Walshes of England |
Walsh Coats of Arms
~ ~ Walsh Coat of Arms ~ ~
Walsh of Warwickshire
Meriden alias Alspath, Warwickshire (Walsh Hall)
- In the Church of Mereden [Meriden] there are two monuments, on one of which are the arms of Walsh (of Shelsley-Walsh), empaling those of Strange (probably the same family that was known as Strange or Strong in Kilkenny and Waterford counties in Ireland), and according to Dugdale (who gives a picture of it) another "monument without arms depicted, made as I think for one of the Walshs sometime lords of that manor, here in Mereden, called Walsh Hall." [source: Walsh 1170-1690, J.C. Walsh] - NOTE: the second monument is situated next to that Johannes Wyard.
- Joan, daughter and heiress of Sir John Wyard of Alspath, or Meriden, Warwickshire, Lord Mayor of London in 1375, married John Walsh of Shelsley, Worcester. (Nash, Worcesterhire, II. 70). [source: The Kyre Park Charters, 1905]
- Richard Walshe, son of John Walshe and Joan Wyard, was the father of John Walshe of Sheldesley Walshe in Worc. who married Margaret Blount (dau. of John and sister of Sir Edward Blount of Sodington). [source: The Visitation of Worcester, 1569]
- In 1461, a Richard Walshe was assessed at one-quarter of a knight's fee in Meriden, alias Alspath, held of the Duke of Norfolk. [source: The Victoria history of the county of Warwick, v. 4, 1947, p. 152]
- John Walshe died in 1510 seised of a manor of Alspath (and Luddington), Warwickshire. His son John died in 1541 seised of the same. Their arms are described as Argent a fess between six martlets sable. [The Victoria history of the county of Warwick, v. 3, 1945]
- The latter (John Walsh), on his death in 1541, was succeeded by his son Francis, whose estate (at Alspath) was then styled one-fifth of the manor. Richard Walshe, his son, had a daughter Joyce, wife of Sir Roland Cotton, but Richard's widow Katherine subsequently married Roger Palmer," and they in 1620 sold this 'manor alias Alspath' to William Andrews of Northfield, Worc. [source: The Victoria history of the county of Warwick, v. 4, 1947, p. 152]
- Sir Richard Walsh, the last Walsh of Shelsley-Walsh, Worcester, born in the middle 16th century, was also lord of Aspath (now called Meriden), co. Warwick, and High Sheriff of Worcestershire at the time of the Gunpowder Plot (circa 1605). [source: The Heraldry of Worcestershire, by Henry Sydney Grazebrook]
- The family of Waldeive had anciently a seat in here (in Meriden, called Alspath). Alan Waldeive left only two daughters, Margaret and El'en; this last obtained the Manor for her Share, and brought it to the Family of the Walshes by Marriage, and from them the Manor-House was called Walsh Hall. They possessed it 'till the Reign of King James I, when Sir Richard Walsh's daughter and coheir inheriting it, did, with the Consent of her Husband, Sir Rowland Cotton, Knight, sell it to William Andrews, Gent. from whom it hath since passed to Sir Robert Fisher, the Owner in 1640.
[source: Magna Britannia Antiqua & Nova: Staffordshire - Warwickshire, v. 5 - 1738]
Related Notes, Waldieve connections
- Alan Waldieve was dead by October 1406, and was succeeded by two daughters, of whom the younger, Ellen wife of Richard Walshe, received the possessions in Meriden, afterwards known as Walshe Hall. In 1461 Richard Walshe was assessed at one-quarter of a knight's fee, held of the Duke of Norfolk. John Walshe died in 1510, seised of a manor of Alspath (and part of Luddington) held by rent of the Earl of Derby, and was succeeded by his son John. The latter, on his death in 1541, was succeeded by his son Francis, whose estate was then styled one-fifth of the manor. Richard Walshe, his son, had a daughter Joyce, wife of Sir Roland Cotton, but Richard's widow Katherine subsequently married Roger Palmer," and they in 1620 sold this 'manor alias Alspath' to William Andrews of Northfield, Worc. The latter sold it three years later to Sir Robert Fisher of Great Packington, which it has since been held.
NOTE: The illustration of the arms of Waldieve and Walshe accompany the above article. Those of Walshe are "Argent a fess between six martlets sable," the same as those of Walshe of Sheldesley, Worcester. The descent of the manor of Alspath also reflects this connection to the Walshes of Sheldesley, Worcester.
