Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Businesses & Industries

On Flag Day 1909, the Citizens Committee of Wissinoming issued a souvenir program in conjunction with the presentation of the flag to the Henry W. Lawton Combined School.   Many Wissinoming businesses and fraternal organizations advertised in the program.  Important parts of their ads are reproduced below.  Readers should keep in mind that the street numbering system for east-west streets in Wissinoming changed in 1927.  For example, what was 3324 Comly St. in 1926 became 4526 Comly St. in 1927.  Generally, if you add 1200 to old address you'll be in the ballpark for the present address.  For more precision, contact the Free Library of Philadelphia Map Dept. or look at the changes in the Philadelphia City Directories for 1926-1927, also available at the Free Library.

Quaker City Rubber Company.  Manufacturers of High Grade Rubber Belting, Hose, Packings and Rubber Goods for Mechanical Purposes.  Sole Manufacturers of P. P. P. Rod Packing, Ebonite Sheet Packing.  Factory in Wissinoming.  Stores in Philadelphia, Chicago, and Pittsburgh.

The Provident Building and Loan Association of Wissinoming.  Money to Loan in Large or Small Amounts.  Meets at Butterfield Hall, Howell St. above Torresdale Ave.   Regular meetings held on third Wednesday of each month.  Officers:  Pres. Wm. Kuemmerle, 3321 Comly St.; V. Pres., John Goudie, 3417 Howell St.; Treasurer, John Whittaker, Vankirk St.  Directors: August Schuck, E. T. Bender, Geo. L. Price, Dr. Wm. A. Ploucher, Fred. W. Hess, Geo. W. Campbell, Charles Stenger.  Stock may be subscribed for at any time on application to any of the Officers or Directors.

Chas. H. Cook.  Dealer in Lehigh Coal and Builder's Supplies.  Plaster, Hair, Bar Sand, Cement, Knickerbocker Lime, Terra Cotta Flue Lining.  Comly Street & Penna. R. R.  Wissinoming.

Chas. T. Gravatt, Jr.  Plumbing.  Registered.  Steam and Hot Water Heating.  Estimates cheerfully given.  Jobbing promptly attended to.  3219 Vankirk St.

Jacob Kushner.  First Class Shoe Repairing Store.  Shoe Repairing at Lowest Prices.  Work done while you wait.  Best White Oak Leather Used.  All work guaranteed first class.  Orders called for and delivered free of charge.  3333 Howell St.

Horace Eyre.  Headquarters for Sporting Goods.  Baseball Goods, Tennis Balls, Fishing Lines, etc.  Fine Line of Cigars and Tobacco.  Pipes and Smoker's Sundries.  Stationery and School Supplies.  General News Agent. Newspapers, Magazines, Periodicals.  Subscriptions Taken.  Torresdale Ave, corner of Comly St.

H. Traphoner.  Dealer in Groceries, Meats and Provisions.  Bakery.  Bell Phone: Frankford 272.  We keep on hand a line of Fresh, Pure and staple goods, and we desire your trade, we will try to serve you to your entire satisfaction.  Goods delivered promptly and free of charge.  3600 Howell St.

Louis Louderbach.  Furniture and Piano Mover.   Hauling all Kinds.  Coke and Wood by the Load.  Phone: Frankford 958D Promply Attended To.  Office and Residence, 5009-11 Torresdale Ave.

Go to Angermeier's for a Cool, Sparkling Ice Cream Soda.  All Flavors.   Cranes' Ice Cream.  Oysters of all Styles.  Snapper Soup.  Saturday Night.  5926 Torresdale Ave.

W. Scott Curtis.  New Hotel.  Dealer in High Grades of Wines and Liquors of all kinds.  S. W. Corner of Torresdale Ave. & Comly St.

William H. Batezell.  Poultry and Supplies.  Columbian Wyandotts.  Eggs for Hatching.  Pekin Ducks.  Chickens and Ducks dressed to order.  3521-23 Vankirk St.

Albert Kohler.  Dealer in Pure Milk and Cream.  3412 Benner St.

F. W. Schussler.  Get the Best!  Meats, Groceries, Provisions, and Fresh Truck every day.  A Trial Will Convince You.  Phone Orders Receive Prompt Attention.  Orders Called For and Delivered.  Phone Frankford 1204.  3411 Howell St.

