries, are yet familiar among the natives of the Walsh Mountains ; and if the rare qualifications of mind and person attributed to him by popular tradition, be not greatly exaggerated, John Mac Walter would not suffer much if put in comparison with the admirable Crichton. But traditionary tales must be cautiously received. In one respect, namely as a poet, there is unerring proof of his having, perhaps, excelled the celebrated Scotchman," [source: Hardiman's Irish Minstrelsy]
Of his poetic compositions, which were all in Irish, some have come down to our time. His beautiful Elegy on the death of his cousin, Oliver Grace, of Inchmore, near Freshford, is well known. The bard's name is always associated by tradition with the Court of Inchacarran, near Mullinavat, which was, it seems, his place of residence. He is said to have been M.P. for Waterford, in 1639. Reduced to poverty in his old age, probably owing to Cromwell's confiscations, and become completely blind, he at length breathed his last at the Moat of Lismatigue where some kind friend had given him the shelter of a roof. His birth may be approximately assigned to the year 1580, and his death to 1660. His wife was Johanna, or Mary, Strong, of Dunkit ; but by her he had no issue.
Besides the above sons, Walter Walsh had four daughters, as may be gathered from his Caoine, composed by his son, John Mac Walter. In this Caoine occurs a stanza, of which the following is a literal translation :
"O dear and beloved father, what noble sons-in-law you brought to this country. Mandeville of Ballydine, Devereux of Ballyma[gir], George of the flocks and herds, and William Wall the golden-hearted. You never had a son-in-law of inferior rank ; and you would have had Den, too, were it not for your close relationship to him."
From the history of the Devereux family we learn that Jean, daughter of Walter Walsh of the Mountain, married Philip Devereux (son of Sir James Devereux), of Ballymagir, Co. Wexford, who died in 1635.
Walter Walsh, the son of Robert, son of Walter, succeeded his grandfather as Lord of the Mountain, in 1619, being then a youth of 18 years of age. On the 28th April, 1614, a grant was made by Robert Cowley, gent., "of the wardship of Walter Walshe, son and heir of Robert fitz Walter Walshe of Ballinegown (Ballygown), in Co. Kilkenny, deceased ; for a fine of £57 6s. 8d. Irish. On the 26th July, 1637, a grant in virtue of the Commission for remedy of Defective Titles, for a fine of £15, was made by King Charles I., to him, his heirs and assigns for ever, of the whole manor of Castlehoyle, in the Co. Kilkenny, and of the manor of Courthale, an ancient inheritance of the Walshs, in the Co. Wexford. The following is extracted from the letters patent issued on the occasion "
"We give grant, bargain, sell, release, and confirm to aforesaid Walter Walsh, the entire of the Castle, Manor House and lands of Castlehoyle alias Lettercorbally, with the appurtenances; of all the house, houses, villages and lands at Bawnetoodery, Killcolman, Glasineigh, Newchurch, Brownstowne, Barndowne, Ballynemabagh, Milodstown, Ballineteaskine, Templeorum, Templenobegg, Ballingowen near Newchurch, Rahinegeragh, Bolleglass, Garriduffe, with the appurtenances; and all the lands, houses, and hereditaments now or lately in the tenure or occupation of the aforesaid Walter's tenants or farmers, estimated the third part of the houses, villages, hamlets and lands of Ballynegaunanagh, Shanballynagarrowe, and Attingaddy, and also one-third part of the houses, villages, hamlets and lands of Derrylackagh and Carrigscarecloney, with the entire villages and lands of Harristowne, Ballinecooley, Balliworthy, Ballineclony, Coolbane, the lower town of Harrestown, Rochestowne, and Cloneashe, with their appurtenances; and also one-third of the houses, villages, hamlets and lands of Knockmelane, Walterstowne, Ginkinstowne, with one-half of the house and lands of Ballymorrison, and also two divisions of the village, villages, hamlets and lands of Garrygaug, with all the villages and lands of Corbally, Killaghie, Coolenymudd, Boshermill, Ballyngoune, with also the one half of the houses, villages, or hamlets, and lands of Ballymonie, Ballintlea, Ballingownemore, Ballygownbeg near Ballygownmore, Garranderagh, Killandrew, Molynevatty, Glandonnell, Skart and Ballydermody, with their appurtenances, and all the lands, tenements, and hereditaments now or lately in the tenure of occupation of the aforesaid Walter's tenants, or farmers, estimated one messuage and ten acres of lands of Jerrypoint, English measure, with also one-third part of the house, houses, hamlets and lands of Robinstowne, and all the villages and lands of Ballintober, Kilcronane, Ballycarreu, Ballyknockbeg, Monyhanry, Skarduffe, Ballinvagh, Inishnecarrin, Ballyogreeke, with their appurtenances; one toft and garden and ten acres of land in Killfane, and one messuage and acre of land, English measure, in the fields and divisions of the land of Gurtcullen near Kilmoge; and also the following yearly rents of chief tenants, viz., four shillings sterling for one-third part of the village and lands of Knockmelane, Walterstowne, and in half of Ballymorrison, Ginkinstowne, Shanballynagarrow, Attingaddy, Derrylackagh, Currasarecloney with its commonage, in the possession of Philip Walsh fitz Robert, and four shillings, English money, for the other third part of Knockmelane, Walterstowne and the one half of Ballimorrison, Ginkinstowne, Shanballynagarrowe, Attingaddy, Derrylackagh and Currascarecloney, in the possession of Philip Walsh fitz Robert, with their common pasture grounds; and seventeen shillings and sixpence sterling from the lands of Ballinrobbuck and Ballynegowenyne, with their commonages; and 11 shillings sterling out of the lands of Lisdronyne, Muckvally and Cloghrane, with their commonages; and 17s. 6d. from the lands of Ballyhemin, with its commonage; with all the other lands and hereditaments of which rents and service are due and to be paid and given at the aforesaid Manor of Castlhoyle. All of which premises are situated, lying and being in the County of Kilkenny. - Rent 4l. 10s. 0d. English."