[source: The Victoria history of the county of Warwick, v. 4, 1947, p. 152]
- Richard Welsh, married Eleanor, daughter and coheiress of Alan Waldeive (and Joan de Whiteacre). The Waldieves held a seat near Mereden called Alspath-hall, which devolved to the Welsh family and became known as Welsh Hall (or Walsh Hall). Sir Thomas Welsh, son of Richard and Eleanora, married Margery, daughter and coheir of Sir Richard Bryon. Helen, the daughter of Sir Thomas, married Sir William Lyttleton. [source: A topographical and historical description of the parish of Tixall]
- Ellen Walshe married William Littleton and had a daughter named Joan. A quartering of the arms of the latter Joan Littleton, wife of Sir John Aston, are given in A topographical and historical description of the parish of Tixall. The quarterings include the arms of Walsh of Wanlip (Gules, two bars gemells, and a bend, Argent), followed by Wanlip, Waldeive, and Whitacre. The quarterings which follow include the names Byron, Clayton, Banastre, Colewick, Peche, Hayward, Huntingfield, Arden, Walsh of Wormleighton (Argent, a fess between 6 martlets, sable), and lastly Littleton.
NOTE: This would suggest that Ellen Walshe was of the same family as that of Shelsley-Walsh in Worcester. Many of the genealogies suggest she was a daughter of Sir Thomas Walshe, son of Richard Walshe of Wanlip (co. Leicester), and Margery Bryon.
Related Notes, Wanlip connections
- Genealogies for Walshe of Wanlip co., Leicester cite the daughter of William and Helen (Walshe) Lyttleton as Joan, who married Sir John Aston. And the daughter of Ralph and Eliazbeth (Walshe) Shirley as Anne, who married Thomas Pulteney. Both Helen and Elizabeth Walshe are often cited as children of Sir Thomas Walshe (of Wanlip) and Margery Byron. The former Helen Walshe is also often cited as a daughter of a William Walshe of Wanlip.
- The other moiety of the manor (of Over Whitacre, co. Warwick.) appears to have descended from Ellen and Richard Walsh to their son Thomas and from Thomas to his granddaughters Anne, wife of Sir Thomas Pultney of Misterton, co. Leicester, and Joan, wife of Sir John Aslton. Joan, widow of Sir John Aston, conveyed her rights here in 1516 to Anne and Sir Thomas. Sir Thomas was holding half of 12 messuages, 100 acres of land, &c., in Whitacre at his death in 1541. His grandson Michael Pultney was holding a moiety of the manor in 1556. In 1573 Gabriel Poultney was dealing with what was described as 'the manor' of Over Whitacre.
[source: The Victoria history of the county of Warwick, 1947, p.257]
- The manor or capital messuage of Holt Hall is first mentioned in 1526, when Joan Aston, widow, conveyed her rights in it to Sir Thomas Pulteney and Anne his wife, her cousin and co-heiress with her of part of Over Whitacre (q.v.). Sir Thomas died in 1541 seised of the manor, which passed to his son Francis. Michael Pulteney and his wife Katherine were dealing with it in 1566. Michael's brother and heir Gabriel held the manor in 1573. [source: The Victoria history of the county of Warwick, 1947, p. 191]
Additional Warwickshire Notes
- Among the witnesses to the charter of Robert, son of Robert, Earl of Leicester, to the Abbey of Nun-Eaton in Warkwickshire, founded in the reign of Henry II by Robert, senior, included Rogero Walensi. [source: Genealogical memoir of the family of Montmorency, styled De Marisco or Morres]
- The name Richard Walensis appears in a list of Warwickshire Knights from 1220-1232, taken from the Eyre and Curia Regia Rolls. [source: Lordship, Knighthood, and Locality, by Peter R. Coss]
- Early in the 13th century Hodierne widow of Richard Waleys gave one virgate in Wormleighton, Warwickshire; Pernel her daughter gave half a virgate. The Complete Peerage shows Geoffrey de Peche of Wormleighton as marrying first Pernel, daughter and eventual heir of Sir Richard Waleys of Wormleighton.
- The Peches picked up Wormleighton (Warwick.) from the daughter of Richard Walensis. [source: Lordship, Knighthood, and Locality, By Peter R. Coss]
- The arms of 'Walsh of Wormleighton' are given as, Argent, a fess between 6 martlets, Sable. They appear to relate to the Helen Walsh who married Sir William Lyttleton in the 15th century, and are part of 26 quarterings attributed to their daughter Joan de Littleton, wife of Sir John de Aston. The quarterings also include an earlier reference to the arms of Walsh of Wanlip (Leicester), as mentioned above. [source: A topographical and historical description of the parish of Tixall]
- A Waleys family held a manor at Shelfield (Shelfhull) in Aston Cantlow, Warwickshire. As early as 6 Edward II (1312-13) William le Walsh held the sixth of a Knight's fee (at Shelfhull, Warwick.) from John de Hastings. A sixth of a knights fee at Shelfield by William le Walshe of John de Hastings in 1325, and again by a William Walsh of the dower of Anne, Countess of Pembroke. [source: Victoria History of the County of Warwick, vol. III, p.38]
- In the chancery proceedings of 17 Henry VI (c. 1439), William Waleys, complaintant, versus William Austyn, of Knightcote, feoffee, regarding lands in Mollington (Molyngton in Warwick.) and Appletree (Apultre in Northants.) [source: Lists and Indexes, no. 12, 1901]
The preceding article was compiled by Dennis J. Walsh, © 2009
Walsh of England Series
Monday, 24-Aug-2009 20:29:15 MDT