C. H. Hiller, General Teamster, 210 Market St., Phila., 5923 Hegerman St., Wissinoming.

Willam Batezell.  Tetonka Brass Band.  Music Furnished for all Occasions.   3715 Vankirk St.

J. Philip Keck.  Hardware & House Furnishing Goods.  Lawn Mowers all prices.  Garden Implements of all descriptions.  Lawn Mowers Sharpened and Repaired.  Agent fot Marvel Self-working Washing Machine.  Does washing while you rest.  Price $15.00 and fully guaranteed.  Free trial given for 15 days.   Bell Phone, Frankford 1191.  5916 Torresdale Ave.

Charles Fullmer, Propreitor,   Enterprise Ice Co.  Pure Pocono Ice Served Every Day.  Ice for Sale at the house on Sundays from 7 A. M. to 1 P. M.  Weekdays from 7 A. M. to 7 P. M.    Office: 5811 Torresdale Ave.

J. L. Fortner.  Shoes & Gents.  Furnishings.  3409 Howell St.

S. Gootman.  The Leading Dry goods and Gent's Furnishing Store.  We have the Best Quality and sell at the Lowest Prices.  We save you more money on your purchase than you get elsewhere.  Corner of Torresdale & Howell Sts.

Charles E. Wood.  Ventriloquist.  With his funny talking figures.  Can be engaged for concerts, entertainments, etc.  3509 Howell St.

Otto Steglich.  Tobacco and cigars.  Stationery.  Dry Goods.  Post Cards.  Candies.  Give us a call.  Corner of Howell and Tulip Sts.

Wilbur D. Glenn.  Dealer in Butter, City Dressed Meats, Groceries and Provisions.   We aim to please.  Give us a call.  State Road and Comly St.

Hargrave & Jones.  Conveyancing, Real Estate and Business Brokers.  3121 Vankirk St.  Herbert Hargrave: Rents and Incomes Collected; Houses for Sale and Rent; Fire Insurance; Ground Rents; Notaries Public.  Edward A. Jones: Mortgages Negotiated; Decedent's Estates Managed; Wills, Agreements, etc., Carefully Prepared; Delinquent Accounts Collected; Pension Vouchers Executed.

Frank L. King, Manager.  King Tea Company for good Teas, Coffees, Spices, Baking Powder, etc.  Goods delivered.  Send us a postal.  Corner of Howell and Hegerman Sts.

George T. Sale, salesman.  Wissinoming Terrace, beautiful location.   Regulated in Constuctory.  Price $3600 - $3750.  See them today.

Robert Young.  For a First Class Shave and an Up To Date Hair Cut.  Howell and Hegerman St.  Massaging and Children's Hair Cutting a Specialty.  Dandruff Cured or Money Refunded.  Barbers supplies of all kinds in stock.

J. T. Goudie.  3417 Howell St.  Dry goods, Notions, Gents' Furnishings, Underwear and Hosiery of all sizes and grades.  Ladies Neckwear and Handkerchiefs a Specialty.

Edward T. Bender.  Contractor and Builder.  6014 Torresdale Ave.  Real Estate.

Harry Field.  House and Sign Painting.  Graining and Hardwood Finishing.   4912 Comly St.  Jobbing Promptly Attended To.

Arthur G. Wilkinson.  Feed, Hay, Grain, Straw, Etc.  Poultry Supplies.   3521 Howell St.  Chicken Supplies.  Horse Supplies.

M. C. Krieble, Secretary, Citizens Improvement Association of Wissinoming.  Motto: "For the Public Good."  It stands and works for a District High School in Frankford, through trolley service to the center of the city, improved side walks, sanitary conditions, shade trees, children's playground and other needed improvements.   If you are in favor of these things and willing to help them along, apply for a proposition card.  3417 Comly St.

Standing Elk Council, No 132, Degree of Pocahontas.  Freedom.  Friendship.   Charity.  Meets every Tuesday Evening.  Cook's Hall, Wissinoming.   Protect yourself and your family by becoming a member.  Any white female 18 years of age or over of good moral character, can enroll or a white male 16 years or over (who is a member of the Improved Order of Red Men) can be adopted.  Pays Weekly and Death Benefits on payment of 15 cents per week.  Death Benefits: $100.00  Sick Benefits: $5.00 for 13 weeks.  It will pay to investigate.

Ella Brenneisen and W. Duryea.  Sons of Temperance, Wissinoming Division, No. 114.   Meets every Monday evening at Cook's Hall.  Howell and Dittman Sts.  Open to visitors after 9 o'clock.  Young Folks especially welcome.  3401 Howell St.