"And further... we grant ... that the aforesaid castles, houses, and lands of Castlehoyle and Littercorbally, and the rest of all other lands, tenements and hereditaments, specified in these presents, lying and being in the county of Kilkenny aforesaid... be reputed and called one entire Manor in name and effect; and that the same Manor... shall be called... the Manor of Castlehoyle, and enjoy all the rights and privileges appertaining to a Manor..."
"Our aforesaid Castle, Manor, house, village, villages, hamlets, lands, tenements and hereditaments whatsoever... to be possessed, enjoyed and held by the aforesaid Walter Walsh, his heirs and assigns, excepting the aforementioned houses and lands of Bollyglasse and Rochestowne. And imprimis the said house and lands of Bolliglasse to be possessed, enjoyed and held by the aforesaid Walter Walsh, his heirs and assigns; and also the said house and lands of Rochestowne to be possessed, enjoyed and held by the aforesaid Walter Walsh, his heirs and assigns, for the sole use and service of Edward Denne of Rochestowne aforesaid, his heirs and assigns."
From the above document it will be seen that, in 1637, the Castlehale, or Walsh Mountain, estate extended from Kilmoganny to Skart and Cloonassy, in the parish of Mullinavat, and from Ballyglassoon, beside Bessborough Demesne, to the eastern border of Smithstown, in the parish of Rosbercon. It also included the townlands of Owning Springfield, Fanningstown and Kilamanahan, till 1614, and the townland of Cloone, near Kilmoganny, till 1446. It, moreover, included, till 1374, the manor and town of Melagh, or Meallaghmore, and Cannderstown, or Garranmacandrew, now represented by the civil parish of Tullahought and most of the Marquis of Ormond's estate in the civil parish of Killamery. Castlebanny, too, must be added, and probably, also, Ballyhale and other neighboring townlands. Hence the original grant made to the Walshs, of lands along the Mountain, must have been of very considerable extent. Even Castlejohn, in the Co. Tipperary, but bordering on Co. Kilkenny, is claimed to have been Walsh property, in the following passage from the Caoine of Walter Walsh, by his son John Mac Walter "
"They (i.e. the Walshs) built Castlehale, Castlejohn, and Castlebanny ; Knockmaelan Castle, in proximity ' Ballynacooly castle, on the side of the declivity. They built a Court in Inchacarran, and a castle on the brow of the Skart."
Their hereditary possessions in the Co. Wexford consisted of the Manor of Courthale, otherwise Corrigbrin (now Carrickbryne), comprising the towns and land of Courthoile, Rahindoy, Rathkerry and Rahincloney, of which Walter Walsh of Castlehale died seisin in 1619.
To return to Walter Walsh of Castlehale. He was M.P. for Co. Kilkenny in 1639 and following years. During the stormy period of the Confederation of Kilkenny, he took an active part with his Catholic fellow-countrymen in their struggle for religion and country. He must have impressed the Papal Nuncio Monsignor Rinuccini, very favorably, if it be true, as stated in an old Irish poem, that the latter honoured him with a visit to Castlehale. He died suddenly, while sitting at table, in New Ross, some time between 1650 and 1655, but the exact year is unknown. In 1625 he had married the Lady Magdelen Sheffield, 2nd daughter of Sir John Sheffield and grand-daughter of Edmund, 3rd Lord Sheffield and 1st Earl of Mulgrave ; they had the following issue :
(1) Edmund, eldest son and heir, killed in the King's service, that is, during the Cromwelliam campaign of 1649-50. Portion of his Caoine was recited for the writer, in 1892, but it contained nothing more than an enumeration of his many noble qualities. It is not stated where exactly he met his death. There is a tradition that he was at first buried on the battle-field, where his life had been cut short so prematurely ; that some nights afterwards, his spirit appeared to his footman, told him where his body lay, and desired him to convey it thence to the burial-place of his forefathers ; and that his behest was loyally fulfilled by the faithful servant. He was the last of the Walshs to live in Inchacarran Court. As his parents were not married till 1625, he cannot have been more than 23 or 24 years old at his death. By his wife, Margaret Grace, whose father, Oliver Grace, of Inchmore, died at an early age in 1637, he had a son Robert, of whom presently, and a daughter who is said to have married a blacksmith, and to have lived and died in great poverty.
