Search billions of records on

Joseph Looney Woody


Up THE WOODY FAMILY RECORD Elizabeth (Allen) Dixon Joseph Looney Woody Samuel (Sr) Woody Texas Prayer John Wesley Woody Arthur Woody


Joseph Looney Woody

The famous Salt Creek fight or massacre site is near Flint Creek, close to the old Murphy station in northern Young County. The battle occurred on Monday, May 16, 1869.

Capt. Ira Graves assumed command, and with him were:

William Crow
John Lemley
George Lemley
C.L. "Shap" Carter
Jason McClain
W.C. Kutch
J.W. Gray
Henry Harrison

Rube Secris
Joe Woody
Negro Dick, a cook

The cowboys were armed with cap and ball six-shooters and were attacked by 57 painted Indians. The cowboys took their stand in a depression that drained into one of the prongs of the Salt Creek. Their position was about five miles southeast of the present city of Olney, in Young County.

William Crow was instantly killed during the early stages of the battle. According to family records, a rifle ball penetrated his head; George Lemley was wounded in the face and before the fight was over, every man was wounded, except Joe Woody and Henry Harrison.

When the Indians retreated, William Crow had been dead for several hours. S.L. "Shap" Carter had a severe arrow wound and rifle ball wound. John Lemley was mortally wounded in the stomach with an arrow. J.W. Gray had been twice shot with rifle balls, oen in the body and one in the leg. W.C. Kutch had two arrow heads in his knee and one in his shoulder. Jason McClain had been shot twice with arrows. Rube Secris had his mouth badly torn and his knee shattered. George Lemley had his face badly torn and an arrow in his shoulder. Ira Graves and negro Dick were also wounded.


Henry Harrison was sent to the Harmonson ranch according to the Harmonson family, which was several miles away near present Newcastle, Young County, Texas.

The next morning a wagon appeared with A.C. Tackett, Bob Whitten, and Theodore Miller assisting the cowboys. Messengers were dispatched for doctors from Palo Pinto County and Fort Richardson. C.L. "Shap" Carter died the next day and his death was the third victim of the battle.


Mrs. Jane (Woody) Farmer, widow of the late George P. Farmer, was the first white woman of Fort Worth, Texas, and her children were the first white children born here.
Mr. and Mrs. Farmer were married in 1844, and three years later, in 1847, emigrated from their native state (Tennessee) to Texas, first settling in Fannin County, where they remained two years and whence the came, in 1849,

to Fort Worth. They reached here three weeks before the arrival of the soldiers. At that time a furrow had not been plowed nor had an ax or hoe been used in the vicinity. Nature was undisturbed, and not a sign of habitation was here. They camped on the present site of Fort Worth. After the arrival of the troops Mr. Farmer was employed by the government to attend the sutler's store, and he continued thus employed for four years. He then took a homestead claim of 320 acres and devoted his energies to the development of a farm, soon bringing a hundred acres of this tract under cultivation. He also engaged in the cattle business, which he carried on until the opening of the late war, when he sent his cattle west with one of his sons, who continued the business there. About 1862 Mr. Farmer sold his homestead, taking in payment therefor negroes and Confederate money, both of which proved worthless. Later he purchased the farm where his widow now lives. This tract comprises 240 acres, 135 of which are under cultivation, being rented on the shares, and wheat, oats, and corn being the chief products.

Although she endured many privations and hardships, Mrs. Farmer has many pleasant reminiscences of her pioneer life. At the time they settled here game of all kinds and honey and wild grapes were plentiful. Grapes, however, were the only fruit they had, and there were no vegetables here whatever. Ten years elapsed before she had a mess of Irish potatoes. Groceries and provisions of all kinds had to be hauled from Houston, and some times during the rainy season it took two to three months to make the trip.
Mr. Farmer was a man of many sterling qualities. In his makeup were found the elements of a true pioneer. He was a veteran of the Seminole war in Alabama an Florida, and his widow is a pensioner of that war. While he never aspired to official position, he took a laudable interest in public affairs, and was well known and highly respected all over the pioneer settlement, retaining the confidence and good will of all who knew him, up to the time of his death, which occurred January 14, 1892. He was especially notes for his hospitality, his good wife sharing with him in this. The latch-string of their cabin door always hung on the outside, both friend and stranger were given a hearty welcome, and the needy were never turned away empty handed. The name of "Press" Farmer is dear to all of the early settlers.

Mrs. Farmer was born and reared in east Tennessee, tha date of her birth being March 15, 1827. Her father, Samuel Woody, was among the first settlers of Parker County, Texas, He having come here a few years after the arrival of Mr. and Mrs. Farmer, and he remained in the county until his death, about 1877. He was a farmer and blacksmith, and was prominent in his day.
This worthy pioneer couple were the parents of fourteen children, five of whom died in infancy. A record of the others is as follows: Susan is the wife of Thomas Young, a native of Virginia and a druggist of Lewisville, Denton County, Texas; Jacob is engaged in the cattle business in Montana; Molly is the wife of Eugene Small, of Velasco; Josephine is the wife of Dr. Higgins, of Cooke County, this state; Emma is a member of the home circle; Florence, wife of Alexander Henderson, resides on a farm in Tarrant county, Texas; Alexander died at the age of twenty-one years; William died and left a widow and eight children; and Hannah, wife of James Sutter, is deceased.
Mrs. Farmer was present at the organization of the Baptist Church of Fort Worth, and also at that of Enon. Of this church she has been a consistent member for many years.



submitted by Michael A Woody



Home ] Up ]