Norman Burt.  Burtt's Pharmacy.  Established 1901.  United States Post Office Sub-Station.  Owned and managed by Norman Burt, one of Wissinoming's first residents who came her 24 years ago [1885], when the town was covered by farm fences and trees.  This is the only drug store and Post Office in Wissinoming.

Campbell Brothers.  Dealer in First Class Groceries, Meats and Provisions.   If you wish quality leave your order with us or phone.  We deliver.  Bell Phone, Fkd. 1326.  3505-07 Howell St.

H. S. Garveick.  House and Sign and Decorative Painer.  Established 1775.   6022 Tacony St.  Phone, Tacony 123-D.

A. H. Welch.  6029 Torresdale Ave.  Heaters & Ranges.  Tin Roofing and Spouting.  Sheet Metal Work in all its branches.  Repairing Promptly Attended to.  Shop 3333 Howell St. 

Douglas House.  First Class Accommodation can be had.  Meals at Reasonable Rates.  3612 Comly St.

The Dispatch.  All the Wissinoming News at all times.  2 Cents a Copy.   By mail, 75 Cents a year in advance.  The Dispatch is on sale every Friday at Eyre's Stationery Store or will be served by carriers; Master Worrell, 3116 Howell St. and Master Vessey, 5725 Jackson St.

Walter E. Conway.  Headquarters for School Supplies.  Confectionery, Cigars and Tobacco.  A well appointed Pool Parlor attached.  Corner of Jackson and Benner St.  Opposite the School.

J. W. Stanistreet.  Music.  "The Way His Mother Sang the Closing Hymn."  Another new song from the author of "In Jail on Eastern Morn" and "Waiting for Daddy to Come."  Three good songs for every home.  15 Cents per copy.  Postpaid.  Send for Catalog and Illustrated Song Calendar Offer.  Or is you prefer to try before you buy send a postal and I will be glad to call and shou you a lind of up-to-date music.  4919 Homestead St.

Thomas W. Moore.  Plumber.  Heaters & Ranges.  Roofs Painited.   Tin Roofing & Spouting.  Steam and Hot Water Heating.  2908 [?] Walker St.

Miss Irene K. Merget.  Pianist.  Teacher of Harmony and Technique.   Graduate of Phila. Conservatory.  5928 Hegerman St. 

Victor L. Rhoads.  Contrator & Teamster.  Bell Phone, Fkd 644 D.   Hegerman and Vankirk St.

Joseph Hanson.  Pool.  Torresdale Ave. below Comly St.

George T. Louderback.  General Contractor.  Cellar Digging.  Stone Work.   Grading & Soding.  Office 3511 Comly St.  Phone 1284 L, Fkd.

George Young.  Florist.  Orders received for Funeral Work.  5912 Cottage St.

Knights of the Golden Eagle, Spartacus Castle No. 67.  Meets every Wednesday Evening at Howell & Dittman Sts.  Fraternal and Beneficial.  Admission fee $3.00 to $5.00.  Dues 15 cents weekly.  Death Benefits: $100.00.  Sick Benefits: $5.00.  Come and Join Us.

S. S. Wilmer.  Owner and Builder.  For Sale and To Rent.  Block of eight well built up-to-date houses.  Corner [NE] of Torresdale Ave. and Benner St.   All Modern Appliances.  Hardwood Finish.  Stationary Washtray.  Tile Bath Rooms.  Electric Gas Lighting.  Terms to suit.  3211 Comly St.

Brotherhood of America, Wissinoming Circle No. 130.  Meets every Thursday Evening, Cook's Hall, Wissinoming.  A Patriotic, Fraternal and Benevolent Organization.   Pays Weekly and Death Benefits.  Weekly dues: 15 cents.  Death Benefits: $500.00 at cost of 50 cents monthly.  Supreme Circle Organized 1847.

Chancellor Day.  Real Estate, Fire Insurance, Contractor and Builder.  Notary Public.  Close personal attention given to Renting and Managing Properties.  Buy and sell Real Estate on Commission.  Odorless Excavating.  Lots for sale on easy payments.  Torresdale Ave. and Comly St.  Bell Phone, Frankford, 5-54-D.