(2) Hoyle or Howel, 2nd son. He is sometimes described as of Arderra, in the Barony of Iverk, and sometimes as of Castlehale. He was a Lieutenant-Colonel in the King's service, and was restored to his estate of Arderaa, by the King's letter of June 13th, 1661, which describes him as "Colonel Hoyle Walsh, of Castle Hoyle." On "the 26th March, 1663, Hoyle Walsh, 2nd son of Walter Walsh, of Castle Houle (Nocent), Innocent," had a decree from the Court of Claims, for the same estate of Arderra. He died without surviving issue.
(3) Robert, 3rd son, who was a Captain in the French army, and died of his wounds, at Landerseens, in Flanders, in August, 1655, aged 23 years. He bequeathed his estate in Ireland to his brother Colonel Hoyle Walsh. Their father was then dead [see Burtchaell's M.Ps., p. 262].
(4) Elizabeth, who married John Grace, Baron of Courtstown (deceased in 1690). Part of her Caoine has been translated as follows into English :
"It is the saying of every female present, that dear to her heart is the spouse of Grace. I say as an individual among them, as I bend over her with heartfelt anguish, that dear to my heart was her father's daughter.
"O Elizabeth, daughter of Walter, thou art to me a cause of affliction. Well did the scarf of many loops grace thy person, when seated on thy sprightly little steed, and merrily moving towards the mansion of Courtstown.
"O Elizabeth, daughter of Walter, thou art to me sad cause of sorrow. It is thou who wouldst not require the indulgence of a coach, but wouldst take thy seat on a stately little steed, and watch with anxious regard the companions of thy journey.
"O good and gentle folks, pity ye not that a man devoid of reason, should hurry the noble Elizabeth to the churchyard, on a cold wintry day, while she is deprived of the power to return. By the good Saint MacDuff, the condition of her children is piteous ; they are neither arrived to maturity nor possess experience, and are subjected to the control of an evil-disposed and penurious woman. It was on the first day of the present March, that women and children suffered sore anguish for thee, and that I, like them, felt the sad extreme of grief."
She rest in Jerpoint abbey church, between the tombs of her ancestors and the graves of the Graces of Legan and Ballylinch castles.
(5) Ursula, who married, first, in Oct. 1660, as his 2nd wife, John Bryan of Bawnmore and Whiteshall ; she married, secondly, in 1676, Edmund Blanchville of Blanchvillestown.
Some add a third daughter, named Letitia, who, they say, married, first, --- Tobin, of Keimshinagh, Co. Tipperary, and secondly, Harvey Morres of Castlemorres, Co. Kilkenny. But this statement is inaccurate. Letitia, wife of Harvey Morres, was the daughter, not of Walter Walsh, who was dead in 1655, but of R---- Walsh, who was living, Sept. 12th, 1664 [source: Spicil Ossor., Vol. II., pp.192-94], and who was most probably Robert Walsh of Piltown, in the Co. Waterford.
Robert Walsh, son of Edmund, of Inchacarran, and grandson of Walter, of Castlehale, and the Lady Sheffield, succeeded to the Lordship of the Mountain, on the death of his grandfather, about 1652. He was born in 1647, and was, therefore, but a mere child, when his entire property in the Co. Kilkenny, consisting of about 14,000 acres, was confiscated under Cromwell, in 1653. In the Down Survey Books, drawn up in 1657, he is mentioned as "Robt., son of Walter Walsh deceased, aged ten years," and as "Robert son of Math. Walsh" ; but the "Math." is evidently a mistake for Walt., and "son" should have been grandson. By the 148th sec. of the Act of Settlement, 17 and 18 Charles II. (1665-6), "Master [Robert] Walsh, heir of Walter Walsh of Castle Hoyle," was restored to his principal seat and about 2,000 acres of his estate. That he ever effectually recovered the ancestral mansion of Castlehale, notwithstanding, is, however, most unlikely, though he is styled "of Castlehale" in a document of 1683, in which he is stated to have successfully established his claim to 115 acres in Ballynowmabagh (Mabbotstown), 132 ac. in Millodstown, 88 ac. in Barnadown and Brownstown, 12 ac. in Castlehoyle, and 29 ac. in Ballynonie, parcel of his former estate. Some years previously, the Duke of Ormond, to whom the lands of Ballygown, otherwise Smithstown, and Newchurch, also parcel of the Castlehale estate, had been granted by the Act of Settlement, re-granted them to Robert Walsh, and his heirs male, for a rent of £5 a year.
