Joseph Looney Woody
The famous Salt Creek fight or massacre site is near Flint Creek, close to the old Murphy station in northern Young County. The battle occurred on Monday, May 16, 1869.
Capt. Ira Graves assumed command, and with him were:
The cowboys were armed with cap and ball six-shooters and were attacked by 57 painted Indians. The cowboys took their stand in a depression that drained into one of the prongs of the Salt Creek. Their position was about five miles southeast of the present city of Olney, in Young County.
William Crow was instantly killed during the early stages of the battle. According to family records, a rifle ball penetrated his head; George Lemley was wounded in the face and before the fight was over, every man was wounded, except Joe Woody and Henry Harrison.
When the Indians retreated, William Crow had been dead for several hours. S.L. "Shap" Carter had a severe arrow wound and rifle ball wound. John Lemley was mortally wounded in the stomach with an arrow. J.W. Gray had been twice shot with rifle balls, oen in the body and one in the leg. W.C. Kutch had two arrow heads in his knee and one in his shoulder. Jason McClain had been shot twice with arrows. Rube Secris had his mouth badly torn and his knee shattered. George Lemley had his face badly torn and an arrow in his shoulder. Ira Graves and negro Dick were also wounded.
Henry Harrison was sent to the Harmonson ranch according to the Harmonson family, which was several miles away near present Newcastle, Young County, Texas.
The next morning a wagon appeared with A.C. Tackett, Bob Whitten, and Theodore Miller assisting the cowboys. Messengers were dispatched for doctors from Palo Pinto County and Fort Richardson. C.L. "Shap" Carter died the next day and his death was the third victim of the battle.
Mrs. Jane (Woody) Farmer, widow of the late George P. Farmer, was the first white woman
of Fort Worth, Texas, and her children were the first white children born here.
to Fort Worth. They reached here three weeks before the arrival of the soldiers. At that time a furrow had not been plowed nor had an ax or hoe been used in the vicinity. Nature was undisturbed, and not a sign of habitation was here. They camped on the present site of Fort Worth. After the arrival of the troops Mr. Farmer was employed by the government to attend the sutler's store, and he continued thus employed for four years. He then took a homestead claim of 320 acres and devoted his energies to the development of a farm, soon bringing a hundred acres of this tract under cultivation. He also engaged in the cattle business, which he carried on until the opening of the late war, when he sent his cattle west with one of his sons, who continued the business there. About 1862 Mr. Farmer sold his homestead, taking in payment therefor negroes and Confederate money, both of which proved worthless. Later he purchased the farm where his widow now lives. This tract comprises 240 acres, 135 of which are under cultivation, being rented on the shares, and wheat, oats, and corn being the chief products.
Although she endured many privations and hardships, Mrs. Farmer has many pleasant
reminiscences of her pioneer life. At the time they settled here game of all kinds and
honey and wild grapes were plentiful. Grapes, however, were the only fruit they had, and
there were no vegetables here whatever. Ten years elapsed before she had a mess of Irish
potatoes. Groceries and provisions of all kinds had to be hauled from Houston, and some
times during the rainy season it took two to three months to make the trip.
submitted by Michael A Woody