Empire Theatre.  Most Comfortable Amusement Place in Town.  Cool.   Convenient.  Polite Attendants.  Best and Biggest Show.  Matinees Wednesday and Saturday.  All Seats: 5 cents.  Evenings 5 and 10 cents. [in center of block, E side of Torresdale, between Howell and Comly, present site of State Store]

George E. Long.  Contractor and Builder.  Plans and Estimates Furnished.   Jobbing Attended to.  Houses for sale.  3215 Comly St.

David H. Rea.  Agent for James W. Orr, Contractor and Builder, Bustleton Ave. and Knorr St.  Why Pay Rent When for a Small Cash Payment You can buy A Handsome Home in a beautiful location and be your own landlord.  Houses in course of building, and can be seen on the premises:  Torresdale Ave and Devereaux St.  David H. Rea, Agent, at 3403 Benner St.

John Hagan Co.  Established 1888.  Quarrymen and Cut Stone Contractors.   Building and Monumental Work.  We carry in stock a large quantity of paving block, granite and blustone curb, also inlet sewer and bridge stone.  We contract to furnish anything in the stone line from the roughest to the finest class of work.  No job to small or any too large for our equipment.  Stone pavements laid.   Something the town needs.  Call and see us about them or drop postal and our representatives will call.  Estimates furnished.  Main Office and Works:   Delaware River and Comly St.  Quarry: Stonington, Maine.

As descriptions and photographs of other local businesses become available, they will be displayed below.

Hellwig Silk Dyeing Company

Quaker City Rubber Company

Unity Beverage Company

Angelo the Barber

Nick the Barber

Burt's Pharmacy

McCafferty Undertakers

Atlantic Gas Station and Garage

Mickey McHeran gave a good account of street vendors in her book Wissinoming, my hometown.  The chapter that deals with vendors is reproduced below:

STREET VENDORS AND SUCH        

In the pre-Super-Market days people shopped at "corner­ stores" called so because of their location.  Local news was evaluated and recipes traded in the atmosphere of pickle barrels, fruits, vegetables, cheese and meats in the sight of the establishment's cat. 

To supplement the trips to the store, street vendors traveled from town to town calling out their specialties as they walked along or drove by in horse drawn wagons. The "walkers" included an umbrella mender who plied his trade replacing broken ribs whilst seated on doorsteps -- the clothes prop and clothes reel man who favored areas where wash was hung. With props flung over his shoulders and reels dangling from his hands he shouted "Clothes Props," "Clothes Reels."  Friday evenings the knock on the back door was the horseradish man. Dishes were handed out and the grinder whirled away till his measure was filled and it was emptied into the housewife's container.   Knives and scissors were sharpened by another "open air" vendor. His truck contained grinding wheels, stones and other paraphernalia used for coaxing an edge on dull knives, cleavers, and scissors. Primarily he stopped at the butcher shops, but housewives appeared at his truck with the family cutlery, household shears, and sewing scissors. 

Hucksters, "greengrocers on wheels," frequented the streets and one knew what season it was when they heard the familiar shouts of watermelons, strawberries, tomatoes, corn, beans, beets, spinach, and ending in the fall with apples and pumpkins. 

Another popular sight was Mr. Fardone in his truck collecting papers, rags, and scrap metal. He drove slowly through the streets blowing a whistle. Those having anything to sell would hail him and produce any of the three items. He would weigh each bundle and dispense the money. A common question he answered repeatedly was, "How much are papers bringing a hundred?" 

One of the most sought after street tradesman was Mitchell the deviled calm and crab man. Dressed all in white this cheerful black man blew a bugle as he roamed the streets in his horse and wagon. His seafood was a real treat and at the sound of the bugle people scurried from every compass point. 

The Waffleman also appeared on the scene via horse and wagon. Those lined up to buy this treat kept his waffle iron going full blast along with the shakers of powdered sugar. 

The pushcart merchants generally followed the local ball games, especially, those in the twilight leagues. Floodlit ball fields were not in existence then. The fresh pretzel man, nicknamed, "Sloppy Joe," had hundreds of pretzels and a giant jar of mustard on board his cart. 

The water ice or snow cone man had a more colorfully laden cart. A huge block of ice surrounded on all sides by bottles of cherry, lime, lemon, grape, etc. flavorings. He'd scrape the ice with a metal scraper and place the shavings in cone shaped cups or small paper plates, and douse them with whatever flavor you selected. No one would think of weathering a hot day without a water ice. 

The miniature merry-go-round was strictly a treat for the little tots. Parked at various street corners with music blaring, it gave aspiring cowboys and lion tamers a real thrill once they got the courage to ascend the tiny steps. 