He resided in the castle of Cloonassy in 1689, in which year he was one of the representatives of Co. Kilkenny in King James's Irish Parliament. He is most probably identical with the Robert Walsh appointed a Burgess of Initioge by King James' charter to that town, in 1688 ; with the captain Robert Walsh, one of those who "came out of France with King James II. to Ireland" ; and with the Robert Walsh, who was Captain in Colonel John Grace's Regiment during the Williamite and Jacobite War. As "Robert Walsh of Cloneassy, Esq.," he was outlawed and attainted, at Kilkenny, on the 11th May, 1691. A few months later he fell at the siege of Limerick.
His estate, consisting of the lands of Clonassy and Rochestown, in the Barony of Iverk ; and Newtown (recte Newchurch) and Smithstown (now Ballygown), with the commons belonging thereto, in the Barony of Kells ; containing in all 1,918 acres, was sold by the Trustees of Forfeited Estates to the Hollow Blades Company, June 23rd, 1703.
By his wife, Matu (still living in 1700), daughter of Pierce, brother of Sir James Walsh, he had :
(1) Walter, who died in France, unmarried, in 1737, when the senior branch of the family became extinct in the male line.
(2) Margaret, who married John Daly, of Cork, and died without issue.
(3) Elizabeth, who died young and unmarried.
(4) Magdalen, born i n1684, died in London, unmarried, in 1747, and was buried in Westminster Abbey. Her sister, Mrs. Daly, and herself were co-heiresses to their kinsman Edmund (Sheffield), last Duke of Buckingham and Normanby.
The Walshs of Ballynacooly Castle
Ballynacooly Castle, in Irish called Bollianacoolagh, or the townland of the angle, has been taken down almost to the foundation. It belonged to a branch of the Walsh family, whose connection however, with the Lords of the Mountain cannot be accurately traced. On th 27th March, 1549, pardons were granted to Robert fitz James Brenaghe alias Walshe of Ballynecowle, gent., Oliver fitz James Brenaghe alias Walsh of Kyllaspucke, and Edmund fits James Branaghe alias Walsh of Bernanycoll, brothers of the said Robert [source: Fiants of Edw. VI.]. Robert Walsh, of Ballynacooly, son of James, son of Robert fitz James just mentioned, was born about 1587, and was one of the Constables of the Barony of Knocktopher in 1608. James Walsh, apparently his son, forfeited Ballinacooly in 1653 (during the Cromwellian confiscations). He is not found among those to whom Transplanters' certificated were granted in the same year; and, hence, is presumably the same James Walsh who paid 2s. hearth money for his house in Ballinacooly in 1664. A Mary Walsh is believed to be the last of the family who occupied the castle.
The tradition of the "Raheen" Walshs, in the parishes of Templeorum and Kilmacow, is that their ancestor came directly from Ballinacooly castle, on being expelled thence by the Cromwellians, and settled in Raheen, near Templeorum chapel. He was then a youth and unmarried, but soon after wedded the daughter of a neighbor of humble rank. Their descendant, James Walsh, of Raheen (1713-82), had two sons, (1) John Walsh of Raheen (died 1813) ; and (2) Thomas Walsh of Raheen, father of John, of Ballynanearla (1783-1847), whose descendants still dwell in Ballynanearla (Ballynearla, civil parish of Kilmacow).
In an elaborate genealogical chart of the Walsh family which he drew up, Peter Walsh of Balline (1746-1819), for many years agent over the Bessborough estate, claimed to be descended from the Walshs of Knockmoylan castle (civil parish of Kilkeasy). Such claim, however, has never been admitted by the Walsh Mountain tracers, and is, in all probability, groundless. It is much more probable that he was descended from the Ballynacooly family, as he was a relative of the Walshs of Raheen. As to the Counts Walsh de Serrant, whom Peter Walsh in the above mentioned genealogical chart tacks on to the Ballynacooly family, it must be said that their true connection with the Walshs of the Mountain has yet to be established.
The following interesting document, relating to a member of the Walsh family of Ballynacooly, has been extracted from some manuscript notes taken from the records in the archives of the Augustinian Convent, Rome, by the late Father Darby O'Brien, O.S.A., brother of the Very Rev. P. O'Brien, O.S.A., B.D., Callan.
