Reformed Dutch Church
"There are traces of a church on the North side, about 1680, in which the services were in the Dutch language, the Hollanders having settled in considerable numbers along the Kills."
"...the date of the organization of a church on the North Side is not positively known, but that it was at a very early date, it evident from the title page of the old baptismal record...is as follows:
"'Register Boek Van De Namen Der Kinderen Dewelck Gedoopt Bennen Op Staten Eylandt Beginne Van Het Jaer Anno 1696.' In English 'Register book of the names of children which have been baptized on Staten Island, beginning from the year 1696.'"
The Second Ediface
"In 1714 Governor Hunter executed a grant to the Reformed Protestant Dutch Church, to build a new church on the North Shore, probably on the site of the one which...existed thirty-four years before."
"...the Waldenses had united with the Dutch and French Huguenots in forming a church at Richmond..."
"There was a church at Richmond prior to 1717, built probably in 1662 for in that year, 1717...the churches of Fresh Kill and Stony Brook united with the Dutch at Richmond, and a new church ediface was erected...and the three churches became one."
"There is a ground plan of the old church in existence, hexagonal in figure, dated 1751, which is divided into eighty-four pews, with the names of owners or occupants written in most of them, from which it is evident that the congregation must have been a large one for that period."
"In a list of the members and seat-holders, dated Sept. 30th. 171, of the Reformed Dutch Church of Port Richmond, Staten Island, Jan Roll is shown as holding seat 40. This church was built about 1714 and partially destroyed by the British during the Revolutionary War."
New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, Vol. IV. Staten Island Church Records. Page57.
Clute, John J. Annals of Staten Island, NY: 1877. Page 453.
"On September 30, 1751, JOHN ROLL, JR. is shown as being a member of and occupying seat #34 of the Christian Low Dutch Church of STATEN ISLAND (Reformed Dutch Church in PORT RICHMOND).
Wilson, Richard Timbrook. Genealogy of the Roll Family. Ridgewood, NJ: 1921. Page 73.
New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, Vol. IV. Staten Island Church Records. Page 57.
The Roll Family Seats
Jan Roll in seat #40 is Johannes Roll, son of Jan Mangels. His spouse was Margrietje "Grittue" Van Borkelo, widow of Jan Harmensen Van Borkelo.
John Roll, Jr. is in seat #34 is the son of Jan Roll, son of Jan Mangels.
The Destruction of the
"The old church having been destroyed during the Revolution, because it also was a rebel church, and which stood a few feet north of the present ediface...