The silent nocturnal visitor to the community was the lamplighter. Every night at dusk he rode his bicycle to the lamppost, dismounted and detached a small ladder, climbed upon it and lit the gas lamp. Since the lamppost was used as a base for hide and seek games, there were always children to greet him. 

Perhaps the most amusing and lively of the transients was the organ grinder and his monkey. Also called the "hurdy gurdy" man, this street musician turned the handle on the side of his box shaped instrument. This ground out popular musical tunes. His partner was a nattily dressed monkey that would doff his little hat and stretch out his paw to receive the coins those gathered about would offer him. Some adults would dance in the street as the various musical numbers were played.

Mickey McHeran gave a good account of local businesses in her book Wissinoming, my hometown.  The chapter that deals with businesses is reproduced below:

GHOSTS OF WISSINOMING PAST 

Old-timers, or as they may prefer, long term residents, still recall when:

Cheltenham Avenue was called Dark Run Lane, then Faust Street, prior to its present name.

Window boxes were used for refrigeration in the winter months during the Depression Days.

The bank at Torresdale Avenue and Howell Street was located at 5912-14 Torresdale Avenue, now the location of Ovations Academy of Dance. It was the Oxford Savings, then the Corn Exchange Bank, and had a large brass ear of corn outside.  It moved to its present site and was called the Guard Bank & Trust Co., then Girard Bank, prior to its name of Mellon Bank.

The American Store Co. (ACME) and the Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Co. (A&P), the former painted yellow and the latter red, did business on Torresdale Avenue at various locations from Howell Street to Higbee Street.

The grocery store at 4611 Howell Street was F. W. Schussler's, then a Frankford Grocer's establishment, also Bell's Market, and currently Shop'N Bag.  Store clerks added a customer's bill with paper and pencil and reached for items overhead with a long handled device that snatched the article from its perch on the shelf.  Much of the stock was in bins and scooped into paper bags for the purchaser.

Butcher shops sold meat and grocery stores groceries.                         -

George Louie's Chinese Laundry was at 5910 Torresdale Ave.

The Bookmobile serviced our town since we never had a library.   It would stop at appointed destinations at regular ­intervals to dispense and collect books.

The first weekly newspaper, "The Wissinoming Schedule," was published in 1889 by Joseph Smith.  This was followed by, "The Advertiser, " published by the Merget Brothers until destroyed by fire in 1902.

In later years, another weekly newspaper called simply, "The Journal, " was edited by John L. Merget.  His son, Louis Merget succeeded him. It contained local news, advertisements, and contests with prizes for the winners.  The office was located in the former home of Louis Merget at 5703 Torresdale Avenue where contest winners converged to receive their prizes.

The Elite Movie, nicknamed the Fleabite, was located at 5917 Torresdale Avenue now the site of the State Store.  It was owned by Joseph C. James and John L. Merget and was the place silent movies were shown in the pre-talkies era.  Miss Bessie James was the part time piano player, providing background music for the "picture shows."  David S. K. James was the ticket taker.

After the last show on Saturday evening, the interior was set up for Mass for the Catholic parishioners living in Wissinoming.  Later this congregation erected St. Bartholomew's Roman Catholic Church and adjacent buildings at their 5600 Jackson Street location, which is considered upper Frankford.  The Convent, housing the nuns who taught at the school, was once located at 4523 Vankirk Street. The Rectory was at the 5703 Torresdale Avenue address.

The Northeastern Theater was at 6033 Torresdale Avenue.  Saturday afternoon matinees were crowded as every child who could afford 10 cents admission attended the "Northy."  Our first exposure to people and places outside of Wissinoming's boundaries was from the seat of our- choice in this magic carpet atmosphere of the movies.  We were thrilled by the weekly episodes of the "serials," the mystery stories, comedies, cowboy films (now called westerns), and the early days of Mickey Mouse and other cartoons.  Today all evidence of a motion picture theater has been replaced by a repair shop. Burger Motors occupies the premises.

Men and their ever-present guards, from the House of Correction came through the streets in wagons on their way to work on various municipal projects.

Gootman's Dry Goods Store was at 5830 Torresdale Ave. having moved from the 5900 block, and supplied many Wissinomingites their first pair of shoes, "store bought" clothes, and beachwear.

Goudy's notion store where ladies purchased their needles, thread, and other sewing supplies was at 4621 Howell St.