"Omnibus Christi Fidelibus ad quos presentes litterae pervenerint, Nos infrascripti de clero Catholico Romano Civitatis Waterfordiensis in Regno Hiberniae, salutem in Domino. Cum pium sit ac honestum veritati testimonium perhibere ne error aut deceptio praejudicii ipsam opprimat ; Cumque R. P. Fr. Edmundus Valesius sive de Valois, Ordinus S. Augustini nunc vel nuper Compostellae degens, testimonium a no[t] is de fide ac genere authenticum postulasset, Nos, igitur, postulato tam justo libenter annuentes, tenore praesentium fidem facimus ac testamur praedictum R. P. Edmundum Valesium sive de Valois ex legitimo matrimonio natum filium esse D. Roberti Valesii, Domini de Ballynecooly, ex Illustri Domo Valesiorum de Montibus, vulgo Walshes of the Mountains, in Comitatu Kilkenniensi, et D. Catherinae Power ex antiqua et conspicua Domo Baronum de Killballiquilty in nostro Comitatu Waterfordiensi ; necnon Baptisatum juxta Ritum Sanctae Romanae Ecclesiae per Rm. Dm. Joannem Howling, Pastorem Ecclesiae Parochialis de Kilbecane in Comitatu Kilkenniensi, adstante Patrino Do. Thoma Prendergast de Lismatieg et Matrice Da. Ellena Power de Parke. Insuper testamur praedictum R. P. Fr. Edmundum Valesium sive de Valois, necnon Parentes ejus ac majores omnes tam ex parte paterna, quam ex materna (ut ex testibus fide dignis pro indubitato comperimus) ab omni Haeresis, Infidelitatis, Infamiae aut impuri sanguinis nota semper immunes, tenaces Orthodoxae fidei alumnos extitisse ; quinimo propter constantem Fidei Catholicae Romanae professionem, bonorum jacturam, patrimoniorum amissionem, aerumnasque plurimas fuisse perpessos. In quorum fidem has litteras manu nostra subscriptas dedimus Waterfordiae vigesimo quarto Mensis Aprilis anno Domini Millesimo Septingentesimo decimo tertio, stylo Angliae"
"We the undernamed Inhabitants and Dealers of the Citty of Waterford, doe certify that the Reverend ffathers Paul Bellew, Edmund Everard and John Higgins, subscribers to the above Instrument, are Parish Priests of this Citty, and persons worthy of credit. Given under our hands, at Waterford, this 24th day of April, anno dni 1713, old style : Barth Walsh, Wm. Dobbyn, Mich. Murphy, Wm. Fagan, Jas. Hayden, James White, And. Knowles, Thos. White, Wm. Campion. "
"Joannes Higgins, Rector Eccliae. Sti. Olai, Waterfordiensis.
"Paulus Bellew, Vic. Eccliae Smae. Trinitatis, Waterfordiensis.
"Edmundus Everard, Rector Eccliae Sti. Patritii, Waterfordiensis.
Arderra castle stood on the outskirts of the village of Arderra, to the west, till about 1820, when it was accidently burned down ; it was razed to the ground soon after. It is commonly remembered as "Porter's castle," from a family of the Porters who occupied it in the 18th century. The townland and castle belonged to Colonel Hoyle Walsh, second son of Walter Walsh, Esq., of Castlehale, in the middle of the 17th century. Colonel Walsh forfeited under Cromwell, but his estate was afterwards restored to him. Thomas Walsh of Arderra was banished to Connaught in 1654.
Mullinavat, the chief town of the Walsh Mountain, consisted of but a few houses, about the middle of the 18th century. In 1801, the number of houses was 35, with 158 inhabitants. The erection of the district chapel here, in 1805, had a decided influence on the material improvement of the town, which, in 1841, was found to contain 110 inhabited houses. n 1871 there were 102 inhabited and 3 uninhabited houses, with a population of 531.
At "Earlsrath, near Kilbeacon, is a very large fort, oblong, and surrounded by a deep fosse, formerly filled with water, with a bank about 20 ft, high, formerly fenced with square stones, which have been taken away to build a house ; in the area, which is about 70 yds. by 55, were buildings." [source: Tighe's Statistical Survey of Co. Kilkenny] The Irish name of Earlsrath is Rawaneerla, that is, the Rath of the Earl. The Walshs of Earlsrath, lately become extinct, were an old family, rich, charitable, and greatly respected. Miss Alice Walsh, the last of them, (died 1884, aged 91), founded and endowed the present Convent of Mount St. Joseph, Mullinavat.
There was a castle at Ballinoony, but it has been thrown down. It belonged to the Lords of the Mountain. Its site is marked on the Ordnance Map. In Irish this townland is called Bollianoona. It appears in the Fiants of Queen Elizabeth as Ballynowne, Ballinone, Ballinony, and Innoniston.
Maunsel's Court stood close to the bounds of Croobally and Coolanimod, in the townland of the same name, but no trace remains of it now. In Irish it is called Coorthaveensheeolla (accent on oll). Ballylusky [another townland], is sometimes rendered correctly "Burntown," in old records.
Oldcourt - They call it, in Irish, Shannachohir, i.e., the Old Cahir or Stone Fort. The cahir occupied a fine position on the brow of the hill overlooking the valley of Glenbower. Tradition asserts that the Walshs erected a Court, or Castle, within the ancient cahir, and made it one of their earliest residences on the Walsh Mountain. The title Baron of Shancaher, claimed by some of the Lords of the Mountain, had its origin in the connection of the family with this place. Both Cahir and Court have disappeared. The ruined walls of the latter remained, to a height of a few feet, till they were uprooted, about 1825. The site is marked by a circular depression 45 yds. in diameter.
