Search billions of records on

The West Klickitat News, Bingen, WA., July 10, 1936, page 1 & 4


     Rudolph Heyting came to Klickitat County in 1877. Recently on a visit here, he stated that he hasn't lived in the county for the past thirty years, but that he was one of the earliest pioneers here.
     "When I first came to White Salmon there was little in the line of buildings in the town. The Congregational church was built, and the Jewett farm was also there. Little else was seen except a few scattered buildings. Before coming to White Salmon in 1877 Mr. Heyting was married to Mary Wisner. He came to the coast on the emigration train to Frisco, and from there to Portland on the steamer, George W. Elder.
     Mr. Heyting was born in Holland. He is a brother to Mrs. Marie Wyers of White Salmon.


     The Indians in Klickitat County were seldom on the war path, but according to Mr. Heyting they did do murder of one time. A family by the name of Perkins was reported murdered some distance to the east of Gilmer where he homesteaded. People of Gilmer were scared and gathered together in case the Indian attack be changed to them. Mr. Heyting sent his mother to Portland during the scare. They found in the Oregonian, then a weekly that everything had been subsided, and the warring Indians were taken care of by the volunteers in that area.
     The Indians were quite interesting to the white people in that area. They were always around the Gilmer territory, and they used their horses to haul people to Gilmer, from the boat landing in Bingen. Bill Frazier, who came from Sauvies Island near Portland, was taken from there to Gilmer by pack horse by the Indians.
     "George Gilmer was already settled in Gilmer when I came here," says Mr. Heyting. The Gilmer section was covered with meadows and was a beautiful picture, letalone the vast fields that were available to feeding stock.
     Bill Tenant and his brother Dick were probably the first people located in that section. Mr. Heyting heightening came from here first in a horse and cart from the Columbia to Gilmer where he homestead.
     Mr. Heyting said that the roads were back then. None were out to that country. It took them about a day to make the trip to Gilmer in the cart.
     "There were no block houses in the back country," reported Mr. Heyting "Most of the block houses were always along the river.
     On leaving Gilmer a road had been named after Mr. Heyting, called Heyting grade. Mrs. Heyting died Aug. 18, 1935.
     Mr. Heyting was visiting old friends here a few weeks ago from Portland. His address there is 8236 Holgate Boulevard.

©  Jeffrey L. Elmer