William Truitt's Roofing establishment was located at 4618 Howell St.

Burt's Drug Store did business at Torresdale Ave. and Howell St. where the Mellon Bank: building now stands.  Strunk's Drug Store catered to the folks at that end of town at 6019 Torresdale Ave., and "Doc" Blumfield's Drug Store operated on the west side of Torresdale Ave. north of Vankirk Street.  The Drug Store, now Wissinoming Pharmacy at 4203 Comly Street, was owned by Mr. Harrison, the pharmacist.   Most of these had marble soda fountains.   They also were the places one took the film from their Brownie Box Cameras to be processed, and went for "free" advice about illnesses.

C. E. McCormick Co., Inc. at 6114 Torresdale Ave., now chiefly an industrial supplier, was a local hardware store dispensing a complete 1ine of tools and paints.  Two others, Kalinger's Hardware, later to become Stenger's, at 5925 Torresdale Ave., and Keck's, subsequently owned by Mecke's Hardware at 5936 Torresdale Ave. served the community for many years.

A self-styled security guard, armed with a flashlight, nightly checked the doors of business establishments on Torresdale Ave. as a safety precaution. The children nicknamed him, "The Two Bit Cop," alleging the merchants paid him that much for his services.

Trucks were seen in Wissinoming displaying signs reading, "For Goodness Sake Drink Castor's Coffee."

The Delaware River at parts between Comly Street and Robbins Avenue were clean enough for swimming.

Wissinoming residents paid a "Poor-Tax" of $1.40 per-year   per-property.

People placed signs in their windows that designated what price block of ice they wished the iceman to deliver.

Other signs indicated "LACE CURTAINS DONE UP" and either "WATKINS" or "LARKIN PRODUCTS SOLD HERE."

Wissinoming Park was filled to capacity as Dr. Francis Everett Townsend, an Illinois born physician, proposed an old age assistance program in the depression days of the 1930s addressed this large gathering on one of his publicity stops.  He came to seek support for his Townsend Plan that concentrated on the needs for old age insurance that was later to become a factor in the 1935 passage of the Social Security Act.  Dr. Townsend was perhaps the most famous national figure to visit the Park.

Scott Curtis' Saloon established around 1910, at the southwest corner of Torresdale Ave. & Comly St., was the only tavern in town.  It has remained in continuous operation under various owners throughout the years.

"Yum-Yum, " a cross between sherbet and ice cream, was sold at Torian's Candy Store in the 6100 block of Torresdale Ave. near Devereaux St. on the southwest side.

Merchants closed their stores at 1 P.M. every Wednesday and 4 P. M. on Saturday.

You could buy fruits, vegetables, fish, clams, and oysters at Sweeney's Market, 6001 Torresdale Ave. at Comly Street.  Here Bess, Bud, Myra, and Mr. Sager would bag your purchases, clean fish, and shuck oysters, and clams.  At Easter the store and adjoining pavement would be lined with colorful potted plants.  Christmas brought forth wreaths, grave coverings, and poinsettia plants at the store, and trees filled the front and rear yards at 4714 Comly St.  One walked across the needle-strewn ground, and aided by an overhead light bulb, selected a tree to tote home on your shoulder.  Mr. Sager resembled a cowboy with a downed steer as he trussed up the tree for you.

4707 Howell Street initially served as a storehouse for Van Osten Brothers Ice Co.  It later became a butcher shop, and for many years was home for Schieber's Fruit and Vegetables Market.  Currently Dongal Products Co. occupies this building.

The employees of Quaker Rubber Co., Comly St. and the Delaware River would wave to passersby during their lunchtime.  Pedestrians could watch the freight trains being loaded with rubber products on the railroad siding.

Keystone Telephone Company, with their Delaware Exchange, was used exclusively for business calls in the Wissinoming area.

N. Edwin Lindell, Jr.'s long established printing business was at 4808 Comly Street.

Campbell's Printery was located on Walker St. prior to moving to the rear of 5922 Torresdale Ave.

Cook's Coal Yard listed its address at Comly St. & Pennsylvania Railroad.  Here it dispensed coal of all sizes and lime to be used for whitewashing cellar walls.

Andy Newton's Chevrolet Agency was at 5809-13 Torresdale Ave. in the 1920s.  It had a large showroom on the first floor and spacious apartments upstairs whose windows afforded the owners a vantage point to view parades.  Fleming's Pest Control now does business there. 