Mullinbeg - In the townland of Mullinbeg is the well-known hill called Corrig-thrist, which rises to a height of 1,034 ft., and is the highest point of elevation in the (Catholic) parish (of Templeorum). Templeorum, Oldcourt, Mullinbegg, Garryduff, and Corbally were forfeited by the Lord of the Mountain, under Cromwell, and were granted to Sir John Ponsonby, ancestor of the Earl of Bessborough.
Garrygaug - A castle of the Walshs, no trace of which remains, stood here beside the public road, in the small field to the rear of Pat Maher's house. Its last occupants were the Prendergasts, relatives of the old proprietors.
Harristown - In Irish the people call it Bollia-Hounree, that is Henry's town ; and they say it is so called from one Henry Walsh, whose "mansion house" stood here, in ruins, down to about 1810, on the site now occupied by Farrell's farm-house. The townland was forfeited by the Lord of the Mountain in 1653. The great cromlech of Leac an Scail is located in Harristown townland, though it used to belong to Kilmogue.
The Walshs of Owning
Edmund Walsh, 2nd son of Walter Walsh, of Castlehale, Lord of the Mountain, (died 1619), and of Ellice Butler, his wife, was enfeoffed by his said parents, on the 16th January 1613-14, of the townlands of Owning, Kilmanihan, Ballyfeerock or Springfield, and part of Fannigstown. He died August 22nd, 1637, and was buried in the "Parish Church of Beouly" otherwise Owning. He married Ellen daughter of Patrick Fitzgerald, of Gurteen, parish of Slieverue, and by her had the following issue :
(1) Edmund, the eldest son and heir, born in 1628, was dead in 1653 ; (2) James ; (3) William ; (4) Peter, of whom presently ; (5) Margaret ; (6) Onora ; and (7) Mary.
Peter Walsh, the youngest son, was but an infant at his father's death, in 1637. He succeeded to the Owning property, on the death, apparently, of his brothers without issue, and forfeited the estate, as an Irish papist, in 1653. As "Pierce Walsh of Guning (Owning), gent.," he was outlawed by the Williamite party, April 20th, 1691. He died Dec. 24th, 1713, aged about 76 (not 70, as given on his monument), and is buried in Owning. The last of the family was James Walsh, of Fanningstown (probably Pierce, or Peter's son), who died in 1767, aged 75.
All that now remains of this branch of the Walshs is their monument, in the chancel of Owning church ; it has the inscription :
"Here lieth ye body of Peter Welsh who died ye 24th of Decbr. 1713, aged 70 years ; also his wide, Allice Welsh alias Din, who died ye 4th of Febry, 1725 aged 80 years ; also ye body of Mary Welsh alias Phelan, who died ye 4th of Febry. 1740 aged 35 years ; also ye body of James Welsh who departed this life the 23rd of February 1767 in ye 75th year of his age. Lord have mercy on their souls."
The Walshs of Knockmoylan
Called in Irish, Knuckmaelawn, that is, the hill of some man named Maoldhubhan. This townland belonged to the Walshes. Richard Walsh fitz James, of Knockmoylan, gent., was pardoned May 4th, 1587. He is probably identical to Richard m'James Brenagh, of Cnockmelan, kern, pardoned, according to the Fiants of Queen Elizabeth, Jan. 4th, 1570-71. The pardons of 1602 include Richard Walsh fitz James, of Knockmoilan, gent., and Robert Walsh fitz Richard, of Knockmoilan, yeoman, who was most probably his son. Richard Walsh, of Knockmoela[n], was one of the Constables of the Barony of Knocktopher, in 1608.
Robert Walsh, of Knockmoylan Castle, apparently son of Richard fitz James, married Eleanor Blanchville, sister of Sir Edmund Blanchville of Blanchevillestown, and died before the Cromwellian confiscations, leaving the following issue:
(1) Philip, his eldest son and successor, who, with Walter and Mathew Walsh, forfeited Knockmoylan and Ballybrushin, in 1653, and appears to have left issue ; (2) Oliver, of whom presently ; (3) Robert ; (4) Richard ; (5) Louis ; and (6) Francis.
Oliver, 2nd son of Robert, called 'Lifeur liath, or Grey Oliver, married Ellen, daughter of Fulk Den ; they had issue as follows :
(1) Robert, who married Anne, daughter of John, son of Colonel Kirke, and had a son John, father of Michale Walsh of Farnoge, Mullinavat. The said Michael Walsh married, about 1786, Catherine Hogan, by whom he had: (a) John. ; (b) Patrick. ; (c) James, ; (d) Robert, born about 1796. He studied for the church, and was ordained in France, for some mission, about 1831. Having served as curate at Kilrush, in the diocese of Killaloe, for a few years, he was sent, in virtue of the title with which he had been ordained, to the Sandwich Islands, where, after a zealous missionary career of half a century, he died about the year 1888. ; (e) Philip. ; (f) Thomas. ; (g) -----, who married John Doyle of Lisdrolin, and died in 1841, aged 40. ; (h) Johanna, who ,married ---- Doyle of Milltown, Templeorum, and died at Kilmanahin, near Owning, January 24th, 1894, aged 91 years. ; (i) Michael, the youngest, born in 1805, and known as "the Baronnial," because employed as under-Surveyor of roads in some of the South Kilkenny Baronies, about 1850. He was a good Irish scholar, and appears to have been extremely well versed in the history and pedigrees of the different branches of the Walsh family. He lived to an advanced age, and died, it is supposed, in poverty. The Elegy on John Mac Walter Walsh, published in the Ossory Arcaheol. Journal, Vol. II., was supplied by him to Father Philip Moore. Of his pedigrees the present writer has seen none committed to writing except that of the Walshs, of Knockmoylan Castle (commencing with Robert, husband of Eleanor Blancheville), which is being reproduced here.
(2) Mathew, who has two sons, viz., (a) Oliver, who about 1760, married, as her second husband, Ellen Comerford, mother of the Very Rev. Dr. Millea, P.P. Slieverue ; and (b) Nicholas, father of Michael, of Kilbrahan, Rosbercon. The said Michael, of Kilbrahan had the following issue :
James, of Kilbrhan.
Mathew, of Ballyreddy.
Knockmoylan Castle fell to the ground about the year 1800. Its site is marked on the Ordnance Map, a little to the south of Knockmoylan village.
The Walshs of Kilcraggan
Their ancestor, John fitz William fitz Adam Walsh, descended from the Walshs of the Mountain, held lands, valued at £6, of the manor of Grannagh, about the year 1565. His son, "William fitz John Brenagh alias Walsh of Kilkregaine, gentleman," was pardoned in 1566 and 1577. William's son, "John fitz William of Kilcregane, gent.," was pardoned, May 29th, 1601 ; was one of the Constable of the Barony of Iverk, in 1608 ; and died, as his monument at Rathkieran testifies, on the 23rd Dec., 1636. During his occupation of Kilcraggan castle, a curious incident occurred here, which is described as follows by the Rev. Barnaby Kearney, S.J., in a letter addressed to Rome, to the Most Rev. Dr. Lombard, Archbishop of Armagh, and bearing date Oct. 4th, 1606 :
"There is a person here who was formerly a sea captain and pirate, named Serment, who was made an official (quem Sherife vocant), in County Kilkenny, who came to John of Kilcregan's house, four miles from Waterford, where there was a portable altar, given him by my brother ; and as Serment was a hereitc, they hid the altar under the bed in which he slept. He spent a most uncomfortable night, dreaming that he saw a cross erected, which on his approach always receded, and he was tortured the whole night through, pursuing, the flying cross. When taking leave of his host in the morning, he thanked him, but said he would not sleep in that bed again on any account. Some one tried to exhort him to the veneration of the Cross and the Catholic faith, but he departed obstinate."
By his wife, Elizabeth, or Isabella, daughter of Garret fitz Thomas Fitz Gerald, of Burnchurch, John of Kilcraggan left, at his death, eight children, all of whom, with one exception, were then married, viz., (1) William, his eldest son and heir, of whom presently ; (2) Richard, married to Cicily Comerford fitz Patrick, of Graig, Co. Tipperary ; (3) Garret, married to Cicily, daughter of Alderman William Shee, of Kilkenny ; (4) James, unmarried ; (5) Thomas, married to Ellen Hackett ; (6) Margaret, married to Laurence Power, of Knocktopher, gent. ; (7) Joane, married to Richard Butler, of Co. Tipperary, gent. ; and (8) Ellinor, married to Jeffry Power, of Knocktopher, gent. [source: Funeral Entry, Ulster's Office]
William, the eldest son, married Mary, daughter of Alderman John Rothe, of Kilkenny, and must have died soon after his father.
Richard, son or brother of the preceding, forfeited Kilcraggan, under Cromwell, in 1653, and was transplanted to Connuaght the following year.
John Walsh, Esq., described as of Kilcraggan, was outlawed and attainted by the Williamite party, April, 20th, 1691. We have no further references to any members of the family.
The Walshs of Barrabehy
The castle of Barrabehy, in Tubrid, stood close to Barrabehy village, in the place called "the high woods;" but there is not the slightest vestige of it now. John Walsh, of Barrbehy, gent., son and heir of William Walsh, of same, gent., died June 12th, 1635, and was buried in Tubrid. William, his son, born in
1607, succeeded to the family estate, forfeited under Cromwell, and was transplanted to Connaught in 1654.