George Louie's Chinese Laundry at 5910 Torresdale Ave. cornered the market on keeping white shirts clean.  He also astounded everyone with his system of keeping customer's belongings identified by the Chinese characters written on the packages.

The pleasant aroma of fresh baked bread and rolls wafted through the air at Edinger's Bakery at 5800 Tulip St.  Folks could watch the bakers bring goodies from the oven and take home warm buns, rolls, and breakfast cakes. 

There were two other bakeries.  The one at 6108 Torresdale Ave. was operated by the Gober family and called Wissinoming Bakery.  The other one at 5832 Torresdale Ave., started by the Pichtlebergers, was later owned by the Kamms.  Both supplied pies and cakes in season and specialties upon request. 

J. Horace Eyre's store dispensed magazines, newspapers, smoker's supplies, and sodas at 6000 Torresdale Ave.  It kept Wissinomingites abreast of local happenings and world affairs. 

His brother, Edgar F. Eyres, controlled the newspaper distribution from his home next door at 4627 Comly Street.  Bulletin wagons with their noisy steel rimmed wheels left his yard loaded to capacity and pulled by boys experiencing their first bout with business after school hours.  Most of the homes in the area were serviced by this on-the-step or on-the-porch delivery.  Mr. Eyre would make weekly collections and punch the proper date on the customer's receipt card. 

Kline's 5&10 had its beginnings as Rainbow Electric and operated from various locations in the 5900 and 5800 block of Torresdale Ave.  Starting with tiny toys and novelties and a selection of electric lamps, it developed into a local landmark merchandising 5&10 products, stationery supplies, greeting cards, and house wares at 5810-14 Torresdale Ave. 

On the corner of Higbee St. at 6018 Torresdale Ave. a store operated as a 5&10 for many years.  It stocked the products of Woolworth's on a miniature scale, and catered to the needs of local residents who wished to avoid a trip to Tacony. 

Dietrich's Florist Shop was at 6014 Torresdale Ave. with huge display windows on both the Avenue and Higbee St.  Children always looked in the windows to watch the goldfish swimming in a large aquarium.   Every Halloween the entire right side of the store was transformed into a typical autumn scene with pumpkins, gourds, corn stalks, dried arrangements, and a scarecrow presiding over this colorful exhibit. 

Howarth's apparel store was at 6100 Torresdale Ave., and featured the latest fashions in men's and ladies' wear.  The window displays on both Torresdale Ave. and Benner Street were a haven for window shoppers bent on keeping up with the latest trends.

Sawdust covered the floors of the butcher shops. 

Young's Barber Shop and Jewelry Store was at 4709 Howell St. where one could get a haircut, shave, and also purchase a watch or select some jewelry.  Children could pet the two beautiful collie dogs that chose Bob Young's sidewalk beneath the sycamore trees for their daily siesta.  The grandfather's clock with its three sets of chimes was a great conversation piece for all who visited this establishment. 

Fuller Brush representatives called at the homes leaving a catalog and giving the housewives a free vegetable brush. 

Horse drawn milk wagons from the dairies of Harbison, Baldwin, and Supplee carried the drivers on their daily routes to distribute bottled milk and dairy products. 

Freihofer's and Bond Bread Companies competed for the home delivery bread and cake business in similar vehicles. 

The proprietors of bakery shops generously sprinkled the sticky buns and cake icings with powdered sugar from a large shaker before wrapping these goodies. 

Coal, the main source of heat, was sometimes delivered in canvas bags. These were emptied onto a coal chute that funneled it into the homeowner's coal bin.

H. G. Enderlein Company began its gray iron casting business at Keystone and Benner Streets in 1924.  In this building castings continue to be made for industrial applications and for parts used in the manufacturing of machinery. 

Soabar, now an Avery International Company, moved to Wissinoming from its lower Frankford location in the 1920s.  Founded in 1912, it operated at Vankirk and Erdrick Streets until 1960 when it relocated to larger quarters at 7722 Dungan Rd.  In the late 1960s, Soabar became affiliated with Avery International Co., long associated with fine quality label products.  Manufacturers of labels, string tickets, and pin feed tickets of all descriptions, Soabar also produces the machinery used in the processing of these items.  Many Wissinomingites who were employed by the original company can be found among the work force at this Dungan Road plant.

Lots of local taprooms, cafes, and other businesses are mentioned in Jack Ackerman's poetry.

Return to Home Page