The Walshs of Grange Castle
Grange Castle, in the village of the same name, was a square keep, roughly built. Three sides of it still remain to a height of about 25 ft. The ground storey was covered overhead by a strong stone and mortar arch, most of which has been broken away. The walls are 5 1/2 ft. thick. The castle appears to be of considerable antiquity. In the 16th and early part of the 17th, it was occupied by the Walshs.
Pierce or Peter Walsh, otherwise Brennagh, of Grange castle, stood high in the favour of the Crown. He had a pardon on the 26th Nov., 1549, and again on May 8th, 1553. In Feb., 1550-51, he had a lease, for 21 years, of Courtnaboulia, near Callan, parcel of the possessions of Adam Tobyn, attainted.
1562 (Dec. 6th). A royal grant was made "to Peter Walsh of Grange, Co. Kilkenny, gent., of the site of the abbey of Wony (or Owney, now Abington), county Limerick ; and the lands and rectories of Wony, county Limerick ; with others in counties Kerry, Tipperary and Carlow, &c. To hold in fee farm for ever, by service of a twentieth part of a Knight's fee, at a rent of £53 2s. 4d." [source: Fiants of Eliz.]
He seems not to have enjoyed peaceable possession of the Abbey lands, for a time, as there was a petition, in 1565, by "Piers Walshe of Grange, Co. Kilkenny, to the Privy Council, for pardon of the arrearages of three years' rent of the Abbey of Owney, as Donald O'Mulryan, clk., with the assitance of Sir John of Desmond has kept him out of possession." [Ibid.] In 1570-1 pardon was granted to "Peter Walsh of Grange, County Kilkenny, late Sheriff of the County Limerick." [Ibid.] About this period "his landes houlden of the mannour of the Grannagh" were estimated at 40 marks (£26 13s. 4d.)
He died Aug. 20th, 1575, and was probably buried in Pollrone, under the ancient Brennach tomb there.
Edmund Walsh of Owney, Pierce's son and heir, had livery (of his father's lands), June 17th, 1596. He was knighted soon after. He died, July 2nd, 1618, and is buried in the Abbey of Abington, where his monument may still be seen. By his wife, Ellis Grace, who survived him, he had son and heir,
John Walsh, of Owney, who married Margaret O'Mulryan. He died May 10th, 1635, and is also buried in Abington Abbey.
Captain Pierce Walsh, John's son and heir, who married Margaret Hurley, forfeited his estates, as an Irish Papist, under Cromwell, in 1653. His property in Iverke, according to the Down Survey, consisted of the townlands of Grange, Nicholastown, and Afada, now Silverspring.
The only ancient monument here is a grealy damaged one of the Brenaghs or Walshs. It was originally an alter-tomb, but its pieces now lie scattered around. The long front panel, which is unbroken, has carvings, in relief, of our Lord's seamless garment, Veronica's towel, with our Lord's face represented thereon, &c. ; also a tea pot, two spoons, and three cups. One of the end panels has a carving of the Crucifixion, in relief. The table of the tomb is very badly broken and some of the pieces are missing. At the top it has the sacred monogram I. H. S. A cross, with short transverse bar, runs down the centre, having to the right, below, the figure of a man in Elizabethan ruffles, kneeling in prayer, his hands joined together ; and to the left a similar carving of a woman. There is a shield, with coat of arms, over each figure. That over the man is charged with a chevron gules, between three pheons erect, for Walsh ; impaling a saltire, ermine, for Fitzgerald ; the other, over the woman, is charged with a chevron gules between three pheons erect. Above the dexter side of the former shield is the name WALSHE, in raised Roman capitals ; and above the sinister side of same, the name FIz STEV. Similarly above the second shield occurs the name WALSHE. The inscription is in Old English, and runs around the edge ; all that now remaind of it is : (translation) "Here lie . . . Brennach of . . . e, who died I . . . and . . . Brennach, his wife, who died Nov. 25th, 1599. Jesus, son of David, have mercy on me."
That this is the tomb of Pierce Brennagh, otherwise Walsh, of the neighboring castle of Grange, who died Aug. 20th, 1575, there cannot be much doubt. The Walsh-impaing-Fitzgerald arms on the monument are in all likelihood his. His son, Sir Edmund Walsh of Abington, Co. Limerick, also incorporated the Fitzgerald arms, at least partially, with those of Walsh, his shield over Abington bridge exhibiting a chevron gules, ermine, three pheons erect ; and that on his timb in Abington church, a chevron, ermine, in chief three pheons erect. [source: Kilk. Archaeol. Journal, Jan. 1865]
Pollrone castle stood, it is said, close to the church, on the ground now occupied by Mr. Edward Murphy's dwelling-house. In 1653, Edmund Grant, Irish Papist, forfeited Polerone (a castle, a house, and a church), and part of Ballaghgevan (a subdivision of Dournane).
The preceding article was compiled by Dennis J. Walsh, © 2009
Walsh of Kilkenny
Legacy of Castlehale
Walsh de Serrant
A Story of Walsh of the Mountain
Monday, 24-Aug-2009 20:33:53 MDT